Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
So when is citizercon for this non-game? I hope crobear will play some fake sq42 demo with his joystick unplugged or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

I said come in! posted:

This is from the movie Serenity, in case anyone is curious. Joss Whedon is the director, so it has its usual all women are objects for the men to use, but otherwise it's a solid fun sci-fi movie.

Uhm, did I watch some different Serenity/Firefly?

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

tuo posted:

Just watched the Death Stranding livestream.

In your private quarters, you can choose wether you want to pee sitting or standing.

Crobbear, where is this fidelity in Star Citizen? Fire up the mocap rig!!!

So, does that have any impact on gameplay or is it just pissing contest with starr citizen?
(I know taking a piss is what I always wanted to do in a video game (come to think of it, you could do it in duke nukem 3d and iirc it give you a little health? So toilets in duke nukem had more gameplay that star citizen toilets :thunk:)

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Beet Wagon posted:

wow this looks incredibly fun and not at all like the engine is making GBS threads itself inside out trying to make it happen great work everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ud7DARg1HI

This is sped up right? Because it looks like it has normal framerate, but with all the jankiness in SC it's hard to tell if this isn't normal

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Zaphod42 posted:

Lmao, yep. And meanwhile Elite Dangerous which is not run by fraud is already on their 3rd expansion.

But does it have space caves? :smuggo:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

crobear posted:

how to fix space citizen??

Just make it single player, and buy some AI scripts of marketplace if your 500 employees cannot figure out how to make NPC fire at player while standing still :shrug: . Or just multiplayer with few invited friends to mop your floors.

Also use at least one bartender mocap animation on everything to give your game some style. Mixing drink A will be used randomly used for reloading commando's weapon, etc

commando in tophat fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 17, 2019

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Zaphod42 posted:

What I'd do is make it so every single ship is a "medical ship" in that there'd be X crew. When you die, you can respawn on that ship and it costs 1 crew respawn. When the number of crew members have all been spawned, no more spawning from that ship until it goes back to port and takes on a new "crew". (or if the ship gets blown up and respawned or whatever)

That would make a certain amount of sense and would allow for people to die in FPS combat and still come back and participate further in the battle, but also have a sensible point where one team has defeated another's resources.

Unfortunately, none of that jives with the idea that you're going to get a Tier 1 headache and need to get your Tier 2 amputation taken care of at a Tier 3 facility or else you get space-tetanus or some loving poo poo. Nor the fact that special purpose medical ships have already been sold for $$$$$

Or possess NPC on your friend's ship. If you died in your fancy ship, you can man those turrets, or frantically mop the floors, or make procedural eggs as the battle unfolds. Suddenly, the space yacht becomes griefing ship as all your friends respawn as waiters and cooks and whatever

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Soricidus posted:

My immersion will not be complete until dying in the game means dying in real life

But dying in real life means dying in the game. It's tier 0 immersion

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Golli posted:

The big reveal at CitCon will be a mobile game.

When the citizens get enraged, they will answer "Don't you all have phones?"

Why would CI!G do this?

Because Blizzard.

Mobile app, so you can answer the call

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

trucutru posted:

Only in caves can you find whalerium.

But it's only a fraction of what you can do without a specialized mining vehicle. *wink* *wink*

Actually this would make sense: park your vehicle outside and drag some hose (of course with fidelitious hose physics!) to pump whale oil from cave, instead of hauling it out with your grabby hands. They can sell it and then never make it. It's perfect

commando in tophat fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Sep 19, 2019

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
StarCraft2 may have a awful story about space jesus and horrible cringy writing, but there is a solid fun game behind it that isn't broken beyond comprehension, and you can skip all the cutscenes in campaign!

Also:
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitize...tm_medium=web2x
"We've been watching paint dry since 2012."

(how do you format this??)

commando in tophat fucked around with this message at 11:49 on Sep 24, 2019

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z9X-EQEQDQ

Its soooooo bad, what the gently caress Blizzard

Massive cringe

skeletors_condom posted:

In the first 20 second or so, I felt a tinge of nostalgia; I was thinking maybe I should play the campaign or watch all the cutscenes on YT. Figure out what happened since SC/BW. Then I finished watching the vid. I have zero desire to find out more about SC2 story.

That was terrible.

To be fair, Blizzard tended to be iffy on the storyline back in the day. The readouts between maps in Warcraft 2 were nothing special. D1/D2 were also mediocre in terms of story. SC/BW was decent, still not as good as C&C or even Red Alert 1.

Playing SC2 campaign for story is like playing star citizen for fun. You play it for fun missions with OP upgrades.
Also, it was some time since I played Red Alert 1, but was there even some meaningful story? The cutscenes were nice B-movie quality crap, but most of it was just: oh yeah, next mission: kill the other dudes, with occasional mention of chronosphere/iron curtain, and a brief cameos of Kane

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I think you need to watch someone's LP's, buddy!

I'm not quite ready to watch rexshilla if that's what you mean. I recently watched inside star citizen for the first time (that one about revolutionary hand held mining where you fidelitiously pick up every bit from ground), and I'm still recovering :(

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Popete posted:

CIG hanging around conventions and passing it off like they're attending as a Dev company is still probably my favourite part of this whole thing, it's just so sad.

To be fair, they are meeting in a bar near the twitch thing, not claiming they're going to be as devs at the twitch thing (at least it appeared so from that tweet?). Unless they go to the twitch thing giving away stuff and evading security, which they already did, so I don't know what was my point :downs:

Sabreseven posted:

I think either Sirmunchedalot doesn't understand what a computer game is, or he's in massive need of some sort of procedure to repair that brain of his.

Don't worry Sirmunchkin I can explain this criminal 'GAMEPLAY' thing to you, CI(not g) have you covered with a 15 minute cooldown timer on criminals and other naughty people, if they managed to survive that long without getting popped by evryone else the criminal stat is erased so they can continue to PLAY the GAME, if they die in that 15m window then they respawn so the can continue to PLAY the GAME! I hope this helps you understand that its a game and not good for gameplay to do a lovely "Law and Order" episode in it every time someone ganks a commando. :thumbsup:

I know this is CIG, but why not respawn with your crime stat unchanged at some "pirate base" or some poo poo. What is the point of 15m waiting game if you can just get killed and respawn without crime stat.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Hannibal Rex posted:

There's two new spaceships in Rebel Galaxy Outlaw. $0 each.

Crazy!

I sure hope it is luxury yacht and tugboat

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Can't wait to watch this thing. The fact that it has 28 upvotes on SC reddit and 267 comments where cultists are being dunked is :discourse:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Sarsapariller posted:

It's really interesting how open they all are to an angle of criticism that involves the only woman in the company. I mean don't get it twisted she's completely incompetent at the job and shows no interest in it, but that's everyone at the company. So I find it kind of ironic how Citizens are looking at this particular piece and going "No, no, let's not rush to condemn this, even if they're wrong about everything else. This part definitely rings true to me."

I guess their inherent anger at and suspicion of all women with positions of power outweighs their worship of Chris. But they're still keeping the two belief structures separate in their minds. Truly fascinating.

And here I thought that some citizens are getting to their senses, but this just might be right :negative:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
If hair is developing in their pipelines, they should use a piece of bent wire to pull it out. No wonder their pipelines are so slow, even the poo poo showed up already

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
What's visionary is that you cannot get "in game currency" in game (or at least in any reasonable time or just giving up after falling through floor for 20th time in one hour, or getting killed by stairs)

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Is that the fidelicious physicalized elevator coming in?

With the fidelity waiting simulator trains being such a big deal I would expect they at least checked if two trains fit the station. I mean, how does this even happen? It is literally on rails

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

google posted:

bullshit

This is either some galaxy brain poo poo, or complete bullshit. So you have some latency between your input and google, and then latency between google and your display (if you play like a caveman on your own hardware none of it is there). Now if they are brute forcing every possible input, to have no latency requires them to send images for every possible input to you, which will never happen (your basically streaming zillion videos simultaneously). Now also add all inputs that happen within that latency and it just cannot happen.
Other option is predictions (haha, good luck with FPS trying to predict some random looking around). I would think this has so limited usage it is not even worth doing. Even if they would correctly predict 90% of user inputs, remaining 10% would have some latency, and it would just be annoyingly inconsistent. There is a super old gamasutra article about netcode for Age of Empires 2, where they tried adjusting latency as fast as they could and everybody hated it. So they ended up rather having longer latency for longer but consistent, than lower latency but sometimes suddenly changing to higher and back quickly.

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Aramoro posted:

Except it's not trying to predict decision points, it's trying to predict non-decision.

Imagine right now you're playing a game, running down a corridor and you hit a lag spike, generally what happens is you freeze then jump forwards then continue. All this has to do is when you hit the lag spike predict that yeah you are going to continue down the corridor. If it gets it right then you don't notice the difference, if it gets it wrong you stutter and jump to the right place just like before. So then you have to think about that the probabilities of getting it right, probably pretty good for times <500 ms.

Except what you describe isn't anything new. It is basically what every multiplayer FPS was doing since the age of times. At least I read article about it about Quake 1. But funnily enough, that approach described in quake 1 is even better, because it can do stuff like "i pressed key forward" so your local machine begins executing it right away and later smoothly correct it if server disagrees. In google case your local machine doesn't do anything, so this doesn't really affect latency. Or maybe I am too tired to think about their marketing bullshit right know for it to make any sense :shrug:

e: also, "it's trying to predict non-decision". Isn't this like: just run game as if no input was changed? That's truly a big prediction

commando in tophat fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Oct 10, 2019

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Rotten Red Rod posted:

It's more like, in Stadia's case, since your local machine doesn't do anything, EVERYTHING is affected by latency. Imagine playing COD and trying to just AIM with input lag, let alone land accurate headshots. The idea they could execute any sort of prediction of what you might do in that scenario is laughable. Will it predict which direction you move the camera? Will it predict when you're going to shoot? Are you just going to fire your gun every time you aim at an enemy? Will the firing animation play, and then "take back" the shot if you didn't actually do it?

I imagine the reason they chose Assassin's Creed for the demo of Stadia is because it's a game that doesn't need precision aiming and already has significant input lag, so a little more wouldn't be noticed. There's actually people that think that Stadia will be viable for VR, which is laughable. Any input lag with VR is vomit city.

So what the gently caress are they smoking?

crobear working for google posted:

Google Stadia will be faster and more responsive than local gaming systems in “a year or two,”

It cannot be more responsive if you introduce input lag. What the gently caress :psyboom:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Virtual Captain posted:

Star Citizen is Cancelled :frogsiren:

You got my hopes up :saddowns:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Goons, I have a question about that parasite helmet: If you take it of, does the parasite goes of as well? If so, where is my immersion :colbert: .
Also, if you take it of, does the stupid face remain in the helmet? These are some important questions, no FUD!!!1

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Maybe I don't understand game development like your average citizen, but if I was doing flying around in solar system, I would never consider placing center of the world inside a star and call it a day. Instead that would be like topmost layer. So position of planet would be written in that coordinate system, and anything anywhere near planet would be in planet's coordinate system (with center inside of planet). If you'd get anywhere near a station orbiting that planet, you would be in station's coordinate system.

So you don't need to position commando's gun 16 bajillion kilometers away from sun and worry about precision there. I would hazard a guess that any sane game would use system like this. I guess even star citizen works somewhat similar that when you're walking around space station you aren't in the star's coordinate system

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Shifting centers are tricky in other ways. Theoretically doable in singleplayer games (but even there I'd rather avoid it), but in multiplayer games you wouldn't get any benefit at all. The pros lie in placing the stuff relatively close to the star, so the only possibly broken stuff is far away, where almost nobody goes (or it takes hours of flight through nothing, see NMS). Now imagine you took this point with player billions of kms away, then a new player jumps into the system to the star and is welcome by twitching star and planets going out of orbit.

I'm not talking about shifting one true center of the universe, but about having multiple centers for multiple "maps". E.g. there is a separate "map" for each planet, and each has it's own center. When you get near a planet, you are teleported to that map. Each map is has some location relative to the star. When you are in planet's map, your commando is in that map's coordinate system, and you only use star's coordinate system to draw markers for other distant planets or whatever. If you are inside a ship, it can be it's own map, and you need to somehow solve how to render things outside of windows (someone posted here not so long ago how it is done in warframe).

Singleplayer or multiplayer doesn't affect this, it is only about moving players between coordinate systems (e.g. switching them from one map to another). Some additional trickery is required for that changing to not look like players are just vanishing when leaving planet, but you have $300m dollars so that shouldn't be problem to figure out

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I like how the preatorian email isn't starting with "holy poo poo! thanks for all this money! we really appreciate it", but instead just invents some in-game bullshit. Do you even get some holy aura in-game for all this $$$?

(I know that isn't probably the whole mail but I choose to believe that nowhere it contains any thank you at all :colbert:)

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Check out the reply to that :vince:

https://twitter.com/gbatuyong/status/1187398239038783488

e. on the other hand, citizens can interpret it as a compliment :thunk:

commando in tophat fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 24, 2019

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

I just want to know what is "locally exported object container". Is that like locally produced vegetables or something?

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Quavers posted:

DOORS!!! :argh:

Is that citizer right? Are they scaling their elevators so they aren't visible when they're traveling through open spaces? :classiclol:
Because if yes, then what the gently caress... hard to believe

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Talk to Transformer posted:

Joe Blobbers loves Star Citizen so much he can't keep it to himself. As much as we wish we could, we cannot keep up with his antics. He's become the community's #1 Star Citizen supporter, and has started a Star Citizen podcast of his own. He's also a really cool dude, and we are all really proud of him.

If you enjoy these videos, make sure to subscribe on YouTube, or on SoundCloud. We love doing them and you can hear the rest of the crew, including the great Chris Roberts, as well as a bunch of our awesome community, as they discuss the latest Star Citizen news, and much more!

Also, don't forget to give us a follow on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, so you don't miss any of the latest Star Citizen news!

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Pixelate posted:

I remember when all of this was 2D...

I'm sorry, is this Star Citizen 2 thread? When was the first one released? Maybe I just don't understand game development numbers

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

And not even their magical player input prediction saved them :(

no_recall posted:

ITS TIME FOR THE ANNUAL ShitizenConned 2019 Raffle!

Top 3 Prizes: a month of Humble Monthly!

SO. Lets get to it.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1tMAP0fg-AKScI3S3VjrDW3OaLO4zgBA1RSYoQOQoNSI/edit#gid=1694467207

Current Funding.
2019-11-19 $241,227,605

GUESS THE NUMBER ON THE FUNDING TRACKER BY 1st DEC.

GO.

p/s: Please quote this so I don't have an excuse accidentally exclude your participation.

e: Participation closes the minutes before the Con. Nov 23 1PM GMT. (or when the Stream Begins).

$262,424,244

e: taxxe

https://imgur.com/gallery/lVlPvCB

e2: help, i am stupid, how do you turn this into image

commando in tophat fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Nov 21, 2019

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Quavers posted:

Sorry if this has already been posted...

XPGamers, youtube channel with 400k subscribers: "Star Citizen - Why I Don't Recommend Buying It"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwDBgLFjNPM

Star Citizen - Why I Don't Remember Buying It

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
Oh my god, this demo was so boring and slow... clapping for labcoat? And who moves camera that slowly and smoothly when looking around. How is this so fake? Why wouldn't they just look around fast like a normal person. This is really like the nigerian prince emails

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
You fudsters keep complaining about the fake language panel, but I have it playing in background and the people talking are having fun with it at least :downs: , unlike the guy that was talking about planets :saddowns: . Paradoxically it is much more interesting then the 5 minutes I seen of talking to hologram jokes and taking a lab coat and looking at your breath

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
I've never actually heard Lando speak outside of super cringy halloween crap and dear god he wasn't acting there :psyduck:

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Thom12255 posted:

How did Chris ever manage to get that $50mil external investor funding with presentation skills like this

Same as Elon Musk? :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
crawling through vent :classiclol: