Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'm really not happy with the build quality on the Rift S and would recommend a quest pretty much every day. Especially with that whole cable announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Most of the people who tried Quest Link could only really see a difference if they swapped headsets immediately after. At a general glance they thought it was perfectly fine.

I can tell immediately but I honestly just don't care about the graphics because they don't look that bad. Sure if you're a massive graphics over everything fan then sure you're going to care, but how many people in VR are here for the graphics?

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It also costs a solid £600 more so it loving better, tbh

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That's all poker is, really.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Time and practice mostly. I had to do it with literally every VR game i played.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

which one? is there an "easy" e+ song? Every now and then I go back to give one a shot and I just get immediately destroyed. You're crossing a lot more frequently and I swear the block lanes are farther / more spaced out so I start missing a ton.

DMX's x gon give it to ya is pretty ok. First song I did on E+, you'll fail a few times but its good practice.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

spacetoaster posted:

Has any company talked about two player VR stuff?

With the Quest could you have a buddy (also wearing a Quest) in the room with you also in the game?

I'm thinking of a shooting game like timecop or something might be good.

https://zerolatencyvr.com/

Not quite what you're after, but look at this.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, if i'm the passenger of a car i can now actually read texts and emails now. Before i'd just immediately want to hurl. Also helped my seasickness

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Zaphod42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nH5V8zfCYR8

This is that game I said made me kinda uncomfortable

The way you can grab them by the head and then knife them and it gets stuck, it looks even more gruesome than blade and sorcery.

And then if you jump to 5:00 there's a straight up Heavy Rain moment where one guy asks you to kill some other guy, and the other guy pleads for his life before you execute him.
That's too much, man!

And this doesn't even really look all that realistic. The characters are pretty stylized and cartoony, but... oof. Still a bit much.

I dunno, i don't particularly have strong feelings about shooting a fake dude but i can kinda see it? I guess? However as its a murderer who killed an 11 year old gently caress him use a bigger gun.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Hellsau posted:

Naw if the scared guy killed the bald guy's daughter, the bald guy would have killed the scared guy, not make you do it - obviously the bald guy is lying and you should shoot him instead of the scared guy.

Wasn't he about to do it when you come in? gently caress it shoot them all i guess.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Hellsau posted:

"I'm finally about to get my revenge against the man who murdered my child! Oh hello, I'm Tom Smith - would you like to murder my child's murderer? I would do it but uh....oh you're trespassing, yeah that's it. You're trespassing and if you want to make it right, you'll murder this man who I have very good reason to want to kill and you have just met!"

KillHour posted:

~~Videogame Writing~~

Roughly this. Videogame writing mostly just spoonfeeds people the truth even if its a poo poo way to write it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I think pistol whip just needs to visualise the beat more. I can do it fine now that i've played a bit but early on it was pretty rough trying to figure out what i was shooting to without going into the options

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

EbolaIvory posted:

Everyone is finding this out. And a lot of us warned people.

Roommate didn't listen either. Shes been in bed most of the day sore.

How? What weird rear end turns are you guys doing that you're hurting yourselves? I played for two hours yesterday and I feel fine.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Zaphod42 posted:

Limbo-ing under bullets like Neo.

Feels good and then... feels bad.

Oh right, I just stepped to the side :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
That just means you don't like cutscenes. I don't either but tons of people eat them up in games.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Dev's won't get better at making cutscenes in VR better without having to try it first. Give it time, bound to get better.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The movement in stormlands looks cool as hell but the combat looks bad

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Space is genuinely an issue for a ton of people.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Motion sickness is certainly an issue but the issue is (mostly) that developers were not providing enough haptic feedback. Or they were taking control away for the player and moving the camera which hits so many "no gently caress off barrrrf" levels in me.

Even Vader immortal has issues. Give me a rumble when I grab onto something and I stop feeling sick, but if you don't I have to move my feet and pretend i'm climbing a ladder to make my body think i'm moving.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Lone echo is ridiculously boring to me, so much time just slowly doing nothing

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

OctaviusBeaver posted:

"Even Cracked" lol

I want to bring this back

Because I agree lmao who the gently caress still reads cracked.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The worst things about HL2 were the physics puzzles. You can't change my mind

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

wolrah posted:

My girlfriend has just started playing HL2 for the first time ever and it's been quite interesting watching her learn to play as someone whose only first-person gaming experience is Minecraft. I remember being amazed by the physics puzzles back in 2004 when it was state of the art tech, but yeah it is kind of hilarious in hindsight seeing how many times they had segments that were just tech demos turned in to obstacles.

Yeah, it looks like they had some cool tech at the time and they never moved forward from it. With the storefront they never had to, either. The rest is history. Granted, I can still play through half life (the whole series) and kind of enjoy it, which means that they've definitely got something there, but goddamn i hate the puzzles.

E: Because someone mentioned it, I hadn't thought about the cutscenes. They're (almost) as bad.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
AMD isn't supported right now, i thought.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

repiv posted:

holy moley that must be a lot of $1000 headsets

Considering they control that list i'd read this with a heavy grain of salt.

I really want it to be the case, but i don't understand how apparently everyone has £900 that they can spare for when just the right VR game comes out.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

PantsBandit posted:

I was aimlessly browsing Quest games last night and came across the Arizona Sunshine trailer.

WOOF that game looks loving rough. The zombie models in particular are loving absurdly low-poly.

I've got the same problem with the climb. The environment looks good when you're looking behind you. The rock texture, the thing you're looking at 90% of the time?

OOF

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

mutata posted:

From what I understand, Oculus is super spotty with communication and especially promotion. Basically, if you're not Beat Saber then don't count on anything.

Yeah, even with their bigger products they barely seem to run advertising for it. It's really weird.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Lemming posted:

Haha for real? Jesus. The game is supposed to come out in 3 months, this is a bad time for lots of core mechanics to be temporary

It could also be old footage. You'd be surprised how often the footage that gets pumped out by publishing teams is like 6+ months old.

E: Oh man that was a really old post, mb

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

ShadowHawk posted:

Boneworks and Zero Caliber have the same problem which should be a major UI sin at this point: just because the player is in-game crouching via a button doesn't mean you should move the holster point away from where their real-life hip is.

Hah, funny this should get mentioned as I came across this same issue today.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
It's not like getting two is going to make him start going "drat I wish I had three, shame I can never do this now".

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Owlbear Camus posted:

a second-hand CV1 and a several year old mid-range gaming rig

Help i'm being doxxed.

I work in a place that lets me gently caress about with all current (and some historical) VR setups and while I can tell the difference, not having a lighthouse hasn't killed my home use, at least.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I actually played VR with a haptic feedback suit on yesterday. It's possible!

(I got shot a lot, it felt weird)

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Hadlock posted:

I do not accept your version of reality

You literally have to :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Bandana's work. Failing that you can just shave a giant dip into your skull, so the strap has a place to naturally fall.

Either or

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

I dunno his weak arms comment was pretty good :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jack Trades posted:

Do you also have a friend at Harmonix?

No, my friend is called Jim, with a G.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Over here in the void they drop off a rift and index every 10 minutes.

Still waiting on controllers.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
We hosed about with a feedback vest at work. I ended up trying to get shot in the back because it was like a nice massage, honestly :v:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tom Guycot posted:

Phantom stuff

Don't forget to find the little collectable crocs :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

They said bigger, not off. I'm in the same boat, i'd love to have a stationary boundary that was bigger, but i've instead just decided to do roomscale but sit in the middle.