Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Since the jury came back with murder I assume they rejected the "accidentally went to the wrong apartment" excuse which means that all the tying in knots people were doing was irrelevant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

NO ONE WILL EVER BE AS GOOD AS PURE SAINT BERNIE. GUYS I DON'T THINK I'M GOING TO VOTE NOW.

Its disappointing because Bernie is the only national level democrat that believes that social programs shouldn't have ridiculous restrictions put on them. Clearly you have to have 10 pages of forms to fill out, giant warnings about mistakes being perjury, have to go to tribunals and whatever other dumb poo poo congress comes up with to qualify for a social program, you can't just cut checks blindly to people unless they're worth at least $100 million!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bird cooch posted:

What things? What made you change your mind on what subject? Cause I'm not getting much out of that.

The biggest wtf is this page:
https://elizabethwarren.com/plans/health-care

quote:

Medicare for All solves these problems. Everyone can see the doctor they need. Nobody goes broke. And your doctor gets paid by Medicare instead of fighting with an insurance company.

Fantastic!

quote:

In addition to the right to physical health care, we must prioritize affordable, high-quality mental health services. Despite the widespread need for these services, many Americans are denied coverage. Elizabeth’s Behavioral Health Coverage Transparency Act would hold insurers accountable for providing adequate mental health benefits and ensure Americans receive the protections they are guaranteed by law. She has also worked to hold the Department of Health and Human Services accountable for improving insurers’ compliance with mental health parity laws through an online consumer portal.

Wait what.

She has plans but they don't seem to be self consistent!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bird cooch posted:

So you're super upset that the website isn't that great?

I’m super upset that the plans candidate thinks that mental health and physical health are different things that the former should be trusted to private insurance while the latter has a single payer system.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Smiling Jack posted:

I'm not up on Texas sentences, but that's pretty average for murder in NYC if you have no priors.

Texas is clearly different because the juries deciding the sentence is not a thing in New York.

joat mon in the detainment thread says that the way Texas decides between first and second degree murder is that the jury picks the appropriate sentence during the penalty phase. The potential range for 2nd degree murder in Texas is between 2-20 years. I wonder if the jury just said "ok we think its 2nd degree, just take the middle of the range I guess, lets go home"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's not first or second degree murder. There are no degrees in TX. She was convicted of murder, which is a first degree felony. It is possible to reduce that to a second degree felony at sentencing if it was a crime of passion, but this was not.

Whats the jury instruction really like for this? Is it just write the number of years on the blank or something? That seems like a recipe for very, very random results because 12 people would have to agree on a number.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

joat mon posted:

This jury did not find sudden passion.

Then 10 seems odd? Minimum is 5, prosecution recommended 28, right?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fister Roboto posted:

Alright, fess up, who was it.

This is dumb even by Jacob Wohl’s standards.

They should’ve found someone to pretend to have dated Warren during her Cherokee republican days, that’d both be more entertaining and harder to disprove.

Oxygenpoisoning posted:

I thought enjoying a private encounter with a sex worker then covering it up makes America great again.

Presumably the crime is being a cheap date.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

Fox reported earlier that the whistleblower acknowledged being a registered democrat and previously worked for a democratic campaign so the whole thing is moot anyway.

Like Trump?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

bird food bathtub posted:

Only part that interests me is how fast they can get this before judges to overcome the multiple insane bullshit justifications the White House legal team comes up with for Trump's stance of "gently caress you make me."

I would like to think that would be a very expedited situation but I'm not optimistic.

I don’t see the Supreme Court reducing its own power by overturning United States v Nixon.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Remember: the big lesson to be learned is that you can never count on the US to stand by its allies of convenience. Sorry Kurds, maybe next time you’ll move quicker on building Trump Tower Rojava.

Also I wonder how that Turkish F-16 pilot who had Erdogan’s plane in his sights and didn’t fire during the 2016 coup attempt is feeling these days because I’m certainly not too happy with him.

Wasn’t there some giant purge of the military after that attempt? I suspect that pilot isn’t doing well.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

When will people start going to loving jail? That's when I will start to take all this stuff seriously

You mean people with the last name Trump. Less important people have already gone to jail.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Burt posted:

Apparently trump green lighting the Turkish "expedition" into Syria has pissed off, and rightly so, the Kurds.

It also appears that he forgot to mention this to the UK and France, both of whom have SF troops embedded with the Kurds. Both countries not that happy about this.

Hilldawg not happy either.

https://twitter.com/HillaryClinton/status/1181191825459159040?s=20

Though, Hillary is probably not the best person to trust on Syria.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

psydude posted:

What? She left office partyway through the Arab Spring revolution and well before the Syrian Civil War even began.

Which makes her endorsing the US sponsoring Syrian rebels during her time in office even crazier.

Obama said no.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

“I urge the President to exercise American leadership to keep together our multinational coalition to defeat ISIS and prevent significant conflict between our NATO ally Turkey and our local Syrian counterterrorism partners,” he added. “Major new conflict between Turkey and our partners in Syria would seriously risk damaging Turkey’s ties to the United States and causing greater isolation for Turkey on the world stage.”

“As we learned the hard way during the Obama Administration, American interests are best served by American leadership, not by retreat or withdrawal,” McConnell warned on Monday.

Too late

https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1181284363352367105

https://twitter.com/ragipsoylu/status/1181283198224855040

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Hexyflexy posted:

He's managed to start a war in under 24 hours, by accident, mallice, stupidity all of the above. That shouldn't be loving possible.

I'm just surprised Erdogan was the first to start a war by exploiting Trump's willingness to agree to anything so long as you say hes the greatest.

Then again I guess the Saudis can do that with any american leader so

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/status/1181322726843265026

Don't think I have anyone here not agree that this is a capital B bad idea

I'm surprised the Trump admin found out about in the first place

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m just wondering how the open skies treaty even would’ve come up.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Turkey was a member but has been refusing overflights near the Syrian border recently.

:thunk:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

The Internet Research Agency. Russian government sponsored trolls, advertising, propaganda and disinformation. Swung the 2016 election.

Provos rigging elections in the US and Britain in 2016 to set up a unified Ireland in 2020 after BoJo goes through with a Trump supported no deal Brexit would be the only thing that could surprise me at this point.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

quote:

According to the campaign, the Secret Service is “solely” responsible for securing the arena and blocking the rally would be a breach of their contract.

Never have I wanted a bluff to be called so badly.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Handsome Ralph posted:

That hardly read like a defense of NBC but go off.

https://twitter.com/JenGriffinFNC/status/1181929592254283784

This poo poo with the Kurds is really upsetting me. It's hard to be *as* angry as I am about it without realizing this is like only the 3rd worst loving thing he's done this year. I cannot wait till the motherfucker strokes out but I hope it happens only after he's out on his rear end and whoever comes in next says gently caress it, and tells the family to get hosed when they ask for a state funeral.

Whenever Trump leaves office it'll be too late to undo the Armenian treatment the Kurds are getting.

jfc, "correcting demographics"

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I guess we probably still have a ways to go to catch up to the British?

I don't know why "correct the demographics" is sticks with me, I almost feel like it'd have been less horrifying if they said they're going to kill everyone and god will know his own.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

trump betraying the kurds is the most normal us president thing he's done for a while

Encouraging the Turks to genocide them is a bit beyond what previous US presidents have done

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Now I'm vaguely curious - what was going on in that region during WWII? Turkey was "neutral", Syria was under the control of Vichy France and Britain fought for and eventually reinstalled its puppet government in Iraq after an axis lead coup.

Basically what I'm saying is that region being a clusterfuck and Germany not getting any oil probably helped a bit with the landings at Normandy.

edit: https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1182038589925941248
...are we the baddies

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Oct 9, 2019

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

You can still buy incandescent bulbs anyway.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Stravag posted:

So I know our allies are allies until its not convenient but how much would it take for us to totally gently caress over britain or canada? I mean during more normal times not this admin.

Isn't the US already loving over Canada by laughing at their arctic claims?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The meme format or people saying Trump murdered Kurds?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Haven't seen any shitbags walking around yet today. But I take the train and they're deathly afraid of that.

Its a Jesse Ventura train though, I'd think they could make an exception.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EBB posted:

Conspiracy to Defraud the United States by the President of the United States.

I'd like to get off the ride now, please.

With respect to fraud, if the president does it then its not fraud.
-Roberts in upcoming 5 to 4 ruling

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

EBB posted:

Well duh you hire a CRIMINAL lawyer

Instructions unclear

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Blind Rasputin posted:

How is he not arrested yet? I thought Wohl was being tried in California for something?

https://twitter.com/psubeatboxer/status/1182725020063326213

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

McNally posted:

Way wrong answer

Problems with the neighbor, Rand?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

monkeytennis posted:

What really happened?

It’s this guy

quote:

Those documents were part of a 2011 report filed by an Army investigator, Special Agent Zachary Jackson, who reported that Golsteyn said after the Marines were killed in the February blast that his unit found bomb-making materials nearby, detained the suspected bomb-maker and brought him back to their base.

A local tribal leader identified the man as a known Taliban bomb-maker. The accused learned of the leader’s identification, which caused the tribal leader to fear he would kill him and his family if released.

Trusting the leader and having also seen other detainees released, Golsteyn allegedly told CIA interviewers that he and another soldier took the alleged bomb-maker off base, shot him and buried his remains.

He also allegedly told the interviewers that on the night of the killing, he and two other soldiers dug up the body and burned it in a trash pit on base.

He then talked about it on Fox News.

https://www.mediaite.com/tv/heres-the-fox-interview-that-got-former-green-beret-and-trump-hero-indicted-for-murder/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Why the gently caress have they not be removed before now?

Rick Perry is in charge of it. Rick loving Perry is in charge of this

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

FrozenVent posted:

:siren::siren:THE TURKS ARE ROLLING ACROSS THE BORDER BECAUSE TRUMP GAVE THEM PERMISSION :siren::siren:

I want to read the alt history where Trump handles the Suez crisis.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A Bad Poster posted:

So, it I'm reading this right, Turkey just invaded Syria, and as much as the Kurds hate Assad they hate the Turks more, so now the people we have been fighting with for half a decade are now fighting against a NATO ally along with the people we have been helping them fight against for half a decade. Meanwhile the Turks are playing "I'm not touching you" with the US forces in the area because they know we won't do anything to them if some of our guys get smoked, because in the end Donny is a gigantic weakling.

And now if Syria+Kurds do any sort of counter attack Turkey can invoke article 5 and demand the US start killing Kurds with them?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Madurai posted:

Since the Turks are on the wrong side of the border, it'll be a tough sell on Article 5.

Doesn’t mean they won’t try.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

facialimpediment posted:

I can't confirm that this loving thing is valid, but it came from Twitter (2019), is from a Fox Business host (2019), and sure sounds like our genius-brained president (2019). I feel dumber for having read it (2019) and I may never read anything dumber for the rest of my life (2019).

https://twitter.com/trish_regan/status/1184559361638748161?s=19

It's dated a week ago. Three days after the White House statement kicked off this monumental clusterfuck.

I guess they don't put "dictated, not read" on paper anymore?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Best Friends posted:

Why the gently caress were these things not flown out the night of the coup, let alone any time after that in the past couple years.

Secretary of Energy Rick "D in meats" Perry is in charge of it.