Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Help Kdramas are making me racist in different ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Fauci in the MCU when?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Fauci in the DCEU when?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
So I don't get it. Is the Fauci documentary the worst reviewed MCU property ever?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Communist Thoughts posted:

That's not the true crime podcast my partner listens to but the one she does is these two American women going "ohmigawd, I love her glasses they're like SO cute. She looks like, a real 90s kid you know?
Anyway her body was never found but her 6 year old brother did find her severed head in their pool and killed himself"

Is this the Redscarepod?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Bro Dad posted:

lmao they made kumail goku

Big win for desis everywhere.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Are you guys talking about bone tomahawk? I thought it was cool.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Superman is joining extinction rebellion now?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Mameluke posted:

whenever something like this shows primordial neolithic people as living in rags in a flat barren wasteland (because those are the few non-builtup, non-recognizable landscapes left on earth to film in) i just think about our sliding perceptions of nature and how obviously a landscape like we see here is hostile to human life

Apparently this is supposed to take place in mesopotemia. You know the place known as the Fertile Crescent.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Suleman posted:

I think the story is that if they meddle in human affairs that much, an omnipotent
intergalactic space god comes and passes judgement, destroying everything. But now they're coming anyway.

Should have passed that debt ceiling bill sooner.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Some Guy TT posted:

oh anybody who likes cool south korean action poo poo but isnt a big fan of the capitalist discourse stuff should probably check out my name on netflix which just dropped yesterday its a pretty straightforward gangster story where the lead chick joins her dads gang to avenge him becomes a cop mole when she finds out he was merced by a cop and just beats the poo poo out of people

Sorry I only watch historical kdramas where the japanese character looks like tokio kid.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

vyelkin posted:

K-wave making Korean pop culture in general really popular overseas (first in other parts of Asia and now just everywhere) combined with streaming (Netflix especially) picking up a bunch of Korean shows for dirt cheap a while back and making them available globally as part of their efforts at global expansion means first a bunch of people getting mildly interested in Korean culture and then those people having limitless access to an enormous amount of Korean culture through services they already subscribe to. I know a group of friends who got really into K-dramas basically just because one of them recommended one to the others, they all watched it on Netflix and loved it, and now they're each on like their 50th K-drama. Parasite was a milestone for critical recognition and Squid Game is another milestone because it's the first big breakthrough for content that Netflix made itself rather than just buying the global rights for something made by a Korean TV channel, but neither one is a big turning point

Netflix also plays a large part. Kdramas became the thing among my cohort back in India with the pandemic with things like CLOY. Its really striking given that Kpop was well known for a while but Kdramas mostly were a niche subculture thing. They still are but that niche has grown considerably larger. This goes without saying that Squid game blows everything out of the water in terms of word of mouth.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Judakel posted:

why does the guy have fingerguns tho

Desis desperately need to be acknowledged as cool.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

MeatwadIsGod posted:

"Witnesses reported that the prop master was a 6'4" bald man with a barcode tattoo and ill-fitting clothes. He is alleged to have told the assistant director that the upcoming scene was 'to die for' prior to leaving the area."

Agent 47 did it again!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

So he is an IT exec who drops spaghetti around babyjirls?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Judakel posted:

excuse kumail is pakistani... so he is NOT babyjirls

Pakistanis are north indians desperately pretending not to be. Understandable really.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

HootTheOwl posted:

Wow, such erasure of Kashmir

Half the population of Pakistan is Punjabi. Essentially the same stock of louts that roam Delhi

drat, Captain Pakistan real?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

looksmaxxing

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Nichael posted:

I haven't been as excited for a Marvel movie as much as I am for Eternals. It's pretty compelling watching it flame out.

Don't get your hopes up.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Kingo did bollywood style hip hop and was disowned by his parents for not going to cram school

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Blood Boils posted:

Dunc was p decent but Villeneuve is a coward for refusing to say the words "jihad" "Idaho" and "piss"

The bad guy's mentat says Duncan Idaho

StashAugustine posted:

dune kicks rear end

Hell yeah brother. Loved the Sardaukar planet. Its gonna stay buried in my brain for all time.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah man of steel was neat. The fighting was cool and the music was nice.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Trabisnikof posted:

the CIA had creative control over meet the fockers lol

Not many people know this, but meet the fockers was the final version of MKULTRA

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Some Guy TT posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Variety/status/1452770252757078025

uhhh isnt amazon literally making a silmarillion show as we speak

LEAVE THE SILMARILLION ALONE

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sygANDEHDec

time to get your own kingo

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I mean, the majority of people currently writing for WH40k, let alone consuming it, DO take it dead seriously and DO think the Emperor was fully justified, so...

40k is about getting either

>big tiddy Sister of Battle GF
>big tiddy Eldar GF
>big tiddy Tau GF

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Pls let Dune kill this lovely movie. Kingo and crew should be on that sardaukar planet being exsanguinated.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

When leto atrides bit the poison capsule, Piter should have said "Uh oh, Stinky"

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Some Guy TT posted:

nomadland is anticapitalist in the same way squid game is if thats what you define as interesting

So not at all? Garbage tier kdramas like city hunter end with a factory being directly purchased by the workers.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Dreylad posted:

our immigration system also tends to handpick people who are wealthy and have an advanced education, so you're effectively pulling in wealthy people who don't want what wealth they've scraped together taxed or their childrens' future impacted by costly social programs.

That and the Indian subcontinent has a cheap supply of labor so getting a maid or something isn't an expensive class signifier like it is in the US. Buying a car is an expensive class signifier. Americans are a prosperous people because both the husband and wife have their own car and the space to park it.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Are we at the
>if you don't like this movie you are a bigot
level of discourse regarding Eternals?

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Yeah watching Star Wars way later I never got the boba fett hype. He was always just an elevated mook. Guess pop culture moved at a glacial pace pre internet.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Jokes aside Disney could very easily make it happen. The Mouse is one of the largest producers in Bollywood.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Judakel posted:

south korea is so intensely hypercapitalist that they're just ahead of the curve of packaging anticapitalism and selling it

Yep. Kdramas show things like union negotiations and strikes. The protagonist is always some PMC wannabe tho.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Wow citizens of a state want it to exist.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

I am become death, deployer of quips

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Good soup! posted:

from the comments:

lmao

TES lore has always been cooler than expected

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
I just think he makes cool fight sequences and is a rare hollywood non-sicko.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
Rewatched dune in the theater. The pretty explosions were a perfect fit for Diwali.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

HootTheOwl posted:

Snyder is the guy who made all those CGI backgrounds and gritty overlays before the technology was ready and it made them all appear off putting.
It's not toxic, but it kinda made me sick.

Eh they were more stylized than anything particularly gritty. Rounder Geiger Krypton for instance.