Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Unfortunately I think people are going to circle the wagons around Biden now since its tied to the impeachment attempt, which isn't good for the election

Although the impeachment is, god willing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

evilweasel posted:

if i had to bet, i would bet that he instead immediately moves it to a vote and doesn't let the senate debate the impeachment at all, rather than just refusing to do anything

however, there is one constitutional quirk that i have not seen discussed anywhere (doesn't mean it hasn't, I just have not seen it): under the constitution, during an impeachment trial, mitch may not be in charge

now, that means that Justice Roberts replaces Pence as presiding officer of the Senate (rather than Mitch, who is not an officer identified by the Constitution) but i wonder to what extent that means that Justice Roberts is now in charge of how the trial happens

Holy poo poo that's an interesting thought. If Roberts deliberately and openly tanks this thing in the senate you can move against the legitimacy of the conservative SCOTUS as well

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

All the Democrat/adjacent pundits and panelists I've seen this morning are parroting the "we need to laser focus on this specific thing only" strategy :smith:

Anything broader and some of their people might get caught up in the festivities

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

evilweasel posted:

basically, a lot of the other criminality requires some digging and the trump admin is tying that digging up in the courts, but they've got all they need on ukraine

That is an utterly idiotic idea, like how in the gently caress. Did these guys learn a single goddamn lesson from Russiagate?

You have 6 house committees digging up poo poo right now. 6. Why don't use use all of them to stretch the GOP's defenses, and then uncover a plan B, C, and D in case the Ukraine thing falls though like Russia did?

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 25, 2019

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

ummel posted:

Sorry, external crisis. Think Cuban Missile.

Like that one time he threatened to bring down fire and fury on North Korea

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

There's a small handful of Fox News personalities who aren't complete boot lickers. Unsure if Napolitano is one of them.

Napolitano is one of the least bootlicky types on Fox, even if he is extremely conservative / libertarian.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Zophar posted:

I've spent all year glum that this lovely moron is untouchable and nothing matters so I'm just beside myself at the possibility that it could all come crashing down for him in a matter of days and it's entirely his own fault.

I don't want to hope at all still but you can tell whether something is happening by how the GOP and Trump react, and holy poo poo, they all seem really goddamn shook

I still don't think he is going down from this but its a body blow, and if it destables the republicans while firing up the dem base that's about the best we can hope for

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Sep 25, 2019

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Wooten posted:

This. Russia definitely has assets throughout the Ukrainian government.

Russia is at war with Ukraine so yeah I'm sure they got a lot of intel on what they are doing.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Is there anymore polling that indicates this? Because if so holy poo poo this might actually be the herald of the mattering

Of course there is still a long way to go, a lot more news cycles, and a lot more opportunities on both sides to gently caress things up so...

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

lol he dead

the wording of this question makes it slightly less of a slam dunk then it appears at first glance imo

Yeah the "if" in that does make things kind of invalid though. When pressed I'm guessing none of the republican respondents would say hes guilty.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Zotix posted:

I have to say, Drudge doesn't seem to be in the camp of defense of the president which I find a bit surprising. But on the other hand didn't Matt Drudge make his name on the coverage of Clinton's impeachment? So perhaps he is trying to appear impartial?

Guess he doesn't have marching orders yet? Drudge is almost Fox tier when it comes to setting the GOP talking points of the day. The only time he verges from the party line is to post cheesecake photos of Martin 'O Malley.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Angry_Ed posted:

I can't believe this loving milquetoast loser never heard of blueberries or blueberry syrup on pancakes. How utterly loving boring of a human being do you have to be do be surprised by this poo poo?

Its a propaganda deflection technique to buy time for the narrative to be established

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Don't doxx me

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

He's fat, has a poor diet, and has declining mental faculties and is old.

Imagine him 4 years from now. Even if he could run legally, (or illegally), I doubt he'd in any shape to.

The only two responsibilities he has are to appoint conservative justices to SCOTUS and rubber stamp whatever a GOP congress hands him. He can be an absolute vegetable but as long as he has the mental willpower to sign his own name on stuff the GOP will back him with their lives.

They can leave the ethnic cleansing to Stephen Miller.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

I agree with this generally, but keep in mind that this is a national poll. Around 30% support is probably the point where the Republican controlled areas that aren't completely loving insane are heavily in favor of impeachment. That might break off enough to make it work, while all of the other Republicans vote against to save themselves.

Nah its not even going to be that. If they attempt to impeach with only 30% republican support the other 70% would be very quickly showing up at their offices with their AR's to dissuade them of that

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

eke out posted:

they can subpoena anything they reasonably believe is related to their investigation(s) (this has no bearing on whether *we* actually see many of these documents, though, as there'd be very obvious arguments that anything that properly was kept confidential should remain that way)

and no matter what the nothing mattersers in this thread say, John Roberts is not going to overturn U.S. v. Nixon in an election year for the dying gasps of the Trump presidency, which he already obviously hates, and guaran-loving-tee that the Court gets packed.

Roberts could also see that the republicans will get a perma-majority and lock on political power if he backs Trump on this as well. From his decisions he already cares little about democratic institutions and this may be the golden opportunity to end them in favor of the GOP

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

The right has run the "most persecuted people in history" routine ever since Lincoln freed the slaves so thinking that we shouldn't impeach to prove their persecution is pretty lol, they will find something else to feel extremely persecuted about

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Scott Forstall posted:

20 point swing in the first week lmao he's fried

That's just the dems falling in line though -- its basically a straight party line poll. Its going to be really loving hard to continue to crack the mattering shield.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I really don’t understand. Trump withstood the fallout from the Mueller Report. He got away with it. It was over and people moved on. Why the gently caress is he directing an international conspiracy to... I don’t even know what about it?

I know he’s a raging dumbass but this seems beyond the pale.

Why did Nixon order thugs to break into Watergate when he won the election in a walk?

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Stickman posted:

I love how much we Americans overestimate the size of the statue of liberty. Probably some symbolism in that.

If poo poo happens I wonder how quickly Trump or the GOP president after Trump will tear it down

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

We are all loving dead

Like I have the steady realization that things are coming to a point and most likely I, and everyone I know, will be dead in a year and a half and the country embroiled in a war that makes Syria look like a silly slapfight

I really don't know if I can handle this anymore

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Unfortunately I understand that logic, because the rich will fight any cent of tax collection with a legion of lawyers. Doesn't make it right though

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Nonsense posted:

https://twitter.com/cassandrajar/status/1179512816623063040

They can keep their energy, I want none of that.

I believe in forgiveness, but in order to forgive there has to be some kind of redemption or change or anything.

The only thing that cop regrets is getting caught.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Paradoxish posted:

It's important to remember that he clearly does not understand what he's doing wrong. It's not even occurring to him that he's abusing his power or that there's anything inappropriate at all about telling foreign powers to investigate his political opponent. He doesn't get it. That's why he released the transcript. That's why he does poo poo like this.

He is wildly loving stupid. He doesn't understand how anything around him actually works.

He knows that he will get away with it, because he has never had to face a single consequence for his actions throughout his entire life. Maybe (hopefully...) this time its different, but that hasn't been proven yet.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Mahoning posted:

You're right. But it DOES matter in that its something Trump ran on and his people (at least pretended to) care about. It just makes it that much easier to run against Trump next year when you realize he hasn't fulfilled a single promise of his campaign and the only thing he has accomplished has been tax cuts for the rich. The MAJORITY of his base doesn't give a poo poo but there is a small subset that pulled the lever for Trump based on these promises and those votes may matter with how close the election was in PA, WI, and MI.

Not sure about that, because he also delivered 2 supreme court justices and the rounding up of undesirables on top of the tax cuts, and those count for a lot to those people

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

motoh posted:

It's the latter. Bookies don't have ideological blinders, and pollsters' unevolved practices are increasingly useless.

Not sure about that, because I think by and large everyone is keenly aware Trump won after seemingly all odds were against him, so even if he was down 11 points to the dem field on average (which some polls are showing) people are still gonna hedge on him staying in power

Predictit is such a case study on group psychology and sociology, I wish I had the chops to study that stuff more. It must be a real goldmine

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Angry_Ed posted:

Also there's the problem of trying to amend/rewrite the constitution when the GOP still exists as a political entity.

A constitutional convention would very quickly go all estates general and result in a revolution or civil war

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

bowser posted:

https://twitter.com/BryanDisagrees/status/1180220247531511808?s=19

https://twitter.com/jaredpolis/status/1179987708598349825?s=19

How are these people going to survive when the next Republican President(ial candidate) is just your run of the mill corrupt bigot that's incredibly boring compared to Trump?

They aren't going to be around for the next GOP candidate. Either Trump takes absolute power or they will die fighting for him.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

trump doesn't have the "backing" to go full king. you need the IC and the military and such to take full control. he doesn't have that. Barr won't save him because the career types will sell him and his boss out to save themselves.

I didn't say they would succeed. Only that they will try.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Pigbuster posted:

He might show a modicum of concern for the 100,000 Christians in the area, at least. The exact same people fundamentalists pull out every time they want to tell people how persecuted Christians are, and the great godly president is about to let them all be slaughtered.

Fundies believe that every other christian but themselves are going to hell though, and the only reason they feign concern for them is to score political points

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

So the military, the intelligence community, and the diplomatic community all loving hate Trump now, why hasn't he been dumped? What's keeping him in the Oval besides the GOP dumbass in the senate, who can't even defend these latest two dumbasseries?

The base would literally cut them to ribbons if they dumped him

Also enough of the GOP congresscritters are true believers at this point and a third of the country worships him as a god

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Dapper_Swindler posted:

and if they don't toss him they lose too.

They will for sure lose if they toss him. They will only probably lose if they don't.

They are pot committed. They know that Trump is their last chance at holding power due to demographic and generational changes, and if they slip they likely will not get power back ever again. They will literally burn down the nation and piss on the ashes of their own children in order to prevent that from happening.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

How likely is it that remaining ISIS takes advantage of this?

Very, since a war torn power vacuum is how they took power in the first place

Also as was noted, Turkey was low key backing ISIS in the first place

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Oct 7, 2019

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Numlock posted:

At the rate this seems to be spiraling out of control I hope the DoD is already pulling out of those airbases in Turkey. Going to have another Iranian hostage crisis if they don’t.

Turkey is not going to attack American bases unless they have a real deathwish

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

"Impeached and removed" is only at 18% GOP though in that poll. Still significant but still a lot of work to be done

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Faustian Bargain posted:

I don't think the GOP higher-ups actually like Trump. Next Trump that tries to make it will get knifed by the party in the primary.

He got them a poo poo ton of federal court seats plus 2 SCOTUS seats plus massive tax cuts, the rape and murder of the kurds is the just the cost of doing business to them

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Majorian posted:

The Baltic States are in NATO; they're not going to get hosed with too much.

The only real power in NATO just showed that they will betray their allies at the drop of a real estate deal

Russia isn't going to actually attack the baltics since they can't even manage to take over Ukraine, but if I would be any nation that depends on American power to defend themselves I would probably start rebuilding my military

Feldegast42 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Oct 9, 2019

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Slowpoke! posted:

The president’s only knows like five things in American history, which is why he always associates people and things with events that don’t make sense. Like he starts a sentence and gets stuck and just defaults to something he knows, like D-Day.

He probably thinks Normandy is in England or something.

(Hundred Years Warishly) Normandy is in England though

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Wait what the gently caress happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Genuine question because not Christian. Is there any place in American Christianity for social justice type Christian politics ala the type who built near every charity and homeless shelter in the company 120 years ago (even if it was a means to an end to evangelize)? Are these people already absorbed into the Democratic party? Lost causes because of abortion or gay rights?

Yes.

https://twitter.com/thehill/status/1159859387923599360