Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ViggyNash posted:

Speaking of which, how important is the movie in the timeline of the show? I haven't seen it and have no idea if it's required viewing or not.

It's fun, and bits might come up later, but it's not essential.

Basically, there's a one-off adventure and you meet an old friend of All Might's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hiro Protagonist posted:

Does anyone have a theory why Tsuyu is so popular in America, especially when compared to her fairly middling reception in Japan? As an American, I assumed she was a main character before I saw the show, because there was so much discussion and fan art of her. If I had to guess, maybe it's her straightforwardness and somewhat awkward personality, which seems more common in American media.

The anime director likes her a lot, and Americans are more likely to be focused on the anime where Japanese fans are more likely to be manga readers. Figure that's at least a contributing factor.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The worst part about Bakugo is that Deku still respects and admires him. But that’s mostly on Deku I suppose.

Did you miss the whole speech in their big fight in season 3?

Deku thinks Bakugo is a loving rear end in a top hat... but he also respects him, because Bakugo is a badass genius who faces down impossible odds and wins on a regular basis. That's the big complication in their dynamic.

You can respect and admire someone while still thinking they're kind of a piece of poo poo in other ways. And now that Bakugo respects Deku instead of resenting him, they're moving forward on more even ground. Deku feels free to talk smack about Bakugo, same as the rest of the class, and Bakugo's attitude towards Deku is less "Don't try!" and more "Don't lose!"

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Spiritus Nox posted:

*spits my drink all over my monitor* WANT

It's a little harder to figure out how All Might would pick her as a successor than some, but yeah. It'd be rad.

Zero gravity plus Gunhead Martial Arts plus ONE FOR ALL equals a lot of hurt. I'd think her style would have more in common with All Might than with Deku, since she's got more of the natural fighter's instinct and less of the nerdy analysis approach. Uraraka's not dumb, but she's not a thinker, either. She doesn't break people down. She just breaks them.

(It'd probably work best if she got the power from Deku, I think. He's got the motive, and it'd make her reactions to a Deku who kept at things long enough to develop his own style more interesting.)

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Larryb posted:

That brings up a question actually, would it even be possible to pass One For All onto someone who already has a Quirk?

Yep! Otherwise most of the past users wouldn't have gotten it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Larryb posted:

Ah, couldn’t remember if any of the past users already had Quirks of their own before receiving the power.

We don't know what Nana's power is, but it's been mentioned she had one, and the first holder had a quirk of his own, which is how One for All formed.

We don't know much about the other holders yet in the anime, but two is enough to say it's possible.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

SolarFire2 posted:

Laws or not, it's just weird that someone would be like, "Hmm, you show clear signs of abuse and this person is obviously causing you distress.. Whatever, run along now."

The whole idea was not tipping off the abuser that the police were after him. In theory, it was delaying help for a scared little girl for the greater good.

Deku's reflexive willingness to throw out months of effort to help the little girl in front of him is why he's All Might's chosen heir, but it's also a very short term view, even if you could argue that it's the most moral one.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

oh jay posted:

That's basically Bakugo's mom. Having slightly better complexion.

Deku's mom's power is pretty mundane too; the lightest amount of telekinesis.

Deku's mom has telekinesis strong enough to move pretty much any regular household objects around freely without strain.

It's not crazy top tier or anything, but it's pretty decent, and from what we see of trained vs untrained quirks, it probably could get strong enough for pro hero use.

It's not like David Shields having extra-bendy fingers or Bakugo's mom having naturally great skin. It's a genuine cool superpower that happens to be less amazing than most of the Actual Superhero ones we see in action.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kung Food posted:

Even with out super powers, hit you exactly once with a sword, and then you lose is usually the case.

It's a little surprising how many of these super heroes can be brought low by the evil villians Gun Haver or even the less powerful Knife Haver.

That's actually a plot point in Chainsaw Man, another Jump manga running right now.

A big chunk of the supporting cast is wiped out by a bunch of Yakuza members with guns.

They also shoot the main heroine in the head, leaving her on the floor of a train. This... does not work out as well for them as you might think.

Of course, MHA does have a lot of heroes who can tank bullets, including Deku and Kirishima in 1-A, and a lot more heroes who can block bullets if they know they're coming, like Shoto and Momo.

Even if you can get your hands on a gun (which is more difficult in Japan) it's no guarantee you'll win, especially with giants and hardening quirks being some of the most common combat-useful ones.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

Deku already had his arm trauma last season, he can't afford to have any more.

Wasn't Deku yanking jagged chunks of rock out of his arm this last episode?

I might just be conflating some other injuries, but I think he had a rock jammed into his arm.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Junpei posted:

"And, to nobody's suprise, the award for most mentally stable League of Villains member goes to Mr. Compress!"

Let's all give him a hand!

...bad time?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

His words were something like "Someone's true nature can't change so easily."

Which is why it was so important that Todoroki showing up was when he lost. Shoto's living proof that, in the words of the man who won the cold war, “If I can change and you can change, everybody can change."

Good shonen fights are often as much about philosophy as fisticuffs, and the Stain fight is a textbook example. Disproving a dude's beliefs is more important than breaking his bones, but when you can do both in the same actions? That's how you make good punchman shows.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

plot armor is when a character does something that, logically, should get them killed, but because they are the hero of the story/the plot can not progress unless they live, they miraculously don't die. it makes the events of the story feel arbitrary rather than engaging

Of course, looking at history shows a lot of people not dying when they "logically" should, which is a complication. And a lot of cases in shows are debatable depending on how charitable you're feeling.

All that said, yeah. It's a thing, and more than that, it's a thing where most people accept a certain amount of it without any issue, but as it gets more prominent, it hurts suspension of disbelief and tension.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I think there's a difference between "miraculously not dying" and scoffing at someone surviving a fight in a story and then declaring it was due to plot armor/

Plot armor is useful as a general shorthand for the boost main characters get in most shows and comics. It's a way of noting that if, for example, your name is on the book, the same bomb that kills background grunts just leaves you injured. It's not about the character's listed abilities (like Kirishima being unbreakable) as much as it's about their importance to the story.

The problem comes when it stops being a description of a narrative phenomena to a criticism of the base concept.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

There was also that kid with a gun from the Summer Camp arc who had the unfortunate luck to facing off against Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu.

And in the first movie, people tried to shoot Deku.

Didn't really work out!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Nephthys posted:

I never doubted that Tobi would be Obito and I'll never doubt Dad for One theories or Dabi Todoroki.

Dad for One is a popular theory that's mostly built off of circumstantial evidence and gut feeling. That said, people saying it can't be true because some omakes and guidebooks say otherwise are being naive.

See, Dabi's a good one to bring up because it's basically the opposite of Dad for One as far as the evidence goes. We keep getting increasingly large hints at there being some story behind Dabi, and that it connects somehow with the drama from the other fire powered characters.

Meanwhile, the evidence for Dad for One is that we haven't seen Deku's dad, and "Star Wars?". To the limited extent there's been anything referencing it, it's been negative. There's been no odd glances from All for One to Deku, no talk about how Deku's dad stopped sending letters after All for One was arrested, no nothing. There's probably going to be something done with Deku's dad, but I'd think there'd be more groundwork if that was going to be the reveal. I'd sooner bet on Uraraka and Shigaraki being related since they both need to use all five fingers for their quirks.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

What hints have we gotten with dabi

Well, the main one is him being the only member of the league of villains whose name is still unknown, and who very specifically didn't meet Endeavor. But we also hear things like that one year a work study went really bad, and Dabi joined up after Stain's speeches, when Stain was noted as going after the former number 2 hero.

It's not thick on the ground, exactly, but there's enough to hint something's going on.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kild posted:

ah his parents dont matter... but his grandparent...

Horikoshi pulled that one before Star Wars too. We haven't had much about Shigaraki's parents in the anime. It's his grandma that matters.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

Goku's father is All Might

And All Might's father is Denji.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lord_Magmar posted:

He’s also significantly bigger and stronger in situations where powers are inappropriate or impossible to use, and his upper strength limit likely exceeds Deku’s Maximum safe use limit, even if Deku can just break his own body to go beyond that.

Also probably more able to take a beating and keep going.

Considering Deku keeps fighting with pretty much every bone in his body broken as a default, I'd bet against this one.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

because if you told me she is 6 years old, i would believe you, and her established personality is "wildly in love with an incredibly old guy" which as of this last episode he apparently reciprocates

having to spell this out feels weird

She's 21, and Gentle is 32. He's just got that Steve Martin prematurely aged look, and she's barely taller than Mineta.

So, yeah, I can see a bit of awkward, but it's meant to be a much narrower gap than an initial glimpse might suggest.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Right then. She's naked so often because her power melts her clothes, and she's not easily embarrassed, so messing about with spare clothes would be a lot of effort without much benefit.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

I think Nighteye's Quirk would've been less annoying if it was based on probability. Shonen manga are all about that "Oh no, he has a 99.9% chance of victory!" "I'm going to bank on that 0.01%!" mentality.

I'm now remembering the scene in Gurren Lagann where the impossibly advanced computer is told to not tell them the odds, because if there's any chance, they'll manage!

It turns out it was a 0% chance.

And they did it anyway.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Tenebrais posted:

Gentle's the kind of person who cares deeply for the people close to him but clearly doesn't extend that to anyone else. Still, he isn't cruel at all, and doesn't particularly want to hurt anyone in pursuit of his fairly selfish dream. A True Neutral character. Or should I say Fabulous Neutral.

La Brava puts too much of herself into her crushes and clearly has terrible taste in men. Although her quirk might be an influence on that. Her depression mode reminded me a lot of Madeline from Celeste.

I love them both.

I'm not sure I'd say Gentle doesn't care for strangers. He got in trouble the first time for (loving up big time when) trying to help someone he never met, and he makes a point with most of his crimes to have some grand social purpose, even if the social purpose is dumb and doesn't actually help anyone.

He's trying to help people, in his way. It's just that his way tends to... not help.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

So the old top 10 was.

1. All Might
2. Endeavor
3. Hawks
4. Best Jeanist
5. Edgeshot
6. Crust
7. Yoroi Musha
8. Wash
9. Ryukyu
10. Gang Orca.

So, Mirko's gone from not on the list to fifth place in one go, leaping over everybody except the top five in one jump?

Man. That rabbit has vicious streak a mile wild.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Eej posted:

Glad they made my boy Hawks as flashy as ever. He's the best hero because he has the most idealistic goal: to make a society where heroes can complain about being bored because everything is peaceful.

He also has funnels from Gundam as his power, which means his soul is unbound by gravity.

Always handy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

oh jay posted:

I liked when All Might punched that child so hard he threw up and then punted him through a building.

The wisdom of Ein Dalton is always applicable.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Technowolf posted:

I really think they made him first because he's the only one who got any characterization beyond "is a bad guy".

Apparently, Horikoshi included recap art with the DVD release where Tentacole just explodes at Chimera about how he's a whiny rear end in a top hat.

It's pretty great.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

I know one person thought this with Endeavor. He is absolutely at his far and away worst in his introduction and never that awful again. They figured Hori just made a mistake and regretted it at once.

The interesting thing with Endeavor is that, whenever we get flashbacks to Shoto specifically, he is that bad. It's more like "This is Endeavor at his absolute worst, this is the sin he needs to atone for" than it is with Bakugo, who's significantly less of an rear end in a top hat in flashbacks than in the first couple volumes.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Hunt11 posted:

If Toriyama can run into the issue I think anyone is at risk of being edited.

Anyone except Tatsuki Fujimoto.

Editors are as important as writers for determining how much will change, and they vary in intensity of suggestion as much as they do in style. Some editors (Shihei Rin) trust their writers enough that they accept what comes even if they talk to the mangaka about what might be good. (Chainsaw Man's protagonist came partially from a discussion about where all the horny as hell protagonists went and how to bring one back without being incredibly sexist.)

Moving away from editors to the target demographics, though, Shonen Jump actually has a huge female readerbase, to the point where titles like Haikyū!! have, at times, had female readers in the majority. The problem there is that female readers in Japan, in general, get their female protagonist needs covered by other magazines most of the time. If they're reading a comic in a boy's magazine, it's probably for the boys. (And, in the case of the Fujos, to draw doujins about the boys kissing).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

I mean, even within MHA, you've got a variety in fanservice.

For example, when the girls are in cheerleading outfits, that's presented as awkward and embarrassing for them. Meanwhile, Toga can be naked as the day is long and not even blink, and Mirko shots are treated as a coincidence of camera placement while she's kicking rear end.

Or, to go with a series with a cameo in MHA's manga, you can look at Chainsaw Man, which is very, very horny, but it gives the female characters agency. Instead of a "Eeek! You saw me naked!" reaction scene, it's "So... you wanna get naked?".

A lot goes into how skeevy a scene feels beyond a simple "Fanservice: Y/N" mark. I know that sometimes just sighing, wiping your hands of the whole affair, and moving on is best, but going into more detail can sometimes make it easier for you and others to understand why something works or really, really doesn't. (Like "This scene feels skeevy because it's just Momo being taken advantage of." or "It feels like the joke here is less about Midnight being scantily clad, and more about how awkward that makes other characters in the scene, while she's having the time of her life.")

In conclusion, Libya is a land of contrast. Thank you

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Mirio proved he wasn't One For All material in the alleyway.

Yep. And then he made up for it in the base. Mirio is a genuine hero, but he didn't have that last spark.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Vinylshadow posted:

Wasn't Mirio also worried about collateral damage if the fight had spilled out into the street?

Yeah, he had good excuses for making the wrong call, even if he agreed it was the wrong one later.

He is a hero, and a good one. But he lacks the madness that drives Midoriya and Toshinori, and that madness is what makes All Might... All Might.

It's even in his hero name. He's admitting up front that he has limits, where All Might succeeded (and broke himself) by acting like he didn't have any.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

surf rock posted:

- I loathe Mineta and don't really care about Denki, but from reading the discussion here, it sounds like Deku would be stuck as the terminally horny character in their absence, so I guess they serve the role of keeping me from hating Deku.

It's more likely that another background character would take up the role. It's not something that really fits with Deku's awkwardness around girls (and in general).

As I think I said upthread, Shonen Jump had been moving away from horny main protagonists (off and on) for a while before MHA. Giving the role to supporting cast means the writer can still get the same gags, but without as much risk of making people dislike the lead.

(The big recent exception is Chainsaw Man, but it handles things much better than Mineta, and Chainsaw Man... takes certain risks as a default setting.)