Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
The release of this week’s roadmaps has quickly become one of my favorite things about Fridays. I hope they will still continue with that despite the revolutionary “staggered” development.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Their new version of the roadmap is not at all as fun as the old one. Where are my percents

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
What stuck out to me was what one citizen quoted in that thread

quote:

Todd says that what people need to understand is that in normal game development a company would just "run" until they reach Alpha, at which point they'd look at what they've done and realise that they've made a huge mess that the need to clean up before Beta, which is when they have to polish and tune the game, and have an aspect of iteration. In their case, having a Live product since very early on in its development creates challenges that sometimes they're used to and sometimes they're not, so it's a learning process for all of them regardless of how long individual people have been making games for, because Star Citizen is "a very unique beast".

Like, what the hell does that even mean? Especially the mess part...

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

DigitalPenny posted:

No profits, just a purchased a 4.7 million dollar mansion....

What is profit? :iiam:

Isn’t the house owned by a foundation also, to add to the intricate financial arrangement?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Paradox developers taking shots at CIG https://clips.twitch.tv/ElatedPunchyMochaCclamChamp

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Quavers posted:

Roadmap Roundup September 20th 2019

Notable Changes for September 20th, 2019

The Vanguard Harbinger and Vanguard Sentinel have gone into polishing in preparation for their launch in Star Citizen Alpha 3.7.

Arena Commander: Pirate Swarm Improvements
We’ve added this card to the 3.7 column, which introduces an overhaul of the Pirate Swarm waves and difficulty curve to offer a true challenge to novice and experienced pilots alike.

Star Marine: The Good Doctor
We’ve added this card to the 3.7 column, which introduces a new Star Marine map. The Good Doctor has been designed and created from the ground up to offer a new and clean look for Star Marine. The map aims to offer fast, frantic and close quarter combat.

Glowsticks
We’ve added this card to the 3.7 column, which introduces the ability for a player to purchase, stow and throw a glowstick. With a wider light than the torch, the glowstick illuminates its immediate surroundings and can be thrown and placed in the environment to aid in player exploration through dark areas.

:lol: They've named a Star Marine map after Derek Smart :v:

Nothing spells space game like glow sticks.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

I managed to catch the final part of his stream and it ended spectacularly. He took the elevator down in his ship and clipped through the ground, dying https://clips.twitch.tv/SillySmilingRhinocerosWOOP

Then he encountered some spooky immobile npcs before logging off https://clips.twitch.tv/FurtivePuzzledAsteriskBCWarrior

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Aaaaaaany day now the production will drastically speed up, promise

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Game saved, you can now wave your jacket giving you countless of hours of gameplay

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Jared throwing the shade on rexzilla

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Agony Aunt posted:

Huh? When?

https://clips.twitch.tv/EasyTrustworthyHyenaDatBoi

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I’m not sure if I am missing something but the star citizen Reddit seems so uninterested in the event. The citizencon thread has like 150 replies.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

TheAgent posted:

its been completely boring and nothing new besides the 20v20 has been announced

But that describes the entire star citizen saga the last years and that hasn’t stopped them from posting about all the minutiae

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Dwesa posted:

Also, BF4 came out in 2013...
This is so telling for all the citizens and their ideas of how modern games look and play. As the reddit poster even admits in the thread

quote:

Sorry, hahaha, I dont play many other games so I pulled from what I knew in the moment.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I feel it, 2020 is the year production will really ramp up

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
No real thread on the suit, as far as I can see, on the SC Reddit. Seems strange to me, especially in light of these last twists.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Looking forward to the roadmap later today. I am prepared to be dazzled by the progress.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Noooooo, not the Door System Improvements

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
:reddit: :
Maybe sq42 was too busy to be able to update roadmap? Hope so!

One can always dream.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I know this might sound sad but star citizen’s roadmap updates are one of the week’s highlights for me. I just love reading people’s reactions to the on-going saga of disappointment.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Did anything ever happen with those land claims they sold some time ago?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
:reddit:: It is true that there is a long way to go, and the game has been worked on since 2013 putting it at the start of its 8th year of progress, so it is important to be aware of the reality of how long a project this is. But I want to throw in my two cents as I think sometimes its easy to accidentally discredit the work that is already there.

Since SC is in open development we can see and experience each new thing as it is implemented. Each quarter people have the time to explore and internalize everything added in that patch. Since the game has been in production for so long, veteran players will have gotten used to most of the content by now. As a result only the new stuff that comes with a new patch will feel fresh.

The human brain is amazingly adept at streamlining memory. You don't remember every step on your route from your front door to the local market, your brain truncates it to things like "turn left at the corner with the big tree". This sort of thing is also why drawing is hard - you see shapes, your brain thinks "eye" or "cat" and then you draw from the quintessential compressed memory of eye or cat, despite that not matching whats actually in front of you. This is also true when it comes to remembering other things.

Because you are so used to the game's content and especially if there's content you have not re-experienced recently, it may be treated to this same truncation. If for example, you mostly do cargo trading, you may be inclined to generalize each type of ship combat mission under "combat" and think of it as just shooting ships unless you really open up that section of memory. Same is true if you do ship combat - you'll know all the details of different combat missions, but only think of cargo as a nebulous basic cargo run despite there being a lot more to it.

Fact is this is a really efficient thing the brain does and its really handy for being able to think at a reasonable speed, and well, function. But your brain won't tell you its doing that. Again with the drawing, thats another reason why drawing is hard - your brain doesn't say "I'm working from a compressed memory now" it just does and you catch yourself afterwords (or just as often not).

If you watch a new player getting into the game, they feel they have no end of things to explore and discover. There may actually be more content already in the game than you think.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Sample_text posted:

A story told in 4 jpegs.

Someone in the thread complained that missiles at least worked back then and got this reply

quote:

... I find it kinda silly to get all worked up about things not working in a super early alpha,like did you expect a full game? You're paying into what is essentially a continuation of the kick starter that made the creation of this game possible.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Is it just me or have CIG slowed down even more lately? Like I know it’s harder to WFH but the “progress” they achieved these last months is impressively underwhelming.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Someone on reddit is so close to getting it while discussing that the bartender is mixing the drink in front of you

quote:

Interesting here. If you look at the recent Cyberpunk 2077 footage, you'll notice the bartender mixes the drink behind the bar, probably because it's not an actual animation.

That's probably the standard for big-budget games this year and it's interesting to see that that is generally the go-to.

It's not a big deal, and it doesn't make any game better or worse, but it *does* speak to the priorities that either studio sets.

That being said, I could go without seeing my drink being made, but it's cool.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Crobert has answered a backer https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/atmospheric-room-system-4-years-later/3368356

quote:

I wouldn't normally do this but I know you've invested a lot of time into Star Citizen, including on the testing and community content creation so I'm going to take your reply to as a sign of frustration and try to add a little more context to help you see a bigger picture.

What were you hoping to get from your Original Post? I was assuming it was -
“I was wondering where we are almost 4 years later, tested a few things and made a video.”

I shared information on where we are, and why you don't see something you thought you should. Part of my motivation for answering is that I commonly see people assume things that aren't true like the room system not being in the game because one aspect of the system doesn't have the behavior that they think it should. I wanted to give you extra context and information so you (and others in this thread) had a better understanding of what is in, what isn't and why it isn't and what is left to do.

If you want to encourage me or other developers to answer questions then it helps to not turn around and question people's professionalism or make sweeping statements. If someone did that to you in your job I am sure it would be irritating. I have a thicker skin than most of the developers at CIG, and realize that not everyone is speaking in their first language or realizes how they phrased things may not have been the best, but in general it is best to approach things with constructive criticism, leaving the ad hominems out. You wouldn't be putting this much time into something if you didn't care, so why put energy into posting something that a developer will dismiss because it feels like an attack? I can tell you that being considerate of someone and treating them with respect will get you much further than than being dismissive. The development team reads these forums and other places like reddit, and the community's feedback really helps, but the feedback that gets actioned on, that gets passed around internally and is discussed is the constructive type, not the overly negative type. Just saying something sucks isn't helpful. Explaining why it sucks for that user, and their ideas to potentially rectify it is helpful.

My biggest disappointment with modern internet discourse is that there's a significant amount of cynicism, especially in forum or reddit debates, and a portion of people assume the worst. If a feature is missing, late or buggy it's because the company or the developer lied and or / is incompetent as opposed to the fact that it just took longer and had more problems than the team thought it would when they originally set out to build it. Developers by their very nature are optimistic. You have to be to build things that haven't ever been built before. Otherwise the sheer weight of what is needed to be done can crush you. But being optimistic or not foreseeing issues isn't the same as lying or deliberately misleading people. Everyone at CIG is incredibly passionate about making Star Citizen the most immersive massively multiplayer first person universe sandbox, and everyone works very hard to deliver that. If we could deliver harder, faster, better we would. We get just as frustrated with the time things take. We practice bottom up task estimation where the team implementing the feature breaks it down and gives their estimates of how long it will take them. Management doesn't dictate timelines, we just set priorities for the teams as there are always a lot more things to do at any one time than we have people to do them. We are constantly reviewing and trying to improve our AGILE development process and how we estimate sprints. As the code, feature and content base grows there is more maintenance and support needed for the existing features and content, which can eat into the time a team has for new feature development, meaning you always have the push and pull of current quality of life in a release versus delivering new features and content. The same push and pull exists in the community as there is a strong desire for polished bug free gameplay now but also new features and content, often from the very same people.

Things like Salvage haven't been pushed back on a whim, but because in terms of priority we felt that it would premature to work on Salvage before the iCache and physical damage system is implemented in the game as this fundamentally changes how we manage state, handle damage and debris. So when presented with a priority call to make on resource allocation we deprioritized Salvage in order to build the infrastructure to really make it sing, as opposed to working on a system we will have to refactor when the iCache and new damage system came on line.

We have also decided we wanted to invest more time into the quality of life, performance and stability in Star Citizen as it is actively played every day by tens of thousands of people; on normal days we have an average of over 30,000 different people playing and at the peak during events this year we've hit 100,000 unique accounts playing in one day which is pretty impressive for a game in an early Alpha state. We are on track to have over one million unique players this year. Star Citizen already has the main gameloops of a space sim; cargo hauling, commodity trading, mercenary, pirate, bounty hunting and mining. Just spending time refining and finishing out these would make Star Citizen with all it's detail and fidelity more engrossing than any "finished" space sim you can play today.

We've shown a preview of the new roadmap format ( https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/17727-Star-Citizen-Squadron-42-Roadmap-Update ) that we are working on. Part of the motivation for changing how we share the tasks we are working on and their progress is so the community can get better visibility into the hard choices that we face everyday on the project and see what exactly every team is working on as opposed to just the few tasks we feel comfortable sharing because we think have a high probability to make that quarter. When we make a priority call and move up or add a task there is always something that needs to be pushed back. The new format which tracks our 58 feature and content teams that work on Star Citizen and Squadron 42, will be able to show what each team is working on and if a new initiative like improving the cargo hauling experience gets added you'll see the tasks that get pushed back on the teams that will work on this new initiative. As a point of data these teams can be anywhere from 4 people to over 20 people and of the 58 teams only 11 are exclusively dedicated to Squadron 42 and 12 for Star Citizen and the rest are shared (things like graphics, engine, actor, vehicle, AI, VFX, sound and so on), although a lot of the priorities for things like actor, vehicle and AI are driven by what Squadron needs.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Henry Scorpio posted:

I have really fond memories of this game, but I think it was because my parents had forbidden me from playing it and it was one of the first SVGA games I played. And the fact that weapon misses affected the environment was pretty novel at the time. Hilarious that this guy put his name on the game like he’s Sid Meier.

I remember actually liking it as well. Mostly for the gruesome ways you could kill people.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
The citizens’ idealization of specific individuals in the project freaks me out. How can it be a good thing that the fate of a project involving 500 (600?) employees entirely depends on like two or three dudes (with no real modern day experience of creating games)?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Gravity_Storm posted:

This made me laugh over on Spectrum... it's Star Citizen in a nutshell. Behold the Xeno Threat event.

Clipping through something - CHECK
Unintended consequences of poor design - CHECK
Amazing potential for griefing - CHECK

"During a Xenothreat even, I went to Jericho Station to see a Javelin. I had a crimestat, so everyone started to shoot at me. I ejected and EVA to have a closer look at this majestic capital ship. While walking on its hull, accidentialy I have slightly glitched through a floor and joined a ship, which has enabled a station defenses, which started to shoot Javelin, heavily damaged it and it has canceled entire event on the server. I'm really, really sorry for ruining this event for 40 people, it was really not my intention."

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/criminal-walking-on-javelin-can-cancel-entire-even

All I see is amazing emergent gameplay. Crobblers has done it again!

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
I saw a post over on Reddit/games about Wing Commander III and it’s truly the more things change the more they stay the same:

https://www.filfre.net/2021/03/wing-commander-iii/ posted:

Amidst all the hype, peculiarly little attention was paid to the other part of Wing Commander III, the ostensible heart of the experience: the actual missions you flew behind the controls of an outer-space fighter plane. This applied perhaps as much inside Origin as it did anywhere else. Chris Roberts was a talented game designer and programmer — he had, after all, been responsible for the original Wing Commander engine which had so wowed gamers back in 1990 — but his attention was now given over almost entirely to script consultations, film shoots, and virtual set design. Tellingly, Origin devoted far more resources to the technology needed to make the full-motion video go than they did to that behind the space simulator.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Dwesa posted:

SC has new trailer

What is Star Citizen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-Rz5PTMuaw

Universe at the scale of one half-finished system at 1:16 scale. Unprecedented in how small this "universe" is, I guess.

Love the blend of actual game videos, i.e. carrying boxes, and made-up trailers showing stuff that actually looks like fun but that you can't do.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

serious norman posted:

Is the game out yet?

You already know the answer.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Whatever happened to their weekly roadmap updates? Feels like I haven’t seen one in a while.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Colostomy Bag posted:

For some reason I'm reminded of Morrowind or Kotor.

That was my first thought as well. Old school Vivec.

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

Dwesa posted:

The past was alterable. The past never had been altered. Star Citizen was meant to have thousands of players interacting with each other in real time through server meshing. Star Citizen was always meant to have 50 player instances or shards with players not interacting with each other.

Also this awkward thing:
:reddit: Tony Z talks as fast as he does because he perceives time at half the rate we do

I saw the Tony Z talks fast meme several times in the Twitch chat during citizencon. I don’t get it, he doesn’t talk that fast at all. And everything he says is just lots of meaningless words and phrases. Shouldn’t we otherwise have seen the quanta simulation by now?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
My favorite part of a game is its

quote:

dozens of screens of useful key binds

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
This is a Twitter thread about Amazon’s issues with New World but I couldn’t help noticing some similarities to Croberts

https://twitter.com/cubesos/status/1453756798025011206?s=21

https://twitter.com/cubesos/status/1453758158602653697?s=21

https://twitter.com/cubesos/status/1453762393738199054?s=21

https://twitter.com/cubesos/status/1453763361850728459?s=21

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
https://v.redd.it/apkyv8mmwfw71/DASH_1080.mp4

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib
Oh no, they removed Dynamic Door Alignment - Vehicles. Game over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Fallen Rib

quote:

One of this patch’s greatest features is cynics being just a little quieter.

This game gets a lot of hate from a small portion of very passionate ”fans” that find every flaw and every bug and every unknown and just laser beam focus on those negative aspects while essentially denying that progress is being made. Well, with 3.15, I think it’s pretty undeniable, even to the most boring vapid complainers, that progress is indeed being made. The development is in a place where it’s clear that the software and maybe even the development itself is running smoother than ever. The improvements in general performance as well as the depth provided by the new inventory and medical systems (not without flaw, of course) have made it into much more of a playable game seemingly all at once, and I’m seeing a little more optimism come of it. Do I think it’s wrong to have criticisms and concerns? No. Do I think it’s interesting or good for the community when people are devoting their time to complaining and naysaying and just being needlessly cynical? No. It’s exhausting, and I’m seeing a bit less of it now. This patch is refreshing.