Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I watched Predator 2 yesterday. Best movie about LA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Move over, Mariya Takeuchi

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

I started watching Brand New Cherry Flavor on Netflix and it's fuckin weird, i guess I was expecting a much less straightforward story based on the description of the series Netflix gave. If you liked "Under The Silver Lake" I'd say give it a try because it scratches a very similar itch.

I thought it's like a Bret Easton Ellis-esque portrayal of LA, and was looking forward to other episodes (after watching the first one). But then it got more mystical and magical, and I noped out halfway through. Also I love Silver Lake, but think it's way more grounded, like an american take on Nouvelle Vague and Fellini films.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Started watching 'Fall of the House of Usher'. Holy crap that is really well made. Every episode a nod to a different Poe story. Really clever. But holy hell Mark Hamill - I feel like watching a performance from some 1980s italian scifi-pulp flick.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Started to watch the new Fargo but noped out after ten minutes, probably gonna skip.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
How is Poker Face? I just read it's the new film from the Knives Out guy.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
What are current trending hipster magazines on style and art? 20 years ago I occasionally bought ID, I don't even know if that still exists. Nowadays I go for New York Magazine and Juxtapoz, but there's got to be more.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Has "Obliterated" been mentioned in this thread before? I caught it on Hasan's stream yesterday, and it looks like the best tv show ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MNfBHFhnNs

The main character is called Chad McKnight.

e: oh yeah it's not satire. It's full blown jingoism.

busalover has issued a correction as of 12:46 on Dec 4, 2023

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Open Source Idiom posted:

I checked out the first two episodes in and yeah it's not very CSPAM at all. The scene where the All American leader dude goes from promising not to torture a terrorist to violent insanity just by having Born In The USA explained to him was pretty good though.

What i thought was interesting about the show is how much of the review discourse focused on dick and puke jokes like it was an essentially bad thing to feature bawdy, broad humour. A lot of the Variety review focused on how the premise should have been "elevated" by featuring more "satire" and fewer rear end shots -- as if the only kind of satire is sober minded.

I'm not saying Obliterated shouldn't have been more mocking, it would absolutely have made it a better show. It's no Lexx. However it adds more fuel to my theory that "elevated genre" discourse is about taking undecorous genre stuff and making it all more shiny and middle class.

Yeah, I'm currently watching it. It's for people who like CoD cut-scenes, but don't want to play a game. Meh.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I finished God Emperor of Dune two months ago, and... eugh. He talked like the redditor with the most karma, I was just begging anyone to shut him up. Not sure if I'll continue with the series.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

veepfake posted:

when john lennon publicly talked and sang about beating women and actively spent years working through his anger in therapy, i thought: what a hypocritical weasel singing about love and beating women, i bet he loved beating people up, he should know better like i do

what john lennon song is about beating women?

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
What's the consensus on Euphoria? I watched the first episode last week, and initially thought it's kinda interesting, but then the therapy session dragged on and on and I lost interest. Didn't even finish it. Does the season get better or is that basically it?

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I just watched the first five episodes of the Body Problem, I think this was the first show where I clickly switched to 2x playback speed and left it at that. With subtitles no problem, quite enjoyable.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Are there any "completely written by AI" shows in the pipeline? As in the marketing makes it a center-piece that it's generated by AI, and is proud of it.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I'm guessing Elon is Rosa Parks in this situation, because he's sitting behind the couch?

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

loquacius posted:

It was the loving monster on the plane episode

the idea that there are invisible monsters lurking around to kill people, and the concept of suddenly being aware of one and nobody believing you, really messed up my tiny mind

Yeah I just watched that one scene where he looks out the window, and it scared me forever. A couple years ago someone made Shadow in the Cloud with Chloe Moretz, it's a fun spin on that.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

indigi posted:

I know this isn't the car thread but all the touchscreen bullshit in cars sucks so bad. touchscreens are awful for any application besides entertainment

I like how Elon sold cost-cutting as futurism.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

i say swears online posted:

i liked the nanofiber scene

that's where I stopped watching.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
A decade ago there was this young director (in his teens?) that got hyped for being the next big indie thing. I believe he's a gay french-canadian? Anyway I recently thought about finally checking him out, but forgot what he's called.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
I asked ChatGPT

quote:

The director you're referring to is likely Xavier Dolan. He gained significant attention in the indie film scene in his late teens with his debut film "I Killed My Mother" (2009), which he directed at the age of 19. Dolan is indeed gay and hails from Quebec, Canada. He has since gained further acclaim for films such as "Mommy" (2014), "Tom at the Farm" (2013), and "Heartbeats" (2010), among others. His distinct visual style and storytelling have made him a notable figure in contemporary cinema.

It's probably him.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
"Maniac" was written for "Maniac"? Holy poo poo.

e: don't mean this in a facetious way, I'm genuinely surprised.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Kurt Cobain died 30 years ago today

https://www.instagram.com/p/C5YfN2YrBwM/?igsh=MTAycDFkYWN1dnZwNg==

e: there's no instagram embed oh wait

Frances Bean Cobain, his daughter posted:

30 years ago my dad’s life ended. The 2nd & 3rd photo capture the last time we were together while he was still alive. His mom Wendy would often press my hands to her cheeks & say, with a lulling sadness, “you have his hands”. She would breathe them in as if it were her only chance to hold him just a little bit closer, frozen in time. I hope she’s holding his hands wherever they are. In the last 30 years my ideas around loss have been in a continuous state of metamorphosing. The biggest lesson learned through grieving for almost as long as I’ve been conscious, is that it serves a purpose. The duality of life & death, pain & joy, yin & yang, need to exist along side each other or none of this would have any meaning. It is the impermanent nature of human existence which throws us into the depths of our most authentic lives. As It turns out, there is no greater motivation for leaning into loving awareness than knowing everything ends.

I wish I could’ve known my Dad. I wish I knew the cadence of his voice, how he liked his coffee or the way it felt to be tucked in after a bedtime story. I always wondered if he would’ve caught tadpoles with me during the muggy Washington summers, or if he smelled of Camel Lights & strawberry nesquik (his favorites, I’ve been told). But there is also deep wisdom being on an expedited path to understanding how precious life is. He gifted me a lesson in death that can only come through the LIVED experience of losing someone. It’s the gift of knowing for certain, when we love ourselves & those around us with compassion, with openness, with grace, the more meaningful our time here inherently becomes.

Kurt wrote me a letter before I was born. The last line of it reads, “wherever you go or wherever I go, I will always be with you.” He kept this promise because he is present in so many ways. Whether it’s by hearing a song or through the hands we share, in those moments I get to spend a little time with my dad & he feels transcendent. ✨

To anyone who has wondered what it would’ve looked like to live along side the people they have lost, I’m holding you in my thoughts today. The meaning of our grief is the same

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

I watched 3 Body Problem which I thought was bad but watched all of it. Now watching The Gentleman which is bad in a different way and I'm probably gonna watch all of it.

Is this like Saltburn?

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Danann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bUEV3fVaAM

suddenly ace combat in this science fiction movie

I've never heard of this. Looks like videogame cutscenes minus the videogame.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Does the show have supermutants?

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

scary ghost dog posted:

hmm is it anything like the famous book “a canticle for liebowitz”

no

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Oh there's a show about Foundation? Hmm.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Nichael posted:

Foundation just makes it obvious that all shows should cast Lee Pace.

Oooh, I really liked him in Halt and Catch Fire.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

tristeham posted:

been reading robert coover's the public burning. good stuff. i think it would interest the c-spam hivemind

interesting, thank you

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

If you want the really good insane Mel Gibson anecdotes, you gotta read Heaven and Mel by Joe Eszterhas, his tell-all about the time they tried to make a movie about the Maccabees together

Edit: some highlights https://www.thedailybeast.com/17-craziest-bits-from-joe-eszterhas-ebook-about-mel-gibson-heaven-and-mel

gently caress yeah that's the kind of trash I want

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Nah his movies have a unique depressing vibe I haven't experienced anywhere else. Also weird humoristic elements that pop up out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Apparently The Fall Guy is not doing so well.

Guardian posted:

Blunt, stunts and Gosling: how did The Fall Guy flop – and what does that mean for cinema?

Summer’s would-be blockbuster has hit a brick wall – did it simply typify everything the public hate about Hollywood or does it belie broader box office blight?
https://www.theguardian.com/film/article/2024/may/10/blunt-gosling-the-fall-guy-box-office-flop-cinema

I don't know who this movie was targeted at. I'm an old and I have zero interest in the setup. The leads are too old, should have been people in their twenties. Why would I watch this crap?