Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MassRafTer posted:

Do you have an Observer subscription because Dave's 1996(?) G1 article details the history of the promotion and how Inoki's corruption almost destroyed the promotion in the 80s.

OH! You meant when he almost destroyed it in the aughts.

I don't think there is so here are the big points.

First he double crossed Hashimoto in a match Hashimoto absolutely needed to win. Hashimoto was arguably their biggest star, and definitely their biggest healthy star as Chono and Mutoh were both in physical decline. (Mutoh would reinvent himself and have one last great in ring year a bit later.) Hashimoto left and formed Zero One. After this you started seeing the overuse of guys who were perceived as shooters, putting stars in shoot fights and other weird calls like bringing in Chyna.
Puro in 2000 must have seemed like exciting times, what with both top rival promotions getting massive roster overhauls and starting to work with one another.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

TriffTshngo posted:

A lot of Tanahashi's "I don't respect your style of wrestling" feuds seem to be based at least partially in reality, like the one with Shibata, so I wouldn't be surprised if there was some minor amount of "heat," if you could even call it that, between Tana and Kenny but I'm sure it's nothing that serious.
Does that originate from Riki Choshu not respecting the kind of wrestling Tanahashi did in college?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

LividLiquid posted:

It was your usual transphobic bullshit about how trans women shouldn't compete with cis women because they're actually men. Worse yet, he was even talking about wrestling, where it isn't actually a competition.
that's real fuckin rich considering the santina angle

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Hellblazer187 posted:

the guy Austin did it to
Chono

Hellblazer187 posted:

(who was that FMW guy with the mask he was cool but he just loving planted himself on a lionsault.
Hayabusa

Hellblazer187 posted:

What wrestling moves have proven to be the most dangerous in terms of injuries?

Almost any move can go very badly in pro wrestling, it's a dangerous show, but those seem like the worst offenders to me. Am I missing any?
backdrop suplex/driver, look at what happened to misawa

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

We couldn't enjoy that match as much as we would've liked because we were at my friend's house for the PPV and his wife's special needs little brother was there and he was inconsolable as a huge John Cena fan.
Poor Banjo :smith:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Worst Shooting Star Press botch?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Man, some of these SSP botches could get real hideous

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rh7wgcL9FhA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hru72uVmUn4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCYrDCGO150

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

jesus WEP posted:

E: needlessly tasteless
I can guess what was in here, but I'm a little surprised the associated phrase barely shows up on twitter

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Is the Japanese dojo system within, say, the last 10 years as rough or rougher than the PC? If so, is it your opinion that the ends justify the means?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Blaise330 posted:

WWE talking about WCW is the most "history is written by history's winners" ever. I heard one Bruce Prichard podcast where he was justifying why he booked DDP to be the stalker of Undertaker's wife instead of doing his old gimmick. He says DDP was never over cause if he was over WCW wouldn't have went out of business. Making him a stalker was a last ditch effort to make him remotely useful to them. Final conclusion: DDP just had no value to a wrestling promotion and WWE did everything that coulda done to make him work.
This post made me want to raise a tangential point: which fed had the greatest disparity between good booking and low-quality talent where you'd consider the promotion either generally successful (audience reactions, financials, etc.) or personally successful in your eyes?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Can anyone list out Jericho's Fozzy hiatuses?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Julio Cruz posted:

one of the greatest Jericho in WCW moments which no-one ever seems to remember is the time they had a cruiserweight battle royal and he did the ring announcing

just him ripping into all the luchadors one by one was hilarious
:thunk:

that and what subsequently happened afterward was the essence of what made wcw jericho so great

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

here comes the spunk posted:

edit: oops, didn't read question right

it's Taue/Kawada vs. Kobashi/Misawa - any match between them really

personal pick is the 1/24/95 match

https://youtu.be/38xWXVuJQwE
in that vein, kobashi/kikuchi vs can-am express might have the best crowd ever, hell of a match too

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

TriffTshngo posted:

WCW/ECW Invasion
Undisputed Champion Chris Jericho
Booker T winning the World Title at Wrestlemania and the complete lack of willingness to go with he or RVD when the two were the hottest acts to stick around after the Invasion
Goldberg
Devil's Advocate Sean O'Haire (debatable, but everyone thought it was a super cool gimmick for a long time after)
Underdog champions Eddie & Benoit having complete nothing feuds post WM20
Randy Orton vs Evolution
Guys like Jericho and Christian in locked endless midcard purgatory
Making the tag team divisions on each show complete afterthoughts when the TLC Crew and the Smackdown Six were some of the most lauded periods in tag team wrestling history
Refusing to pull the trigger on turning Cena heel early on and potentially having another star as beloved and versatile as The Rock because they didn't want to miss out on 6 months of t-shirt sales
The Divas era (+ the butterfly belt)
Rey's abysmal first World Title reign
Massive devaluing of midcard championships, and even world championships at points
Not letting Heyman do what he wanted with WWECW and just making it a lovely C-show
Treating indie stars of the era like they weren't worth the time of day
Oversaturation of and overreliance on Cena, Orton, and Batista
Cena's success in spite of massive negative reaction leading almost directly to the prevailing mindset over the next decade of "gently caress you, you don't know what you want, I'll tell you what you want," which you could argue Vince always had, but got way more stubborn about as time marched on
Transitioning Michael Cole to lead announcer, a decision that continues to haunt us to this very day
Calendar-locked gimmick PPVs
Giving Money in the Bank to Jack Swagger for some reason
The Nexus
Miz as champion (happened too early, should've been ultimate coward heel champ, feuded with Lawler for some goddamn reason, got concussed & had a bad mania match, etc)
Summer of Punk
The Coward And Blatant Heel John Cena Coercing A Wounded Rey Mysterio Into Defending His Newly Won Championship Against A Fresh Opponent Less Than 2 Hours After Winning It. We Will Never Forget This Injustice, John.
Hall of Pain
18 Seconds
Putting a lot of time and energy into Alberto Del Rio and Sheamus as top champions
Spitefully killing the self-made grassroots campaign of newly found midcard sensation Zack Ryder because he wasn't supposed to get over and gently caress you for actually grabbing the brass ring we're always telling you to grab
Punk's title reign almost always playing second fiddle to Cena + inadvisably turning heel halfway through it
Tout (lmfao)
Guys like Cody Rhodes and Cesaro locked in endless midcard purgatory
Dolph Ziggler (who may have been always bad but he was red loving hot in 2012-2013)
Cena vs Orton for the 846th time
Cena vs Orton for the 847th time
The exhausting, frustrating 8 month ordeal of Daniel Bryan's Summerslam-to-Mania
The follow-up feud with...... Kane.
The Wyatt Family
Ambrose vs Rollins feud interrupted by hologram
Triple H and The Authority opening every goddamn episode of Raw like it was 2003 and he finally found a new (worse) Evolution, except this time his wife was there too
Lesnar beginning his trend of holding a championship hostage for months at a time, while nothing is done to elevate the midcard belts to potentially take its place whatsoever
The Roman Experiment begins in earnest, everyone saw it coming 8 months prior and nobody wanted anything to do with it
Bryan is sacrificed at the alter of Roman, which the fans are having exactly none of
Seth's title reign kills my personal interest in watching WWE for good (it is also emblematic of WWE's current absolute nonsensical storytelling; The Authority put him in place as their chosen face of WWE, but continuously create obstacles for him while offering no help. Like what do you want from this guy, Steph, it feels like you're secretly training your coward heel champion to become a valiant babyface???)
The first victims of the NXT Callup are felt: Bo Dallas, Adam Rose, the Ascension, and Tyler Breeze all completely fail to do anything on the main roster but flounder and make people depressed and dread when the next round of callups would happen.
The Quest To Coronate Roman Continues At Wrestlemania 32
Women's wrestling in WWE is taken more seriously; unfortunately this means they now get all the bad, short-sighted booking and flat scripted promos of the men's roster, all while WWE loudly and repeatedly pats themselves on the back for how progressive they are. But hey, no more butterfly belt!
Guys like Rusev and Cesaro locked in endless midcard purgatory
The second brand split completely overshadows the Shield Triple Threat, and Dean's run as champion is mostly an afterthought
The Universal Championship is introduced as WWE's first ever permanently cursed title
Cruiserweight Classic is a huge success, and leads to the reintroduction of a Cruiserweight Division on WWE TV. They are segregated from the rest of the roster and treated like a batch of contagious weirdos, and their matches get no time and are never treated with any amount of weight or respect
Vince, HHH, and Dunn try as hard as they can to kill the best thing going in WWE at the tail end of 2016 and beginning of 2017, the Kevin Owens/Chris Jericho storyline. This leads to a disappointing US title match 3rd on the card instead of the Universal Championship match they should have had
Braun Strowman is sacrificed at the altar of Roman
The Quest To Coronate Roman Continues At Wrestlemania 33
Bray Wyatt and Randy Orton have a terrible championship feud, which directly leads to...........
Jinder. Jinder.
Creative frustrations after the Festival of Friendship debacle lead Jericho to strike a deal with New Japan Pro Wrestling and eventually parting ways for good with WWE, which contributes to the steady rise of NJPW's western following and eventually the birth of AEW
Japanese stars Shinsuke Nakamura and Asuka win the 2018 Royal Rumbles to great reception by fans only to both fail in their title matches and be made to look like complete buffoons in the months afterward.
NXT callups continue to disappoint
Guys like Sami Zayn and Cesaro locked in endless midcard purgatory
Brock holds Shinsuke's pants Universal title hostage for a year and a half, killing every challenger with a single F5 so Roman can kick out of 5 of them
Braun Strowman once again sacrificed at the altar of Roman
Daniel Bryan makes seemingly impossible comeback to wrestling after being forced to retire 2 years prior, spends most of 2018 being completely wasted in heatless feuds with Big Cass and Miz
The Quest To Coronate Roman Continues At Wrestlemania 34
WWE enters a 10 year deal to serve as a propaganda tool for Saudi Arabia, in exchange for money they allegedly haven't actually been paid yet
Guys like Finn Balor and Cesaro locked in endless midcard purgatory
Shane McMahon is just all over the goddamn show it's a drat disgrace
Braun Strowman once again sacrificed at the altar of Roman
Seth, Dean, Ziggler, and a returning Drew McIntyre also used as tools for the sole purpose of getting Roman over
Joe "Roman Reigns" Anoa'i announces his Leukemia has returned, vacates Universal title, forced to leave for 4 months, possibly exposing a teensy flaw in Vince's grand vision in the process
Dean Ambrose made to turn heel at the expense of Roman's leukemia announcement and have poorly booked feud with Seth that neither particularly want, while behind the scenes fighting Vince tooth and nail to prevent the complete assassination of his character while being told "it's such good poo poo! This is YOU!" This leads directly to Jon Moxley's resurgence and career renaissance upon leaving WWE
Many rate 2019 as one of the worst years creatively in WWE's history. Kofi Kingston's WWE championship win is widely praised but the ensuing title reign proves lackluster and it ends extremely poorly. The rest of the company is plauged by a series of poorly thought out, reactionary format changes such as the WILDCARD RULE! and the now bi-annual SUPERSTAR SHAKEUP! along with an increased reliance on an ever decreasing pool of nostalgia acts and part-time champions. Also there was that weird poo poo with the 2/3 falls matches
Seth Rollins' reigns as champion is marred by an extended Baron Corbin feud, the obnoxious pushing of his relationship with Becky Lynch, and proving to be a real unlikable piece of work on twitter all year
Guys like Aleister Black and Andrade (and Cesaro) locked in endless midcard purgatory
Baron Corbin is just all over the goddamn show it's a drat disgrace
Shorty G.

And that leads us into 2020 where I'm sure you know what's happened so far.

At some point this morphed from me listing out "WWE's Biggest Missed $$$ Opportunities" and more just typing out all the stupid garbage they've done but I'd like to think most of that stuff at least partially contributed to the spot they've been in recently where the only things keeping them going at the level they are are these outrageous TV deals and Saudi blood money that they probably don't actually have yet
someone sell this as a t-shirt

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

I Before E posted:

Allegedly Matt's wife stiffed Ibushi on Golden Elite shirt royalties and that caused bad vibes between him and the Elite guys, I don't think it's been particularly substantiated though.
Isn't it implied from his social media postings that Ibushi comes from wealth anyway?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

oh but seriously I posted:

Terri Runnels was briefly involved. They did the Terri Invitational Tournament. IT'S A TIT JOKE. YOU GET IT?! YOU GETTING IT? IT IS A JOKE ABOUT TITS.

jesus
terri pulled some incredible faces during that groundbreaking tag team ladder match

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
If you ever were to ask Triple H if he would ever trade lives with Mick Foley, absolutely hell no never in a million billion trillion loving years

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
As long as IWC smarkdom exists and the echoes of "E-C-DUB" induce in them a warm nostalgia, there will be marks for New Jack

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

karmicknight posted:

A classic example is Kurt Angle not quite getting that being the Real American Hero when he debuted would get him over as a heel and was dubious on listening to McMahon and not playing a more traditional heel before the audience reaction made him a Vince convert.
What's the first iteration of this "holier than thou hypocrite" character? I know Britt Baker was recently on Talk is Jericho and explicitly mentioned using Jericho's early 1998 heel run as a guidepost for her current heel turn, but what characters preceded his?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Randaconda posted:

Kane should have won at WM14, or am I just dumb
kane has been an objectively worse wrestler than the undertaker, so i disagree

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I'll give you 97 but 98 is the foley show all the way and what he's mostly doing is car crash bumps anyway

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
What if it was John Cena?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

fatherofmustard posted:

What if Stephanie McMahon never married HHH and hooked up with some other wrestler, like the Rock?
maybe chyna would be alive :\

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Dell_Zincht posted:

Roderick McMahon (Vince's real life brother)
What the hell could that guy be like?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

jesus WEP posted:

They fired him for iirc a gambling addiction, which is a way more hosed up reason to fire someone
is that code for potential yakuza ties?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Has there ever been an angle where an underdog wins the title but is struggling to lug it around because of its heft?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Super No Vacancy posted:

they just posted an interview with tanahashi on the njpw eng site in which he says there's not really any difference
there was probably a more meaningful difference when kawada and sasaki faced off at the dome, but i guess we're just 20 years removed from that :shrug:

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Seth Rollins posted:

kane had psychological hair
ty for the hearty, involuntary laugh

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Answers Me posted:

OK, as you’re desperate for a change of subject, indulge me with a question I’m sure has been asked over and over.

On a total whim I signed up to NJPW World to watch Wrestle Kingdom live, without having seen a single minute of NJPW before, and I’m hooked. What are the matches I should absolutely make sure I watch while I’ve still got the subscription?

I’m about to watch the Omega/Okada series, which I’ve heard loads about of course, but apart from that I haven’t really got a clue.
The first year when the G1 Climax under Bushiroad NJPW became appointment viewing was 2013, esp. Night 4 (Aug 4, 2013).

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

MassRafTer posted:

The Four Pillars of Heaven are probably the best example as they never worked for Vince but there was at least the remote possibility they could during the All Japan/WWF negotiations in 97/98.
I would assume the Super Summit show would disqualify them (unless I overlooked certain details)

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

fatherofmustard posted:

Since Roman pinned Bryan and Edge at the same time at WM, I'm wondering if someone has ever pinned 3 or more people at once?
Not quite what you were asking, but Big Poppa Pump once ended a match on a triple Steiner Recliner

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Big Dave posted:

Steen wolf, threemendous 3, asw 9 (Drake younger warning)
threemendous 3 comes with a warning for younger, joey ryan, tjp, elgin, callihan, brian cage parodying booker t’s biggest flub, but those two title matches are stupendous

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'm just trying to imagine PSP as we know it reacting to Mick's bumps
think of the reaction to matt hardy's injury at all out last year but an order of magnitude more

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Seams posted:

was there a TNA live thread when Steiner cut his maths promo?
you bet and subsequent TNA discussion thread, go back a page for bonus TERRORDOME

e:

Saints Crow posted:

Aww, it's sad that that horrible one is fake, because now I feel like a fool for trying to outdo it with this.

Coaaab fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 1, 2021

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Destroy My Sweater posted:

Does the person who posted about crawling and living inside a certain wrestler's rear end still post here?
guess you could check

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I'd never heard of Magee before so I googled him. Yikes at the story of the beating he took over the parking space.
I thought this would about some hazing by the boys, but no, just straight up aggravated battery on a 60yo man by several 20-somethings

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

TheKingslayer posted:

I think this is a pretty good look at it
big don valentine vibes

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
I would imagine the non-kayfabe reason is that in the wake of the Monday Night Wars, WWE monopolized big money pro wrestling in America with no serious rival on the horizon so to try to drum up fan attachment, Raw and Smackdown would be set up as rival entities with differences in the roster/booking/presentation to try to recreate the excitement of that war, even though it was all under the WWE umbrella.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, a Top 5 is too few spots when you're trying to compare things like all-time greatest match vs. being consistently great over a long time. Not to mention judging wrestlers by the standards of their time.
You also gotta keep track of what's been preserved on tape or any blindspots. Like for example those gifs of French catch posted monthly or so to twitter that bring up questions of how that stuff was lost to the dustbin of history or who carried on that tradition into the future and so on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
now i wanna see a lucha smark list