Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I'm sure this is a dumb idea, but I'm not sure why: Caroline Lucas caretaker prime minister.

She seems well respected (by everyone other than Tories) and as an MP in a party of one she's not going to cause a weird power struggle. It would also mean that none of the main party's would "unfairly" benefit by briefly being in power.

Though I'm sure the Lib Dems would oppose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

For what it's worth, I, an early 30s person get political research calls from Populous on my mobile (and don't have a landline). Then again AFAIK they're one of the good ones.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

WhatEvil posted:

He legally has to ask for an extension but he's clearly going to try to weasel out of it or he's already had words with France or Italy or someone to ask them to veto an extension or some poo poo.

If Ireland wants the extension to avoid a hard border and checks I really can't see the EU siding with someone (Hungary?) over Ireland.

(Yes, theoretically any member state could veto it, but I'd imagine the EU is a lot more persuasive than Boris)

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

What? It was a character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj65JgmJBYc

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

If a majority of parliament don't trust Boris to negotiate the future relationship, why hasn't somebody put forward an amendment that the next stage is negotiated by a cross-parliamentry committee? Is there something in our not-constitution that says only the government and not the legislature can conduct negotiations?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

I was reading through this Lord Ashcroft Polls summary of how and why people voted in the referendum and this stat from the end jumped out at me:

quote:

The impact

More than three quarters (77%) of those who voted to remain thought “the decision we make in the referendum could have disastrous consequences for us as a country if we get it wrong”. More than two thirds (69%) of leavers, by contrast, thought the decision “might make us a bit better or worse off as a country, but there probably isn’t much in it either way”.

If a plurality of brexit voters truely believe there isn't much in it either way, no wonder they're fine with no-deal as long as it's over and see cancelling it as subverting democracy. Hopefully the last three years has convinced some of them otherwise but that doesn't really seem to be the case.

Odd though that despite it not making much difference either way it'll definitely solve these forces of ill:

sigh, though 50% of each group at least thinks capitalism is bad I guess.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

You're misreading the graph. 51% of anticapitalists voted leave, not 51% of leave voters were anticapitalists.

You're right, my bad!

And a little more hope was lost.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

josh04 posted:

BBC News has another extremely weird article about the Royals on the front page, where they explain at length in the manner of a mob enforcer how Prince Harry gunning for the press is undoubtedly going to ruin his life and turn his brother against him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50154033

They're really going out of their way to not report the real reason for the rift between Harry and William.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Give me my money Ronald :arghfist:

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS8uNlA4lyg

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Can someone throw in an amendment to hold a remain/deal referendum on the same election day please? I'd really like to be done with all of this now tbh.

Plus the olds are scared of winter.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Firos posted:

This is a loving idiotic idea.

It is. And yet I'm ok with it because when we inevitably get another hung parliament at least Brexit won't absorb another three years.

E: I'll also point out that other countries frequently hold referendums concurrently with their main elections and at this point you don't need another referendum 'campaign' - everybody's opinion of remain or deal is set and if it hasn't changed since the first referendum it isn't gonna change now. Time to finish the issue.

blunt fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Oct 29, 2019

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Rarity posted:

Lol at all the posters who were mad Labour weren't going to back a vote

You don't think labour supporters collectively saying "er wtf?" over the last couple of days might have had something to do with this clear U-turn?

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Bundy posted:

Corbyn: We'll back a general election once no deal is secured against.
*Labour backs GE once no deal is secured against*
Idiots: "WOAH WOW WHAT A U TURN"

That's needlessly reductive. I'm talking about things like this:

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1188770096828813312?s=19

When the position on Sunday/Yesterday was no election [not just until no deal was off the table, at one point yesterday shadow cabinet members were on TV saying no election until the spring], the party was getting called out by the friendly members of the media that they normally rely on to get their messages out. That's a pretty clear indication that they hosed up.

I'm glad they rectified it.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

E: nm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

https://twitter.com/BBCNewsnight/status/1190039075706814464

:agreed: