Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

we've been burning through the star treks during quarantine and just started Enterprise season 3, and the escalation of EXPLOSIONS AND TITS AND MARINES is a tad concerning. was surprisingly fun until now

also everyone's behavior has gotten more extreme. Archer's screaming at everyone and T'pol has gone from cold and sardonic to either making doe eyes or looking like she was crying between takes

i assume this is Rick Berman's fault

Durf has issued a correction as of 07:02 on Jun 14, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

aahahahahahaha YASSSSS

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

grate deceiver posted:

wow holy poo poo Midnight Mass turned out soo good

like for all my bitching about the old guy/lady makeup, it just got better each episode end ended strong as gently caress, they executed it perfectly
A+ would recommend

ya its really good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oJ17B9iNhg

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

DesertIslandHermit posted:

All of the movies, even the bad Amazing ones, were huge blockbucksters. Far From Home made over a billion.

It's also because Maguire and Garfield are going to be in it. They've been trying to pretend to hide it for awhile which is pretty dumb because I would have showed them from the first teaser.

looking at the imdb cast I'm honestly shocked they brought in Foxx and Dafoe

going by the trailer I thought they were CGI/impersonator standins, like what they did with Hugo Weaving in Infinity War

They saw Into The Spider-Verse, ignored all the of character writing and presentation and only absorbed 'People love a megacrossover of Spider-Mans'

Spider-Verse only worked because the suits weren't interested in a cartoon, and by the time they realized its potential it was too late to interfere

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

smarxist posted:

one of the greatest bit characters ever

And...

...the hat....

That fuckin' hat....

That loving...

How many times have I told you, don't wear that loving hat here?

How many?

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

hey Oscar Isaac's back to superheros and egypt let's see how that pans out this time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7Krla_UxRg

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

skipmyseashells posted:

and there goes issac oscar’s career

he's gonna be Solid Snake!!!!

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

I know they're going to do their damndest to make MGS boring enough for general audiences

and I legit hope it succeeds just so they're forced to have a sequel where Snake dies in the first 10 minutes and is replaced by a guy we haven't seen before whining about his girlfriend for the rest of the film, amidst constant insane nonsense

starring Timothée Chalamet as Raiden

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Oscar Isaac menacingly pointing his gun and grunting for 15 minutes while the bad guy shares their plans for world domination and a detailed summary of the sociopolitical climate of the cold war

psycho mantis making fun of the audience scores in the pre-show trivia app, before simulating a blackout and telling everyone to go home

the lovable guard Johnny with irritable bowel syndrome will be played by Ryan Reynolds

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Fitzy Fitz posted:

There should be abridged version of some of King's longer books. I've lost interest in several once the excitement of the premise wore off and I was only a third of the way through the book.

this is why his short story collections are generally better

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

We should have more of this. People will bitch about what's the point but violence is dirty and pointless in our lives.

https://twitter.com/HeadExposure/status/1485001686334726160

hell yes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u61F_qvdid0

(sadly missing the end credit of 'mark's wife:')

Also reminds me of the ending for Takeshi Miike's 'Dead or Alive'

It's actually a fairly serious and well done crime film, like a Japanese HEAT. On the commentary Miike said he had two of the biggest starts of japanese film and tv at the time putting butts in seats, so he could do whatever the gently caress he wanted in the last 5 minutes.

watching it with friends just to gauge their reactions is one of my fave movie memories

Durf has issued a correction as of 09:58 on Jan 25, 2022

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

BUY MY APE!

PLEASE!

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

kudos to the Bored Yacht Club for shoveling millions at C list celebs and trade mags to humiliate themselves hocking worthless bullshit tho

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Xaris posted:

lol rip del toro. cancelled by internet for implying manchildren bad

tbf I haven't had the energy to watch anything beyond feel-good escapism lately and I don't blame anyone wanting to be babby

when things were relatively good in the 90s/00s i was always looking for a reason to feel miserable and indulge in some heartbreaking indie flick

these days the real world sucks enough, and while I do usually enjoy it when we force ourselves to watch something with artistic merit, most of the time it's just easier to put on some harmless sci-fi or mystery

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

also weirdest/funniest thing about the Expanse show was when one of the actors was outed as a sex pest so they killed their character off-camera then cut to an obvious doctored still representing their floating dead body.

i mean they did their best given the situation but they basically gave them the Poochy treatment. i had to rewind a few times to understand wtf just happened

also this was kinda fun but a bit silly to put in the final climactic scene of the series. its like a fanboy Xcom roster

Durf has issued a correction as of 10:56 on Feb 2, 2022

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Suplex Liberace posted:

I saw post apocalyptic play once where bands of actors would roam around trading old sitcom scripts rewritten by people who remembered them. I imagine this is our future more than anything else

station eleven suggests people in the wasteland would want to sit around for Shakespeare

when in reality they'd want to hear the stories of four comedians living in NYC

*guy with colander on his head slides into scene from stage right and slaps money on table*

"I'M OUT!!!!!"

*wounded audience howls, trash band jams on banjo made from industrial parts*

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

boba fett isnt as bad as I thought it would be. Temuera is having fun and the 2nd ep had some great moments.

1st and 3rd are bad tho and make me wonder if Rodriguez should direct anything anymore. i'll assume it has something to do with being a control freak and not delegating to people who know how to make action look good

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

mastershakeman posted:

The action in alita was great , was that Rodriguez just relying on James Cameron's old storyboards or something

I'm assuming the CGI team handled everything based on his notes/storyboards/flailing.

In Boba it seems like he's trying to do everything in camera which isn't the best if you're trying to make speeders or a 60 year old look fast. The edits are weird and laggy feeling too.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

also re: film/TV adaptations of books, my wife is insanely well-read and hated all of them until.... amazon's Reacher. she reads tons of smarty books but has a thing for pulp and thinks the show nails the source material (escapist trash).

I for one think the action is a lot more brutal and better choreographed than in the terrible trailers, which made it look like a Hallmark film. And deliberate or not the Reacher actor has a stilted autistic sociopath thing going on which makes him more than pure tough guy fantasy. Also Guillermo from the funny vampire show plays the coroner.

mostly I'm just waiting to see what they do with Herzog's character from the film, and if we see any on-screen allusion to Reacher's MONSTER HOG.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Dreylad posted:

you have to wonder if the grey havens is all that if the five wizards show up on middle earth and immediately get distracted by pipe weed, animals, and whatever the hell the blue wizards got into.

tolkien subconsciously realizing heaven would be boring as gently caress, like any good catholic

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

indigi posted:

totally agreed, also Drummer and Amos are hot as hell and I like looking at them

i never stopped calling Drummer "Bosmang", she was my fave

I first saw her in a canadian western series Strange Empire, no idea if its any good but she's a Metis gunslinger and looks cool as hell (actress Cara Gee is Ojibwe)

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Antonymous posted:

uncut gems was really good in the theater

it was overwhelming (in a good way) at home I can't imagine in the theatre.

my last theatre trip was The Lighthouse which owned bones. there's a lot to be said for even seeing 'small' films in theatre, the lack of distractions really helps transport you into the film

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

I still think Nintendo announcing Chris Pratt as the voice of Mario is the weirdest thing to see in the past year.

But you see Pratt with Mario, Holland with Uncharted and Mulaney/Samberg with Chip 'N Dale and it shows they literally do not give a poo poo and will just let Hollywood do whatever.

I mean its still a step up from giving everything to Uwe Boll.

Some Guy TT posted:

i still cant believe someone looked at tom holland and went oh yeah this is the guy we need to play a smug jock archaeologist who spends most of his time murdering foreigners this was clearly a job for jim from the office

should've gone with Nathan Fillion tbh

also 'last three holland films' is pretty selective. he's averaging around 60-70% outside Avengers: https://www.rottentomatoes.com/celebrity/tom_holland

Devil all the Time was a loving miserable experience tho, if well made. Also had no idea he was in Locke, that's a good movie.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Iron Crowned posted:

I watched Devil all the Time about a month ago, I think I fell asleep because I have no idea what happened in it.

everyone is awful and his dog gets crucified

so dont watch if u like dogs

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

I admit I had a laugh when Chip N Dale went to the land of lovely CGI

also if this works we're getting the whole disney morning lineup. talespin, darkwing, duck tales....

LGD posted:

that's the conventional wisdom, but imo after Arcane somehow worked no one should really have any more excuses

holy poo poo I want the Arcane team to do a Gargoyles reboot

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Arcane was made in-house, wasn't it? It's basically an entirely different ecosystem, separate from Hollywood or regular TV. Seems more likely that other game companies try something similar and we get "good" "adaptations" that way than it happening through Hollywood paying attention.

I wonder if that's gonna cause issues in the future, if a parallel system is created that starts muscling in on Hollywood's turf.

Riot contracted paris studio Fortiche, who did some of their better trailers

article about them here: https://www.cartoonbrew.com/studios/the-secret-to-arcane-studio-fortiches-success-its-owned-by-artists-211970.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB8TyLTD7EE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOxkGD8qRB4

Durf has issued a correction as of 19:52 on Feb 16, 2022

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

let Kojima finally drop the gaming pretense and just make a drat movie instead of 10 hours of cutscenes

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Lib and let die posted:

The most satisfying experience

Ya if I replay it I’m only doing the beginning and huge mid section with all the highways.

Amelie loving sucks and that part on the beach was the ultimate test of enduring Hideo’s bullshit

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

~~~2 tWisTed~~~

https://twitter.com/IndieWire/status/1494824551913607179

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Mr Hootington posted:

Batman '66 really colored how I thought Batman villains were, but in reality they almost all were psycho murder hobos

batman villians own because they're all based on psychological hang-ups/illnesses, but they had to also be murderers to 'justify' Batman being a hyper violent bootlicker narc beating up the disadvantaged and mentally ill

as flawed as it was, I was hoping the new Batman would be in the Joker universe because the overt portrayal of a trust fund vigilante out for revenge would be a grimdark but also novel take on the character

anyways I'd love a Court of Owls film cause it was probably the only batman story that punched upwards, and him getting absolutely owned by the gotham illuminati was fun

also Super is the best superhero film

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_iwVg9zf0E

Durf has issued a correction as of 05:29 on Feb 20, 2022

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

watched Crimson Tide last night and it ends with russian troops eventually having no will to fight in the face of Armageddon and surrendering en masse. so it made me feel better about this Ukraine situation

also love how they took every opportunity to make captain Gene Hackman say truly heinous poo poo about women for some reason

and Viggo Mortensen does that weird grover voice thing that happens whenever he gets loud

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

indigi posted:

is this because they have no original programming besides marvel and star wars? all the other streaming services have a variety of new and original series and movies, Disney hasn’t done poo poo but coast on IP built decades before they came along

tbh its worth a subscription for access to every Disney/Pixar release (and marvel i guess), and old disney series. Been making my way through Gargoyles.

Apple on the other hand...

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Dark is one of the GOAT scifi/horror shows, and gets practically no recognition.

doesn't help that it defaults to english dub and sounds loving weird

Durf has issued a correction as of 06:24 on Mar 1, 2022

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

the best part of Rogue One is the intro and not much else. it looks like Death Stranding and Mikkelsen and Mendelsohn own

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

watch Animal Kingdom and Starred Up if you haven't already

for playing terrifying characters he seems like a really chill and funny guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IpbcKzs03j8

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

StashAugustine posted:

saw guerrera did nothing wrong

he let a sex pest tentacle monster have its way with people

cancelled

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

speaking of old republic why is Padme's nurse droid in the new trailer. i thought this poo poo was like 10k years before the OT you HACK FRAUDS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QgbMAdtp7aE

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

they'll say Maul isn't coming back, but I bet you anything by the last ep Duel of the Fates will start playing and he'll show up and the fans will lose their goddamn minds

keep in mind that midway through Boba Fett they basically abandoned him and made it the third season of the Mandalorian. also "somehow Palpatine returned"

I think anything is possible when Disney's design philosophy is frantically screaming WHAT DO YOU WANT at the fanbase

Durf has issued a correction as of 04:32 on Mar 16, 2022

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

I'm watching the documentary In Search of the Last Action Hero which is pretty fun

but modern day Ronny Cox is freaking me out in how much he looks like one the TRUMP thread face morphs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

also I had no idea Die Hard was based on this book with a pretty cool cover

also Al Leong (every 80s asian bad guy) thought it was going to bomb because Rickman was talking too slow lol

quote:

Retired NYPD detective Joe Leland is visiting the 40-story office headquarters of the Klaxon Oil Corporation in Los Angeles on Christmas Eve, where his daughter Stephanie Leland Gennaro works.

While he is waiting for his daughter's Christmas party to end, a group of German Autumn–era terrorists take over the skyscraper. The gang is led by the brutal Anton "Little Tony the Red" Gruber. Joe had known about Gruber through a counter-terrorism conference he had attended years prior. Barefoot, Leland slips away and manages to remain undetected in the gigantic office complex. Armed with only his Browning Pistol and in communication with Los Angeles Police sergeant Al Powell and his belligerent supervisor, Leland fights off the terrorists one by one in an attempt to save the 74 hostages, his daughter and grandchildren.

After executing the CEO of the Klaxon building, Mr. Rivers, Gruber and the terrorists proceed to steal documents that will publicly expose the Klaxon corporation's dealings with Chile's junta. They also intend to deprive Klaxon of the proceeds of the corrupt deal of $6,000,000 in cash by attempting to access a safe. Leland intersects with this plan by stealing explosives and progressively killing terrorists and receiving multiple injuries in the process.

Leland kills most of the terrorists and despite no help from the police, faces off with the leader of the terrorist group, Anton Gruber who is holding his daughter hostage. Gruber falls to his death after being shot by Leland. Blaming Klaxon for the terrorist attack, Leland throws the cash out of the window himself. Once Leland is back on the street the last terrorist, Karl, who was presumed dead earlier, returns and starts a shooting rampage, killing police and a doctor in the process, before Sgt Powell finally kills him allowing Leyland to receive medical care.