Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Normally I'd just find this exceedingly idiotic, but given the source, it's loving rage inducing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

TulliusCicero posted:

Just :lol: that ole Lumpy managed to wriggle his way of the Russia collusion stuff with Barr, and rather than playing it cool for the rest of his term immediately tried again with the Ukraine

the man pathologically cannot stop committing crimes

https://twitter.com/KevinMKruse/status/1067431464524869633

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ewiley posted:

What exactly is the R's plan here? That the whistleblower report is a nothingburger, or are they drawing knives for Trump?

It's a non-binding resolution. Their plan is to pretend they're doing something while actually doing nothing.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Wow this is a try-hard bullshit speech.

e: Though of course I'm glad she's finally starting an actual impeachment inquiry.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
That was super short. 7 minutes in heaven with Nancy Pelosi.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

ninjahedgehog posted:

Can a bigger procedural nerd than me explain what these heightened powers are, exactly? Do they get to start locking people up if they don't comply with subpoenas?

https://www.lawfareblog.com/what-powers-does-formal-impeachment-inquiry-give-house

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Boris Galerkin posted:

I watched the video and I’m pretty sure that Rudy was just holding up the phone and saying “it’s all here” as in “all the conversations are right here on this phone.”

That iPhone he has automatically lights up when picked up and pointed at anything.

Good job. Mystery solved, thread.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

LOL, of loving course. Thanks for confirming the report is bad for you, Trump, you loving moron.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Boats boats boats uh.... boats.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Kavros posted:

What's in the whistleblower report that reduced him to this

He had an affair with Pence's horse.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
He just said he would release the transcript of the call before the one he already released. LMAO he's such a moron. Doubt that'll happen though.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

VitalSigns posted:

Everyone is glad evilweasel is back, but here I am slaving away in the posting mines every single day for yall and no one gives me any credit

I'm glad evilweasel is back.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

drilldo squirt posted:

Can someone explain why this one thing mattered when everything else didn't?

It's a very easy to explain crime done in a very obvious way and the President posted a confession basically.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

drilldo squirt posted:

Are people still making GBS threads on Pelosi or is her finally caving making her good again?

https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1176915366490116102

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
I'm starting to lean towards just focusing on this and possibly the second whistle blower report about Trump interfering with the IRS audits of his and Pence's returns.

The Mueller report is old hat and so many idiots believe "how can you obstruct if there was no crime???" that I think throwing that in would muddle the process and allow the right to focus on that to drown out the more recent poo poo that is easier to explain.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Mr Interweb posted:

yeah, but he did the exact same thing when he fired comey

A lot of people incorrectly believe you can't obstruct justice if there was no crime. This mobster poo poo with Ukraine is a lot easier sell, especially to the public.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Mr Interweb posted:

wait, for impeachment, don't you need 2/3s in both houses?

No. Just a majority to actually impeach in the house and then 2/3rds to convict in the Senate.

I'm not trying to be a jackass but you post here rather frequently and this has been covered many many many times, how are you still unaware of how the impeachment process works?

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Otteration posted:

Thanks to Barr, the Mueller report was much squashed from the public consciousness. It would be nice to see an official impeachment-soepeona dredging into even just that.

Start the argument with Ukraine, then turn slowly with a quiet, "And by the way, here's some other crimes...." Maybe the dredge will hook into Barr and Pence in the meantime.

Not sure we should care about what "many idiots" believe while the Administration is currently Wiley Coyote.

I only care about what "many idiots" believe in this instance because we need a lot of republicans to vote to remove for this to actually get him out of office and they're not going to do that unless public opinion of their base supports that action.

I still think this is a win for us even if he isn't removed due to how bad this recent poo poo is.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Zwabu posted:

Sorry trying to keep up in a flood of posts - is it verified there is or was a recording of the Ukraine phone call? I've read one or two news items suggesting these calls are no longer recorded and we only have transcripts and notes from other listeners.

The transcript released by the White House was pretty loving bad anyway: https://www.whitehouse.gov/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Unclassified09.2019.pdf

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Otteration posted:

I think we should go into this impeachment realizing for now that the Senate Republicans are not going to vote to convict. Might as well dig up some poo poo in the mean time that can improve our country in the future and maybe hope the bad guys might turn in the end for the bonus.

I hope the orange poo poo smear survives the whole thing, with gobs of convictions attached to his name, and lives for some extra NY points too. Rikers is lovely this time of year, I hear.

Yeah, I'm expecting him not to be removed but I've got a little hope. I think this hurts his 2020 chances regardless.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Sundae posted:

I'm hoping for stroking out on the toilet with his last tweet being PRESIDENTIAL HARASSMENT, but you do you. :v:

Well yeah, obviously.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

theflyingorc posted:

Not a lot we weren't expecting. The terrible phone call, and a ridiculous coverup.

It's still ridiculously damning

It's just amazing that the version that was released is the one they thought was perfectly fine and normal. The original version must be insanely bad.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Mahoning posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1177201488688537602

Oh yeah, I mean it's just as bad as everyone is claiming, I'm just saying there's nothing new or additional in the report.

Confirming what we suspected is new and additional. Suspicions and guesses aren't facts.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

fatherboxx posted:

How did they let all of it leak out so quickly?
Is there not a single adult left to keep things in check?

It wasn't leaked, it was declassified and made public.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
DNI hearing: https://www.c-span.org/video/?464509-1/acting-director-national-intelligence-maguire-testifies-whistleblower-complaint

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

friendbot2000 posted:

LOL he took it to BOTH parties that were implicated in the complaint.

I think Macguire is regretting coming this morning. It is amazing how he was seeking counsel on the word "shall" in the statute.

AHAHAAH SCHIFF GOT THE DNI TO ADMIT THAT THE WHISTLEBLOWER WAS ACTING IN GOOD FAITH

Maguire is extremely unprepared and bad at this and Schiff just took his argument apart.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

scuz posted:

am i insane? is maguire saying that nobody is above the law but the intelligence committee can't investigate the president?? is that what is that what is augh help

He's contradicted himself several times. He's really bad at this and seems completely unprepared.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

gh0stpinballa posted:

nobody is disputing this. but there is no way sleepy joe's drug addled failson came by some random high paying job in ukraine honestly. i think pelosi is smart to call for a narrow inquiry, no telling what the fallout would be if they widened the scope. lots of democrat donors had their hands in the ukrainian pork barrel at that time.

Look at those goalposts move. Woosh!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Edmund Lava posted:

Yep. If, and that’s a huge loving if, support for impeachment reaches anywhere north of 15% he’s done. Republicans make up too small a portion of the population to have that many defections.

I don’t see it happening, but if it does, shot is going to get real crazy.

It's doubled from 5% to 10% since the 20th. It's entirely possible they could hit 15% as more information comes out. There's still a second whistleblower report on an entirely different incident that hasn't really been made public yet beyond the basics of Trump interfering with the IRS.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
There's always the :chaostrump: option where he whistleblows himself again by releasing another incriminating call transcript or something similar.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

bobjr posted:

So in the situation where Trump is out of commission for the next election, how would those states that got rid of their GOP primaries work then?

Congrats, you played yourself.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1177575947358412800?s=19

You know, reading from the transcript that the White House released.

IMO it was a mistake for him to summarize the call in his own words, the call was bad enough on it's own that it was unnecessary and obviously the right was going to jump on his summary as a lie. However, given how good his questioning was maybe he knew that already and it's part of a strategy.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Zotix posted:

Mid July - Trump tells his Chief of Staff to withhold $400 million in military aid for Ukraine.

July 24 - Mueller's last testimony

July 25 - Ukraine phonecall

July 28 - Dan Coats (Director of National Intelligence) resigns because he feels his duties are at odds with Trump.

July 28 - Trump announces Ratcliffe as his pick.

Aug. 2 - Ratcliffe denounces his pick less than a week later amidst criticisms of partisan loyalty and resume padding.

Aug. 8 - Trump picks Maguire.

Aug. 8 - Dan Coats interrupts a meeting to urge his deputy, Sue Gordon to resign. She announces her resignation.

Aug. 12 - Whistleblower complaint is filed.

Aug. 15 - Coats and Gordon depart (both are Trump admin nominees).

Aug. 26 - Intelligence IG forwards complaint to the acting DNI.

Aug. 28 - First reporting that Ukraine military aid is being withheld.

Sep. 2 - Deadline passes for complaint submission.

Sep. 9 - Intel IG notifies House Intelligence Chairman Adam Schiff of an "credible, urgent concern" that DNI has overruled.

Sep. 10 - Schiff demands DNI submit complaint.

Sep. 9/10 - John Bolton resigns/is fired.

Sep. 12 - Trump finally releases Ukraine military aid.

Sep. 13 - Schiff subpoenas Maguire.

Sep. 17 - Maguire refuses to testify - suspicions of WH/DOJ stonewalling.

Sep. 18 - Media revelations of the "promise" made to foreign nation.

Sep. 19 - Media revelations that Ukraine is involved.

Sep. 19 - The Intelligence inspector general gives a classified briefing to the House Intelligence Committee.

Sep. 20 - It's reported that Trump pressed Zelensky to investigate Biden's son during a call on July 25.

Sep. 22 - Trump acknowledges that he discussed Joe Biden in a July call with Zelensky.

Sep. 24 - Pelosi announces impeachment inquiry.

Sep. 24 - The DNI sent a letter to the whistleblower's legal team noting that the executive is preventing his submission of the complaint, but reassures the whistleblower that they have followed procedure and they will be protected.

Sep. 24 - Senate unanimously (100-0) passed a non-binding resolution to release the whistleblower complaint.

Sep. 25 - Officials report that Maguire threatened to resign if pressured to stonewall Congress by the WH. (Maguire denies, Wapo stands by reporting)

Sep. 25 - Trump implicates Pence in the Ukraine scandal.

Sep. 25 - Whistleblower complaint is sent to Congress.

Sep. 25 - House backs release of whistleblower complaint 421-0.

Sep. 25 - Cracks in the GOP begin to show. After seeing the whistleblower complaint, two Republican Senators publicly voiced concern over the details.

One Senate Republican, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to speak candidly, said the transcript’s release was a “huge mistake” that the GOP now has to confront and defend.
“Republicans ought not to be rushing to circle the wagons and say there’s no ‘there’ there when there’s obviously a lot that’s very troubling there,” Sen. Ben Sasse (R-Neb.) told reporters after reviewing the whistleblower’s complaint.

“It remains troubling in the extreme. It’s deeply troubling,” Sen. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) told reporters Wednesday when asked about the transcript.

Sep. 26 - Whistleblower complaint is released.

Sep. 26 - New revelations from the complaint reveal a cover-up, in which the complaint was stored in a separate system used for classified information.

Sep. 26 - Maguire testifies. He defends the whistleblower and credibility of the complaint.

Sep. 26 - Trump likens whistleblower informant to a spy and a traitor, and remarks that spies were "dealt with differently" in the old days.

Great timeline but I think you missed the actual release of the call transcript/summary by Trump, which was huge. That was late on the 24th I believe.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Literal "I'm not mad, I'm laughing actually." defense. This loving week.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Ayyyyy... I'm extortin' all the countries ova here!

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

FuturePastNow posted:

If he'd shot her instead he'd already be on death row

It's amazing how in her world somebody had to die in that encounter.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Dapper_Swindler posted:

well poo poo, i am curious if this will add any twists to it. i feel like if trump learns about this he will try to pull a purge out of "oh gently caress" paranoia.

If it's even remotely true, The Federalist is garbage.

e: Though at this point it doesn't matter, the President confirmed it himself and Rudy G has confirmed other parts of the complaint.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Charlz Guybon posted:

WTF?

In what universe would you not rush back to DC in order to try and manage the fallout hands on? Just continuing that trips just smacks of defeatism or hubris

The trip started when all this poo poo heated up. I doubt that's a coincidence.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

You had one job 23 jobs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

FizFashizzle posted:

He claims in this the Democrats are going to take away healthcare.

The right says this constantly and I'm pretty sure Trump has said it before as well.