Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How mad are you going to get when I call your favorite Pokemon unviable?
5: I will set the entire cloud ablaze with the heat of my rage!!!
4: I will be quite rankled, and will have no problem telling you as much!
3: I'll be a little upset, and might debate you on it.
2: Disappointed, but I know my faves are bad.
1: I don't know gently caress about poo poo.
View Results

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

I agree with the Nido assessment. They are really strong and flexible, but rely on TMs for a lot of that strength. Which means to make the most of them it comes at the expense of the strength of the rest of the team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Shiny777 posted:

Nidoking isn't actually locked out of one of the higher floors of Sylph Co., ready to be snapped up right around the middle of the game.

That's uh, pretty late in the game. Like last couple badges late. Theres only one route between you and victory road when you get there.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Some Numbers posted:

Depends on when you do it, because you can go through Silph Co as early as 4 or 5 badges in, meaning you could get the TM before you face Koga and definitely before Sabrina or Blaine.

The guard doesn't move before you reach fuschia. Literally the only route left before victory road at that point is the water one to cinnibar. I mean yeah, you could skip koga and fly back, but why would you bother?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Bogart posted:

Discuss how stat experience works or it isn’t a real lp

You kill stuff and your stats gain experience based on what you killed.

That's it. Theres nothing more for them to explain. This isn't gen 3+ where there's actual nuance involved.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Eh, the trainer fly glitch kind of breaks the spirit of the run given that it breaks the whole "working within availability" thing.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

SirSamVimes posted:

Dome Fossil because Kabutops is just plain cool.

drat straight

E: also, y'all are too hard on parasect. Like sure it'll probably die before doing anything, but it does get slash in the game where that auto crits 9 mons out of 10, and if it survives getting outsped by the enemy spore IS the only guaranteed sleep in the game.

Plus it's both kind of cute and horrifying at once.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Oct 7, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cythereal posted:

I never loved Gyarados in RBY, honestly. I'd rather have Lapras and/or Starmie.

Yeah, but lapras shows up late and under level, and starmie doesn't pop up until seafoam.

Actually, for how prolific the type is; water types are super back loaded. Before you can surf there's what? Gyrados, poliwrath, goldeen and blastoise?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Black Robe posted:

That's also why, say, Misty can be an issue - Starmie's leagues ahead of anything the player has by that point, your only electric option is Pikachu which will only have thundershock, and every grass type is /poison and slower.

Not actually an issue. She doesn't give it a psychic move outside of the stadium games until hgss and even then only on the rematch. Those grass types wall her pretty solid if you raise one up in the cape. Early pokemon was pretty good at giving you counters right before each gym.

The big thing with misty is that starmie is nearly double the level of anything in the area and a stupid good sweeper so theres not much that can get a hit in, and by the time you think of those grass types you could be out of reasonable exp in the area.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Bogart posted:

I remember in Stadium 2, Morty’s Ariados was a motherfucker since he could out speed and one hit the rental Kadabra.

And thus was the one time Ariados was allowed to be scary.

I want to like the cute little spider so much, but it's just so bad. And this is coming from the guy who liked paras(which admittedly got thrown in the same boat after gen 1)

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

ItBreathes posted:

I'd be interested in hearing. I've always thought the math behind pokemon was needlessly complex for a children's RPG.

You're not really supposed to know, understand, or be aware of a lot of the math going on in the background. A lot of it is arbitrary stuff they made up, hence all the 255s(maximum for 8 bits). But pokemon blew up and grognards tore into it and now we know all these goofy rear end formulas some dude whipped together trying to make the general concept work and great.

E: Take for instance the fact that they won't show you IVs in game and took forever to show evs in game. They were just intended to make every pokemon unique, but competitive internet people obsess over them for optimization reasons.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

My favorite thing about red/blue as a kid was using the seismic toss tm to make leveling abra not a nightmare.

To this day I'm still not quite sure why its allowed to learn that one.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Eh, in gen 1 its other attacking options were dig, submission, and normal moves all of which use its mighty 35 base attack.

About the only other thing to give it was the screens and recover. Which in all honesty didn't do much outside of stadium because single player was easy and pvp was decided by who had the dude with the biggest levels.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Speaking of gen 1 stuff from this update: it's always struck me as kind of strange to me how body slam just kind of vanishes after gen 1.

Like it's still technically in the game, but you never see it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Huh, I didn't remember return appearing that early in the series.

I'm not really talking about competitive play though. It goes from a near universal tm to only appearing on pokemon that learn it natively. I can't think of any time I've seen an enemy trainer use it, so unless you use nidoqueen or something you'll never see it.
Even garbage like rage and the heavily nerfed fire spin/wrap show up more than it does after gen 1.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The kicking rad new steel type had what, magnamite? And then you hit postgame and the other two were exclusive to each other and locked behind trading.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The Flying Twybil posted:

I only got introduced to Pokemon in the RSE era and dropped out after 5th gen, so seeing this technical discussion of how it used to be really intrigues me.

I do have to ask, though, is Tentacool / Tentacruel really that good later on? Given that I started with 3rd gen, I always regarded them as the Zubat of the sea with their godawful non-stop encounter rate.

I was never much of a competitive player anyhow, and I tended to use the pokemon I liked regardless of how useful they were. Gyarados is probably the only high tier pokemon I usually pick, and that's just because I enjoy the gimmick with Magikarp and the only reason I've ever used Ninetales is because it was my first and only shiny. I have a soft spot for Beedrill just because it was a trusted ally when I played SS, but I imagine it's moveset availability has gotten a lot better.

I still stand by my Zigzagoon, Skitty, and Feebas, even if two of them are complete pains to get a hold of.

After the first game special got split into a defense and offense component. Tentacool went from a murder machine to a solid wall against special attacks.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Tentacool and Tentacruel get an automatic -1/5 for sheer annoyance

To be fair, it doesn't annoy nearly as bad with the power of repel

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

magikid posted:

Still not quite sure what "depth" means when you rate Pokemon. Something about its level-up moves?

How much it can do. Like how jolteon is really good at thunderbolting fools fast and almost nothing else. Whereas if you're willing to spend tms on the nidos they can do all sorts of things.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Tod-it bothers me so much

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The only redeeming thing about gen 1 safari zone is that the cinnabar exploit exists for you to ignore it.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

MR. J posted:

Reading all this just makes me realize how huge reusable TMs were in gen5 onwards.
Unovan engineering at its finest.

Yeah, but that came with it's own caveat. Suddenly all the good moves started cropping up stupid late in the game. In gen 1 thunderbolt was a badge 3 reward. In black and white 2 you dont see it until victory road.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

Why not just use a Snorlax gameshark and spare yourself the trouble? :effort:

Fixed for all playing your friends related issues.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Yeah, TMs being restricted was the pokemon equivalent of, "Your party finds a sword of +2 orc slaying, who do you give it to?" They were the stronger moves and it let you do pretty much exactly what is shown in the lp and strategize about who would be best served having it. Bubblebeam was ape when you got it in red and blue and thunderbolt was end game good and you got it after gym 3. Letting everyone on your team get those would have been busted in an unfun way. Letting one dude be busted and special was really fun.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

And really psywave is fine for the most part on a conceptual level. A psychic attack on gen 1 that dealt flat damage and could get around stuff like light screen and other psychic types was a pretty good niche.

Except they stupidly under tuned it and it was always better to just mash psychic anyway.

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Dec 14, 2019

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

That wouldn't make sense since the Gyms in Gen 1 follow a type advantage progression. Rock is weak to Water, which is weak to Electric, which is not very effective on Grass, which is weak to Poison, which is weak to Psychic. And then Blaine breaks it because Gen 1 Psychic has no real weaknesses at all.

So you're saying he should have had 6 tauros with hyper beam?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Hes better off than Lieutenant "right next to a cave full of moles he literally can't damage" Surge

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

How painful silph co is depends on if you know where the card key and resting point are going in.

If you do it's a bunch of mini dungeons you can optionally clear.
If you don't it's a disgusting maze of teleporters that you'll be lost in forever.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

The seafoam islands are just a giant boring walk with some excessively drawn out simple puzzles. Because if you don't use repel it's the exact same thing with minute long random encounters inserted every 3 steps.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It's best quality, aside from the spoiled bit, is that it out of the box chumps lance and his mighty dragons that resist your starter.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I wouldn't blame you if the update in it's entirety read:
I went to some islands. There were some new random encounters and they were all water+ice types. I also walked around in circles for god hows long pushing rocks while nothing else happened.
Then I got to cinnibar and beat blaine. The end.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

I never got the hate fly gets. I understand how a human can stomp all over it, but people trash talk it to the point where they act like it's even bad against the computer. The ai almost never takes advantage of the stall turn making it effectively a slightly weaker drill peck in stadium.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Allosauroidea posted:

I think Brock's dickishness is more poor level design in terms of Pokemon selection, as well as movepool design, in RB than an inherent problem with a Rock type first gym.

Yeah, if you swap him with erika you could just as easily at that point give the player mankey or hell, something other than your starter(yes pikachu, but brock is immune and butterfree is 2 evolutions in and not particularly obvious)capable of using the special stat.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Kikas posted:

Heck ye I love my weird rear end shroom boy even through his crippling x4 fire weakness.

Epicmissingno posted:

x8 Fire-type weakness sometimes now! Thank you, Dry Skin, even though it doesn't apply to these games.

Don't forget it's also x4 to flying.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Zore posted:

I mean, Grass has always been a decent-good types. It has weaknesses yeah, but it also has some really good resistances especially to Ground and Water.

Like a good chunk of competitively great pokemon are Grass Type. Its nowhere near the same realm as being an ice type or a rock type where you just mostly don't get to exist.

But rocks are hard! Therefore they should all be defensive and strong but inaccurate!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Isn't Tyranitar Ground?

Nah, it's rock dark. It swaps ground out for it's final form

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

EclecticTastes posted:

Oh, yeah, just realized his second screenshot there was from the PC. I didn't realize it was possible to have enough items to fill both your inventory and PC. Hell, I never even maxed out my bag, but I figure hoarding all those TMs instead of wasting them all on random Pokemon (which is exactly what I did back when I played gen 1 as a child) might make a difference.

I would always need to shuffle things around sometime around the rocket game corner.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

EorayMel posted:

This is especially good when there are enemy trainers in Pika Cup, the level 15-20 cup, using Pokemon that cannot legally exist at that range like Dewgong :v:

The pika cup in general was really tough because those cheating shits on the computer teams had level 15s with end game move sets everywhere

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Please tell me that ampharos is used by a gambler somewhere in the game. Zap cannon dynamic punch as its attacking moveset. That's an impressive amount of unreliable haymaker.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Geemer posted:

You really breezed through that one with surprising ease.

Isn't Fly a HM, though?

It's not too bad importing a bunch of rear end kickers with sweet move sets. The way options were so stupidly limited early on and open up over time has given things an interesting difficulty curve. This is probably the easiest point of the lp even though the enemy teams have ramped up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

It's amazing how many of the ultra rare flamethrower and friends TMS the enemy trainers found.