Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
To be fair Frontier understands game development but they're not good at game design either. Just not quite as awful as Chris' Clown Emporium.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I don't know if PC Gamer was a magazine that dropped sick burns on CIG once in a while, but this one is pretty good re: FDev and game design:

quote:

Frontier is also an interesting choice of developer for this genre. The RTS is a deeply systems-driven genre, requiring precise balances and well-made basic game functions to succeed. [...] Frontier isn’t known for systems-driven design, rather focusing on customization and visual flash over strategic depth. It’ll be interesting to see what they come up with.
from https://www.pcgamer.com/a-warhammer-age-of-sigmar-rts-is-coming-from-elite-dangerous-developer-frontier/

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
What even happened to Infinity Battlescape? I backed that and could probably playtest the beta/early access version, but I kinda forgot about it completely (I have enough of a backlog without trying betas nowadays). They were pretty good about informing people about their progress up to the alpha release, IIRC, and since then I barely heard anything about the game.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
FDev and forum dads are the worst.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Forum dads will tell you that's alright and necessary because... basically the same reasons Shitizens have why of course the big powerful ships should be exceptionally hard expensive to earn buy.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
That's peanuts every single week for as long as you want to keep the carrier though. It's truly mindbogglingly stupid.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
It's the studio that started with free ship/equipment transfers across the galaxy (well, settled systems) and let forum idiots convince them that there has to be a HUGE PUNISHING cost and a meaningful time delay to it (it's not that huge and punishing but originally they wanted it to be). They also started with unlimited fuel for your planetary landing rovers, and due to forum dads they added fuel you had to farm/synthesize. In the end it's just small costs and time delays ie. pretty meaningless busywork, but it adds up over time and is completely unnecessary. Competent devs who trust their own design would have just told the grognards to get hosed.

On a technical level FDev is light years ahead of CIG, their galaxy generator is great and so is the graphics engine, flight model etc. The game also works without crashing (it's not good at all at the whole playing with other people thing, especially if you want to play with specific people).

But they have the same brain disease as Chris and the Shitizens. They just started on a much higher level of competence so the idiotic decisions don't manage to drag the game down as much.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bumble He posted:

eurotruck simulator comparison incoming...

imagine if frontier worked on the eurotruck simulator they'd maybe be like “yeah we'll reduce the price for gasoline by 25 cents“
and thats totally fine.

cig would be like: “soon you'll be able to transform into optimus prime mofo!! all the other games suck! pledge moar!“
(while bridges are missing and everything would be under water)
FDev would start at something relatable like $1.50 per liter for gasoline, then raise it to 15 bucks due to forum dads.

CIG would promise that you can set up the entire economy from "mining" crude oil to refining it to shipping it to gas stations eventually to keep you fueled. It's in the pipeline for Fuel 3.0. But for now Fuel 1.0 requires you to spend $10 of real money for a stock of x liters that you can access which refills every few hours (buy more if your ship needs more fuel faster).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

commando in tophat posted:

Only reason I can think of why anyone would consider this bad is that they take pride in being able to click 400 times per second and that somehow makes them better at "strategy" then plebs who want a fun game
There's no mystery, it's 1000% this. Competitive RTS gaming was all about "who can APM more better".

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

jubjub64 posted:

Is there any way to get $70 worth of fun out of this game that isn't "lol glitches are fun"?
If your time is worth nothing at all, I'm sure you can spend many hours just redoing the game's start over and over again because the game/server crashed, you got stuck in something, you died, etc. Spend hours doing nothing while flying from A to B and have the game crash so you can do it all over again. If that sounds like fun to you, go ahead!

If you keep it up long enough you'll see that you easily get countless hours per dollar.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Rockstar is very good at catching cheaters but only if they cheat in money because that threatens their shark card scam.

If you just want to make the game miserable for everyone else and turn them into furniture or blow up their entire garage at once or teleporting you into level geometry, go hog wild, maybe they'll decide to catch you in a year or three.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
A lot of my money in GTAO was from duping stuff back when Online was really glitchy and buggy on PS3/X360.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
"Super early alpha" 90 months after the crowdfunding sure is a take.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I can understand why a new poster on that subreddit of morons would be suspicious, no one in their right mind starts playing this non-game in 2020 and tries to discuss improvements instead of getting a refund and bailing after the first 10 minutes :v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

quote:

I have to admit, I'm looking forward to the new mining heads coming in 3.9.

The prison gameplay is currently something I do not care about at all, but I'm hoping its not something that intrudes on game play unless you do something stupid.
Something stupid like... playing Star Citizen

:getin:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah but does the new Flight Simulator have prison gameplay?

Checkmate goonie :smuggo:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Asmodai_00 posted:

:reddit: I know some people don't like screenshots but i would just like to ask you a question. If anyone showed you this...would you be able to say its from a game and not an actual photo?

:perfect:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
The famous poll that everyone makes up in their head or the actual poll that was "do you want crowdfunding to continue" while Chris said "with more money we can finish faster"?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Kosumo posted:

Yes, that's the poll, it punches above it's weight.
:bravo:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Ebaumsworld holy poo poo :laffo:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

monkeytek posted:

Here is a question, do you think the CIG money counter does not differentiate between new money purchases and people melting and then buying a new ship? It would make sense with everyone playing these buy and melt games. At least to a point.
The money counter is most likely very fake, but I can totally buy the Shitizens throwing more money at them the slower "development" progresses. That's what Chris promised after all (more money = faster development!).

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

no_recall posted:

Can we say that Star Citizen was in development throughout the entirety of a console generation?

:thunk:
Well, "development" - but yeah the Xbone/PS4 came out towards the end of 2013, and Star Citizen was being worked on for a year at that point. Or actually two years, if the first year of pre-crowdfunding work counts (and it does :colbert:).

Clown Emporium Games has been working on their masterpiece for longer than what has been the longest console generation so far, which is a great feat.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

HorseBodyInspector posted:

I remember commandos extremely outraged by spotting PS4 development kit in CIG LA studio. (Because it is PC game, Sony should pay CIG for port if they wish this masterpiece, pcmasterace.... you get it).
It was around november /2013 around ps4 release, and I have bad feeling that SQ 42 will not make it before PS5 is released, so answer is yes SC development will last longer then ps generation.

In fact it was so big outrage, that Chris himself had to calm cult:
Four R9 290X GPUs and an 8-core Bulldozer CPU in 2013, nice. That would almost run the hangar at 10fps in 1080p nowadays :laffo:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Hey are those sandworms shown in the gameplay footage *checks watch* 4 years ago in the game yet?
Yes, buy a completionist package now!

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Is Star Shitizen still on the way to a huge record year?

Some guy on a different forum full of shills wasn't impressed for trying it the first time since backing (no idea when he backed), considering 8 years of development have passed. And a shill told him

quote:

NPC missions mostly for earning money.
If you got a potent ship you can easily do Claim Jumpers.
Highly recommend trying mining, with ships not in person. This system is very good and engaging.
Which basically sounds like "you'll have fun if you buy more ships!!1!" but no Sir the game is not P2W, no, noooope.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Quoting this so I can find it again.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

I can barely wipe my own rear end.
I think I'd be pretty good
Did you get your cyberpunk hearing aid installed though?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Bootcha posted:

Look, CIG had to go back to Imaginarium and reshoot some SQ42 B-Roll. I mean, every outside company involved with CIG has done well. Look at Turbulent!

Let's see what Imaginarium is...

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/07573638/filing-history

Uh...

Oh.
Was it Chris' fault?

Wikipedia posted:

In May 2017, The Imaginarium Studios was subject to a management buyout having lost £4.2 million over the preceding two years. The company went into administration on 15 May 2017 facing insolvency due to project delays.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Defiance Industries posted:

There's still a few people I'd call a "video game auteur" who are still active, but they're making games with smaller budgets, like the guy who made Nier. And unlike Croberts, they make games that are really loving weird, whereas Chris only has ideas that someone else has already had.

This is the most important part IMO, where true believers show how deluded they are. Chris is purely an idea man and not a good one at that. There is nothing creative, let alone revolutionary about the idea of "everything like real life but with space submarines", every 6yo watching a sci-fi cartoon does that. The only difference is that Chris had the money and contacts to put together his fake game dev company to pursue the idea. Everything else, the 6yo could do too.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

nice

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Taintrunner posted:

What the gently caress. They charge for seat leather on a fake spaceship. Are you loving with me
Haha yeah, did they seriously add DLC customization to their spaceship JPEGs or is this a joke?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Beet Wagon posted:

It has been in for a while, but - and this is important - only for the Origin 300 series (300i, 315p, and 325a) of fighters. They announced a while ago that they were finally going to let players start picking things like the color of their ship on purchase (note that 'purchase' here relates specifically to cash purchases, not in-game) and that they were going to roll the system out with the 300 series. They actually did do that, if you go drop $55 on a new 300i you can choose between three different 'included' colors, but they also included a ton of stupid monetized poo poo. For example, if you want the completely pointless "FRESH BREW KOFI" coffeemaker in your ship's stupid little kitchen area that's gonna run you about $2. The "OTTAVA SOUND SYSTEM" is another $3.

This all takes place on the website, by the way, none of this is doable in-game as far as I know. And they have yet to roll out customization-on-purchase for any other ship. They farted the system out with the newly redesigned 300i and then promptly forgot about it.
This is amazing.

It's 100% what I expected when I looked at the ship skins I had in my inventory, right before I requested the final refund, but loving :laffo:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Pixelate posted:

Hey, they're still here and the dinosaurs aren't.

Also they can sniff out covid-19
Pictured: a dinosaur.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Not sure if there's a gif version but my favourite "Chris is an idiot who doesn't understand anything" source is this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxxlrKlLO9g&t=14s

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Now that the pipelines are ready expect breakneck speed development silencing all the haters. Secret build etc.

-Shitizens, every few months since ca. 2015.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

Rome wasn't built in a day guys, it's early days. Remember, this is an alpha.
I mean if you're thinking about it, they're still in the "building a company" stage.

Baby steps, stop being unreasonable you fudsters.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

I know the laughs have slowed down a bit, and the once fertile lol farm that is CI¬G has been kept barren, but I want you all to know you are appreciated and I love you all.
Once this game releases, there will be a torrent of guffaws the likes of which we may never see again in our lifetimes.
:v:

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
They're just layering the fidelity into the roadmap now, aren't they.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
What is uncle Derek up to these days?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Fidelitious posted:

Mostly making fun of Trump on twitter.
He still posts about Star Citizen and SQ42 on his forums but he doesn't tweet much about them anymore.

You're not going to get any July-blog level entertainment from him anymore I don't think.
It's alright, at least I got two sixers out of his temporary return to SA :woop: