Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Ignorant Hick posted:

Also that stupid Holodomor scene has the old lady in it directly compare the soldier trying to save her idiot life to the loving Nazi invaders.

Telling a PRIVATE CITIZEN to get away from a possible radiation hazard. Oh the authoritarian horror.

i dont think the writers even realized that having an old Ukrainian literally call it the holodomor meant that they were asking us to sympathize with an actual nazi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

i get it, i'd rather watch something weird and terrible than the dark empty void that is a MCU flick

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

madtv always seemed like the white trash version of snl to me while i was growing up, is that an accurate impression

yes its better than snl

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

nomadland wasnt very good at all. im not surprised it won though, what america needed right now is film directed by an Asian American woman that was a platitudinal throwback to the New American Realism movement from the obama years. mcdormand still owns tho

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Mameluke posted:

Isnt nomadland just about how america is special and perfect even if youre A Poor

if you think about it living out of a van really encapsulates the american Pioneer Spirit

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

KomradeX posted:

Is that seriously what that movie is about?

yeah at one point they very explicitly say it. it probably wouldnt be so bad with a lighter touch, but instead it just wanted the aesthetics of a Kelly Reichardt-type film but with all the sentimentality that the academy loves

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

stroszek, but instead through stoic fortitude and unshakable hope, he drives off into the horizon with his frozen turkey

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

i enjoyed chernobyl on the balance but it was extremely funny whenever *schniff* ideology pushed the actual plot down so they could show how ~bad and dangerous~ Soviet government was or make nuclear power look like an actual slasher villain, like the shoe factory line or completely making poo poo up about how radiation worked to make the fireman’s wifes story extra tragic

the worst scene is definitely the one where we are supposed to feel bad for the old nazi lady because they have to shoot her irradiated cow

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

king of the hill owns even despite being an overtly reactionary show

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

i dont hate snyder and would rather watch his absolutely insane trash before another marvel movie, but 300 is still one of the worst movies i have ever seen; ugly, boring, for morons, etc

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lol the boomer brain is the least embarrassing of those

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

i honestly dont even understand why theres any discourse around zak snyder of all people. it feels like if everyone suddenly had strong opinions about renny harlin.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

scorcese's (anodyne, tame) comments really revealed some insecurities of the marvel enjoyers (or at least their most vocal supporters/media freaks)....... would have been a good opportunity for some reflection, but alas

did anyone even ask marty's opinion about amusement parks? he probably doesnt even hate them!

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/jaynonamebe/status/1403049220744089607

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/anxietydepotbuf/status/1404595602676199429

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

tarantino seems like hes personally an annoying weirdo but his movies are good

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

indigi posted:

tarentinos dialogue is Kevin Smith tier

nice try, troll

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

yeah my brain initially had to read "dazzling" as sarcasm because that is just pathetic.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

speaking of new sketch comedy im cautiously optimistic about the new KITH

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lmao

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

https://twitter.com/duckisgod/status/1416579826056585219

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

McCloud posted:

Why are people mad over Smiths He-man, the franchise was never anything more than glorified toy commercials and fetish incubator anyways

im just mad that Kevin Smith had been given a career at all, much less still allowed to work.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Judge Dredd Scott posted:

blazing saddles and young frankenstein came out the same year? drat, dude

its almost as incredible as Seventh Seal and Wild Strawberries

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

adam curtis is definitely a big ol stinky lib

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

the farewell was pretty good

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

lmao

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

the animatrix is the only good matrix movie

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

herzog's bad lieutenant is the better Dudes Rock movie anyway

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

General Dog posted:

If you could send 2001 one non-documentary cultural artifact (movie, tv episode, music video, etc) to warn the past of what’s coming, just in general, what would it be?

world trade center starring nicolas cage

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

imagine if instead hawke walked out, closed his eyes, and pressed the button... drat it wouldve been epic

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Knight posted:

Paul Schrader has written the lonely self destructive man kills himself ending before and it's not surprising that the movie with heavy religious themes ended with the main character finding some grace

it was also strongly telegraphed. maybe you think that sucks also but idk how you could love all the other seyfried scenes and still be disappointed with the ending

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

but can anyone explain why all the kids love Columbo now

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

indigi posted:

same reason they like friends, dogshit taste

what the gently caress

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

indigi posted:

why was a white person running Dear White People, that’s weird

https://twitter.com/simongloom/status/1446505406386352128

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

the movie is fine, tho its true its only remembered fondly thanks to wilder. charlie was a weepy lil bitch lol

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

finally watched Dragged Across Concrete and though im not completely sure what i think about the discourse but im leaning towards "libs are just as illiterate as the hooting rightwingers". i liked it.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

Unoriginal Name posted:

the director is alt-right adjacent

how so?

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Dragged Across Concrete was cool and even ended on a standard liberal high-note

The distaste for it almost certainly just because of Mel Gibson as a person

that overwritten scene with don johnson was played straight enough that i think it was supposed to make the viewer uncomfortable, but it seems that zahlers whole deal is closer to LVT-style trolling of his audience/critics than a sign that he's "alt-right" or whatever. Gibson as a racist cop was inspired casting lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

The most uncomfortable part of the movie for me was the entire subplot with Jennifer Carpenter, but I just told myself that that was part of the genre that the film was set in/was emulating.

yeah that was what i was thinking of wrt to comparing him to von trier- "oh you were gonna give a poo poo about this character? gently caress You"