Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

DesertIslandHermit posted:

"What if good thing was secretly bad thing?" is a commonly used trope but it always brings out the laziest loving writers.
Better things aren't possible. Anyone pretending to have a superior society is hiding some unspeakable evil they commit to keep up the appearances of a better world. Any person trying to improve things is naïve or has a secret agenda to commit evil.

Give up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rog0lar7Zn8

This movie is funny because it's really not a horror about the realities of sustaining life after we've made the planet uninhabitable to the point that somehow all animals are extinct, but mankind is still kicking. Instead of the food riots, cannibalism, and mass graves of eco fascism (or hey, maybe there's plenty of resources left and the elites are hoarding it?) it tries to portray the totalitarian measures governments would have to take to survive as basically culture war bullshit. There's no underground market or crime or desperate homeless, it's yuppies eating food they don't like and complaining how long they waited to get into a museum ("4 years"). "The government won't let me have a real christmas tree so I drove to a preserve and cut one down! Hippies are forcing me to live as a poly couple!"

I'm pretty sure when boomers think of pollution, this is the worst future they can imagine. Birth control in every bathroom.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I bet he didn't even get to punch a nazi

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
When I was reading descriptions of these I thought it was weird to complain about Looney Tunes making pop culture references when it was common to base an episode around Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall showing up to a restaurant (1947), or Wile E Coyote puts on a Batman costume to try to catch the Roadrunner (1956), but that's pretty jarring. If you saw someone photoshop the Roadrunner into a shot from Fury Road and shared it on Twitter you'd probably get a lot of chuckles, but it's not really a gag worth filling out minutes of a feature film. Instead it comes across like more of a threat that they own all these properties and now they can make them kith.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

DesertIslandHermit posted:

So many clips of this movie feel way better to just make as an advertisement for HBO Max. It's what I hate of this thing. It's a 2 hour commercial.
https://twitter.com/HardDriveMag/status/1416382184164843522?s=20

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Mantis42 posted:

still better than liking capeshit

unrelated but interesting, films with the biggest disparity between how men and women rate them:

2001 - The year the Supreme Court ruled that women can start watching movies

I can't even joke that "oh, it's because the boys club was fading" for these

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Farm Frenzy posted:

the same tier of what?
Gotta know what tier of film Thor 2 and Blue Velvet are on

indigi posted:

deservingness of scorn. they’re all a little stupid but have cool poo poo to look at. to be fair I haven’t seen all all the Marvel movies and tv stuff so maybe Ant Man or Deadpool or whatever really suck poo poo but they’re probably about as “good” as the rest of it, which is to say obviously flawed
lol, you're talking out your rear end

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

endocriminologist posted:

i love movies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
not me, i hate em :argh:

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Bideo James posted:

what was the last hollywood movie that featured Mao?
See, nobody's talking about this!

Hollywood please make more Mao movies so I can be mad at you!

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I would probably kill myself if I was expected to release 2 movies each year for 7 years

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

God Hole posted:

a major point of discussion in the Green Knight CD thread was that it was boring as gently caress and needed a battle scene to spice things up
It true, there's a decapitation but no battles in Green Knight. And A Ghost Story had one death but didn't have any scares!

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
They had money in the budget for a swordfight or cum, not both

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Trabisnikof posted:

what does the blindfolded lady in green knight symbolize?
She represents all the people who didn't watch the film.

I thought it was echoes of the imagery from his mother's ritual with her coven, and meant to suggest this scenario, like all the others, was being orchestrated by them.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Spuckuk posted:

I beg you to watch any Stephen Chow martial arts film
Love Kung Fu Hustle and Shaolin Soccer, definitely his peak. God of Cookery and King of Comedy are also good. Too bad he has some mean-spirited jabs at a recurring trans character in all his films, despite generally wholesome themes.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
There were a lot more jokes in the Watchmen HBO series than the original, but the biggest one of all was at the end where Ozymandias is getting arrested and is like "The President was in on the cover-up, are you going to arrest them, too?" and Laurie is like "well, yeah" and this is presented like a serious thing that can happen because no one is above the law lmao

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
The Kill Bill animation was actually done by Production IG

http://www.productionig.com/contents/works_sp/25_/

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
White people are begrudgingly allowed to visit ethnic restaurants, but cannot talk about it in public or attempt to cook these meals at home. They are restricted to boiled cabbage and potatoes.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Entertainment: "Don't be this guy"
Viewer: "I'm the guy, look at me lol"

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Clearly a local publication for Bronson, Missouri teens.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Some Guy TT posted:

so i watched an episode of star trek lower decks last night and was pretty galled at how every character was an obnoxious rear end in a top hat like it might have worked if this was an always sunny style sitcom where their being obnoxious assholes is the point but it felt like i was supposed to think they were sympathetic

huge waste of the genuinely funny idea of defeating a godlike human alien hybrid entity by repeatedly kicking his corporeal body in the junk while hes astral projecting
Lower Decks gets better (last 2 are genuinely good) but it's not worth staying through the poo poo to get there. The VA who plays Beckett said that when she was auditioning for her role she thought she was a wacky side character and not one of the main characters, which shows she has better instincts about making a tv show than the writers. Tendi and Rutherford are genuinely more interesting and relatable characters, focusing on Beckett and Boimler swung the show into being a poor Rick & Morty clone for the majority of the season. And it becomes bizarre when they try to apply the "this character has a huge adventurous backstory and reputation and has known all these cool people and been everywhere" when the character is relatively young and not old.

And for a show that fans praise as having such deep cut jokes I found the references pretty shallow aside for the oddballs like Spock's helmet. It's like they were just given an encyclopedia on Star Trek and merchandise, but only had seen some episodes on TBS passively. Sometimes I'm not even sure if it's supposed to be actually be a general scifi parody instead of distinctly Star Trek, or if the writers have a really warped idea about Star Trek. Several times they seem to be sincerely putting forth a moral lesson that they strictly follow the rules too much...in Star Trek? Huh?

Knight has issued a correction as of 17:41 on Aug 21, 2021

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Serf posted:

https://twitter.com/HosteenCholo/status/1429492417678303236?s=20
https://twitter.com/SlayerNortyOG/status/1429668113109319683?s=20

i love going to literally everything by de sade before thinking of like, the turner diaries or something truly repugnant
For all the "red flag" movies being R-rated films that have mass appeal but particular focus by edgy teenage boys, the "green flag" movies being offered up sound like things a child groomer would pretend to really be into

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A lot of the best ideas come from limitations.
They really do. Low budgets, on-set challenges, and even censors have forced entertainers to be creative and keep them on their toes. Giving them everything they want often ends in a boring disaster of a final product.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Ghost Leviathan posted:

No idea where better to ask the question: Does Superman need to eat?
No, he can eat but he absorbs his power from the sun.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

indigi posted:

maybe a couple kids learn something about MLK from this. maybe it can be good
From what I heard, Fortnite thinks of itself as transitioning to a platform for other games and types of content rather than just battle royale cartoon shooting, but the sentiment isn't bad.

There have been a few companies using VR to make some free documentary-style experiences that have been pretty enjoyable. The Last Goodbye takes you on a guided trip by a Holocaust survivor to Majdanek as he recounts his experiences on his final trip back. I Am A Man puts you on the streets with civil rights protestors while they narrate their involvement in the movement and their experiences. The Book of Distance has you harvesting crops with a family of Japanese immigrants, putting you in their shoes (at one point behind the barb-wire fence of a camp) as they face racism and imprisonment in 1930s Canada.

These are unique and I believe valuable ways of trying to involve the viewer with history in a way that is more immersive, particularly for ones that have trouble engaging with text or have difficulty visualizing these experiences. Some of them are striking in a way a simple video is not - Traveling While Black, depicting the green book experience of minorities planning trips along safe places to eat or sleep, puts you in the Ben's Chili Bowl while people talk discuss the history of the place and race-relations, while the mirror next to you stops being a reflection and begins to depict the diner as it was 60 years ago.

Maybe some kids will form a better connection with history, maybe it will be trolled by racists, or maybe it'll end up like that Captain Planet episode where Wheeler gives us the scoop on The Troubles. I dunno. I just post.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

The United States posted:

Yep there sure is, the outrage machine has been cranking for a week

I don't even get this because I think the character I created for SR3 was a low res version of that

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Will character customization let me choose which slurs are used against me?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Can Kiefer Sutherland save the planet?

<takes every suicide pill he can find, leaving his family to face the end because he's a horrific coward and was afraid he didn't have enough pills>

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I don't even understand what the parasites thought was going to happen. They were so over confident that they tried to coup before they even had enough agents in place, then it just stands there while getting its hosts head blown off and, shortly after, vaporized while doing the same. Was this an elaborate suicide?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Falstaff posted:

I'll reserve judgement, ultimately, and I'm not going to pretend I won't see it, but I don't think it's a great sign that one of the Wachowskis chose to bow out of getting involved with this one.

quote:

"[Lana] had come up with this idea for another Matrix movie, and we had this talk, and it was actually — we started talking about it in between [our] dad dying and [our] mom dying, which was like five weeks apart," Lilly said. "And there was something about the idea of going backward and being a part of something that I had done before that was expressly unappealing. And, like, I didn't want to have gone through my transition and gone through this massive upheaval in my life, the sense of loss from my mom and dad, to want to go back to something that I had done before, and sort of [walk] over old paths that I had walked in, felt emotionally unfulfilling, and really the opposite — like I was going to go back and live in these old shoes, in a way. And I didn't want to do that."

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
horror doesn't need to be scary :colbert:

don't know about new candyman tho

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I am curious what the machines are up to outside the Matrix. Has this become their purpose? All of them just security guards like Smith, stuck in this prison to keep the inmates from revolting? Or has the destruction of the planet been so bad that this is a comfortable existence in comparison?

Also, highly recommend Malignant as a blind watch. The reveal in the last third and the follow through is loving wildly insane and fun.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Alex Kurtzman is currently considered the "universe showrunner" for Star Trek and they just extended his contract through 2026

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Norm MacDead

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Box of Bunnies posted:

Only cowards skip the salt episode
Assuming this didn't make the cut for the movies?

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Xaris posted:

is it worth watching if you dislike self-aware intentional lovely stuff like sharknado? i prefer sincerity, regardless of 'campy' levels, 70s-80s horrory stuff more. i don't like stuff that's more like directors going oh hahah ya bro i also watch mst3k, u like that ref?? lmao this is so bad am i right??
I hated Sharknado, Kung Fury etc but had a blast with Malignant. It's more 90's schlock than unsubtle irony poisoning.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Handmaid's Tale was 0/11 because Biden won

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

Mr Hootington posted:

Fletch lives is amazingly racist even for the time. Holy moley
KKK Leader: Folks ain't home. Cross won't burn. Hell, it ain't like it used to be.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Paul Schrader has written the lonely self destructive man kills himself ending before and it's not surprising that the movie with heavy religious themes ended with the main character finding some grace

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

etalian posted:

She also probably banged Eric Andre and somehow survived the experience.
https://twitter.com/ryanpye87/status/1445443914991751174?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Remember when you could say "oh, that's a troll account" and be certain it wasn't being funded by their own marketing team to generate controversy? :corsair:

Knight has issued a correction as of 20:43 on Oct 11, 2021