Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
if this game is Bad i'm going to be Mad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
I'm going to be extremely mad if this game doesn't own.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

40bux on release is usually too steep for me but I'm pretty stoked.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Megazver posted:

Depends on the game. I don't really need sound when I'm relaxing with Civ IV or a Tropico game.

EDIT: Disco Elysium Review "Buy, Wait for Sale, Rent, Never Touch?" | ACG

He has 600k+ subs and he's telling his followers it's Torment good, so that's good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-HPqErucFk

is this strange feeling... hope?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

buglord posted:

So uh, how much is this gonna cost? Needa know if I should pack lunches this week to save on $.

40bux if there's not like a 10% release week discount

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

frajaq posted:

whew just read the detail that time only passes when you're at dialogue (be with people/items/your own skills/environment)

good, now I feel I don't have to rush around the map

yessss

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

babypolis posted:

i feel like im going to speed an entire evening just figuring my character build tomorrow. i cant loving wait

the one thing I feel might be a misstep is making your two health bars specific-skill-dependent

going 1 on psyche and/or phys is a dangerous decision

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

download

faster

:mad:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

pokie posted:

4224 is probably classic detective start.

I'm starting 4422 to be a SOCIAL detective.

and opening up my second playthrough to be a Motorics/Shivers meathead

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Accordion Man posted:

Top selling game on Steam right now.

hopefully it stays that way for a bit, but that's pleasing nonetheless

edit download complete here we gooooo

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 15, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

:toot: my first quest

Task: find your other shoe

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

Attn nerds: If you like me decide to recreate your character but don't completely exit the game, some flags will get cocked up and you won't be able to pick The Shoe. To fix this, you have to exit the game completely before creating a new character if you've already picked up The Shoe on your current character.

i knew they'd miss a fatally gamebreaking bug

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s so great when you don’t and decide to roll the dice on some long shot and it works, like when my pencil necked Art Cop managed to go toe-to-toe with a 6 and a half foot tattooed racist. I had like a 12 percent chance to pull that one off.

I did a 3% check on a presumably harmless object to see what the failure result was and accidentally succeeded. :v:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

remember, if you're about to attempt a difficult physical feat, remove your shoes and pants

and maybe consider doing that in the game as well

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

just had a softlock after the (day 1-2 spoilers) damaged ledger note event

my pardner finished talking to me and I never got a prompt to close the conversation

so it's a really good idea to have a couple manual saves, but you also need to resist savescumming skill checks

blizzardvizard posted:

This game can't download fast enough

Also how terrible of an idea is it to dump Motorics to 1 because I feel like they appeal to me the least personally

psyche and phys are the less-safe stats to set to 1 because they give you your health bars; you heal when you sleep (in a bed) and also from some events, but that doesn't matter if you have 1 health out of a maximum of 1 and are thus entirely reliant on heal items auto-rescuing you from death

otoh you can get the health bars up to 2 by tossing in a skill point, which is slightly less than 1/6 as valuable as a stat point, so

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Oct 16, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Jon Joe posted:

Listen to the voices in your head. What do they tell you? It could be real, if you are only willing to believe.

my necktie agrees with this post

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

I get the impression that you'll learn things and have a fun rollercoaster even if you're bad at pursuing the case.

I also get the impression that any stat combination has a good shot at the case, just through different routes. This may not apply to any skill combination, mind you. :v: I'd actually do the goofball first, so you don't consciously / subconsciously know some of the ways to get evidence without advice/skillchecks from doing things reasonably correctly on a competent trying-to-be-competent detective.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

sean10mm posted:

Yeah but I constantly fail at things and run out. :v:

Having 2 endurance instead of 1 really takes the edge off.

I suspect the ceiling fan is going to, statistically, be the deadliest killer in the game.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Quicksilver6 posted:

There's a really, REALLY hard conceptualization check you can do with the company rep lady on the boat that reveals more of the world and the nature of the Pale. I could have sworn the game was going to go full Cosmic Horror after that conversation, but no.

Failing that check is fine. You get a really excellent Thought that is worth beelining for right off the bat in your second playthrough, and when you finish internalizing it you can go pass the check and learn about the Pale.

Spoiler about the first bit of the first spoiler: It gives a boost to max perception, which is fine, and 1xp per little bubble you click, which is b o n k e r s if you get it early enough

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Oct 16, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

beats posted:

I don't think it railroads you into that at all -- I went out of my way to avoid most of that stuff just to see what happens and now I'm really curious what a playthrough looks like without high Shivers, Perception or even Half-Light. I guess the great thing about there being no need for separate 'combat' skills is that all the skills are used constantly...everywhere. I wouldn't be suprised if you miss just as much stuff by dumping FYS/MOT as you do with low INT/PSY. It seems like you can just do whatever and you'll have a good time.

I suspect he was joking and delivering a sneaky compliment to this insane game.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Davincie posted:

can i up my max motorics somehow?

Thoughts often increase skill or skilltype maxes.

Which ones? Guess you're gonna have to go find out!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

itry posted:

Look at the skills themselves and their syngergies. The category level only limits how many times you can train the skills you find important for your type of detective.

And you get a point at a constant rate of 100 exp points. And there are ways to raise the caps.

tbf each stat point is also functionally six skill points, insofar as it's a point in each of its skills

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Mordecai posted:

+1 starting and max I think? It seems to be better on your lowest attributes.

Sleep, or maybe a bench.

I don't think it gives a bonus to max?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

LGD posted:

it definitely gives a bonus to max for that skill and every other skill in the same category

Oh, maybe that's what threw me. Sweet!

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

someone in this thread said they beat it in 15 hours, and I have no idea how they did that, because 15 hours in I'm on round 2.

Dependent in large part on reading speed, I suspect.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Throne of Bhalz posted:

I just bought this game. It's incredible.

Did you succumb to fan death?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Oxxidation posted:

that first night on the balcony, my skills were all quietly impressed at his cigarette-smoking routine, especially when he insisted he didn't care about looking cool

> Lol he totally does care
> Just one cigarette a night? It'd be easier to quit.
> He's proud of the ritual
> He's cool and in control

Kim is the actual protagonist.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Fellatio del Toro posted:

just started the game, tried to get my tie off of a moving fan, immediately died of a heart attack and had to start a new game, 10/10

I'm reasonably confident that the fan and the lightswitch have the highest killcount in the game by a wide margin.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Finally got around to finishing up my (first) playthrough.

Was worried that the game wouldn't stick the landing, but it did.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Eau de MacGowan posted:

oh god i really shouldnt have shaved

the only decision that is truly unforgivable

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Manic_Misanthrope posted:

Just found that drat traffic hooligan on the third day.

I'm the drat traffic hooligan

I think that might be my favorite scene in the game.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

I kept dying in one of the encounters until I realized that even if you are on your last HP, you can click the healing button after dropping to zero, as long as the screen isn't completely black yet.

The healing button flashes loudly as the screen slowly goes black, and at least the first time it happens EVERYBODY stares serenely at it without clicking until they die.

including me

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Infinite Karma posted:

The best sequel would be Joyce losing her grip on time sailing through the Pale and waking up on some other place with amnesia, and not knowing where her boat is or why she's there. As she figures out that she's working her fixer mojo in this new place, she decides if she's going to pull the company line or work towards something better, and also find her loving boat to get off this wretched place. Basically Tyranny but Disco.

I never imagined this possibility but I am so in.

also fits devastatingly well with a revelation about the Pale and Revachol's isola that's apparently skippable

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 20, 2019

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

multijoe posted:

4/5, not quite enough tragic sad cop energy

1/5, no necktie

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

UP AND ADAM posted:

I clapped, I clapped whenever they said the thing about Disco Elysium in dialogue.

I'm frankly not sure why they give you multiple options to name the club.

Maybe to make you feel happier about picking the right one.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Dreylad posted:

It took me two weeks after playing the game to to get "Gary, the Cryptofascist"

oh my god

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

the thread's latest necktie revelation :stare:

what a great game

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Rosalind posted:

Question I was pondering last night: is there any character in this game you would consider a good person and why?

kim and titus are both making a good solid go of being Good Cops

the two ladies in the fishing village seem p decent

the phasmid

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's never really unpacked but maybe racism isn't the reason 57 doesn't respect Kim, it's because he can't drive halfway across town in the time it takes other cops to show up, mostly solve a case, violently melt down their entire lives and undergo a drug-induced egodeath

tbf harry is very efficient

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

The Void is imo IPL's best game (or at least was before the pathologic remake?), and was probably my contender for best game-as-art before, well, this one blew it out of the water.