Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

CyberPingu posted:

Is it just me or are there a lot more QB retirements this year?

Nah this year is weird. Losing Luck, if we lose Cam that's honestly heartbreaking. Ben can gently caress off but also may not play again. It will only accelerate from here for that generation of QB, but Luck and Cam are way too young which means it's out of the ordinary

Looks like the word came from on high (Gettleman/the owner) to start Daniel Jones. They're only playing the Bucs so it isn't an awful game to start him in but he still might have trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Kalli posted:

Their previous GM was a tire fire who severely overpaid for a bad cornerback who had great interception numbers because Aaron Donald would cause QB's to piss themselves and throw prayer balls.

Similarly to the Patriots, the Rams really seem to let the right guys go. Or at least, the guys they let go seem to look a lot worse elsewhere

Kalli posted:

I think we should talk about how the Buffalo Bills have a smart plan. Regardless of what you think about Josh Allen, they've definitely put good pieces in place around him, and hired a smart defensive coach who's got that team playing well.

That's right folks, there's TWO good teams in the AFC BEAST.

There's one good team and one mediocre 2-0 team. But you're right, a lot of people liked what they did this offseason and that has been borne out early. To me the biggest change by far is that their offensive line is performing well in both the pass and the run game. It was a disaster last year so Beane and McDermott deserve credit for what they've done with it in only one offseason. Combined with picking up some receiving options and Josh Allen playing a little better in year 2 they're looking relatively solid.

They've only played bad teams so far though, which continues until week 4 vs. the Pats

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Simplex posted:

This is carryover from the last thread, but to me the Dolphins actions resemble a team where the new head coach wants to establish that it's his way or the highway. Not a team that's intentionally tanking for better draft picks. The Dolphins have a Top 10 pick at quarterback on their roster. He's currently on the bench behind a garbage journeyman.

Teams looking to build for the future don't trade away young, talented players on their rookie contracts. Those pieces are the building blocks for your future. You get rid of all the expensive vets who may have value to other teams in the league.

Yeah their "plan", if that's truly what it is, is not impressive. They're going to be just as bad next year, you can't just put a few high draft picks on a team and assume you'll be good, it doesn't work like that. You can't just press the reset button, building a team happens gradually over the course of years and is a process of trial and error. Personally I don't think it's gonna work like they hope

Play
Apr 25, 2006

mastershakeman posted:

Rosen appears to be worse but I wonder if Miami would take Mitch for him with no picks included

I would take Rosen over Trubs for sure. Trubs just isn't good, with Rosen there's at least a chance of some decent passing performances coupled with the great defense could win them some games. Basically, we know what Trubs is but Rosen still has some room to grow

Play
Apr 25, 2006

hifi posted:

trubisky has another year on his contract plus an option year, they could pick up rosen and not piss trubisky off too much and figure out which one they want.

do they do that? probably not.

That would be as good as admitting defeat with regards to Trubisky, which would reflect poorly on the current administration

Play
Apr 25, 2006

a bunch of lovely teams are gonna accrue decent win totals this year because nearly the entire nfl is garbage

Play
Apr 25, 2006

OxySnake posted:

The Patriots have been to the last two superbowls and are going to now go for a 4th time

the nfl as a whole seems like garbage right now. I'm not gonna lie, week 2 seriously shook my faith in this sport being worth my attention and time

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The league has been in a really poo poo spot for a while with maybe 3 QB's coming up during the literal decades of performance of the early 2k's QB's. Now 1 retired and the other looks not far behind him. All the old men are hitting the wall except Brady with not even a handful of replacement talents ready. It's REALLY highlighting just what a hard position it is to play on top of the parity problem.

Offensive lineman are also garbage. I really think this may have something to do with the poor offensive starts teams have managed; only the teams with the best O lines and O line coaches have been doing okay. The rest of them seemingly can't hold up against pass rush to save their lives

But yeah, this past year was really a golden age in terms of every team having a QB for themselves, with a mix of the old and the new guard. The old guy have already started dropping off though and there simply isn't enough talent to replace them adequately.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

It's funny that no one else other then Belichick has countered this by shifting defenses past 15 seconds

I've always thought defenses are way too static in that way. Like, if you run up to blitz but the quarterback doesn't snap it and clearly adjust the protections, why not refrain from blitzing that down to confuse them further? Why isn't the defense responding more actively to what they see from the offense? They're only allowed to do what the called play tells them to do which is a bit limiting imo

Also, if I was a quarterback I'd do the exact same thing. Let some guy sitting up in the booth who can see everything check it out and decide the best play to run. The less things I have to think about the better

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ehud posted:

Most people expect it to go like this:

play caller gives the QB the play

QB gives the play to the team and the huddle breaks

QB gets to the line of scrimmage and reads the defense and makes the necessary adjustments

That tweet is claiming that Goff isn't doing that final step and instead just relies on McVay to do it for him

I've seen him do checks well after the 15 second time limit, not that I think he's the sharpest tool in the shed but if you get to the line fast there's absolutely no reason to not have it handled by someone else, given how many things a quarterback needs to be thinking about before the play

For some reason I always feel compelled to defend Jared Goff. I think I need to talk to my therapist about that

Play
Apr 25, 2006

? what are you confuse about

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Watson and Mahomes look like the first QBs that will stick since Russell Wilson in 2012. Everyone else I'd dead or questionable

Yep, and the pickings have been real slim in some of those years.

2013: EJ Manuel, Geno Smith, Mike Glennon... the worst QB draft in history maybe

2014: Teddy Bridgewater, Johnny Manziel, Aaron Murray, AJ McCarron, Zach Mettenberger, Blake Bortles, Derek Carr, Tom Savage... several of these guys I only know from the AAF and they're all terrible besides Carr who is mediocre

2015: Jameis Winston, Marcus Mariota, Brett Hundley, a bunch of nobodies... the results speak for themselves here, Hundley's been traded around teams, Mariota and Winston have been kept for lack of better options and because they are on their rookie deals. Never going to be more than mediocre

2016: Wentz, Goff, Dak, Brissett. Some decent options here, nothing amazing but overall an uptick

So that's a period of four years during which only three guys have been awarded new deals as franchise quarterback, and they all came from 2016. When it takes that long to get a single franchise quarterback for a single team, no surprise we're running low now that the olds are dying

quote:

Rivers: Bound for the Hall of Fame (of loving)

It's called the Hall of F . . . . . . . ucking

Play
Apr 25, 2006

fsif posted:

Maybe some pedantry on my part here, but "some decent options here" strikes me as quite the undersell.

Maybe you're right, but given Wentz's injury history, Goff's seeming dependency on McVay's scheme and Dak's quarterback play leading up to this season, it's a little early to proclaim anything. That being said, all three of those guys have received or are about to receive new contracts, putting them on a higher level than anyone else in all those years I covered

Kalli posted:

Thought experiment: 32 Patrick Mahomes, each assigned to a team, or 32 Andy Reids, each assigned to a team. Which results in better offensive play?

Mahomes. I believe he could succeed to a certain level no matter what team he was on. Andy is a great play caller but we saw in the Alex Smith years that even he can't force a mediocre quarterback to win playoff games. Meanwhile, put Mahomes on the Bills (for example) and they're a playoff team right away, maybe even better

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strobe posted:

Maaaaaybe one of those losses was even partially Alex Smith's fault, dude (home vs. Pittsburgh). The rest he scored 44 points and then everyone on offense except him and the shambling animated corpse of Dwayne Bowe died; the magnum opus of the Andy Reid Clock Management Experience; and Mariota2Mariota where fate would not be denied (also: forward progress my rear end).

Smith was not the problem in those games.

Okay, so then responsibility falls to Reid as the head coach and the overall point (that Mahomes would bring more to most teams than Reid) stands

It's a pretty dumb hypothetical though. Unless anyone ACTUALLY has access to an illegal chinese cloning vat, in which case I'd say Mahomes deserves to be first in line among all humans

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strobe posted:

Even then, the loss against the Patriots is the only one I'd characterize as Andy's fault. How do you coach your way out of "Andrew Luck FUMBLE recovered by Andrew Luck for a TOUCHDOWN" and "Marcus Mariota pass short left to <who cares>, deflected, caught by Marcus Mariota for a TOUCHDOWN".

I'm not particularly superstitious but the inevitability of those plays working against all odds was loving heartbreaking.

He employed the wrong people to run his defenses because he's a kindhearted, loyal person. I thought that was understood on some level. Sure you can't stop the deflected pass maybe, but you can make a stop on the touchdown drives immediately preceding and following. Hell it's not a stretch to say that they very well may have won the super bowl last year if he had moved on from Sutton a bit earlier.

I can't believe I'm condemning a guy for being loyal and kind-hearted, but this is what football does to me

Play
Apr 25, 2006

never heard of ol "Pickett Fence"? man's a legend in the game. not a great safety though, most guys just step right over

:dadjoke:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

pasaluki posted:

Sorry, but a nice, soft feature story trying to generate sympathy doesn't suddenly change the fact that it was still such an all time bitch move.

He couldn't even face his teammates, and actually drove away from the field at halftime, and wasnt even injured.

I'm glad he found Jesus or enlightenment and now feels that running away was the best decision ever, but I never will have any respect for him.

who loving cares what he did or didn't do. turns out he's the one to make decisions in his own life, I actually respect him more for refusing to follow whatever dumbass social conventions get between a guy doing what's best for him. Clear that it was brewing for a while, he gave back the money so how about don't call a guy a bitch who's faced and accomplished things you couldn't even dream of and put his mind and body on the line the entire way. Personally I don't see how it matters where or how he left, Buffalo just had the bad luck to pick him up at a weird time in his career when the injuries were piling up and he was doubting whether he actually wanted to keep doing it

Play
Apr 25, 2006

JiUC posted:

Can someone explain the purpose of scripted plays? Isn't it objectively worse to deny yourself any flexibility?

Scripted plays are meant to take advantage of specific weaknesses in scheme and personnel that the coaching staff have been able to identify. They're also made to identify certain consistencies in the opposing defense or to set up other plays later in the contest. Best case scenario they result in big plays early that are perfectly suited to the opposing defense, and set up big plays late by showing certain formations and certain plays and then subverting that information later.

Theoretically, no series of plays should be LITERALLY scripted, rather it's a set of plays that they want to run early in order to gain information, set up the defense for later or take advantage of tendencies. In some ways an entire game is scripted, because OCs will always have plans going in on what they want to accomplish and will adapt those plans to the situation.

I don't think separating play success by first 15 vs all the rest is actually a useful metric, like someone mentioned it's more just someone trying to get hits on their twitter or whatever.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

FizFashizzle posted:

kyle allen tore up the saints last year and you are all about to loving witness

it almost doesn't need to be said. After what ive seen so far this year I have significantly more confidence in Kyle Allen than I would have if they were trotting cam out there again

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Cavauro posted:

I'm glad that player spit in that one guy's face

that was a figure of speech, cavauro. which is lucky. i'm a fan and i dont want spit in my face thats gross!

Android Apocalypse posted:

It's kind of cool but not likely to help opponents in-game.

Maybe at halftime if teams start employing ciphers to crack codes, or later in seasons if the same words keep showing up.

Belichik's probably been doing that and things very similar to that for years, helped along by the rest of the league thinking "oh it's not a big deal, no one would actually DO that"

Diva Cupcake posted:

The Jets beat hand-wringing over Trumaine Johnson getting benched is so dumb. He's legitimately terrible and was vastly outplayed by a guy they just traded a 6th for like a week ago.

He should be benched and released at the earliest opportunity.

well they paid him a lot of money, so that's a really unfortunate result that justifies some hand-wringing

Play fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 19, 2019

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Diva Cupcake posted:

The people who paid Trumaine Johnson a lot of money are either unemployed or are the current DC of the Bucs.

That's somewhat relevant, but my position stands

Play
Apr 25, 2006

is it any surprise the magic is gone? that's the world we live in, left with a fitz and nothing more

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Mystic Stylez posted:

I'm glad Antonio Brown is friends with Eric B. of Eric B & Rakim, I was wondering what he was up to these days

harassing women and kids at the word of his "boss" AB?

thats depressing to even think about

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

They were expecting him to be cut op.

or at the very least benched. it's funny when people act like it's absurd to expect a person to have morals

Tiny Tubesteak Tom posted:

Bill has never once in his life announced that a player has been cut during a weekly press conference. You'd have to be an idiot to expect him to start today.

He didn't even confirm that AB would be playing on Sunday like he did last week, either. All he said was "He's on our roster right now."

it's true, you'd really have to be a complete idiot to expect the tiniest shred of human decency from bill belichik

Play
Apr 25, 2006

btw FOH means gently caress outta here as in 'gently caress outta here clown'

Play
Apr 25, 2006

now im just picturing your dad just texting you 'FOH clown' every time you try to get in touch lol

Apparently Shad Khan said that he would be willing to make Ramsey the highest paid CB in the league if Ramsey would stay:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001056815/article/jags-owner-willing-to-make-ramsey-highestpaid-cb

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

Khan needs to take charge and get rid of Coughlin and Marrone and reboot the front office

That would be pretty epic if a player actually managed to get a GM fired by requesting a trade because of him

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Intruder posted:

Coughlin is the executive vice president, not the GM

Really should make him even easier to get rid of

huh. it's weird he's in the news so much, you don't usually here a ton about 'executive vice presidents" of other teams

regardless though I agree. If you consider who has brought the team more success on the field, Ramsey or Coughlin, the answer seems pretty clear. I thought he should've been fired the day after Bortles got extended for 54 million dollars, that poo poo was inexcusable

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Vengarr posted:

How the gently caress do you play WR with fingers like that? There's gotta be some way to fix that.

at the very least you'd want some custom gloves. extremely custom

Play
Apr 25, 2006

lol at Jimmy G living at the top of the standings from his "explosive plays" that were all screens or coverage busts

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Good. A bit late but still earlier than I was expecting

"Things didn't work out with the Patriots" lol, as if it was some mutual breakup where neither side is to blame

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Hot Diggity! posted:

This has been a good day in this thread what with Play's completely unnecessary explaining of "foh", someone not knowing how feet look on other races, and Antonio Brown getting released

listen im the proud papa of TWO tff thread names. just cause one of my babies is developmentally disabled doesn't mean I love him any less

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I guarantee you that Jon is telling Jay it's a terrible idea, Jay is telling Bruce it's a terrible idea, and Bruce is telling Dan it's a wonderful idea.

all washington needs to do is UNLEASH THE DWAYNE anyways

Play
Apr 25, 2006

sweet thursday posted:

Bill Belichick: Well AB it's time to C your way out of this organization

rAB

Play
Apr 25, 2006

No Butt Stuff posted:

Friendship over here

:3:

FOH clown. balloon animals for everyone!!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

i love how he's gone from complaining about being mistaken for Brown to enthusiastically stirring the poo poo as hard as he can

Play
Apr 25, 2006

They're blitzing all the time though, so a lot of that pressure comes from sacrificing coverage, and they've given up some very big plays because of it

Shinjobi posted:

https://twitter.com/GehlkenNFL/status/1175518002181214208?s=20

I kinda at a loss for this one. I guess he's just supposed to fall towards the QB but not touch him? I think I'm more irritated about the fine than I am the flag, though.

He needs to not launch himself at the side of Keenum's knee? What he should've done there is chase after him to make a proper tackle, not launch himself horizontally towards Keenums lower legs. What happened is he saw Keenum getting away and about to unload the ball so he made a dumb desperation move to try to get the sack, which is exactly what they don't want you doing

AB sounding more and more like Donald Trump lol

:byewhore:

This dude looks legit. I hadn't really heard much about him during the draft and looking at it he only had 284 yards his last year in college. He looks the part though, big and fast and strong

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Last time the Pats started 3-0 they lost to the Bills in week 4. They play the Bills next week.

The ATNFL podcast was saying that the Bills actually had a chance to win, I think that's going way too far. They were barely able to put away Cincinnati last week and have had three cupcake matchups in a row. It would be awesome if it happened but the chance is like 5% or less imo

:laffo:

Play
Apr 25, 2006

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Probably thinking that it’s been like 7-8 seconds and even a complete buffoon would have gotten rid of the ball by then

Yeah, it seems like the pass rushers pulling back also made them think the ball had been thrown when it hadn't. Still very bad form, you play to the whistle you silly ducks!!

Play
Apr 25, 2006

it would be very chargers to somehow lose that game

purposefully giving the ball to the other team . . . interesting strategy

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I still think Washington might win if they can simply put up 20+ points. The Bears will never score more than that, it's literally impossible

Play
Apr 25, 2006

seiferguy posted:

What made him a 3rd round talent? I never saw the story on him.

sack numbers for his final year in college, I believe. That's what really got his name up there; obviously such numbers can be very deceiving based on a number of other factors including temperament

Surprisingly, Baltimore actually has them beat in total yards per game this season

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

OneMoreTime posted:

I don't want to alarm anyone but Frank Gore is only like 350 yards away from being #3 all time in rushing yards. And he's somehow getting like 60 yards a game.

Frank Lore

because he's... legendary