Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I am hoping I am wrong but Jesus pelosi. This is one that f those moments you west wing assholes wait for and you still may piss it away.

Isn't there a meeting scheduled for this afternoon? I can't imagine she'd say anything before that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

The gently caress? I ... don't know what to say to that.

Also, is it correct that a formal impeachment inquiry grants additional authority to the investigators and so would change the current investigations? I thought I read that somewhere but can't find much on it.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

eke out posted:

What? No, opening an impeachment inquiry absolutely does give them additional authority, they no longer have to show that their subpoenas have a legitimate legislative purpose and several other hurdles in the way disappear (e.g.: 6(e) grand jury secrecy).

And you've confused one method for the enforcement of subpoenas for the sole method of enforcement. A criminal referral to the DOJ is obviously useless, which is why historically Congress has gone to federal court for civil enforcement of its subpoenas, because once you get a federal judge order someone to comply, defying that federal judge is a surefire ticket to sanctions and jail time.

Thanks for the clarification.

After more looking I found a good explanation of the differences here: https://www.lawfareblog.com/what-powers-does-formal-impeachment-inquiry-give-house

It's worth a look if you're interested.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
The DNI uses a lot of words to say absolutely nothing:

https://twitter.com/shaneharris/status/1176647188916686849?s=19

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
So one Republican talking point I've seen is that the whistleblower didn't have firsthand information on the calls/content. This seems to back that up a bit:

https://twitter.com/nycsouthpaw/status/1176914168823332864?s=20

But at this point, I'm not sure it matters. It does seem to call into question whether the whistleblower protections can/should apply though, based on that thread.

Does it matter that the complainant only seems to have heard about the calls from "white house officials?"

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
I still can't believe that 4 hours later the only statements we've seen from Republicans who have seen the full report are three saying "troubling."

That's nuts. Feels big to me. Under normal circumstances they'd be doing what Graham did this morning.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

theflyingorc posted:

Not a lot we weren't expecting. The terrible phone call, and a ridiculous coverup.

It's still ridiculously damning

Yeah there wasn't much in there that hasn't been reported already. But there is reference to a verbatim transcript that apparently exists or used to exist. So that's kind of new.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Rabble posted:

This is a little convoluted, but it’s incredibly damming. Not only did Trump actually lean on Ukraine by withholding aid until Ukraine “play ball”; but there are direct transcripts of this phone call, and it’s not the first time that Trump has potential done something like this because the admin has placed other non-security related transcripts in the national security server.

Yeah that last bit is probably the biggest "new" information we have. That they've done this with other calls seems like a nice juicy lead for the investigators.

I wonder if those files still exist.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

VH4Ever posted:

Does it make me a bad person that I wish Devin Nunes to be hosed to death by a syphilitic donkey? Fire this motherfucker into the sun already.

It might, but rest assured, you have company.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
Apparently there's no fuller transcript according to Ron Johnson. Whatever that's worth.

https://twitter.com/igorbobic/status/1177281870016503809?s=20

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1177674702405427201?s=20

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
These seem like good numbers this early.

https://twitter.com/ThePlumLineGS/status/1178318148304609282?s=19

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Groovelord Neato posted:

obama is very stupid if he thought garland had any chance of getting through. then again he did seem delusional for a lot of his presidency in regards to bipartisanship and assorted bullshit.

Hindsight is 20/20. At the time, Garland looked like he had a decent chance. Again, you can quibble with the strategy (you're not doing that, just calling people dumb) but it was, at the time, a valid choice. It didn't work, but it was only "very stupid" in hindsight.

1glitch0 posted:

Obama went "welp" and did nothing for months.

What should he have done? Rescind Garland and nominate someone else that wouldn't get a hearing?

AhhYes fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Oct 4, 2019

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

This is from a few pages back but goddamn. These numbers have been moving.

Very, very surprised at the GOP movement. He might really be in trouble.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

If he doesn't announce a subpoena here he's worse than useless.

I only caught the last few seconds. Did he say anything substantive?

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Well. That's intriguing.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

There were some choice quotes from him earlier in the day. He seems like he might be thinking about breaking ranks. Not retiring, not in a close district. Pretty interesting.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Exactly. He can say whatever is expedient for him because he doesn't have any constituents to answer to.

This is true, but you also don't get to the loyal ones until these types have come out in favor. In a world where Trump is impeached and removed, people like Kasich come out in favor. Really important? No. A sign that things are at least moving in the right direction? Yes.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Zwabu posted:

Yeah movement has to start somewhere. Sure, Trump should have been denied at the RNC. But here we are. The appearance of Mitt and Rooney trying baby steps into these positions is a significant and necessary step. I don't think you're going to have the Lindsey Grahams all clamoring to vote for impeachment over one night.

Right.

First you'll see polling move in the right direction. (We're seeing this pretty comprehensively)

Then come the "moderates" or Never-Trumpers.

The loyalists will always come last, if they ever do.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

DARPA posted:

Today: Republicans insist a vote is necessary to legitimatize the impeachment inquiry.

Thursday: Democrats vote party line to formalize the inquiry.

Friday: Republicans insist the impeachment is nakedly political, and therefore not legitimate.

Hopefully they've whipped up some Republican votes, otherwise this is dumb as hell.

One thing I saw included was authorizations to release transcripts, have open hearings, and even process rights for the White House, obviously to counter the "secret process" narrative the GOP has been trying to build.

https://twitter.com/BresPolitico/status/1188902172144144387?s=20

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
I'm an idiot.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Angry_Ed posted:

Ok but there's no reason to give due process because this isn't a criminal trial, and the President is not under arrest (yet).

Yeah, it's just a bluff call.

FlamingLiberal posted:

They are once again just playing to the GOP’s narrative.

After they hold this vote they will just complain about something else

They will try, that's for sure. But the thinking is: They haven't argued substance because that's very, very hard given the evidence, so they argue process. Take away the process argument and you force them into increasingly ridiculous places.

AhhYes fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 28, 2019

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

What are the odds that it comes out that Trump actually did literally use the magic words Quid Pro Quo on the call? I give it even odds at least.

I'd agree with you if I thought it were likely he could use that term accurately at the time.

Even so, I can't bring myself to totally rule it out.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

That's exactly what Taylor said.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
https://twitter.com/ArdenFarhi/status/1189948192986714118?s=20

Don't think I've seen this discussed. This IIRC is the first testimony to proactively say they didn't think anything illegal was said on the call.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
So the NSC attorney who placed the call on the codeword server is expected to testify:

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/nsc-lawyer-who-placed-trump-zelensky-call-in-code-word-system-expected-to-testify/

One thing about that I've never really understood. My understanding is that placing calls on that server is unusual (illegal?) and also makes the information much harder to get rid of due to access issues and regs surrounding the disposal of classified information. Putting the call there has been presented mostly as an abuse of the classification system. But I have been wondering about that.

If the goal was to make that information tough to access, why not just break the presidential records acts and destroy the transcripts/recordings? You're breaking the law either way. It seems to me that placing it on the secure server both draws attention to it and makes it much harder to get rid of.

Could it be that this attorney did it to preserve evidence? Or is that giving them way too much credit?

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1192857222390407169?s=20

lol "absent yourself"

Edit: Also L-O-V-E love Jordan eating that poo poo.

AhhYes fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 8, 2019

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

eke out posted:

i think the obvious alternative take is that he wants to stab trump over and over again through leaks like the above, and he wants you to buy his book, but he loving despises democrats and doesn't actually want to help them in any way by testifying so is quite happy with how this is going

I think this is a valid take, but I've absolutely been getting a "Oh please don't make me testify (wink, nudge)" vibe from his camp.

The question is who does he despise more? House Dems or Trump? I'm leaning Trump because his tenure was so short and he was publicly and personally embarrassed by the whole thing. I think personal grudge > political history here.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

I wonder if it would be of any service for Schiff to start things out by saying, "this is the investigation, not the trial."

Basically give a small civics lesson, explain the difference, and note that the trial and the President's due process will be overseen by the Chief Justice and the Senate.

Would that do any good?

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
I know everyone is saying it, but man, a real litigator makes so much difference. It's the only way to go.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

queeb posted:

lmao as we've been encouraged to do

Yeah love it. Read the transcript eh? Ok.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
Yep.

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1194666140997427200?s=20

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
https://twitter.com/AndrewDesiderio/status/1194656748499537921?s=20

People seem to think Holmes is the guy who overheard the call between Trump and Sondland.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

Hobo Clown posted:

How many times do they go back and forth today? Or is it just 45 minutes to each?

Think they can go as many rounds as the majority wants, but equal time is given for each one.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
https://twitter.com/JoshNBCNews/status/1194668796147048449?s=20

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
Minority counsel seems very nervous. Lots of ums

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
"How do you account for not being involved in the call prep?"

"Uh, we work in an embassy overseas. The NSC does that."

lolol

canepazzo posted:

The Republican counsel is like the public defender from My Cousin Vinny.

Lol had the same thought.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
Counsel looks like he's in pain. I wonder if he's like, got a stomach bug. He's occasionally looked like he's cramping up.

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice
Oh man, that lack of an answer was great.

Councel says re: Sondland's involvement with Ukraine: "It's certainly not outlandish..."

Taylor just smiles and shakes his head, unable to answer such a weird question. That poo poo was giffable LOL

VVVVV :hfive:

AhhYes fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Nov 13, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

evilweasel posted:

...pooping...

Somewhere between Blue Steel and Magnum. Needs more work.