Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
the enemies of Mari Iijima will find only suffering

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
it’s not slander if it true, and vic is judgement proof re: being a sexual predator. also practically every well-funding losing party in impact litigation seeks an en banc review and whatever else to keep the case going. it’s a grift!

Skwirl posted:

If he had just laid low for like 2 years, he would probably be getting new voicework currently.
rekieta was instrumental in torpedoing both vic’s and his own career. dude should have chased ambulances instead.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Sep 22, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Honestly in retrospect its kind of damning how long Vic was able to get away with this poo poo as an anime va considering how quickly he got chaos dunked for this poo poo in every other job he’s had
turns out that dub fans are cretins who don’t mind if their favorite community theater werido sexually harasses an all-time member of Anime Royalty

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Endorph posted:

he got called out for it very quickly (see it being known even before he was cast as ed as mentioned earlier in the thread) but if theres any community that loving hates women and wont listen to them at all, its western anime fandom, especially 2003-2016 anime fandom. you could see the downplaying start almost as soon as he was called out for it. 'lol theyre just mad he doesnt like yaoi' was a big one.
the state (and output) of the industry was just DIRE back then. mainstream success drawing a more diverse range of fans in the past few years of anime boom times has really improved the fan base. even on SA, it was a lot of loving creeps back then. seeing Cool Zoomers wearing dbz and naruto stuff in public is still wild to me. good riddance to the Yaoi Paddle Era

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Endorph posted:

the audience was always diverse in my experience, women were all over the place and always liked anime in the west, and black dudes always loved dbz, etc, they were just constantly, constantly downplayed and belittled in pretty much any space, mainstream or otherwise.

read: i watched the utterly terrible tokyopop 'america's greatest otaku' reality show and for some reason they had a guy rap about how much he hates fangirls and how naruto and sasuke arent gay
yeah the “black guy who really likes dbz/naruto” was always a stereotype, but it seems way more mainstream now. streaming really expanded the audience and the kids are really out and proud instead of “concealing their power level” circa 2005. licenses, merchandise, actual theatrical releases, and etc. is nuts. vic could hide when the biggest fish was the handful of people who worked ADV or Manga Entertainment, but Sony can absolutely blackbag your rear end if you embarrass them.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dawgstar posted:

I guess it would make since Nick is out of practice formatting briefs because he hasn't actually practiced law in however long.

Regardless I love the fact Nick thought he could save this.
i doubt nick has ever practiced, and my guess is ty beard is completely out of his depth/wheelhouse

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mors Rattus posted:

Even more than he was during the main suit, yes.
the ALAB podcast eps do a good job on laying out how Ty was obviously a lifelong trust attorney for Nick’s mega-wealthy parents/grandparents who Nick got in on the alt-right grift instead of Vic getting an actual experienced litigator/plaintiff’s attorney and lol at the results

any lawyer with actual experience with defamation law would have told Vic to never, ever take this to trial with his dogshit reputation

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dawgstar posted:

Oh, fun fact, it's been a while since the beginning of this mess feels like an eon ago but as I recall Vic went to actual defamation lawyers first who were all "lol, no."
even a first-year law student knows it isn’t defamatory if it’s true

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

MechaX posted:

Nah, even that wasn't the case. Even if it would have made it past the Anti-SLAPP part of the litigation, I'm betting the defamation attorneys Vic went to told him that he would likely lose on a Summary Judgment motion because these facts are not that great. But Vic probably didn't like that, started huffing his own supply of "I want to be proven innocent!!!" and alas, he's in the loving out-of-his-depth embrace of Ty Beard.

And it's hilarious that never at one point did Vic actually ever question Ty's competence at defamation proceedings (hell, Vic could file a complaint about Ty with the Texas Bar Association tomorrow and they'd probably look into this even now, because he only sought help from outside counsel well past the point where he already made multiple hosed up filings).
an experienced/competent plaintiff's litigator would absolutely have taken the case, but would have immediately tried to talk Vic out of going any further after all the evidence of his awful reputation kept turning up. however, it seems like a lot of the case wasn't even motivated by what Vic (the actual client?!) wanted, but more about what culture war grievances would keep the sex pest aficionados sending nick money. the only way any attorney can get in actual trouble with the bar association is if they mishandle client trust accounts, and I think even Ty is smart enough to follow the rules there. however, as the ALAB guys said, I'd rather have the odds of a malpractice claim against Ty/Nick than the odds of Vic's case on appeal/en banc.

Dawgstar posted:

A lawyer told him it would work out, he'd just have to pay, so he paid and Vic is probably very puzzled why he didn't get everything he wanted.
he really, really got taken in by Nick's hype and the "turn-key" lawsuit. Nick/Ty had the money, the cause, and the "case" before they ever had the client on board. Nick absolutely scammed everyone, but especially Vic. couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. Vic would already be back doing cons and getting work if he just laid low for all this time instead.

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Sep 28, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

MechaX posted:

Commingling or misappropriating client funds is the easiest way to get the bar association on your rear end, but to say that this is the only way is absolutely not true at all.

Hell, the attorney I replaced when I first started practicing got the hammer dropped on him years later for lack of communication and competence alone (although, what would have been a probation or admonishment for anyone else turned into a flat out disbarment because he was loving up child custody cases for lack of responsiveness or just not knowing what he was doing for at least 4 clients).
yeah, figuratively only, not literally only. it is really, really hard to get straight-up disbarred for incompetence. i've only heard personal knowledge of two or three other cases besides the one you mentioned. even Ty/Nick do not meet that standard. hell, i doubt they'll even get sanctioned even after straight-up lying to a judge about notarizations and loving up their "actual" client's own interests/career in such a magnificently huge fashion. vic is an idiot if he at least doesn't try to make a malpractice claim for the way ty and nick put the grift over their de jure client.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mr. Nice! posted:

Now that the appellate court case is finalized, they can try to appeal to SCoTX or just finally take the L and move on.
what does your heart tell you

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Can Of Worms posted:

Vic never paid them, it was always funded by his fanbase; and yes, they're still giving money to them despite everything that happened. That's why he tried to get an en banc review, to give the illusion that there's still a chance so that the fans keep giving them money.
it's even more attenuated than that, isn't it? my impression was Nick raised all the money/outrage/profile for Vic before he ever met Vic and basically approached him with the pitch, "I raised this huge war chest for your cause on youtube. I have a real winner of a case and a texas attorney ready to go if you just sign here!"

instead of speaking with his own actual attorney who had actual experience in the field and Vic's interests in mind, Vic decided to go along with the grift, and here we are. Nick and Ty have been treating the donors as their real interest, not their client.

it's basically ACLU-style impact litigation, but they picked the world's worst plaintiff instead.

ninjewtsu posted:

yeah vic gets to pay damages but not the lawyers - that's probably why this got so far, the lawsuit was "free" so why would vic look closely at any of it
if i was Vic's attorney, I'd be telling Nick and Ty to pony up for the damages as well as the remainder of whatever grift bux are left or i'd be calling their malpractice carriers (no way Nick has malpractice insurance, but he does have all that texas oil money)

Mr. Nice! posted:

The SCOTUS won’t give a gently caress, either.
idk Brett and Clarence get you halfway to cert lmfao

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Sep 30, 2022

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Can Of Worms posted:

Yeah, that's correct. I'm just highlighting how the campaign still gets money every now and then (the most recent addition is a 100$ donation from about 3 weeks ago).
lmfao who is still donating money to this loser poo poo? incredible.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
as this suit proves, there is no “legitimate” reason to be a fan of dubs.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Midjack posted:

gently caress you, dubs are the only way my dyslexic friend can watch foreign media.
lmfao

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
jesus christ guys i'm joking. I do not care how you or your neuroatypical friends watch your anime. please stop getting actually mad and defending the works of dub "actors" such as Vic Mignogna.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

RevolverDivider posted:

You're not funny and you never will be
do not be upset

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

CharlestheHammer posted:

I thought it was a bit tasteless to relegate early anime arguments in this thread of all places but I guess you shouldn’t expect to much from this thread
“early”? timeless.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

TheKingofSprings posted:

How have you not been purged from the forums yet
the secret to my two decades of forums success is not constantly losing my temper by assuming that every single post is an earnestly-held opinion. also, i tend to avoid jumping into conversations just to have a tantrum. DM me if you need any advice on how! :)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

ninjewtsu posted:

this weird condescension is basically a tantrum, just poorly papered over
idk if you know TheKingofSprings - i certainly don't - but their rap sheet is a bunch of times they blew their top at people. creepy!

Julias posted:

I know I'm not a mod anymore, but can we stop using this thread to bitch about TenementFunster's posting? Besides, they have to live with the fact that they were Zorak's favorite SA poster, a fate worse than death.
lol master class :shobon:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

ninjewtsu posted:

is there a good summary of vic's court case highlights? there's that twitter thread which is an endless parade of every little factoid about the case but is there any just like, "here's the basics of what happened and also the really funny bits" floating around?
the ALAB episodes are a few years old, but cover the merits (lol) of the case and relevant law exceptionally well

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

As funny as it is to dunk on this dipshit for being the failed test case for destroying the MeToo movement... he was simply ahead of his time. Better test cases can and did come along. An anime voice actor is an inherently obscure role, Vic had limited resources, and he lacked support across the industry. No, Vic Mignogna was merely a precursor. Alot of the people who supported him moved along to the flashier, more successful Depp vs Heard case, where they successfully smeared Heard across the court of public opinion with carefully calibrated leaks and gaming of tiktok algorithms. Depp was a far more powerful person with deep links across Hollywood, a beloved teen heartthrob, and star of multiple hollywood blockbusters. Even if he publicly destroyed his own career by being a lazy drunkard on the later Pirates movies. Meanwhile, Heard's career is basically dead after a few mediocre roles and a few lucky breaks, all because she caught the eye of a much older hollywood pervert.

Now, will this movement continue? The chuds are riding high, they've demonstrated their ability to sway social media, and flood the media with bullshit. Depp's good friend Marilyn Manson would like to continue on his quest to destroy his ex girlfriend Evan Rachel Wood, but Manson is a washed up loser who has been irrelevant for far longer than Depp has. And Brad Pitt would also like to destroy Angelina Jolie, but both of them are powerful figures in their own right, and Jolie has been working the scenes to pre-emptively kill Pitt's.

I wasn't posting here when the Depp vs Heard trial was going down, but holy gently caress Twitter and Tiktok and Reddit were loving unusable during then.
the ALAB podcast goes into this, and how completely Nick did it in the most dumbfuck backwards manner imaginable. the first rule of test case impact litigation is you have to find the world's most blameless, sympathetic actual victim ever. it's why Rosa Parks was a sweet lady, why the Loving v. Virginia couple was a non-threatening white man and black woman, and why the lead plaintiff in Obergefell v. Hodges was a "respectable-looking" old white guy. Nick hosed that all up when he picked a weird pervert with a decades-long history of being a loving creep to just so many people.

all the experienced pro-pervert forces were smart enough to latch on to the guy from the disney movies instead.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

The Heard vs Depp case has nothing to do with the Vic debacle aside from some of the same culture warrior people latching on to it, which is hardly a unique occurrence. It also has nothing to do with anime.
agreed. it's an example of why you need a broadly-sympathetic figure when doing impact litigation! you don't need any specialized legal knowledge to realize that choosing vic to represent "men wronged by the excesses of the MeToo movement" would be a bad idea. nick did it anyway because he is uniquely stupid.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

ninjewtsu posted:

was nick actually doing anything before this?
not that you can tell, but he's supposed to be an attorney. it's why he called his podcast/stream the reddit-rear end name "Lawsplaning The Interwebs"

Ty will almost certainly go back to being the anonymous and barely-competent trust attorney he was prior to nick dragging him into the grift.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, they really latched onto the Heard thing. Nick, the assorted ComicsGate crowd, just hundreds of videos.
yeah it’s hilarious how fast they left Vic in the wind after he kept losing and stories about him being a creep kept coming out at deposition. Sure, Depp was probably even more violent and dangerous than Vic based on the factual stipulations alone, but who would want to cross good ol’ Captain Jack?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Skwirl posted:

If he was mostly doing wills and estate planning his main client base probably isn't that online.
the ALAB theory is that Ty was a career trust/transactional attorney who oversaw disbursement of Nick's texas oil family money. instead of hiring a real plaintiff's litigator who would have represented Vic on commission, Nick talked Ty into signing onto the case in a fun bit of not-quite-self-dealing so they could bill against the GoFundMe griftbux.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Piell posted:

You can actually pinpoint the second his heart rips in half
https://twitter.com/KathrynTewson/status/1577857101585866752
i've never seen a video of this guy before and he's a decade older than i would have assumed for getting so high on his own bullshit as to end up in this position.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Anora posted:

https://twitter.com/LasRataAlada/status/1578033130795339776

LOL, Nick, knows how to compile evidence, that's a hoot.
technically, he helped compile a mountain of evidence of his own client's history of sexual harassment

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
lmfao from the summary:

quote:

The court however also determined the attorney's fee amount initially awarded to Rial and Toye was less than what was "supported by factually sufficient evidence."

Therefore, the appeals court ordered the Tarrant County District Court to redetermine the awards that Mignogna must pay Rial and Toye for their attorney's fees. Otherwise, the appeals court rejected all points of Mignogna's appeal and affirmed the original ruling of the trial court. The appeals court also ordered Mignogna to "pay all costs of this appeal."
it is impressive to lose an appeal that hard

quote:

the Texas Second Court of Appeals' majority opinion stated the trial court "failed to factor in all of the testimony addressing expertise and experience
“he groped so many people that it cost $250,000+ just to talk to everyone” lmfao

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm not sure how it works in Texas, but in FL the only thing that Vic would be able to appeal to the state supreme court would be the attorneys fee change. In FL if the appellate court affirms a decision without comment, those parts are final. There is no further appeal in state. Since the state decision is final (with exception to the larger fee award), he could appeal to the SCOTUS. As I mentioned before, though, he would have to spent a lot of money just getting the appellate books printed and I doubt anyone if front a few thousand in costs right now for an appeal that will get denied without comment.
looks like he did, and the appeals court said “yeah, you’re right. it’s absolutely not enough by more than half!” i do not envy the person whose job it was to track down everyone who had a gross story abo it Vic Mignogna in the last ~30 years

lmfao hbd to lynn minmay, creep.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King
the odds of the actual United States Supreme Court granting cert in this case are at least an order of magnitude lower than the odds of getting the en banc hearing

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Midjack posted:

I'd like to think this is closer to what we'll get but betting on positive outcomes hasn't been doing much for me lately.
idk this whole case has been a refreshing example of a career gross weirdo getting what he deserves, and you can always count on appeals judges to be lazy by default

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Dawgstar posted:

Holy crap. I just knew that guy as a poster on RPG.net with terrible opinions about pro wrestling and for constantly trying to sock puppet his way around a permanent ban.
which forum did he mod?

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

kirbysuperstar posted:

He was a PYF superstar lol
lol this is the second google result for his forum name, but it doesn't appear anywhere in the article. looks like a goon child porn guy, tho

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah that’s not him. I had his info at some point, but I don’t care to dig in too much again.

Police showed up at his house and he had CSAM open on his computer when they arrived.
C-SPAM?

e: oh... oh, no

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

B33rChiller posted:

Thanks for the explanations Mr. Nice.

I would like to add that the principles behind those kinds of laws, and policies of police having to release names of people they arrest are supposed to make it harder for the state to use the police to dissappear people. I think the idea is they should be required to make public who they have captive, and the reason why.
that is not the reason at all

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

B33rChiller posted:

No? That's the impression I had. Care to fill me in?
it is to hold the accused out to public ridicule and reputational harm in anticipation of trial, op.

it’s the reason it’s done predominantly in Shithole States like florida

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

B33rChiller posted:

I guess the difference is supposed reasoning and actual motivation.
systems are defined by what they do, and putting a bunch of bad photos of people having the worst day of their lives on a public website forever is doing the one thing

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Gyges posted:

Actually it's an uncorrected and intentional side effect of Florida's broad public access to government records laws. A peanut butter in my chocolate accident.
yeah, because florida is so progressive in all other areas when protecting the rights of the accused.

total accident, im sure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Namtab posted:

So what’s new with Vic?
he's absolutely hosed and now we're all just waiting around to see if he sues Ty or Nick