Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

even when they explicitly try to, it ends up the same by the end, like that universal-style werewolf thing

even wandavision (which i liked) abandons its premise like 3 episodes in for more avengers lore and colored beam shooting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
it really seems like a no brainer to pick 10 promising genre directors, make any B or C list character from the DC/Marvel universe available, give them $30m to do whatever they want, and get a couple home runs that'll cover any strikeouts

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

In Training posted:

They should also let the public vote on the Oscars instead of a dumb committee.

Restrict it to people who work on movies so that decent wages and treatment come out of the pr budget. Most pr budgets cost about as much as it does to make the entire movie

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

indigi posted:

it really seems like a no brainer to pick 10 promising genre directors, make any B or C list character from the DC/Marvel universe available, give them $30m to do whatever they want, and get a couple home runs that'll cover any strikeouts

that would require them to stop the empty studio suits from meddling, which would solve their problems in the first place.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

In Training posted:

They should also let the public vote on the Oscars instead of a dumb committee.

They did this and Snyder won everything lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

indigi posted:

No, see with the use of focus testing and algorithms and AI and a bunch of other bullshit we're not gonna have to have ANY strikeouts anymore! Every movie will be for everyone, doesn't that sound great!

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I just watched the first five episodes of the Body Problem, I think this was the first show where I clickly switched to 2x playback speed and left it at that. With subtitles no problem, quite enjoyable.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I remember when people were pretending they weren't just the same movie over and over again

"Like no man, you don't get it. It's actually a really good cold war thriller with marvel characters" no, bullshit, gently caress you
it's the same slop, the same movie
the good guy fights the bad guy that has the same powers as him at the end like every other one
Wouldn't say it applies to some of the better ones (Guardians of the Galaxy, Doctor Strange, Thor Ragnarok) without willfully misinterpreting their events.

Snopes rates this "Mostly true"

Knight has issued a correction as of 22:43 on Mar 27, 2024

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Guardians of the Galaxy is fundamentally different in that it isn't an OK movie following the MCU formula; rather, it's a banger soundtrack with an ok movie following the MCU formula used as bedding to add ambiance

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Maybe the movies we make to sell children's toys shouldn't be the same movies we expect to move us as adults

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Maybe the movies we make to sell children's toys shouldn't be the same movies we expect to move us as adults

Wrong.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Nichael posted:

wait, the only thing keeping a baby from living on the streets was another unrelated baby?

someone hasnt been reading enough poor things discourse

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Are there adult action figure play groups?

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

This Saturday we will be playing with our superhero toys. DO NOT BRING TRANSFORMERS

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Yeah it's called Warhammer

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Like so many others, I first watched him speak on the night of the 2004 Democratic convention, the year John Kerry became the nominee. He was still a state senator then, his face unlined, his head full of dark-brown hair. He humbly told the audience that his presence there was “pretty unlikely.” His Kenyan father had grown up herding goats; his paternal grandfather cooked for a British soldier. In a Baptist cadence, he quoted from the Declaration of Independence. Jefferson’s words are stirring on their own, but when a certain kind of orator gets hold of them, the effect can feel like thunder, or the Spirit. The country had tumbled into a new century after a contested election and the start of a war in Iraq. Barack Obama spun a convincing vision of the nation as “one people,” in which our ethnic, religious, and ideological differences mattered little.

When I think about what Obama meant to me at the time, my eyes pool with water. I was fresh out of college, taken by the force of his intellect and the way his ideas seemed to cohere and hum. His ear for language was evident in his oratory and in his prose. Dreams From My Father, his first memoir, drew from a humanist tradition of American autobiography laid down by Frederick Douglass, Harriet Jacobs, Malcolm X, and James Baldwin. Toni Morrison’s eulogy of Baldwin in 1987 seemed to foreshadow what many would feel about Obama in 2008: “You made American English honest … You exposed its secrets and reshaped it until it was truly modern dialogic, representative, humane.”

And yet, it wasn’t enough; the reverie wouldn’t, couldn’t last. In Great Expectations, Vinson Cunningham’s debut novel, the New Yorker writer and critic assesses the hope and disillusionment of the Obama years in a thinly veiled political satire-cum-bildungsroman featuring an Obama-like junior senator as “the candidate,” as well as a multifarious cast of supporting characters who employ their savvy, money, and connections to get him elected as president. Cunningham takes the reader back to a time when many thought Obama had an answer for every American ailment: He would usher the country into a post-race era, offering white people grace and absolution while assuring Black people that they would hereafter get a fair shake.

The novel is a keen look back at the failed promise of those early years, during which the country’s lofty expectations left little room for the candidate’s human fallibility—and obscured the reality of American politics. In this country, progress has usually happened in complicated, nonlinear ways: Hard-won advances are generally followed by forceful backlash and heartbreaking setbacks. Advances in civil rights, economic equality, health-care access, or environmental policy have often triggered reactionary codas; since at least the end of Reconstruction, momentum toward multiracial democracy has inflamed particularly vitriolic responses. Ultimately, Cunningham’s novel reminds the reader that simple solutions—the passage of one just law, the election of a single great leader—are seldom a match for American problems.

The narrator—based on the author himself, who worked on Obama’s 2008 campaign and in his White House—is David Hammond, a 22-year-old single father from uptown Manhattan. Floundering after dropping out of college, he joins the campaign as a fundraising assistant on the recommendation of the well-heeled mother of a teen boy he tutors. As the novel roves from Manhattan to Manchester, New Hampshire; from Los Angeles to Chicago, David, whose true ambition is to be a writer, uses his new role to sharpen his ear and eye. He’s middling at the minutiae of the job but great at interacting with people. He makes friends with his co-workers and stumbles into a tender love affair with another staffer named Regina. Along the way, he loses slivers of his innocence as he sees what lies beneath the campaign’s shimmering exterior: the candidate’s aloofness when he is offstage, the financial improprieties of a few wealthy patrons. Eventually, the blind allegiance of the candidate’s supporters—their belief that the campaign is a “move of God”—begins to feel foreboding.

David often invokes the ecstatic mysticism of religious devotion as a metaphor for the candidate’s hold on his supporters. The senator “reminded me of my pastor,” David says early on, his regal posture bringing to mind a “talismanic maneuver meant to send forth subliminal messages about confidence and power.” One night, on the trail in New Hampshire, David tells Regina about a magic trick he’d witnessed as a teenager: While waiting outside of church with his friends, he’d watched as a magician performed a standard sleight of hand, then levitated a few inches off the city pavement. “Everybody screamed. It was mayhem,” David remembers. “Black people love magic,” Regina rejoins, through laughter. It is a detour in a novel of detours and roundabouts, and also a parable that smartly explains how the candidate’s fervent admirers could be so awed by his charisma that they missed the signs of trouble to come.

Sometimes David allows himself to get carried away like everyone else. He thinks about how the candidate and his family had begun to embody some kind of national fantasy of a Black Camelot. “Maybe there was the hope that black, that portentous designation, could finally be subsumed into the mainstream in the way that Kennedy had helped Irish to be. That some long passage of travel was almost done,” he thinks at one point. In that same stream of thought, David suggests that the public’s belief in the candidate’s ability to dismantle the racial hierarchy is largely thanks to his symbolic appeal: It was, he observes, “mostly the look” of the candidate and his glamorous family—an elegant wife and two small daughters—that made supporters believe he could overcome racism. Who wouldn’t want to accept them?

Privy to the campaign’s disappointments and its weaknesses, David is clear-eyed where others are credulous. With the benefit of hindsight, the reader knows his skepticism would eventually be validated. In the years since Obama’s election, America has seen the birtherism movement, the rise of the Tea Party, Trump’s presidency, and the dismantling of cornerstone civil-rights victories, including key portions of the Voting Rights Act. Then, of course, there were Obama’s own shortcomings during his presidency, namely his capitulation to forces opposed to his most idealistic visions. He would pass a new health-care bill, but fall short of the goal of universal coverage he campaigned on. He would withdraw troops from Afghanistan but begin a series of what the political scientist Michael J. Boyle called “shadow wars,” which were “fought by Special Forces, proxy armies, drones, and other covert means.” According to the Council on Foreign Relations, drone strikes authorized by President Obama led to the deaths of nearly 4,000 people in Pakistan, Yemen, and Somalia; more than 300 of them were civilians.

When Cunningham’s novel closes on that fateful night in November, the night of the candidate’s victory, it’s an ending for David, a graduation, even. The book implies that he will go on to work for the new president, but unlike everyone else in that ecstatic moment, he looks to the coming years soberly, acknowledging that the campaign had spoken “a language of signs,” wherein the symbolism of the moment overwhelmed all else. Already, he seems to know that the country will see no grand, lasting transformation. For many Americans, who felt on a similar, actual night, that the world seemed on the precipice of change, the lessons would take much longer to learn.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

I need to go back and start with the sprawl trilogy because I'm pretty sure William Gibson got body snatched (rich) at some point. Trying to figure out when that was.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

this made me wonder if "normal" rc airplane hobbyists still exist outside of the crazy poo poo on youtube

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

the milk machine posted:

this made me wonder if "normal" rc airplane hobbyists still exist outside of the crazy poo poo on youtube

yeah it's usually old guys who pooled their money for a little rc runway in a semi-rural area

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

brugroffil posted:

https://acoup.blog/

Some interesting history vs media stuff, like strategy and tactics in LOTR books vs movies, or how dumb GRRM's claims of the dothraki being based on historical steppe peoples are

Oh poo poo I read his Sparta stuff ages ago. Thanks for the reminder.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Bro Dad posted:

yeah it's usually old guys who pooled their money for a little rc runway in a semi-rural area

that's cool. that seems like a good old guy hobby. maybe if i get old i could get into it

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Al! posted:

even wandavision (which i liked) abandons its premise like 3 episodes in for more avengers lore and colored beam shooting

Lol got mad at this all the buddies swore up and down that this is different, it's doing something really different you gotta check it out. And like, cool couple episodes but then mfs started punching each other

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Loki and Wandavision have been my favorite marvel stuff in a while since the TV format allowed for more room and experiments but yeah, in the end they both turn into the same gray goo

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i say swears online posted:

quit watching the tencent 3bp because it was super boring. about to start episode 3 of bodies of thrones and I'm afraid I'm making the same mistake

the china flashback scenes are very funny

theres always the minecraft version

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

OKJA and AMBULANCE are 2 other recent(ish) quality gyllenhaal performances

i didnt like most of the english performances in okja because they were all acting like cartoon characters and it was really jarring since the korean half of the story was an almost entirely sincere story about a girl trying to rescue her pet pig

i do give gyllenhaal credit for at least having an excuse for being cartoonish because his character seems to be suffering a mental breakdown from having to act like a cartoon character for public relations purposes all the time

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Gumball Gumption posted:

Loki and Wandavision have been my favorite marvel stuff in a while since the TV format allowed for more room and experiments but yeah, in the end they both turn into the same gray goo

yeah the first two-three eps of wandavision were the only fun mcu stuff i've ever seen

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Bro Dad posted:

we have one of these in town and it is DIRECTLY adjacent to the landfill, and they do their stinky little air shows on the weekends when it's nice. i should get out there sometime.

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

https://x.com/anothercohen/status/1769204420997194060?s=46&t=CkxUTFewBhsxPVoqA_wgtQ

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Way late but I'm still insanely upset I didn't make it to see Ambulance in theaters. I have it on my computer but have never watched it, I keep waiting for some magic event for them to bring it back to the big screen :smith:

Skaffen-Amtiskaw
Jun 24, 2023

Cael posted:

Way late but I'm still insanely upset I didn't make it to see Ambulance in theaters. I have it on my computer but have never watched it, I keep waiting for some magic event for them to bring it back to the big screen :smith:

It’s great in the big screen, but you should deffo watch it and tell us when you get to the “Sailing” scene.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

the debate & discussion forum

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

What will be the "You want the good girl, but you need the bad pussy." equivalent in The 3 Body Problem?

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

docbeard posted:

As alien invasion stories go, I really liked Gordon Dickson's "Way of the Pilgrim" when I was younger, though I have no idea how/if it holds up. A guy working for the aliens who'd enslaved humanity invents a resistance movement out of whole cloth to impress a girl, and then ends up accidentally fomenting revolution against the aliens for real.

dudes rock

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
i dunno why but it's funny to me that hbo has Citizen Kane available to stream.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They did this and Snyder won everything lol

So what you’re saying is the system worked

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

i dunno why but it's funny to me that hbo has Citizen Kane available to stream.

that movie has the best fireplace I've ever seen.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

https://x.com/ByYourLogic/status/1773067808026349747?s=20

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
...just give Bakshi a ton of money instead jesus christ. at least he had an undying love of the subjects

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Thats loving dire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

why are half of the scenes just completely missing in-between frames