Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I heard about this and more than anything in the past couple of years this has me thinking about getting into VR again lmao... any trip reports on this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I did end up splurging on a Quest 3 (after telling myself it wasn't an impulse purchase because I read reviews and this thread first lol).

This is after my last VR purchase was a PSVR1 which I got because it was on clearance sale, and deciding not to get the PSVR2 because that expense for such a small walled garden seemed bad.

Coming from that: the tetherless + passthrough experience is so freeing and finally feels like I can just boot up VR to mess around for a short time without it being a whole to-do and entering the isolation chamber lol.

The mixed reality intro game was pretty neat -- I don't foresee MR being that great for "core" games but it looks like it's having success in the types of games where I'd want it -- rhythm games where 3d space and body movement are important but I don't really need to be completely immersed in another world. (I did get Samba de Amigo lol, I am pretty happy with it except there's one power-up effect which suddenly makes it look like you're zooming forward and that was not great for my vertigo lol). The other thing I would really to see are strategy or similar games where the board or diorama is something that can actually sit on my table. I remember there being games like Moss that did the diorama thing but having that in mixed reality could be neat.

Feeling pretty happy with the purchase so far, I'm planning to build a new computer in January and I'll probably look into getting PC VR games running. And once the honeymoon period with new tech is over and if it still gets a lot of use, I guess I'll start thinking about picking up those accessories and extras everyone talks about lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Feels like the wildest coincidence that I started playing DANCERUSH STARDOM in the arcades a few months ago and "We have Dancerush at home" is coming to VR?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9ko0VclLLQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWMQAL241Rk

I feel like i'd be worried strapping controllers to my feet though lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

How useful are those prescription lens inserts for the Quest 3?

I was pleasantly surprised at how few issues I've had wearing my glasses with the headset, but also if I'm going to be gaming for longer because of how convenient it is, maybe that extra comfort might be worth it lol?

How easy are they to install and remove?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

It needs to be in the OP at the top in big bold letters

IF YOU WEAR GLASSES BUDGET A LENS PURCHASE

lol i just ordered mine today... i guess i am committing to this, now i have to choose the next game to buy after Samba de Amigo since I got a 25% discount coupon apparently

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Where can you get LASIK for 60 bucks

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Kwolok posted:

I'm dumb and afraid of purchasing the wrong thing, can you give me a link?

https://vr.zenni.io/quest/products/quest-3?utm_source=meta&utm_medium=website

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Oh yeah should I get Thrill of the Fight or Knockout League, or "other"

I am learning boxing stuff "irl" but I would also want a fun game in addition to any workout/simulation aspects

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Beastie posted:

Thrill of the Fight whoops my rear end. Very engaging, very active.

Luckily the silicon face cover I have for Quest 2 fits on my 3 because I hate how sponges the foam feels when sweaty.

Zero VGS posted:

Thrill of the Fight seems to be more applicable to irl boxing while also being the most brutal cardio out of all the VR games in existence. And it's half the price of Knockout League and Creed. Knockout League is more of a polished Punch-Out style pattern game.

lol it being so cheap made me just impulse purchase based on this.

Giving stats on your punches by type and hand seems really useful. Also this is a really great application for MR lol, the last time i tried a melee combat game in VR i was constantly paranoid of whether i was going to run into something or hit something in the real world but being able to see those surroundings while playing feels so much better and I can focus

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Wow Synth Riders is a real drain on the battery... maybe the MR mode uses more?

I hadn't really thought I would need a battery strap but hmm

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

That Dance Dash game she's playing in other videos is still the thing I want the most lol

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7291522927592361258

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Isn't there a VR mech game where you're basically doing the Pacific Rim synchronization

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Not sure how many of ya'll losers have trackers and stuff but this games really fun.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2005050/Dance_Dash/

Neat how an accessory company ended up making a game. :D

I have been considering this but I am waiting for Quest 3 straps I guess? Also I don't know how it plays without having one of the full body trackers

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

lol yeah according to the videos for the quest it uses visual hand tracking for hand moves.

In other apps the hand tracking is actually pretty good (at least for positioning) so i could see that working

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I got a 128gb Quest 3 for non-PC gaming and I haven't had any problems with the storage space, I have about a dozen games installed and still plenty of overhead

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Wallace and Gromit in VR?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYPJThnn5aE

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I refunded this after like 20 minutes with it on the Quest 3...

It seemed like bog-standard "pick up object and put it somewhere else" manipulation puzzles... and the framey animation doesn't read like stop-motion in VR, it reads like it's struggling to render the characters even if that's not what it is lol. But I probably would have tried more but the controls seemed really wonky, like the basic initial "wave your hands to get past the first tutorial step" was a real pain to get through? If I wasn't just playing other VR games like Eleven Table Tennis that had flawless tracking I would have started to think the controllers were having issues but oh well

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

How do you track your health though

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is there a music app on the Quest? Something that would run in the background during another app like 11TT lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Kwolok posted:

I have noticed with my quest 3 that passthrough has gotten more "Jittery"? I am not sure why its happening...

In the past week twice my headset has just lost position and I've "fallen" through the real world in MR lol?

The headset did fall three feet from a table once

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I had to stop playing Asgard's Wrath 2 after 5 minutes because i got motion sickness lol, we'll see how it is when I go back in with maximum comfort options enabled.

I guess it's good I feel like I already got my money's worth with mixed reality/single space experiences because I think I'm really unable to play anything where motion is not directly mapped to my own body moving lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I'm a PS5 owner but yeah the walled garden software aspect of PSVR2 was enough to make me not consider it in favor of the Quest 3, let alone the inferior lenses and tethered aspect, also it was more expensive than the Quest 3

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

weird... I use the Quest 3 consistently in the same room of my house which doesn't change and once a week it just forgets the boundary completely and makes me draw it again

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Danith posted:

Can you play against bots in Eleven Table Tennis, or do you have to play against people?

i have only been playing against bots, lol after about a month or so i am still only able to defeat the second-easiest bot out of 6

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I'm on the Quest 3, is there some kind of app that analyzes the hand tracking functionality of the controllers?

This has been something I've noticed a bit in a few games where it seems like trying to hit things to my side or in my peripheral vision seem much less accurate -- it's something I've noticed in a couple of rhythm games when they say "We're gonna be more precise in this level" and then I start dropping a lot of notes that are in the corners, or in Eleven Table Tennis when I stretch out for a ball and from my perspective it looks like the ball just phases through the paddle out of the corner of my eye...

It seems anecdotal right now but it's happened enough that if there's some way to check it that would be cool... I have dropped the controllers and the headset at least once lol. Want to see if there's some issue with that... or maybe my brain....

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

BrainDance posted:

Do you guys have grips on your Quest 3 controllers? I'm wondering if that's it. I noticed mine losing the tracking more after I put them on, maybe, but I had my Quest 3 for like a couple days before getting them so I may just not have noticed it then.

But I thought maybe, because without the rings the majority of the controller is obscured in at least some way.

I do not have grips and have the tracking issue... it's happening in enough games that i am twisting my head around to face my hands all the time to try to alleviate it lol.

With a game like Synth Riders I can alleviate it by choosing options to make the targets more generous but something without options like Audio Trip I'm just at a hard wall. I stopped playing Crazy Kung Fu because it felt too unresponsive but I realize now that it may have been a hardware issue lol.

And it feels really bad in something like Eleven Table Tennis because it is generally fine for most of the time you're playing but it's on the difficult volleys where I'm stretching out that I get screwed over that it really saps the desire to keep playing

I can see why they might have wanted to cut costs because if you got this headset and didn't play anything that required that level of fidelity you might not notice, but i mainly got this for rhythm and action games...

If getting controllers with self-tracking would help I might do that, but it would have to be a whole lot better to spend what is like more than half the price of the quest 3 itself, jesus loving christ.

Homeless Friend posted:

They’re god tier accurate but also heavier, rechargeable but presumably have a shorter battery life (never really tested this when i had access to em) since they’re actually doing the compute onboard like a headset does lol.

hmm....

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah... even though I kinda wanted to try that Horizon VR game, it was a bigger factor for me that I am going to build a PCVR-capable machine so getting in Sony's garden would be the most limiting overall

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxHu_QgUEp4
Blacktop will release the 1.0 version soonish.

How does dunking work in VR lol, I am trying to imagine how you simulate getting that air off a jump without it completely wrecking my vestibular system

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

explosivo posted:

I always preferred synth riders over beat saber for the same reason. Beat saber just feels like rhythmic flailing to me whereas synth riders sometimes felt vaguely like you were doing a dance.

Yeah this is the main thing for me, I found that the harder Synth Riders got, not only did you have to sync up better and better to the beat and melody, it was actually rewarding to be conscious of your momentum as you shifted from one note to the other and that's what helps it feel like you're dancing. Beat Saber, especially in the DLC, max level gets lost in the sauce of just slamming stuff on the screen.

Also Synth Riders on Quest just has custom tracks normally which has been a huge plus lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

AccountSupervisor posted:

One of the funnier things about Supernatural for me is the song library being pretty diverse and awesome, some of them have incredibly bleak subject matter and it creates a hilarious mental dissonance, IE Last Resort by Papa Roach. I remember doing a nuMetal boxing one with Down with the Sickness on it and had a good laugh when they cut it off before the child abuse bridge. Or when the coaches talk about Chesters suicide in the Linkin Park series. Just a strange Black Mirror-esque feeling in those moments.

This has actually piqued my interest lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is that stress sweat or exercise sweat lol?

I also ended up getting a Supernatural subscription after the recommendations upthread lol. It really fills a specific niche in terms of having music I recognize, minimal world motion or flashing lights to trigger vertigo, and movements that feel dancey enough to push my rhythm game buttons (something which Beat Saber surprisingly fell out of constantly for me lol). And honestly I appreciate how unrealistically peppy all the coaches are

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

oh how is the new cosmic smash

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

EbolaIvory posted:

Pick up synth riders if you want a non beat saber game to play that can work you out, is fun, and has decent music.

Audio trip is trash. Always has been always will be.

I had to give up on Audio Trip specifically because of the Quest 3's dismal controller tracking plus a forced level with "even more precise targeting" as a challenge lol.

Synth Riders is one of the best rhythm games on the platform for sure and allows you to easily import custom tracks without jumping through any hardware-level hoops

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

God I have extremely weak motion sensitivity still... Doin the underdogs tutorial and a couple of strafes and I had to lie down.

Is there a consumer version of that military anti vertigo stimulator lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Det_no posted:

You got a fan blowing air in your direction?

Yeah, I learned that trick early lol. It helps with games that have constant forward motion like Synth Riders or Pistol Whip.

But Underdogs asked me to turn my body around irl while also strafing with the controls and uh... my inner ear did not like that lol