Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAU3kOv8UV4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

And tagged with Kota Ibushi! once For what is now the Super Jr. Tag League, back when it was a single-elimination tourney and not a round robin.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Drew McIntyre posted:

who has the best rear end in wrestling? would you guys be interested in having a Best Wrestling rear end voting tournament? please nominate people for the upcoming tournament.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

God, Suzuki losing that hair match and his badass reaction was one of the coolest loving things I've ever seen.

Taichi and Kanemaru trying to sneak a dazed Suzuki off, Suzuki waking up and realizing "wait, I lost... gently caress YOU, I'M PAYING MY DEBT" and going back to the ring against the protests of his goons seemed like the most impossibly badass way to lose ever

and then he picked up the chair

and then swatted the chair already in the ring with the chair he grabbed

and then he put his chair down and shaved his own head

:allears:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I still prefer the Shibata murder:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

That Wrestle Kingdom also had this great image:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Randaconda posted:

Jake had that creepy promo about Elizabeth.

"In time, I can mold her into something even I can love." or something like that

“I could cultivate her into something I could want!” is the capstone to that promo, and it’s somehow the least creepiest thing in the entire promo. The most is him, heavily breathing, begging Macho to bring her with him the next time they cross paths. It just builds and builds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXuo6In8d_w

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

Jericho's run as Undisputed champion was really bad but the lone bright spot was the leadup to his title defense vs Rock at Royal Rumble '02. Jericho losing his loving mind screaming his lungs out and demanding he not be dismissed, disrespected, or treated as a joke, only for the Rock to calmly stroll up the ramp, walk a little circle around Jericho, and confirm that he is, in fact, taking Jericho very seriously, and none of his usual Rock-isms about whooping candy asses and whatnot are in any way meant to be funny.

The few times Rock got quiet and serious were really effective. Jericho's run as a tantrum-throwing inept fluke champion less effective, but that particular promo was really good.

This was such a great moment. He cuts The Rock off, telling him he won’t look past him, and The Rock stands there for a moment, like “this son of a bitch interrupted me.” And instead of blowing him off, he slowly gets out of the ring, and cuts the promo you describe going up the ramp, walks around him, and then just stops right face to face to say “if you smell... what the Rock... is cooking.” with all seriousness, which is such an inversion of the catchphrase.

And then he put him over.

And then we got “Jericho babysits Stephanie’s dog” to build to a Mania main event. :(

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The Scorpion Deathlock usually is done with a wide stance, with one arm around the ankle of the straight leg to hold it and the free hand clutching the foot of the crossed leg (making a grapevine not much unlike the figure four) or just letting that foot hang loose. Bret generally crossed the legs more towards the ankle and on smaller guys hooked his arm around both (with larger guys/longer legs he would apply more like a traditional SD), and would put his hand on a guy's kneepad or tuck it under the legs. The deathlock also is more of a squat where the guy will lean forward, whereas Bret, you'll notice, tended to actually sit back on it (which, by all accounts, really made the move suck to be in).

Probably the closest I can think of to Bret actually applying the Sharpshooter like the Scorpion Deathlock would be Wrestlemania 9, honestly, and that's because he knew it would be loving impossible to actually do it the way he normally did on Yoko (and also so he would be in the best position for the salt in the eyes spot).

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

I always assumed JBL’s lariat looked good because he hit dudes as hard as he could

Yeah, he very much followed the Hansen rule of “just steamroll them with your bicep and let god sort it out”, although that Heathgif (:dadjoke:) shows him working it real soft

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I seem to recall that the actual reality of the Summerslam 99 finish being what it was came down to Jesse Ventura being in office at the time and not wanting to have his face next to the company’s big bad guy, raising his hand, after weeks of putting them on clear opposite sides in the build. He felt it wouldn’t be good for his image as governor. Austin had no problems dropping the title to just about anyone if they were built up as a legit challenger, especially then, since he was on the way to neck surgery in a couple of months anyway. The Foley win was Vince compromising with Jesse, not with Austin.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

shiksa posted:

brock chose to go to the furthest corner to try it, he absolutely would have landed it if he weren't trying to do a ssp from 3/4s a ring away.

in conclusion, wrestlers are dumb

Pretty sure Brock was told to go to it because it was the hard camera facing "hero" one, which would let Dunn line up the camera that would catch it straight on much more easily (one of the most consistent things of WWE's shooting style for decades is that the entire drat thing is centered around and built off of that particular turnbuckle). The cut from hard cam to the one that catches him drat near break his neck is very prepared, he probably even did a dry run of it earlier that day before they let people into Safeco for Vince and Dunn in order to get the timing on the cut down. It's just that they made a bunch of mistakes, starting with Kurt being so far away instead of Brock maybe dragging him a little closer - but that could probably be due to Brock being very nervous all match about loving Kurt's neck up since Kurt probably shouldn't have even been working with it. And then he got to the top rope, looked at the distance, and probably figured "I can still make it". Plus, the rope was apparently a little slippery, so a combination of nerves, less than great grip on the rope, being locked into that turnbuckle because Dunn can't actually improvise new camera positions on the spot, and a little bit of assuming you're such a genetic freak that you can easily compensate for a guy being like thirteen feet away instead of ten leads to Brock almost killing himself.

Wouldn't surprise me if someone asked him if he'd still go to that corner if he didn't have to worry about the hard cam he'd probably say "hell no! I would have just gone to the other corner."

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

It was most definitely the latter, and also another way that Vince could pretend he was legitimately like his old money neighbors because he has a very big mental block over being accepted by them that he will never get rid of because he will never, ever will be.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Spikegal posted:

The closest has to be at Wrestlemania 30 after Vince hosed off and Cole called the main without someone in his ear. His miracle on bourbon street line was pretty good.

Cole screaming “C’MON DANIEL! C’MON DANIEL! TAP OUT BATISTA! TAP OUT BATISTA!” and abandoning all impartiality as a play by play guy is probably his best moment since just going “WHAT?!” in response to the glass shattering in the Mankind/Rock title match. He’s a dude you can clearly tell the difference between him actually being caught up in a moment or being told to be caught up in it.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Pretty much from the start of Bryan’s run with the company, he was making GBS threads on him during NXT.

Let’s relive those two moments, though! If only for the Jesus pops in each one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KybuIy0wKXk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfFrDS2cCKA

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Tennessee would probably accept this as a reasonable way to determine mayor.

But I heard guarantees were void in Tennessee

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Diar posted:

How does Marty make that snapping noise when does the finger break spot. I read somewhere where the person was like "it's so obvious how he does it" and didnt elaborate at all.

He slaps his arms against his sides real fast when he makes the finger break movement and the noise that comes out sounds like a snap

An upper body version of the thigh slap, basically

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Stallone put him over huge in Rocky III, as well - like, yeah, Stallone is short, but they make him look legitimately half of Hulk's size and he's in one of, if not the, most memorable moments of the whole thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pHqawQp2nsM

Remember that this was the fourth highest grossing movie of 1982. A gigantic hit. And the commodification of all media was still a long ways away; movies held an insane amount of esteem in the public consciousness in terms of what a star was. They played for months on end, sometimes so long and run so many times new prints would be struck before the actual theatrical window closed. So imagine being a kid seeing Rocky III like six times over a summer and watching this big pro wrestler tossing Balboa around like he's a sack of wet clothes and being told "hey you can go see that guy at the arena!" The same thing is what helped make The A-Team a hit show - you could watch Clubber Lang be a reformed good guy on TV like six months after the movie had opened!

And Vince, beginning his merciless gutting of the territories to make the WWF a national promotion, snatched him from the AWA within a year of the movie's release and took full advantage of Reagan-era nationalism by making him the emblem of American exceptionalism, setting the course for the rest of the decade.

And yeah, him being able to build a monster before vanquishing them was a skill Hulk was incredibly good at; when he did sell, Hulk made it look like he was trembling on the loose dirt at the edge of his grave. It was never realistic, but it was effective, especially for the Saturday morning cartoon world that the WWF presented wrestling as.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ6gpgjNgCo&t=141s

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Because they don’t know how to book a face “king” despite the idea behind the tournament supposedly being “who’s the best wrestler in the company who isn’t already a champ?”

Nominally you’d want to do the heel winning occasionally in between face winners to make him come off as the most underhanded person in the company or because they’re just a monster and faces can talk about him desecrating the luster of being King of The Ring, but Vince’s booking since like 2001 has been :effort:

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Omega’s a big deal because, essentially, Wrestle Kingdom 11 happened and people reacted with “that might be the best match ever performed”, and then he and Okada topped that six months later. Meanwhile, Omega also had great matches with all the other heavyweights in New Japan and got a nice, slow, nearly two year build from winning the G1 in August 2016 to June 2018 to getting the belt off of Okada, while also being pushed as the face of American expansion.

In AEW he doesn’t have the roster to work against he had in New Japan, his story is currently “man lost behind the legend that preceded him”, and he doesn’t necessarily get the ring time that he got back in Japan, working for TV and being more tightly timed - has he had an over thirty minute match in AEW yet beyond like, the Mox match and maybe Alpha/Omega II?

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

What are the lyrics to Jay White's theme? 1961 something something else

In 1961, they start another war

It's a sample from this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMXZn6QRSJU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

I asked because there was a question in a quiz show which used Macho Man as a famous example of a heel-turned-face and I couldn't decide if he was the best example they could have used or not

whereas there are plenty of famous examples of faces-turned-heel, with Hogan probably the most iconic

Elizabeth running into the ring and throwing Sherri down after Randy lost the career match, turning him face to end his Macho King run is one of the most effective face turns WWE ever did. People in the audience were crying when Randy embraced her, a thing WWE has rarely been able to do.

One of my personal favorites was Mark Henry coming out in a gauntlet match Orton was going through, and Orton thinking just like the previous guy that Henry will let himself get counted out - only for the ref to start counting, Mark grabbing his hand, and then wagging his finger while Randy just about shits himself like “oh god, I’m going to die.”

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

Supposedly Matt's wife didn't cut Ibushi in on merch money from the Golden Elite shirt and he was pissed about it.

And when Kota complained to Kenny he took Matt and Dana’s side

Which, lol, they made a shirt specifically off of him working with them and then tried to carnie him out of his cut, how the gently caress does someone take the offending party’s side in that situation

I mean, if it’s all true, it also would be understandable that Kota wouldn’t want to be in a promotion where one of the guys who hosed you out of money has power over you as an EVP (and probably part of the booking team) and his wife is in charge of your merch.

Especially when on the other side of things Hiroshi Tanahashi has been begging you to take his spot in the company since, like, the Nakamura Dome match and the company itself is like “oh hell yes we are fine with that”.

Plus the whole “Kota hates international travel/always gets lost overseas” thing.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I want to say both Joe Lanza and Meltzer have suggested the best use of any sort of AEW partnerships would be to run an old-school super show event every so often (as in maybe a couple of years apart to maintain the specialness), and they’re honestly probably right on that account.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I think they started on “for the benefit of those with flash photography” after WM2000 and got increasingly goofier as time went on until they were kazooing other wrestler’s themes, forming Team ECK, dressing up as Los Conquistadors, etc.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

oh but seriously I posted:

They were almost completely mute then one day they did colour commentary and they burst from their chrysalis fully formed.

“Excuse us, but we have to go do what we in the business refer to as a ‘run-in’”

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

shiksa posted:

ive watched ecw from that era relatively recently and you are right it does not hold up

Dances With Dudley

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Davros1 posted:

Heh. They totally stole that from a New Age Outlaws bit.

I just like that even as heels about to ruin a match, Canadian politeness still managed to get through with Edge excusing himself from the commentary desk

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Well, only a masochist would go “yeah I want the life where I spent the first chunk of my career throwing myself backwards into concrete, the second chunk of my career throwing myself into barbed wire and nail boards and poo poo, and the third part of my career be defined by me throwing my body off of a twenty-foot tall chain link cage onto a table that, seemingly, had zero crash padding under it”

From what I’ve always gathered, Hunter and Mick get along as human beings, because Mick is naturally lovable, but Hunter was always bitter that people point to Mick as the reason their series of matches were good, and stayed bitter until he became more an office guy and realized it was loving stupid to carry that sort of grudge

I imagine he also got a little pissed that Mick got Orton over a thousand times more with one thumbtack spot than he ever did with like hours of ring time

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Lesson #1: Whatever Ric did, DO NOT DO IT

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Seams posted:

It’s on every Wednesday on TNT

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Maxwell Lord posted:

The IC title question got me thinking, what was the origin of the European title and how did it come to be prominently featured in the late 90s?

I believe the idea was “business is poo poo in America, we’re running Europe a lot more, we can juice some more tickets if we put a belt on our biggest draw in the country who isn’t already in our main event”, and of course that draw was Bulldog. So they slapped the title on him. Then business improved in the US once Vince finally bumped the price up on the In Your House PPVs, defeating the need for more than two or three Euro tours a year, Shawn politicked his way into getting the belt, “dropped” it to Hunter after the screwjob and the two biggest Euro draws were gone, and after the Owen feud and Hunter dropping it to D-Lo the belt got relegated to lower card status and turned into the equivalent of a TV title.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Cody was ROH World champ for like six months in 2017, so he’s disqualified from this

Ted DiBiase held top belts but never won a “world” singles title, only top national belts in territory promotions. The highest he ever got was winning a third of All Japan’s Triple Crown before the Triple Crown existed (the NWA United National Championship, so not even the international title or the PWF world belt, lol), unless you want to count Andre giving the WWF belt over to him after the twin Hebner cheat on SNME as an actual reign; he did defend the belt on a house show against Bam Bam a few days later, and wasn’t officially stripped until the next week’s Superstars, so... grey area, really. But I feel like nobody’s ever considered that a real title reign. WWE doesn’t list him on the website under the title holders, which I suppose would be the most official source.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Liger thought it’d be cool if all the major junior belts got unified in one eight-man tournament featuring all the champions

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

They might have even been able to just go "well on that night Edge was the better man", but then they have E&C destroy his car in the post-match and it's like "but why?"

And also having it be the opener. "Win the biggest Royal Rumble ever!... to curtain jerk." They basically flushed a rocket push down the drain in one night.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

The Hogan ‘84 belt had a nameplate, and it and the ‘83-‘84 belt had the previous holders listed on the side plates. The 85 belt also had a nameplate (and a better engraving of the logo on the top).

Hogan got like ten versions of the title belt. One had his picture on it. It was ridiculous.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Yep, prior to the Winged Eagle (and for Hogan having like ten different title belts through his reign, the one they settled on happened to debut the night they pulled the Andre/DiBiase angle on SNME; funny how that worked out), probably the most famous version of the belt was the Sammartino belt:

Which itself was quite cool, the medallions on the sides had the info: his name on the medallion on the right, who he beat for it and when on the left one. Also the height made for a nice counterweight to the fact that Bruno was built like a gorilla (and probably hit as hard), just one wide, thick son of a bitch.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

gently caress I think they could have used that as the undisputed title, that looks pretty good

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

He easily gets a lot of memorializing, WWE's not dumb enough to scoot past the death of one of their most iconic stars like that.

Not like getting a whole RAW, but he'd get a big send-off in the first quarter, and "Classic Hitman" moments from his career up to his last appearance as bumpers going in or out of commercials. More than what most guys have gotten, but not like a "he died suddenly while on our roster" level 'pause everything' show. Lots of guys doing second-rope elbows, atomic drops, side russian leg sweeps, legdrops to the groin, guys doing the hard camera "eyyyyyy" thing he did, leather jackets out the rear end, the works, but the story goes on. At least one person probably does the victory roll finish, maybe they get cute and do the Owen "sit back on my rear end" reversal with it.

Only person I imagine there'll be a full-stop memorial RAW for at this point is Vince himself, unless, of course, someone unexpectedly dies young of something the WWE can't be blamed for. But you can't really predict that sort of stuff, so assume nothing of the sort will happen until it does.

The Cameo fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Aug 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Tama is not particularly good at playing politics, the dude would probably get fired before the first year of his contract was up.

If Jeff Cobb is saying he signed anywhere, it was probably with New Japan, he's talked repeatedly about wanting to have an actual run there for years now.

Fale actually has had a WWE offer, he was in the wave of offers that ended up nabbing Nakamura, Styles, and the Good Brothers. Fale turned them down since, uh, he actually owns a business in Tokyo (Toks Coffee, which I think is somewhere tucked away in Shibuya?), he can fly back home easily from Japan, Pieter lives in Tokyo and all of her business is done there, and also he's a dojo boy who clearly still has loyalty to the people that take care of him. poo poo, Fale Dojo is now just the New Zealand Dojo for New Japan, dude is likely a lifer now more than ever. And that dojo's given us Henare, Hikuleo, Gino, Robbie Eagles, and SWITCHBLADE himself.

But Jay's probably the sole person who would actually manage to become a star in WWE. He looks like a million bucks, can talk, can do both babyface and heel better than a lot of people (there's a reason every "pundit" who has kept up with NJPW is like "oh when they turn him babyface, watch out", Blue-Eyed Young Lion Jay White was one of the more popular Young Lions the company's ever had, women loved him on like, Devitt levels), he could adjust his ring work to the extremely pared-down, simplified, slowed pace that WWE makes everyone work at - he could just keep the flatliner-german combo, the Kiwi Krusher, and the Blade Runner and he'd be set - and he'd honestly probably be telling the best stories in the company within months. Like Jay's a freakish talent, I feel like you could drop him in any company and he'd just light it all up and be a big deal, fairly quick.

He's not even the best guy in New Japan right now, but everyone else better than him is someone where you can see the pitfalls, like Okada would make a funny and that'd be the end of him, they'd look at Hiromu and go "too small, does too much", Tanahashi would be generic as hell and they'd never use his babyface fire, we know they have no loving clue what to do with Ibushi and he'd get bored really, really quickly and want out, they hosed up KENTA already to the point it's clear dude never wants to go anywhere near the company again unless he's visiting buddies, and Will would be treated just like Ricochet is ("slow down, don't do so much!" "... did any of you blokes watch me before I got signed?"). Ishii, well, he'd be a KUSHIDA hire where it's just so that he's not doing something somewhere else.

Of course, WWE might want to figure out why Hunter's most trusted talent scout sent his son to train with New Japan and not their own performance center, as well as the company's head trainer encouraging guys frustrated with their lot in the company and an out on their contract coming up to maybe try going to Japan for a bit, he'll put in a call for them...