Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
People mention that shivers check a lot, but aren't there also a bunch of other mandatory checks throughout, like the rhetoric check during the back and forth between Klasse and Titus to convince him he's being manipulated

On parts that made me tear up, discovering the dice maker in the cursed business district was so oddly beautiful and sad that it got to me. Shifting through all that failed ambition was pretty compelling

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Harry's political beliefs are so surface level that it's not hard for the game to reconcile the fact that your always looking to get paid while also threatening to kill anyone with more than 25 real in their pocket.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
On the subject of ideology at the end of the game the Phasmid implored Harry to get over Dora 'for the working class' before pointing out that it was never going to work: she was middle class. Does this change depending on your chosen ideology?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
The detective hat is cool and all, but the only way for HDB to face the dangers of modern detecting and maintain the respect of the youth is head to toe in FALNtm sports gear.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Arrhythmia posted:

Yeah. "You can only get dressed once in the morning" would have made the game perfect.

but then i cant put on these jeans that make my arse look great on immedialty after taking them out of the bin

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
The best part of clothing was people reacting to it; (ending spoilers) Harry's reaction to being told about his past as a gym teacher being to exclaim that the revalation explained his incessent collection of sportswear was a highlight.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Half-light gets it right when it matters most.

The moment when empathy and half-light disagree on whether you could get the mercenaries to back down or not at the tribunal, with empathy conceding that there was no chance of a peaceful resolution was pretty chilling. Tonnes of RPGs undermine their climatic moments by having a clear best outcome that you can get by doing XYZ and preventing conflict; not only can it undermine the conflict itself, but it marks any of the other outcomes as sub-optimal and so less worthwhile. I like that DE makes the point that you can't talk down a fascist death squad.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I like the voice for the noid, it feels like a tribute to Rik Nial in the young ones

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Doc Hawkins posted:

is there really no way to "learn" that Edward is actually Edgar? it seems like it should matter.

I dont think it's ever confirmed either way, I guess it's supposed to be a little mystery.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Hustle-grinding hard enough (asking Joyce for cash) to pay my own hotel bill on the first night was one of my prouder moments.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Played the demo for that disco-like that got reccomend upthread, Clam Man 2. It's very much wearing its influences on its sleve, and while it doesn't nail the heights of DE it still manages to be pretty charming.

I'll probably buy the whole game when it comes out, and I'm very much excited for more games coming out that take their cues from DE.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
lookin pretty sick in that FALN gear my dude

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Yeah I figured it was part really not wanting attention to be drawn to her, part panicked instinct.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
It is interesting how many gameplay conveniences (running constantly, constant questioning, ect.) Are very smoothly contextualized within the narrative of the game. Even the U.I design being a list of options for conversations is called out in a manner that feels like it speaks to the character of HDB.

It's the kind of thing that usually wouldn't land as well in other games, and I wonder how the sequel will deal with following a similar design with a different character.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
If they're going to have the skills as characters, they'd have to scrap or combine a lot of them. I reckon the base game could of benefited from combining a few of the skills in Physique and Motorics that had a lot of overlap, leaving them with less to say.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Avalerion posted:

I enjoyed it just fine save scumming. I actually think the game would have been better without the rng, just binary skill checks.

I think the rng is alright in most places, it allows for some surprises when you ace a check that didn't have much of a chance at, and vice versa. Most failures are still pretty fun, so its not so bad when things go wrong.

There are two times when I think the system does the game a disservice, and they're right next to each other towards the end of the game;the check to dodge being shot at the end of the mercenary tribunal, and the following authority check to warn kim. In the former case the roll is a guaranteed fail, and its attempting to drive home the inevitability of HDB getting shot (you cannot, in fact, dodge bullets despite how much you might want to). However, this point was already demonstrated more successfully in the unopenable door earlier on, all the dodging check does is encourage people to try and savescum through the entire tribunal.

On the latter check, I rolled snake eyes on a 97% chance and Kim got shot, and that sucked.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
On the otherhand, if you mainline speed and anti-radiation drugs like a maniac you get a pretty great conversation with Kim about why you do it and wether it makes you a better cop (it does).

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Maybe you could go a bit off the wall and just have each player representing a skill in a single character's fractured psyche, with control rotating as each skill comes to the fore.

You could probably hack "everyone is john" quite easily to get it to work

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jul 14, 2020

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, I really like Evrart's:

Mostly red but with a splash of liberal yellow.

This is nicked from a really good set of observations upthread on the various portrait backgrounds, but Evart shares the bifurcated red and white backgrounds shared by all members of the union (as seen in the measurehead portrait) except instead of white on top of red, Evart's is reversed, with the red on top of white.

This can be indicative of a bunch of things, from Evart's postion at the top of the union food chain, to his subversion of its social democratic beliefs to his own ends. Even the red itself looks like an unevenly painted cover that's peeling to reveal his cynical/Ultraliberal beliefs

Also noted is how Evart's own presence crowds out his union affiliation; his personality dominates the organisation.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jul 30, 2020

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The portrait colours are carefully thought out, but I need convincing that they're supposed to be tied up neatly into political ideologies. It doesn't line up at all, even with a cursory glance.

I'd say the clearest throughline here is with the union members portraits, although your right in that its not a style that they've committed to in every portrait.

I wish I had a better grasp of art so I could pick up on more of the subtle stuff. One thing that sticks out to me is that the mercenaries have these large blocks of colours floating up off them. It always felt to me as giving the portraits a sort of transitory nature. This speaks to both their jobs, but also to part of their essential nature; none of them are truly living in the moment of the mercenary tribunal. As a group they are mired in their past trauma of acting as a tool for imperialism.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

dead gay comedy forums posted:

also, this might be interesting: looking at the portraits put together, all homosexual/queer characters have a measure of purple of them, most explicitly the man on the balcony then Ruby and Glen. Again, this could be a motif, more possibly if unconsciously so; the portrait artists might not even had the full details of each character as well, so it is hard to say for certain.

Noticeably, Kim's portrait lacks any kind of purple, furthering the question of whether it was an intentional motif

Tias posted:

Any advice on how to get the most out of a casual playthrough?

I would say that one of the game's weaknesses is how it keeps track of tasks, but in terms of taking it chill, I'd say the best way would be to invest in skills you like and take the failures as they come.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

chaosapiant posted:

I’m a bit fan of having missable stuff in games and wish more games had the stones to do it. I like to replay games quite a bit and that gives incentive.

I agree with most of this, but DE feels like such a well put together story that missing the Phasmid conversation, which feels like the culmination of the various themes of the game and its final statement on them, seems like it would detract a lot from the experience.

Its a really interesting tool that games have available, to be able to remove and obfuscate certain parts of its text, but I'm not sure if it can be used effectivley in all works of game media.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

paradoxGentleman posted:

Wait, wait, Ruby is queer? And so is Glen? And... Kim, maybe? Where are you folks getting this?

For the 2nd: certain passive skill checks while talking with the Hardie boys make it clear that Glen's leering at the Gardener is overcompensation due to his fear of being viewed as less masculine due to his sexuality, even if the rest of his mates don't really care. Additionally I think Titus calls him a 'homo' while mourning him post tribunal, but I may be misremembering.

For the third its pretty clear by how flustered HDB is by the smoker on the balcony that he's attracted to him, but is completely failing to handle it due to his own conception of his sexuality and masculinity. Kim has a good laugh at this struggle, but if you internalise the related thought you can ask if he's gay. He's clearly annoyed by the line of questioning, but says yes.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

:five:

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I'm more of a "gently caress the World" man myself

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
HUB'S facism is interesting, because it can read like all of his politics, in that it stems directly from his breakup with Dora. Revachol is ruined, not due to any systemic reasons, but because of his bitterness over their failed relationship. A fascist Harry reads as someone attempting to push his own emotional pain onto others, through virulent misogyny and racism.

The rest of post blackout Harrier's politics can be understood through a similar lens. The communist seeks to blame the failure of the relationship on systemic issues; the working and middle class could never co-exist peacefully. At the same time it provides an outlet for Harry's anger at Dora though his invectives against her entire political class.

I'll admit my arguement becomes thinner in the case of Ultraliberal and Moralist HDB. I'd suppose that both point towards his hopes and anxieties towards the futile prospect of salvaging the relationship. In the Ultraliberal case, it represents both the manic dream that things could work out, if only more work was put in, along with the dream that once they were materially comfortable enough, the issues within the relationship would evaporate.

The Moralist mode of thought is the dream that maintaining a poisonous status quo will lead to an eventual Utopia; if only Harry and Dora were to stay together then things would work out, despite the apparent issues within the relationship.

I'm not sure if this stuff leads into Disco Elysium's broader thoughts on politics, but I do think HDB's personal political commitments do speak to his broader character, as contradictory, ill-considered, and transient as they may be.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Getting into the harbour was okay to fail at, as there's a few separate options to deal with the issue. Same with failing to get the corpse down, as its early on in the game so there's plenty of immediate distractions.

The worst white checks are the series of back and forths between Hardie and Klassje. I think there's like 4 or 5 checks in a row, passing them are the only way to advance the story, and they have you returning to the same few spots with a few of the passes not necessarily revealing anything immediately important. To add to that most of the new content is probably on the farside of the map on the coast line.

Maybe I'm biased because I failed them a bunch, but they felt like the biggest drag. It'd be better if you had a few more ways of progressing.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Most significantly, he idolises an isola he's only ever heard about over the radio.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Judging by the last couple of paragraphs it seems like he didn't have enough Esprit de Corps to get the hints that something big is going to go off in Revachol, which fair enough. But it still feels like there's a massive disconnect between the writers feelings and my own experience on both the Phasmid scene and the broader discussion on sincerity.

Brushing off the HARDCORE kids in a single sentence feels especially brash; you have a bunch of characters set up to be easy targets of contempt, and their aim of setting up a nightclub/druglab isn't exactly a noble commitment. But the game goes to great lengths to demonstrate their enthusiasm for dance music as incredibly worthwhile, to the point that its helping to save Revachol, if only in a small way

Like, Disco Elysium has a rather large questline in which youth music is helping to save the world. I dunno what's more could be more sincere then that.

Vagabong fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Sep 3, 2020

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

chaosapiant posted:

Has anyone done a maximum alcoholic/piss-Kim-off/rear end in a top hat cop? I can’t bring myself to do it, but want to play the game again.

If you do a lot of speed and anti-radiation drugs you get to have a pretty great conversation with Kim about whether they actually make you a super-cop.

dead gay comedy forums posted:

therefore Art Cop is the opposite of Apocalypse Cop and Conceptualization becomes very important lol

Disco Elysium is a game that loves art, especially as a means for truly expressing the self, and I do think that attitude filters into the games politics in a way thay could come across as intensly sceptical if you don't buy into its belief in hope.

Communism is often portrayed in incredibly romantic terms; it's 'girl-child revolution', it's Joyce's pining to have been alive during the momentous turn of the century, it's one of the games striking final images that often gets overlooked: the massive graffiti stating "ONE DAY I WILL RETURN TO YOUR SIDE" The other ideologies don't get much of a look-in on this front; Moralism especially is the cool expression of rationality, and the Wompty-Dompty Dom Centre is the only art that receives nothing but bile.

This romantic attitude can be taken both ways. If you think Elysium is the cynics game, then Left-wing politics are the romantic but unachievable utopian notions that enchant wide-eyed idealists with a false hope that leads to countless atrocities.

However, if you believe in the game's sincerity it becomes a much more positive depiction. Just like the rest of the game's art, Communism becomes another opportunity for honest self expression and human connection, the work towards a radically different society a worthwhile and meaningful act even if it fails.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Haven't the lead writers been living in England for a few years now?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Desdinova posted:

To the guy who posted about the only thing that fights back the Pale was Art, was this mentioned in the game?

I don't remember the exact wording, but i'm pretty certain that its supposed that the church nightclub has some chance of preventing the spread of the Pale from the hole inside the church. Fighting back was probably too optimistic wording, its not like its a solved problem, but a thin glimmer of hope is a lot more than anything else given in regards to the Pale.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Is there any reason why they decided to make Revachol very French?

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Samovar posted:

You evidently didn't pay attention to Kim making the shot...

One of the best lines/moments in the game.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I do think part of the decision was driven by a genuine
enjoyment of cop shows. I don't remember where I heard this, but really early on in development the aim was to be very much a buddy cop kinda game and have the duo of Mclain and Torson be the focus.

I think after the commercial failure of the first novel in the setting the idea was to create something a broader audience would be interested in, and they landed on the cop show style as a way to draw people in.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
It would be incredibly cool if there was the opportunity to concoct a completely incoherent Fifth Way ideology

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Elaborate please? I know some of that but every?

I think the most significant is the main menu screen being Martinaise from the Deserters perspective

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Half-Light is correct a grand total of one time in the entire game, but its when it counts.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Why should I, Raphael Ambrosious Costeau, apologise for the actions of this harry fellow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
I figured some of the investigative hints empire drops could be stuff Harry intuited during his pre-game bender in Martinaise.