Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I find it surprising, but I don't really like the index controllers much.

Maybe I'd feel differently if there was a "how to use the index controllers the way they were designed", and I don't mean the hand lab.

I mean, for the longest time I rested my thumbs on the touchpads, which feels natural to do when my hand is at rest, and wondered why the menus never scrolled right. :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Just going to take practice I guess.

(Which is a funny thing to say about using a controller intended to be used as though it was not there.)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah I have boosters, printed a pair myself from Valve's design.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That's well put. I played through Alyx with Oculus controllers and as an overall general statement I really preferred the "predictability" of the input.

I played with the index controllers afterwards expecting them to be way better (and they are in some ways), yet there I am like a goober outside Russell's STILL practicing how to use the gravity gloves and it just never really feeling natural.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Vive Focus 3 sounds boss, but it's the business focused one not (currently) aimed at consumers.

If it gets wireless steamvr integration/streaming then hoo nelly. Expensive, but really well done from the sounds of it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Rectus posted:

I sure would love to be a huge douchebag and become rich by exploiting my friends.

I remember reading once from the guy who came up with the jog wheel on the original iPod, replying to some career advice about working at Apple.

It boiled down to "if you want to work to fulfill impossible design decisions (no piece of music is more than three clicks away) then go work for Steve Jobs. If you want to actually come up with a solution (the jog wheel) and have Steve himself tell you it's "poo poo", only to have him take and suggest your own idea back to you later like it was his own, then yes, by all loving means, go work for Steve Jobs." I always wondered if it was actually true, but either way it's pretty much Jobs.txt

E: or young Steve Wozniak making a breakout game & Jobs telling him he could sell that and they'll split the money 50:50. He sold the rights and handled Wozniak like $300 as his half. Wozniak many many years later completely by accident found out he got totally screwed -- it was sold for WAY more than his friend claimed at the time.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 30, 2021

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Yeah the resin is really a reward for exploring, a usable amount is laying around, but the rest is something to get from nooks and crannies.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Broose posted:

Yeah. I assumed something like pushing it down or lifting it up, but it doesn't wanna move at all like that either. Which is why I am so confused by it.

Edit: Found out while nearly breaking them pushing down. Gotta push the metal bit INWARDS toward the buttons. Couldn't see that happening in the tiny video for ants.

I felt the same way when I first got my index, seems asking for problems that they haven't changed it since.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
This is an offsite thing but this post on reddit is kind of interesting.

OP confesses to indulging in dumb stuff in VR like talking back to (non-interactive) characters in games, and it turns out that actually quite a lot of people seem to do the same!

e: Also makes me think whiteboards and markers should be mandatory in every VR game

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jul 12, 2021

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Isn't that an entirely different thing though? The deca move is basically a hip tracker, I thought. Unless I misunderstood the locomotion talk about treadmills, etc.

With the move, body orientation and therefore movement direction can be unlocked from player point of view and/or controller direction. Something that doesn't really exist yet.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I have written on my calendar to expect my early order of the Deca Move back in June, but that's true of a couple other things too, now :v:

I hear you about it not being really clear up front what the move "is", exactly.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Speaking of triggers

It bugs me that in Alyx the pistol doesn't fire at the trigger break that the controllers have, and the pistol's virtual trigger instead breaks at an indeterminate feeling point before the controller's physical break :mad:

Maybe there's a mod or something to fix that.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Haha holy poo poo, Walkabout Mini Golf is the bee's knees :radcat:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Everyone's different but it's still a bit weird for me to read people not liking Superhot VR. I thought it was an absolutely fantastic game that really "worked" well in VR. I really enjoyed it.

It also was a big learning experience for me when I let a buddy try it and he would just inevitably speed up and do things super fast, leading me to worry he would punch a wall or something despite the generously-spaced guardian I had set up. Personally I am always hyper-aware of both the guardian and the fact that I am in a limited space. Other people -- apparently -- not so much!

The same buddy enjoyed it a lot but when it teleported you to a window ledge with big letters DEMONSTRATE YOUR COMMITMENT show up in midair he noped out quick :pressf:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Wait, you can use the playstation controller's gyro for aiming in Skyrim :psyduck:

How did I have no idea this was possible?

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
One of my big takeaways from some developer commentary was that shock scares & jump scares are WAYYYYY too easy to do in VR. Easy as in "the player really is handicapped in many ways, and it's super easy to take advantage of that in an unfair way."

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Party Boat posted:

Does anyone else like putting their headset on just outside the guardian so they can step forward and see the real world melt into the virtual one? No? Just me then.

That's my favorite thing to have people do when I get them to try my headset!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Weird

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Separate from any of that, I think toggle called "skip disturbing scenes" is so vague as to be meaningless.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Not anymore they're not! :grin:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
A no kidding potential career change direction for me is leveraging the 100% human needs of horny nerds.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
  • Fly on a broom
  • Deliver pizzas like frisbees (magic helps them land safely)
  • Find hidden dead drops for potion pickup/dropoff
  • Taxi cats and other familiars around as needed (human passengers? Faugh!)
  • Wand-zap pesky clouds to divert bad weather

I think there's options in this space :yayclod:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Sure I hate Facebook, but someday I'm not going to be able to afford to ignore one of the biggest players in the industry :effort:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
In VRchat you can easily, with the touch of a button, totally and completely disappear someone from your perception entirely, and even that will never be enough for some people. They have to get into a screaming match or whatever.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

SCheeseman posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LniHnza8WZY
Vermillion is out. I've always been fascinated by Bob Ross, this seems like a great low-cost zero risk way of painting happy little trees! Not made evident by the trailer is the ability to watch place a web browser window in your space, allowing you to follow along with video tutorials on Youtube.

Yessss I'm always interested in painting stuff but the ability to stick a browser window in your space is :hf:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Leal posted:

When you open the steam menu in game, open up one of your windows and then on the right side of that lower bar you'll see a button for each controller. Clicking on one of them will dock that window to your wrist

Thanks for this; I only occasionally use Steam VR and I still find the Steam VR interface stuff hella confusing sometimes & frequently can't figure out what is where and how to do what I'm after.

I needed to redefine the room because a lighthouse unit got bumped at some point, and not only was that hard to figure out how to start, but in the HMD you see something to the effect of "OK, standby" and I waited there like a dummy for ages with no idea that the instructions and interface were now on the PC monitor waiting for me :saddowns:

Occasional use only of the Index is a pain. This is compounded by the fact that nothing ever really spells out how you are actually intended to use the index controllers. Like, for the longest time I was resting my thumbs on the touchpads (which is very natural to do) but that fucks up using scrollable menus badly with no idea what you're doing wrong, and so on.

e: Just the other day I fired up a game that was telling me "Press the A button" but there's no virtual controller in-game -- and I'm like, gently caress, you know I can't actually see my hands, right? I don't know which of the four buttons is A, but pushing the wrong one did something and uggghhh

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jul 28, 2021

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
That's really cool; nice work!

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Vermillion is pretty cool, but the brushes don't quite work like real ones, and I think the blending on the canvas happens too aggressively (there is a setting and it's already minimized) but the program's pretty cool overall.

I'm no painter but I maked this, it was a chill time
Thanks to Bob Ross in a docked browser window :sun:

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 31, 2021

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I’m no painter but *shows an amazing looking painting*

I’d say you’re doing ok friend

Hah, thanks but I think it's about 90% credit to Bob Ross and 10% the fact that I work with my hands so using a brush isn't a totally weird alien thing for me -- without following along with a Bob Ross video (and being able to pause, etc easily) I'd have no idea where to start, or how to mix which colors. No way I'd make something like that from scratch on my own.

Rectus posted:

It would be really cool if that had a function so you you could directly take your paintings and hang them in your SteamVR home.

:aaa: that would be super cool.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jul 31, 2021

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

So after playing on and off for a week, I beat the game. This is 100% a horror game cleverly disguised as a shooting game. I did not expect it to go how it did, and certainly didn't expect it to get as dark and hosed up as it got. I got the "Canon Ending". Apparently, there are 7 endings in total, and I can't imagine what I can do differently to trigger the other endings but I'm gonna try.

According to Steam, I played 75 minutes to get to the Canon Ending, so I'd call this probably an 8-10 hour game depending on how hard/long the path to the other endings is.

Another really good game from Stress Level Zero.

Things I didn't learn until way too late in the game:

1) You can watch all of the VHS tapes by throwing them at the VCR
2: You can pull the Duck Season cartridge out of the console and play the other games laying around

I have a (unplayed so far) copy of the flatscreen version that I picked up on a big sale before I had a VR headset, but so far as I can tell the PC and VR versions are different programs and I don't like the prospect of having to buy the VR version separately :mad:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I haven't actually fired up the 2D version yet to confirm it doesn't have VR hidden or something, but it sure looks like they are different versions:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I get where you're coming from, but you really need to go watch their F8 presentations on VR hardware. They know full-well where they want to go and are proceeding at a pretty consistent clip to get there. They already have an internal Quest iteration with facial tracking that looks pretty far along.

Yeah the research and poo poo coming from Facebook in this space is amazing. They absolutely are doing the work far beyond what you see on the Quest, which is itself an amazing device for what it does.

I just never would have believed Facebook of all places was where it was going to be coming from.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Sliding movement feels weird and hosed up to me, it's one of those things that I can't believe others tolerate. Then again, I acquired a balance problem (like, my inner ear is hosed up) just in time for VR to actually happen so :confuoot:

Aside from anything else, Alyx was not only amazing but also absolutely felt like a half life game. It's an incredible achievement.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I saw a video recently of a flight simulator where the cockpit and view is virtual, but the "dashboard" was a camera view blended in to the virtual cockpit. Meaning that when you reached your hard to touch a control, you saw your hand interacting with the actual switch or whatever (on a 2d plane, but still)

It sure looked like the control panel was an inserted camera view of an actual physical, functional control panel sitting in front of the pilot. But it could have just as easily been a small greenscreen with a virtual one (you'd lose the tactile element though).

Reminded me of a project called tinker pilot which is a VR ship simulator with 1:1 mapping of controls to physical renderings of those controls (for example by 3d printing). I always loved that idea and I think it has a lot going for it.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Really good interview read, congratulations on your success :yayclod:

I really liked the point you made about avoiding interaction disappointment.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Cool, I just got a shipping notice for my Deca Move unit; so if anyone else is waiting it's probably close for you too. Anxious to try it out when it arrives.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
You know, this brings up something I really like about the original Quest: it's flat at the back. If I want to rest my head back against the headrest of my chair to watch something, I can. If I wanted to lie down with the headset and watch a movie or some trippy 3D stuff, I could. (I haven't yet, but I like that I could.) Can't do that with any other headset. The back of the Index (for example) bonks up against the headrest of my chair if I lean back too much.

It's a bit of a shame since the back is a sensible place to balance weight, etc. It just makes sense to put some junk in that trunk for a variety of reasons. But in some ways I really appreciate the flat back of the OG quest.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Huh, I had no idea those existed.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Does the Vive deluxe audio strap affect the Quest's audio?

The Quest as designed kind of pipes audio towards the user's ears from hidden speakers, and I like that a lot and don't want headphones. Could the DAS be used for the comfort of the strap only (and ditch the headphones?)

Someone's going to bitch at me for this so I'll say up front I use hearing aids and the piped audio from the Quest (or the off-ear speakers of the Index) are beautiful in their compatibility with my hearing aids so I don't want to lose that. I can't use headphones that cup over my ears, they make my hearing aids freak out and it's hella uncomfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Tom Guycot posted:

They made a marvel VR game a few years ago, if you haven't heard of it i'm not surprised it was a disappointment,

So much potential. Potential just flushed down the drain.

That does sound like a real shame. Development must have been a real disappointment in its own way as well.