Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

northwestern appears to be Real Bad, can't wait for them to rattle off a bunch of really dumb unexpected wins in the big ten west and gently caress up some team that really should have known better

We have a name dickhead

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

. Kansas is much improved under Les Miles and it was on the road after a huge win for Kansas.

they lost to costal carolina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

tactlessbastard posted:

ND was floppin'

A tradition like no other

http://www.espn.com/college-football/features/the100?index=29

(This post is in tribute to my Grandpa a wonderful man who was mad about this game until the day he died and made sure to bring it up every single time someone mentioned Notre Dame in his presence)

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Iowa moved up more after a bye than they did after beating ISU lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Declan MacManus posted:

usc is below utah because??

transitive loss because of byu

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Liquid Communism posted:

Might have something to do with ISU going 72-20 over UL Monroe, who were coming off losing by 1 to Florida State in OT. Makes Iowa's win look better in retrospect.

Shoulda beat Iowa as well, but the offense failed to capitalize early on and special teams screwed the pooch at the end.

lol

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
UCF is starting a true freshman QB who was third string going into the year. They're just rebuilding a bit. At this point it seems safe to say that beating the poo poo out of Stanford said a lot more about the current state of Stanford's program than it did about them

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

dirty shrimp money posted:

Speaking of northern California what's up with Cal all of a sudden?

They have a legit very good defense but also Ole Miss is really bad

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They're really bad in the middle of the defense, to the point that they were screwing around with a FB at DT for a bit, which went about as well as expected. Turns out that's bad when you play option teams and Wisconsin!

On offense yeah, for all the hands off talk in the offseason it still looks a lot more like Harbaugh's offense than what Penn State and Bama were doing when Gattis was there, and I don't think Patterson is actually as good as his recruiting ranking (also he might be hurt?). They have really good receivers and should be taking tons of deep shots but that hasn't happened much

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Liquid Communism posted:

Lol all you want, Iowa played like rear end against ISU for what they think is a top 15 team.

lol

https://twitter.com/HawkeyeFootball/status/1173060358304493570?s=19

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1176207804593582081?s=19

2020 Oklahoma starter/Heisman winner

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/Joseph_Duarte/status/1176244602745040896?s=19

Punting on the whole dang season 4 games in, I respect it

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Komet posted:

Gattis was a receiver coach at Penn State, and while he was really good at that and a great recruiter, it isn't clear why he should have moved up to co-OC at Alabama and OC at Michigan. Just because he was around while Joe Moorhead was OC doesn't necessarily make him Joe Moorhead. I mean, we seem to be seeing a drop off at OC at Penn State. So in that sense, it was a big risk for Michigan to upgrade him to OC without a longer stint of being a coordinator elsewhere. The question is: would Harbaugh even allow a more experienced coordinator run the offense without meddling?

He had success every stop before this. The Bama offense was he co-OC for was one of the best in the country, someone hiring him to be full on OC is pretty natural. Working as a position coach for successful offenses is how people get OC jobs.

I don't really know that whatever is happening at Michigan is really his fault either, these seem like mostly the same problems that have existed there for awhile and as much as Harbaugh talked about turning over the keys there was never really any reason to believe him given his personality and his career to this point. They've had like five coordinators and it's been the same issue pretty much every year aside from the random half season where Jake Rudock went supernova

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 24, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DC Murderverse posted:

he says this now but wait until Oklahoma backs a big truck full of money up to his house and says "hey you want to come win a heisman?"

Yeah I don't think anyone should be surprised if he changes his mind between now and then and bolts for something bigger.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Komet posted:

Yeah, but Mike Locksley probably had more to do with this as the Bama OC.

Locksley looks like he might be the only person the Saban Coaching Rehab Program actually worked on but prior to last year he had been pretty lovely everywhere else at everything except recruiting

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Harbaugh has been disappointing relative to expectations but I don't know that firing him would accomplish a lot. They've still been mostly a good to very good team during his tenure and short of Urban Meyer, which can't happen for a bunch of reasons, I still don't really see anyone available who would be an obvious upgrade.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Really the big issue with Michigan is that they can't stop comparing themselves to OSU but OSU is coming off a stretch where they had one of the two most successful coaches on the last, like, 20 years and has a lot of natural recruiting advantages over Michigan on top of that.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

They should hire James Franklin, he actually beat Ohio St once

Look I already went through Ferentz to Michigan rumors once don't make me do it again.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rad Valtar posted:

The problem is I'm pretty sure that Michigan can find a coach for way less then $8 mil a year to go 9-3. You pay a guy that much and you better expect him to win something.

are you sure because the last time they tried this it was brady hoke

Also I don't think the Michigan football program is in much danger of losing money

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What recruiting advantages does OSU have over Michigan other than being better at football? Ohio and Michigan are functionally the exact same same state with the exact same issue no matter how one team spins it. Urbz could recruit a few extra florida players, I guess.

They're the only major conference program in a more populated state that has historically produced much more FBS talent

FizFashizzle posted:

Apparently the secret is to hold on to the best coordinators in college football, build the nicest facilities, and baptize players at midfield.

OU could have had that defense paired with Riley's offense and hosed it up to rehire Mike Stoops lol

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 24, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Bird in a Blender posted:

University of Iowa President threatening to cancel the Iowa/ISU game because of the band incident. I doubt that actually happens, but next year in Iowa may be ugly.

I wouldn't mind seeing it take a break for a year or two if only so Iowa could play someone new but it's not gonna happen, there is too much political pressure to keep it going.

Big fan of the Jamie Pollard press conference today where he once again made sure to point out that Iowa fans are mean too and then blamed the band for marching aggressively and using the wrong exit.

Spacemonkey57 posted:

You forgot that Ohio State pays everyone and has zero admission requirements for football players. Also their players are all a bunch of criminals on steroids and weed.

Michigan's players are only allowed to get high on the sense of self satisfaction you get from a "Michigan General Studies" license plate frame.

I wrote and then deleted a sentence about admission standards because who cares and also because I didn't want to encourage an awful AsInHowe post

Sab0921 posted:

From experience - it really sucks when your in state rivalry game is cancelled due to petty fights that no one cares about except a tiny number of highly influential people.

I dunno man I feel like some poor trombone player getting their ribs broken because a drunk goon was mad about the color of their shirt is maybe not great?

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Sep 24, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Sab0921 posted:

I thought there was no actual confirmation of assault, just rumors

I don't think there's like video or any charges filed but multiple band members and now Iowa have said that one of the band members suffered broken ribs

Spacemonkey57 posted:

They pay Venerables $2M per year and it looks like they have Co-OCs that make $1M a year each. If you don't have a massive ego I can understand being happy with that amount of money.

Also it's not like people are unaware that Veneables is good, he's had head coaching offers and doesn't seem interested. I'm sure there's a job out there he would take but it's going to need to be a really big one.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The police chief in the press conference today said the officers doing security for the band saw a "skirmish" and Iowa's list of allegations today mentions a confrontation between Iowa's band director and ISU facilities management about it so I guess I don't really believe that ISU was somehow totally unaware that anything happened even if they didn't have exact details.

It'd have been nice if one of the kids had filed a formal police report but they're kids who were dealing with a scary situation so I think just going to school authorities is pretty normal. They assumed it would be handled from there and of course that got hosed up because Iowa's athletic department is wildly incompetent.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Ann Arbor is very much a college town but it's a nice college town

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Seaniqua posted:

jfc this is ridiculous

You would think it would be really easy to just be like "safety of fans and representatives of the schools is very important to us, we are working with Iowa to investigate what happened and want to be sure there are no incidents in the future" and then leave it at that, but instead it must always be an opportunity to make sure you don't lose any Rivalry Points.

Like Gary Barta is wildly incompetent and should have been fired seven scandals ago but Pollard is basically a Cyclone Fanatic poster who also happens to have the ability to hold press conferences. And hey he's overseen maybe the strongest period for athletics they've ever had and seems to get their fanbase excited so I guess good for him, but some of that poo poo is so petty and dumb. Everyone in a position of authority here loving sucks

MourningView fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Sep 24, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I can't actually find what the tweet was but the Busch Light Sign Guy got milkshake duck'd by the Des Moines Register and had to issue an apology for some lovely racist tweets he made when he was 16, and now Anheuser Busch is cutting ties with him. They're still gonna make the donation to the hospital (total is over a million now) but I assume the special beer can and stuff are done now.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They didn't even actually report it yet, I guess someone just dug through all his tweets and then called him for comment when they found a bad one so he issued the (honestly pretty good and heartfelt) apology to get out ahead of it? It was a Tosh.0 reference, apparently lol. The world is very stupid.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DC Murderverse posted:

as someone who is perfectly happy to jump on racists and get them fired, this is real real dumb and i can't decide if the DMR is dumber for actually digging in and finding these tweets, or if Busch is dumber for preemptively dumping him before the public had any chance to react. There's a world of difference between, for example, a stand-up comedian who can't stop using slurs whenever they're on a podcast and a dude who posted a dumb Tosh.0 joke when they were 16.

on the somewhat bright side, he is apparently going to still be at the game on Saturday and this may spur on a whole new wave of spite-donations to the hospital.

if this is the thing that finally prompts people in this state to stop pretending that drinking one of the ten most popular beers in the country is an interesting personality quirk it would be a noble sacrifice

MourningView fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 25, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
If you wanted to be generous I guess you could say they wanted to make sure there wasn't anything lovely about the guy they were about to write a big glowing profile about? But even then it'd be pretty easy to just give him a chance to delete it, I don't think anyone would have had any idea given how long ago it was. It suspect it was mostly what Bird said though.

King has handled it super well. A lot of the worst people on the internet are currently trying to turn him into an icon for PC Police Run Amok or the dangers of cancel culture or whatever, but he owned it, acknowledged that the tweets were lovely and made an actual apology (as opposed to the standard "sorry if you were offended" non-apology) and talked about how much he's learned and grown since then.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Rice is somehow not even all that close to being the worst D1 team in Texas

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Seaniqua posted:

So, I'm really considering going to gameday. For people here who have done it, realistically how early would I have to get there if I want my sign to get on TV?

Like basically as early as they'll let you line up

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Still cops

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
first one seems fine

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

vyst posted:

USC feels like it would be a lowkey racist upper class fan base

Alumni/donor base is definitely this even among the ones that claim to be liberal because it's an expensive private school, fanbase as a whole is probably pretty left leaning relative to college football fandom generally because it's easily the most popular football team in the LA area.

Either way they'd be fine with Meyer because ultimately they just want the team to be good again.

MourningView fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 26, 2019

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Salt Lake City is really nice.

I also camped in Zion for a night this summer and it is extremely cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Liquid Communism posted:

So in Carson King news, Busch has been shamed into upholding their commitment to match donations through the end of Sept, total is at $1.9 million.

They were always going to make the donation, they're just not doing all the shirts and beer cans with his face of them anymore