Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I bought this game a few months ago on a lark and refunded it almost immediately because I was in an unrelated bad mood and I didn't really get the game within the first 20 minutes. Bought it again the other day and it is amazeballs. Feel super great about giving it another try. I've put 10 hours into it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Mzbundifund posted:

It's even harder to balance since if you're new to wandcrafting you'll get a good wand one in 50 runs, but once you understand the system you can just make your own good wand at least 50% of the time, and you'll realize the good runs you had before were just the ones where the stars aligned and a good wand dropped into your lap ready-made. I feel like the game REALLY needs a wandcrafting tutorial, only a narrow subset of players finds it fun to sit in Holy Mountain for 20 minutes moving icons around until they reverse engineer why and how everything works.

I absolutely need a good wand making guide and I’ve played almost 20 hours. I feel like I’m always winging it and never getting it quite right.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The Edit Wands Anywhere mod that someone suggested here is great. I went from "The Mines are tedious to get through and then I sometimes can't get a good perk" to "I don't mind exploring the Mines"

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cuntellectual posted:

Have the devs said how far along they consider it? Like is it "mostly done" at this point?

It’s on the steam page.

quote:

Why Early Access?
“TLDR: Right now Noita is already really fun to play and has dozens of hours of content. Early Access allows us to get important feedback to make the game even better.

Noita is a physics-based rogue-lite, and rogue-lite games generally benefit from additional content updates. The game is also being made with a custom engine (Falling Everything Engine), and even though the game is fairly stable we haven't been able to test every permutation due to the highly emergent nature of the game. For the same reason we're really excited to see how the players will exploit the game systems.”

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

“We're currently estimating that the game would be in Early Access for about a year.”

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?

“The full version will be more polished and have more content. Essentially the full version will be a more refined version; there shouldn't be any drastic changes or fundamental differences. For example, the full version might have a larger variety of enemies/items/areas.”
What is the current state of the Early Access version?

“The game is playable and is polished to a nearly-finished state up to a certain point in the game's progression. Past that point game elements are a bit less polished. A functional final boss and ending exists, but they lack polish and testing.”

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?

“We're looking for feedback from players so that we can fix bugs, design issues and so on. We're interested in seeing how the gameplay experience changes as players get better at the game, and adjust the game to our best capability so that the experience stays interesting for both new and more experienced players.”

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
After 44 hours I have completed the game for the first time.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I had an alternate ending in each and every single playthrough. Always ending in my death though.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Hamelekim posted:

I never play without edit wands anywhere which makes the game a ton of fun building wands on the fly while exploring.

This is pretty loving essential. It makes the mines much less of a slog when you can screw around with wands in it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What are you guys using to record and take choice pieces out?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Great! Thanks!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh gently caress. A rat!

https://i.imgur.com/YwH9LgN.mp4

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What is happening ahhahhahhhh.

https://i.imgur.com/y6PteRA.mp4

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

jaete posted:

https://i.imgur.com/ibVjk7I.mp4

Game remains 5/5 would die hilariously again (and again)

That's so loving wonderful. :allears:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I got polymorphed into one of those flying fire guys from the first level and tried to float into a body of water to wash off the polymorph effect.

Instant death.

Laughed hysterically when I read the death reason.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I hope they add achievements for all the extra things so people have a vague sense there's SO much that they're missing.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What are the extra chonkier spider legs from?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The Noita official discord pinged everyone to let them know there would be a base price increase coming "sometime this summer".

The game is also currently on sale for 25% off. If you were holding off on it or know someone who may be into it, now is a good time to buy it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
You beat the game on easy mode. Now those skills you cultivated doing weird poo poo will pay off as you grab orbs and poo poo.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Coming out of Early Access on October 15th.

1.0 will include "new enemies, perks, music, and over 20 spells, as well as a wide range of general game improvements and bug fixes, along with other surprises, and perhaps a new game mode."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMYRWb9n9iM

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
:ohdear:

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BigYearlyEland-mobile.mp4

Enhance!

:allears:

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Enhance!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Sage Grimm posted:

Nukes! And the witch managed to find shelter behind the wand pedestal because it is one of the strongest materials in the universe which is pretty slick thinking.

Johnny Truant posted:

That's fuckin god-tier nuke-dodging, comrade :cheerdoge:

Only impressive if it was intentional. I was running low on levitate juice and it was a convenient platform.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Oh ffs.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/FemaleGargantuanAfricanharrierhawk-mobile.mp4

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
New achievements are surprisingly lame.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Der Shovel posted:

Opening a portal to a "sinister dimension": good idea, or bad? Let's explore!

https://i.imgur.com/zcFDG0w.mp4

I got my first win with it.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

resistentialism posted:

I don't know if it's coded as a micro climate or if it's checking nearby materials, but any rock you solidify near the lava lake way more readily converts back into lava.

The idea being you can't just use a flask of water to cross it anymore?

edit: Tested it out. You can use a flask of water, but the effect is temporary.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Oct 15, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
New Progress screen is cool.

Again, wish better achievements were in the game as a pseudo progress tracker.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Futaba Anzu posted:

am i wrong in thinking they once had a thing where enemies wouldn't use nuke wands if they picked them up? because lol
https://i.imgur.com/4c8gERF.mp4

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

CodfishCartographer posted:

I suppose I should re-word my previous hiisi base statement to be more in line with what I was trying to say: it's fully possible to beat hiisi base (and the whole game for that matter) with basic no-frills wands. However, it will be generally very slow and not very fun. I remember a while back in this thread someone posted a video clearing hiisi base with just spark bolt on the starting bomb wand, and a lot of the thread consensus was "yeah it's possible, but boy does that look boring and tedious"

Also I was more lamenting the fact that the game's pacing kind of works against the urge to create crazy unique wands. I always would love to do some bullshit like creating a cloud of electrified exploding booze when the spark bolt i fired lands, but by the time I'm lucky enough to get all that stuff together the game is more or less at the "okay, you need a REAL wand now, or it's going to be slow going" stage.

I'll also fully admit maybe I'm just bad at making wands and can't find a way to make reliable high-damage wands without trigger-multicast or chainsaws. I'd love for someone to explain how to make great wands that can reliably clear late-game levels that don't rely on those gimmicks.

Mana + Ping Pong Path + Luminous Drill

On a fast use wand. Throw in whatever other modifier you like. Freeze is really great.

You end up getting a lightsaber the size of the screen.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
The mods I use are Tinker Wands Anywhere, and a couple others that make ALL items glow like wands when obscured by fog of war. Health, chests, yahta yahta.

There’s a lot less “explore every nook and cranny” and more “how the gently caress am I getting over there?”

Zesty fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Oct 24, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Perks: Homing + Unlimited Spells

Wand: BOMBS

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/InfatuatedSparklingClingfish-mobile.mp4

Raining Spider Legs

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zamujasa posted:

Oil Blood is pretty terrible

Oil Blood + Oil Trail Spell + Vampirism :ssh:

Zesty fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Nov 3, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Mods disable achievements. I don’t think this should be the case. Also needs more achievements. A lot more. For all the cool hidden things.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

goferchan posted:

Have you checked out the top of the big tree since 1.0? The game is tracking a lot of those things!

Have you seen the Steam achievements are supremely basic?

Let's get some achievements for getting to really unconventional places. Parallel worlds. Finding various orbs. All of those four special things you can do with the Moon, etc.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Nov 4, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Lag

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
So my stats weren't saving. Thought it was a weird bug so I reset my stats just in case and thought it would be fun to only count post-1.0 stats. They still don't save. Here's a screenshot on a quick suicide run after 2 hour run all over the game.

Is this a bug or does it have to do with using mods? Because if it's the latter, who honestly gives a poo poo if someone got high stats on a modded game? I just want to see how I do, run to run.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Steam. Disabling everything, sec.

Edit: Stats save when no mods are active.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Nov 5, 2020

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
If you want to do it more often, you can get the same effect with ping-pong projectile modifier. For some reason it just extends luminous drill rather than doing the obvious. Uses less slots and I imagine it's less mana intensive too.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Yeah.

https://modworkshop.net/mod/26321

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Der Shovel posted:

Well poo poo. Add that to the list of perks not to take, I guess!

Projectile repulsion field is one of the strongest perks in the game. You will simply not be damaged by a projectile moving slightly slower than lightspeed. I don't experience projectiles moving at 45 degree angles with it at all. Maybe your spell or spell modifier is doing that.