Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
I heard that Star Citizen is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

skeletors_condom posted:

Anyone want to help me develop a new game called Scam Crowdfunder Tycoon (also know as SC Tycoon).

It will be a business sim where the main challenge will be to keep maintaining crowdfunding revenue for an indefinite period.

Something like "Mad Games Tycoon" or "Game Dev Tycoon" but instead of real games you make fake demos, 3D assets and some other BS. There will also be a "send money to Swiss Bank" game mechanic like in the original Tropico.

They are "making" it.

I'll make it. Anyone itt who sends me $100 will get a copy of the game once it's finished. If you send me $200, the game will automatically adjust your score to make sure you're higher on the global leaderboard than the people who spent $100.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

I will totally hand it to the Star Citizen fans - Start Citizen has come a lot farther than I expected. It's implemented ship renting, it's got some planet surface simulation gameplay, and perhaps most impressively CIG hasn't run out of money.

I don't think Star Citizen will ever become a game that I'll want to play because of its frankly ridiculous game design decisions, but I'm genuinely impressed that they're still around.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

skeletors_condom posted:

In the first 20 second or so, I felt a tinge of nostalgia; I was thinking maybe I should play the campaign or watch all the cutscenes on YT. Figure out what happened since SC/BW. Then I finished watching the vid. I have zero desire to find out more about SC2 story.

That was terrible.

To be fair, Blizzard tended to be iffy on the storyline back in the day. The readouts between maps in Warcraft 2 were nothing special. D1/D2 were also mediocre in terms of story. SC/BW was decent, still not as good as C&C or even Red Alert 1.

The briefings between maps in Warcraft 2 were amazing, what are you talking about? I wish the human faction narrator would narrate every RTS ever.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

There's a reason they made the map view so snazzy. The actual mechanics of what's going on is incredibly basic

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

drat it, where's Chris Roberts

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

I want mumbling God drat it

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Is their cute little visualisation of a bunch of changing integers seriously lagging? rofl

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

So yes, they definitely lost Chris if they're wasting our time with this

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

But the economic system stuff would surely be super easy to put into the PU. It's just some basic calculations - you wouldn't have to literally have NPCs flying around, you can just simulate it.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Sadly, the shipment of Chris Roberts got intercepted by pirates

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

rofl yeah they're totally going to save every aspect about every thing in the game. That's not going to be implemented

oh he's already backpedalling

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

The "your coffee mug stays in that forest forever" sounds like an idea that someone who has never programmed anything might have

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

00 Floor 2
01 Floor 1

Nice

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

I seriously did not even understand that this was supposed to be stealth. He's sauntering around this science facility like a gawping tourist

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

*ship glitches out*

man, must be really cold

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

It's -100 degrees, why is there water on the visor

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Does anyone actually like turret sections? Why wouldn't they have the player fly the ship

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

I know it's a stupid question when considering this whole project, but why are they spending time iterating on that? The suit design was just fine the first time around, mark it "done" and move on!

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Snack Bitch posted:

Most people have a to-do pile at work. CIG employees just have a to-redo pile when they get to work.

It's actually a circular system. Every time you finish a task, you just put it at the bottom of your to do pile to make sure you don't forget to scrap and redo it later.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

:trustme: Listen, I hear that they've invented something called a liquid crystal display. I want high-tech liquid displays in my game

:confused: But--

:trustme: LIQUID DISPLAYS

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Quavers posted:

Long Term Persistence Tier Zero Negative-One

:awesomelon: Consumables will no longer be tracked with Long Term Persistence as a result of changes to how it works.
Some other items will also be removed - however a communications post will be coming out soon regarding these changes
Stuff like Money will continue to be kept from patch to patch is the long and short of it.
Sourced from Baior in ETF Chat
Yeah, looks like it will be just consumables that won't go into LTP anymore. Food, drinks, missiles, mags, flares, medpens, oxycans.

What are saved-games anyway? :trustme:

Look, expecting an mmo to keep track of what items you have from session to session is wildly unrealistic. How many items does world of warcraft allow you to store? Like, one?

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

If you expect their chat program to display text strings correctly, then you clearly don't understand game development

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Mirificus posted:

quote:

Find some other train to slow down or stop, let Star Citizen continue to move toward 88 miles per hour.

Oh poo poo, that's why Star Citizen keeps missing all its deadlines. The developers are actually working so fast that it keeps warping them into the future, and all of a sudden it's 2020 and they haven't done anything even though yesterday it was 2012. This also explains the temporal anomalies that cause the start date of development to keep shifting to two years before the current year. Star Citizen is literally ahead of its time!

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Popete posted:

Ok this one didn't sound right to me so I went and looked it up from the actual study it sites and it appears this graph is actually backwards.

study here

idk I even bother with racist idiots. But there you go.

Not to defend racist idiots, but isn't the graph actually correct? It just excludes same race crimes. The "on white" columns look big because the total number of white people is larger.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Dooguk posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxleLJ1wjTc

Waiting for a million excuses as to why this is inferior to the shite that is Star Citizen.

Is this actually a real trailer from Frontier?

It looks so incredibly boring! Like, putting space legs in a game about flying spaceships already seems kind of pointless, but they could not have made a less interesting trailer if they tried. They couldn't at least have the spacemen running? Maybe a light jog?

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

It's like they're intentionally mocking the people who wanted space legs. "Here's your stupid space legs. Have fun sauntering across the surface of a barren planet for 30 hours, assholes"

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

The Titanic posted:

You missed an opportunity by changing the Elite logo that almost looks like a sandworm with its mouth open, too. :)

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Nice try

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

So how about those masks, huh?

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

I don't know anything about game development, so someone please explain to me how you can be 17% done with "Elevator Panel Updates". Other than replacing the panel texture, what could this possibly involve??

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

I played a couple of hours of TF2, and it completely failed to catch my interest. I remember literally nothing about what the plot was or why you were shooting people, which was probably my main problem with it.

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

JackSplater posted:

I have to wonder about things like this. That neon-green lighting in there is just ridiculous. Cars, for decades, have had dimmable dashboard lights because they know in low-light environments you want as little ambient light as possible so you can see well. So now that you're in space, where it's VERY DARK, you want a neon lit dashboard?

I mean, you probably want a bright light when you're driving in a very dark environment, but the light is traditionally pointed ahead of your vehicle, not right in your face

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

On Her Majesty's Video Game Subsidies

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Only Kindness posted:

Maybe I'm a big ol' silly, and I promise I did try to read all that nonsense but my mind kept slipping off it.

I can't tell what the cat person is even blithering about. What's his beef? Who is the message aimed at? What is he hoping to achieve by writing walls of text about a failed videogame?

Surely someone here knows and can put it in a paragraph in plain English? I can't do it, I have to deal with this whole eye-filling-with-blood thing.

He's just complaining about complainers. This is the short version:

- Criticising CIG for not fulfilling their old promises is childish [this isn't really expanded upon, he just repeats it a lot.]

- While CIG's estimated delivery dates were much too optimistic, saying that upcoming features won't arrive for 20 years ignores the fact that CIG has been steadily delivering more content, albeit slower than planned. About every 18 months, CIG has historically put out a new major landing zone. If this trend continues, we can expect Pyro in October or November.

- Complaining about CIG won't actually benefit you in any way, and it won't get the game out any faster.

Frankly, I think he has a point in saying that CIG does put out some content. You could play Star Citizen as if it were a finished game--there is stuff to do. It just looks like a really bad game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Okay, but how much is that in Russian rubles? Asking for a comrade.

About 300,000 rubles now, rofl. And it might actually be a wise investment in this case, just as a grey market hedge against hyperinflation.