Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Abby and I am excited to reading the lp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

FoolyCharged posted:

E: Plus we're not quite a nobody. We're the child of a legendary warrior who lead the holy knights back in the day.

Who has the major crest of Seiros.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Omobono posted:

You just have to imagine all the :speculate: flying around the monastery, spawned by Jeralt showing up with the major version after disappearing for give or take two decades.

This is incorrect.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cuntellectual posted:

There's got to be some way of easily telling, because otherwise it would be weird that nobody at any point in this massive game lies about having one when they don't.

Maybe the little magic light up effect when one activates isn't supposed to be just a gameplay thing?

Shame there are literal tools to determine if you have a crest or not.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cuntellectual posted:

Sure, but the thing Hanneman has in his room doesn't seem like the sort of thing people would be lugging around all the time.

One of Awakening's paralogues had some random bandit say he was Chrom, y'know?

Just because a chapter had some of the dumbest mercenaries imaginable doesn't mean that everyone is that dumb. Anyway the power of crests becomes from their connection to the nobility and anytime you want to be doing something about that you are going to be in the type of places that can test if you have a crest.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
It is amazing how much worse Rhea made that after mission cutscene.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Lord Koth posted:

Rhea's comment is extremely cold, brutal and callous (and it IS), but at the same time it kind of needs to be kept in context. This isn't civilians in the sense of "that guy down the street who said hurtful words to this believer and needs to be burned" it's "that militia member who engaged in armed rebellion and fully intended on putting everyone in their way to the sword." Like, her rebuttal certainly should not be "yeah, it's totally fine to kill them and you should feel good about it," and highlights certain incredibly unpleasant aspects of her, but what's actually being done isn't any different from what would be happening if they'd done the same against any other feudal power base.

It needs to be driven home that the Church here DOESN'T ACTUALLY CARE IF YOU WORSHIP IT, it only cares if you're actively attacking them. This is not a case of "A God am I, worship me or perish." For instance, very few of the high ranking knights of Seiros are religious. Jeralt? Catherine? Another one we haven't met yet? None of them are actually followers the religion.

Honestly, Black Eagles is really not the route that should have been the first for a balanced LP, as it's by far the most slanted of any of the routes in terms of presentation vs. reality (not so evident now, very much so in the future).

I want to comment on this but due to spoiler stuff should I just shoot you a pm or bring up my points in the game thread?

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Dying to protect your betters is lovely, dying to protect a terrified kid is something I can see as honorable.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I'd respect that too, but it's a matter of intent, I think—I don't believe, in his mind, that Glenn was saving a terrified kid, he was saving someone with a higher station in life than him.

Obviously, we'll never know, since his thoughts died with him, but it's what Rodrigue implies.

I think that is a cynical way to look at what Glenn did. By all accounts it seemed as though he risked himself to save a close family friend who was just also the heir to be. With Rodrigue though he completely hosed up in handling that incident which is a running theme for a lot of what will be covered with the Blue Lions.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Junpei posted:

I remember them having pretty good Crit? Or is that just because my Sylvain, who used them, was very Skill blessed?

I seem to remember them having a good crit rate as well but that might have been from upgrading them.

Edit: Beaten by the op. Anyway there is some worth to them on longer maps against a lot of fast opponents.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Omobono posted:

Thanks.
I'm going on a limb and say that if Sothis' power is called out as divine intervention in its name (bonus points for the heaven/time double reading) then this reveal wasn't really meant to be a surprise for us players.

Well Divine Pulse was what the mechanic was called in the last game so it could be seen as trying to keep mechanic names consistent.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Alxprit posted:

Was it? I thought it was just Mila's Turnwheel.

I just checked and you are right. I really need to double check stuff before I try to sound so authoritative.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Faillen Angel posted:

Remembering that Divine Pulse is an option in-universe is UNBELIEVABLY refreshing after Fates ignoring Dragon Veins outside of gameplay or Echoes not updating its story at all to reflect Mila's Turnwheel.

I can't think of any encounter in the story that would change by using the Turnwheel.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tae posted:

I can't believe Jiraiya died, what a type cast

I only just noticed that they shared the same VAs.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Ragnar Homsar posted:

I just did the math and even if Bernie was in Brigand for all of her levels (+10% Str growth), she'd still be a whopping 5 points ahead of her average Str. Given her actual growth rates (yes, I checked), she's about 6-7 points ahead of her average. I haven't even given her any Str boosters.

That is terrifying to imagine. To my shame I have never really had Bernie turn out well for me so I am enjoying watching her being a force of destruction in your current playthrough.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I look forward to seeing this route as I don't know if I will ever be able to make this choice myself.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Arcturas posted:

I am doing my first run Golden Deer, so I suppose I'll go Blue Lions, Black Eagles, Church of Seiros after that? Or would you all recommend swapping Blue Lions and Black Eagles?

If you want to minimize the amount of time doing the 1st act then that is a good order to do it in.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Hilda is also an amazing team mom and has a couple real cute supports about it.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

It is just a meme based on other stuff and if you want to argue about the points then go head into the main thread instead of trying to bring back stuff here.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Dark spikes make it easier but there are ways to beat him without it. My strategy was to use Byleth to take the first hit and then dogpile him as carefully as possible. It is risky but a free weapon and exp is worth a lot.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Shei-kun posted:

Wait, did they literally just put it in a hole under the bridge?

Wow.

I mean putting it in the bottom of a chasm surrounded by one of the most secure places in the continent seems like a good plan to me.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The narrative still twists itself around Dimitri but that is very much a discussion for later.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
If Dimitri had made the breaking speech and then killed him then that would be messed up but something that could be recovered from. Instead we get this mess and Dimitri comes off as a complete monster and every other member of the team as an enabler.

Melomane Mallet posted:

Yeah, Dimitri almost did something awful (:v:); that's kind of the point -- his character arc requires him to hit rock bottom before he can work his way back up. (And please tell me you are not getting into the "mentally ill man should be put down for his own good", because, holy poo poo, that ableism).

There is a difference between hitting rock bottom and the place that Dimitri has ended up. The moment that someone starts enjoying the idea of mutilating prisoners then at that point they are gone.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

I don't think they are enablers, really, because there's a deeper problem here. If Dimitri dies, Faerghus dies. He's the last member of the royal family. Everyone in part one was looking to Dimitri to be the one who could turn things around in Faerghus, which as it stood was in severe decline, divided, impoverished, and lacking leadership.

Turning on Dimitri at this point is tantamount to giving up on and abandoning Faerghus, because despite all his manifest problems, the hope of Dimitri is the only thing keeping Faerghus in the fight at all.

You might have a point if it wasn't for the fact that the group is proving quite willing to follow Dimitri over the edge of a cliff. If they all die on a suicide mission to attack the enemy capital then the nation dies as well. The group doing nothing more then passively whining or worse when the supposed leader is making dangerous and stupid decisions is the text book definition of being enablers.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
And so the death march officially begins. It is what the king demands and so everyone just blindly marches along beyond him.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

Is it really a death march if Silver Snow and Verdant Wind do exactly the same thing, though?

It was stupid in Silver Snow as well but in Verdant Wind there was the resources to back it up. More importantly both factions had leaders who could actually make rational decisions and have not made it clear that the entire world can burn just as long as they can kill one person.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The line itself is stupid as there is no Hoshidan blood in him and Ryoma should know that well enough.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

Claude is also smart enough to recognize that the Alliance isn't that great and doesn't enjoy a lot of popular support.

I'll go more into this when we talk to the appropriate characters in the appropriate circumstances, but the Alliance, like almost every other system in this game, isn't worth preserving.

It may not be worth preserving but the alliance as a group should have a say about just being folded back into the system that they so desperately tried to leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Clawtopsy posted:

fwiw, Edelgard actually acknowledges this in at least one of her supports that I can think of off the top of my head and concedes she doesn't have all the answers, and is completely open to new ideas to uplift the common folk. I think it's the Ferdinand B in which he proposes a system of universal education.

That is their A support.