Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I think it's worth pointing out that 300 is a story being told by an unreliable narrator who exaggerates poo poo to get the greeks to join the war effort. It's literally a storyteller lying to the audience. And death of the author and all, but Zack himself has said multiple times you're not supposed to relate to the spartans. You know, the group that chucks babies off cliffs if they are "deformed".

Just tossing that out there!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

i'm taking the double-contrarian position that 300 is a pro iraq war movie because it wants to make the spartans the badguys

It's certainly possible to see the Persians as the US equivalent and the Spartans as the plucky taliban freedom fighters. In fact Zizek had the same idea.

Atrocious Joe posted:

I'm pretty sure it happened because I shitposted that Snyder's films are better than the MCU

the power of his films is that a single post can destroy a thread

This actually happens way more often than one would think.

Serf posted:

300 can be read as a satire, sure. but after seeing it in the theater one of my friends, an army ranger, walked out saying that he couldn't wait to go back to iraq to "kill some more hajis"

Did your army ranger friend also get the urge to parade in briefs and a red cape together with his army vet buddies?

That's a rhetorical question. We all know army guys are super homoerotic, I assume that's just a regular evening thing

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

As I recall, a lot of people missed that STT was satire when it first came out and was treated as a regular fare sci fi. It was only after a couple of years people caught on to it being satirical.

Of course, I might be wrong, since I was pretty young back then, but that's the impression I got.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Hodgepodge posted:

my favorite bit is how janek and the other bridge crew dude seem all weird and forced in their cheerfulness when they're about to ram the juggernaut and it turns out that's because the studio forced them to have a big heroic sacrifice scene and they're absolutely being sarcastic as hell about it

I never heard about this, do you have any source on it, because that sounds hilarious

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

nerds getting hollywood to make another superhero movie is a victory for organising

Unironically yes. Bunch of people wanted something, unofficially banded together with no real leadership and started a grass root action to achieve their goals. If some big shot execs felt bullied, all the better.

Equeen posted:

the black power fist but it's cyborg's arm cannon

not an emptyquote

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Was the Snyder cut supposed to be one of the allures of HBO Max sub? It's cost them 70 million at this point lmfao.

I mean, people that hate him will watch it just to dunk on him, and his fans will watch it because they've got great taste in movies, and the resulting clashes on social media and think pieces and youtube video essays will be free marketing for the film and streaming service. it's win win for HBO really.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

side_burned posted:

Counter point Snyder is a fascist.

Case in point, I guess

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Loveshaft posted:

When he wanted to adapt The Fountainhead.

So did Steven Spielberg. Is he a Randian too?

Loveshaft posted:

Go back to the Snyder cult quarantine thread in CineD.

See what I mean by how defensive they get?

I mean, when people say dumb poo poo on a public forum they get called out on it, that's how it works :shrug:

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Tubgoat posted:

Maybe? You pretty much have to be to want to make it into a film after reading it.

Yeah I'm sure it being about an artist that refuses to compromise on his vision has absolutely nothing to do with why people in an industry infamous for interfering with peoples creative works has nothing to do with it.

Loveshaft posted:

He’s neoliberal, which is close enough.

Lol

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Lindsey ellis tore out bob's heart and stomped on it in front of him a few weeks ago, that was pretty entertaining

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

KomradeX posted:

So I stand by the assertion that the only people who want to adapt Rand's dogshit books are the cultists that think she's right

That's a pretty dumb assertion hth

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Low Desert Punk posted:

could you explain what other possible reason one would want to adapt The Fountainhead as a passion project, a novel every human being on Earth not belonging to the Ayn Rand Institute agrees is absolute dogshit

Now why would a director who constantly had his films meddled with (to their detriment) by film executives obsessed with profit be interested in a book that goes on and on about artistic integrity and not accepting compromises in their art? :thunk:

It's doubly stupid because his Superman is a dude who spent his entire life running around helping people and ends up sacrificing his life for others, which last I checked is kind of frowned upon in the philosophy (and i use that word loosely) of "enlightened self interest"

The whole "Zack Snyder is an objectivist" nonsense was started by sex pest Devin Faraci, and is worth about as much as he is.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

babypolis posted:

my criticism is that his movies suck and are bad. if my very complete review of snyders ouvre offends you, please go back to CD

As far as criticisms go that's certainly concise

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Farm Frenzy posted:

imagine someone in this forum writing this post about literally any other millionaire entertainment industry figure who loves the works of ayn rand lol. you should be ashamed of yourself

no u

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

you have 438 posts in the snyderdome

Are you still angry you got threadbanned because someone showed up with screenshots of you defending pedos?

Edit: Actually this was wrong. He was victimblaming the victims of pedos, entirely different. Still scum though

McCloud has issued a correction as of 15:08 on Mar 26, 2021

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Zhulik posted:

would love to get in on some movie dome, but not the kind where you talk about justins league

How do you feel about the prequels/sequels?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Zhulik posted:

prequels to what? im talking about Top, brother

There's a star wars prequel dome and a sequel dome to quarantine Star Wars chat. It uh...works sometimes, I guess!?

MonsieurChoc posted:

Every time someone posts the acronym ZSJL, I can't help but think of the Zodiac Job System version of FFXII instead.

I liked FFXII, but I wasn't too fond of the job system. FF5 and 7 had the best ones, imo.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/brookstweetz/status/1379439156368191488?s=19

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

World War Mammories posted:

lmao, I ain't seen any of this, what the gently caress is "the boob faceplant scene"

DesertIslandHermit posted:

The Flash falls and lands facefirst into Wonder Woman's chest.

It's bad.

Take a look for yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_tdWKp41fw&t=83s

Oh, sorry that's my bad, that was the boobfall scene from Age of Ultron. Here's the Josstice League one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tISURN8pQv4&t=45s

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Harry Potter, Jurassic Park and Avatar

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Bro Dad posted:

best captain america is in spider-man: life story

So sad to see disney give in to sjw propaganda and depict the brave and noble freedom fighting US soldiers as willing to murder children smh

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean is that stuff really any meaningful difference from superhero crossovers except with the brand names involved, done right it's loving rad

Like the whole deal with superhero settings is one big collision of genres, sci-fi meets fantasy meets noir meets martial arts etc etc. Basically why Mortal Kombat works.

It's why BvS is so good, it's pure comic book craziness. Not many directors who'd put Mad Max Batman in their film

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Speaking of comic book craziness, finally caught up to doom patrol, and it rocks, go watch it

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

indigi posted:

BvS is fun as hell and insane paranoid murderer Batman is the only realistic take on the character. also Jessie Eisenberg made a fantastic Lex Luthor

e: also the scene at the end where Batman takes the warehouse is one of the best action sequences in any superhero movie

It's funny that if WB had their way the movie would have been even more dark and grim and that Chris Terrio was pushing back on the darker stuff, with help from Zack

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Stairmaster posted:

it do be cool when batman kills all those dudes tho

It's doubly cool because nerds got super mad over it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Superman’s reaction shot after batman asks him if he bleeds is one of the funniest jokes in superhero film history

For me it's the jar of piss. Just perfect

Hodgepodge posted:

it's okay to not like synder cape flicks

there's only one superhero movie you aren't allowed to hate

you come at the Blade, you get cut

How do you feel about blades 2 through 3

Stairmaster posted:

the more judakel posts the more i grow to like the syndercut

I put him on ignore a long time ago, is he saying anything worth reconsidering that policy?

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

indigi posted:

I’m kind of glad he didn’t get to make the sequels cause reading what he wanted to do in them it’s mainly.... boring. also he planned for Lois and Bruce have an affair, that’s just a fundamental misunderstanding of the kind of stories you’re supposed to tell with these characters

also it’s weird to have Superman be dead for 3/4 hours in the first movie then have him be evil for 75% of the sequels. like c’mon that’s boring we want to see Superman be super

The Cucking of Superman was an early draft and they changed their minds about that later on, but technically it wasn't an affair, as I recall they met while Superman was dead, and Superman chooses to adopt Bruce's son after Bruce sacrifices himself to save Lois, kinda coming full circle after he was adopted by the Kents. I think they ultimately realized how it didn't really work though, and chucked the idea out

McCloud has issued a correction as of 07:24 on Apr 15, 2021

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Am i too late to chime in that B5 is awesome and you should definitely watch it. The first seaso starts a bit rough but it quickly picks up steam by season 2, it's great, watch it. I think it's available on HBO?

Stairmaster posted:

And he's bald

Well that's just uncalled for

Re Lindsey Ellis, if she'd just said "my bad" and apologized instead of coming up with excuses as to why it's good, actually, to be an rear end about every single time she's been wrong then everyone would have forgotten about it. Also good job undoing the only goos thing she did the past 6 months which was crush cinema roberto.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Dreylad posted:

that's not how the internet or twitter works and anyone who thinks this is insanely naive

You're right, making a smug 2 hour video explaining how everyone else is wrong is way preferable

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

BvS owns because instead of having the superheroes buddy CIA agent murder black people it instead blows his brains out

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

The parts of Mortal Kombat that didn't involve Cole were good. The parts that did involve cole were bad. Unfortunately that accounts for like a third of the film

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Fleetwood posted:

something gross about Army of the Dead is that Snyder tries to make it look like the zombies are organizing a new rational society based on rape? forced assimilation?

involuntarily becoming a zombie and then getting impregnated by an undead corpse is not a mistakes-into-miracles situation

Are we seriously calling the zombification thing rape now?

In the film there's one zombie lady that's clearly into one zombie dude, the implication being they hosed and had a zombie baby. Consentual zombie sex isn't rape. Gross, maybe, but not rape.

KomradeX posted:

Go gently caress yourself I was literally talking about the RLM review you illiterate scumbag

No, you were talking about the movie using the RLM review as a proxy, which is lame.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

There's an implication that the chief zombie holds female humans prisoner until he has time to zombie kill them and have sex with them , it's unclear on the order of operations there

There's no other way to interpret zombie baby + captive women to be cohesive.

Frankly I think it isn't supposed to be cohesive and that Snyder thinks zombie babies are cool and has the alive captives as a plot device and there's no need to think it through further

No, there is in fact no such implication. There was a single zombie lady that was pregnant, and she and the lead zombie were clearly infatuated with each other. There is no indication any other zombie ladies are pregnant, or that the lead zombie is having sex with them, other than the one you yourself inferred. The blond french lady mentions that they hold people prisoners, and tells about the time a male was kept prisoner in the exact same way, so unless you think they were saving him for some zombie gangrape, your inferrence doesn't hold out.

babypolis posted:

snyder explicitly said it was zombie rape in an interview. in the movie it doesnt really come across well enough because the script is a mess

This is what Snyder explicitly said

"I believe that some zombie love happened, some sweet zombie lovemaking,” he said. “I don’t know if it was sweet. It was probably pretty aggressive.” Snyder added that the zombie baby was proof that the alphas are evolving beyond the need for humans as meat or fodder to create more alphas."

That's the literal quote. What you got out of that is that it was Zombie rape, which is a leap to say the least, and outright counter to what he says

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Fleetwood posted:

Snyder is saying that after being kidnapped and forced to become zombie it's ok to get hosed by the zombie that turned you, how is that not rape

Because the Zombie is still its own person. It didn't get hosed against their will.

The Zombies are sentient, aware and formed their own society. Unless you're arguing that the zombie process itself is rape then that doesn't apply.

Also again, the kidnapped people didn't get hosed. There is only one person who we know had zombie sex, and that person was turned during the events at the opening of the film

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

babypolis posted:

https://www.cinemablend.com/new/Details-Zack-Snyder-Army-Dead-Reveal-Rapey-Zombies-27174.html

"There's an extra dimension to this zombie film, because they…. they…. I'm still wondering if I should tell this…. the male zombies rape human females. Yes. And they have human hybrid zombie offsprings. It's a new take on the zombie genre, which is crazy."

snyder didnt say that tho, its the director. so my bad there. but the point still stands

PUBLISHED: OCT. 5. 2011 10:50 PM

Also, that's not the director saying it. The director is Zack Snyder. That was the previous director of the film. Meanwhile the interview i posted was from 2 days ago. So no, your point doesn't stand at all. It's lying dead on the ground, with no legs.

Edit: Beaten

McCloud has issued a correction as of 00:23 on May 27, 2021

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

StashAugustine posted:

Does being undead cause problematic age gaps

A 1000 year old zombie doing the nasty with a 100 year old zombie is absolutely a problem attic

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Gives a new meaning to the second coming i suppose

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Mr Hootington posted:

Wow! Go back to CD. There are 3 or 4 of you who search all of SA to just post about Zach Snyder. Just deranged poo poo.

I think you got a persecution complex, you should get that lookes at

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

indigi posted:

Deep Blue Sea loving rules, Cliffhanger kinda rules, Long Kiss Goodnight rules. Renny Harlin is Good
you can poo poo on him all you want who’s stopping you

It's me, I'm holding him back with my psychic abilities while I'm holding my fingers to my temple all Xavier like

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Dr. Killjoy posted:

superhero parapolitics would be a fun spin on the concept, shame only really Garth Ennis has touched on it to uh varying effect

lol

indigi posted:

the problem is that society would be so radically different with superheroes that we can't actually process it, you can just make lovely guesses at the margins. it's like asking a bonobo to imagine what their community would be like if their alpha female's cerebral cortex was bigger. like if Superman revealed himself to exist today everything would be absolute chaos within a year and the geopolitical equilibrium would be completely upended, and that's just one dude

And will that one dude be a Dr manhattan type that happily fights a war for their government or is he the aloof liberal Superman who "catches us if we fall" but otherwise stays out of politics etc etc

Like, even just a genius inventing a basically limitless source of renewable energy would change the world entirely from the ground up in just a few years

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

tulsa riots in watchmen has to be one of the better woke bait moves in recent memory especially considering it had almost nothing to do with the actual story

To be fair it apparently educated half of America about the Tulsa bombings so that alone made it worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Tariq was also the shithead that posted a videothat went viral of a clerk at a hotel having a nervous breakdown

He's a shithead through and through