Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

do you think people who worked on or are otherwise associated with The Eternals watched Dune, to keep up with developments in the world of cinema and see what else is out there etc, or do you think they're all snapping at any of their friends and relatives who mention having seen it

My first job out of college was at Microsoft, and I remember on like day 2 my boss asked me what video games I was playing and was visibly upset when I mentioned Mario Galaxy 2. We didn't even work in Xbox

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

didn't any of these people see Deadpool, or does that one not count because the only non-Deadpool characters in it were c-list X-men

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

well, you see, the actors are also extremely well known to us, like for example the main dude was on Game of Thrones, where, famously, nobody hosed

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

hearing the key in the door every evening was my own "Will Smith smacking Chris Rock" for almost 20 years

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

You don't see it yet, but everybody is organizing themselves politically by how they responded to this.

I firmly and unironically believe one's ability to separate pop-cultural fluff from stuff that legitimately and materially matters is a key driver of one's political issues in the 21st-century West because of how much of our waking hours is spent thinking about meaningless media bullshit

so yeah for example the guy who said this was the same as 9/11 is gonna have bad politics ideas, because to him a guy slapping another guy on TV and thousands of civilians dying in a terrorist attack can both be sorted neatly into the "stuff I saw on TV which upset me" box and that's the only one that matters

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

speng31b posted:

if the only coherent response my brain can make is "haha lol" what does that mean about me politically

this is healthy

a man slapped a man for saying something bad about his wife, they were both rich and famous men but the slap has no further significance

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Just laugh at the psychotic tweets you idiots.

since when could I be accused of thinking you shouldn't laugh at psychotic tweets :confused:

just agreeing that they're psychotic

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

https://twitter.com/nypost/status/1508413391232249865

e: dangit twitter crop :argh:

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Just in case nobody thought ahead and screenshotted, that was the "if Will Smith had slapped Betty White instead of Chris Rock, and she had then fallen backward and hit her head on the floor and bled to death, nobody would think this was so funny" take

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

oh, so you think this was "funny" and "lol" eh? What if instead of hitting Chris Rock, Will Smith had crashed an airliner full of civilians into the World Trade Center, killing thousands? Not so funny now, is it?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Srice posted:

What if, seconds before Will Smith's slap connected, he suddenly manifested the power of the God Hand

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

at the end of each year's In Memoriam, they should take the oldest living SAG member and let the Best Actor slap them to death

midsommar vibes, it works

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hordes of marauding youths in Will Smith masks roaming the streets, first fooling unsuspecting marks into making disparaging remarks about women's hair, then slapping them

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Breakfast All Day posted:

mel gibson was literally in the audience

Exactly, he embarrassed himself in front of Mel Gibson

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

remember when that warrenite teacher lady tried to convince her class that Bernie Sanders wearing mittens outside in January was white supremacy somehow and they were like "what the hell are you talking about" and she wrote an op-ed about what an educational experience it was for them and it got published

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Srice posted:

I completely forgot, and would like to see it if it hasn't been taken offline out of shame

I found posts discussing it at the time, and the tweet with the link has been taken down but I apparently had the foresight to block-quote the text in its entirety so here's a C&P

quote:

Three weeks ago I processed the Capitol insurrection with my high school students. Rallying our inquiry skills, we analyzed the images of that historic day, images of white men storming through the Capitol, fearless and with no forces to stop them. “This,” I said, “is white supremacy, this is white privilege. It can be hard to pinpoint, but when we see, it, we know it.”

Across our Zoom screen, they affirmed, with nods, thumbs-ups, and emojis of anger and frustration. Fast-forward two weeks as we analyzed images from the inauguration, asking again, “What do we see?” We saw diversity, creativity and humanity, and a nation embracing all of this and more. On the day of the inauguration, Bernie Sanders was barely on our radar. The next day, he was everywhere.

“What do we see?” I asked again. We’ve been studying diversity and discrimination in the United States; my students were ready. What did they see? They saw a white man in a puffy jacket and huge mittens, distant not only in his social distancing, but in his demeanor and attire.

We took in the meaning of the day, the vulnerability of democracy, the power of ritual, traditions and the peaceful transition of power.

We talked about gender and the possible meanings of the attire chosen by Vice President Kamala Harris, Dr. Jill Biden, the Biden grandchildren, Michelle Obama, Amanda Gorman and others. We referenced the female warriors inspiring these women, the colors of their educational degrees and their monochromatic ensembles of pure power.

And there, across all of our news and social media feeds, was Bernie: Bernie memes, Bernie sweatshirts, endless love for Bernie. I puzzled and fumed as an individual as I strove to be my best possible teacher. What did I see? What did I think my students should see? A wealthy, incredibly well-educated and -privileged white man, showing up for perhaps the most important ritual of the decade, in a puffy jacket and huge mittens.

I mean in no way to overstate the parallels. Sen. Sanders is no white supremacist insurrectionist. But he manifests privilege, white privilege, male privilege and class privilege, in ways that my students could see and feel.

“When you see privilege, you know it,” I’d told them weeks before. Yet, when they saw Sen. Bernie Sanders manifesting privilege, when seemingly no one else did, I struggled to explain that disparity. I am beyond puzzled as to why so many are loving the images of Bernie and his gloves. Sweet, yes, the gloves, knit by an educator. So “Bernie.”

Not so sweet? The blindness I see, of so many (Bernie included), to the privileges Bernie represents. I don’t know many poor, or working class, or female, or struggling-to-be-taken-seriously folk who would show up at the inauguration of our 46th president dressed like Bernie. Unless those same folk had privilege. Which they don’t.

nb w/r/t that last line: this is how Liz Warren and Janet Yellen dressed to the inauguration

all tarted up as you can see

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

this was in the San Francisco Chronicle

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Koirhor posted:

jesus christ man just get divorced it’s not that big of a deal, his ego though won’t allow it

I feel like this puts the slap in full context

Like I'm not gonna look directly at the camera and say "The Soy Cuck Meme" but this is not a secure or strong relationship

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My first college girlfriend made me watch Sex and the City in exchange for me making her watch Firefly, which is a hilarious sentence to type for at least two reasons

Anyway I don't remember anything except the main character puking at Vogue???

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

If I had known what Joss Whedon would one day become and embody I might not have purchased and repeatedly watched that DVD box set

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

My now-wife made me watch the Gilmore girls.

Bourgie-rear end wealthy Connecticut insurance industry family with two generations of faildaughters

I don't think I've ever fully paid attention to a complete episode of the Gilmore Girls but I know the theme song by heart and I think I could probably identify any character in it by name for the same reason

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

A lot of "banter" based shows come off super artificial because people IRL just don't spend very much of their time bantering

This is also true for shows I like. Letterkenny is funny but I have to watch it with subtitles on because they just banter so goddamn much

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Letterkenny banter is also very formulaic on a per-character basis, but it works because it's so formulaic that the formula is itself the joke, rather than just an unconscious tendency the writers have like Good Soup's Gilmore Girls example

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

a chastened John Cena laboriously apologizing to the camera in Turkish

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

AnimeIsTrash posted:

This was easily one of the funniest things posted itt. Why would you probe it?

For posterity

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

How long until every actor in Hollywood has played an MCU character

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Funny to remember that as the antagonist of Iron Man 1, Jeff Bridges has been an MCU actor since launch

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Nonsense posted:

I'm more waiting for an A-lister to flat out refuse to work with anybody who read a Marvel script

Was Willem Dafoe in the new spiderman because if not this sounds like it could be a Willem move

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

do you think jumping on a couch or becoming the face of Scientology has done more damage to Tom Cruise

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Eric Cantonese posted:

I thought that was all the same thing. Like it was a "mask off" moment showing that Tom Cruise was a Xenu-hating nutjob in real life.

eh maybe, in my memory he was excited about marrying Katie Holmes or something but maybe those were at the same time too

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

didn't the 2022 Best Picture nominees include a psychological thriller, an adaptation of a beloved science-fiction classic, and loving West Side Story

Hell, Coda is also a musical

what is he complaining about, is it just that none of them were cartoons or superhero movies or what

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

things explode in Dune but they don't quip or banter so YAAAAWN why even bother

the characters sing and dance in West Side Story, but, they're played by people with cameras pointed at them rather than being CGI renders??? no thank you, pizza party pizza party pizza party

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

lol he called West Side Story a 'vegetables' movie? The loving musical that climaxes with a gang brawl?

Not by name, he just had the same generic complaint about Best Picture nominees that people have had every year for decades despite the fact that this year's crop was actually about half mass-market stuff

It's equally possible that he just didn't bother looking up what the nominees even were this year, or that he's that much of a manbaby that he unironically thinks West Side Story is too highbrow

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

also does The Daily Show not have a studio audience for COVID reasons or were they all just watching Trevor Noah's monologue in stony silence

I'd believe either one because it wasn't funny

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Casey Finnigan posted:

why are people pretending like they care about which movies win the oscars

the oscars are dead as gently caress the only thing that happened this year was will smith slapping chris rock.

if that didn't happen there would be no oscars discussion at all just like last year

I literally didn't know the Oscars had happened at all until I heard about The Slap

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

drat horror queefs posted:

Lmao at bluecheck "Abigail Disney" decrying the "monster of corporate America's creation"

What a goofball

That thread just made me contemplate how many people are cheering and applauding at the news that big business is defecting from the Republican Party to the Democratic one, thinking that this will solve all our problems and prove which side of history is correct, and I'm sad now

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Still watching through Letterkenny, and it's good

What We Do In The Shadows was supposed to be next on the list, but I'm intrigued by Our Flag Means Death despite it being basically the same idea but for pirates instead of vampires

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Lib and let die posted:

it's best viewed as a series of anime music videos tbh the lore is just...nonsense.

it's a series of like fifty music videos made for a single song

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

haven't watched a bleach since sophomore year of college and "iiiif you wanna seeeee some action" is still crystal clear in my memory

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

sexpig by night posted:

Yea What We Do In The Shadows is objectively the better show even discounting the fact that Matt Berry is one of the funniest people on earth, but Our Flag Means Death is also really good so yea just decide if you feel like vampire or pirate based humor because there's no wrong choice there.

TBH the only reason my wife and I haven't watched any What We Do In The Shadows yet is that we wanna watch the movie first and getting our hands on the spare time and energy to watch an entire movie with a kid under 2 is easier said than done so we've been putting it off for like two months