Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Been following at least a couple of VR threads here, and got £400 to spend for a PCVR system. Thinking of buying a Quest and an extension cable though worried about getting tangled while moving around. Is it worth saving for an Index or buying the knuckles seperately (not that I've seen them for sale)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Gort posted:

I'd get the Quest. Might be you don't actually enjoy VR that much, then you've wasted £400, not the £919 an Index costs, and the Quest has the whole, "Play games without being tied up with a cable" aspect going for it, so you're not just getting an Index but worse.

Don't you need the cable to make the Quest PC ready?

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
Thanks for the replies, decided to go with a Rift S, mainly due to me having a decent enough gaming PC and the seemingly big improvement on gfx.

Is it worth buying an extender cable in case I start wrapping myself up and garotting myself with cable? I'll only be using VR in a 2m x 2m room.

RE: Facebook spy chat - I'd rather have targeted ads then untargeted ones, and I'm fairly sure that every website uses Google in some way and they've got similar government involvement. Not saying I don't care about privacy but it seems they've already got that info, so may as well resist the upcoming Skynet's intelligence as long as poss

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
Edit: Double post :(

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
Interrupting Facebook evils chat:

Got a Rift S, having a lot of fun apart from with the Oculus software - I had to manually (via command prompt) install to D:\ as I couldn't get enough space on my windows C:\ drive and then when I go to install games to D:\Oculus I'm told that location path isn't available. Any one else had something similar happen to them?

Looking forward to burning some calories to Thrill of the Fight that in retrospect I should have bought on Steam.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
The cable may improve my dancing/skipping skills.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Truga posted:

Oh yeah, assuming you're using NTFS (doh), you can actually mount a drive to a c:\something location like so:

This *should* help with your dumb oculus software problem in theory.

Thanks for this, though if I'm remembering correctly it doesn't allow you to change from C:\Oculus on the installer, so if I create a C:\Partition\ on my D: drive it would still see the same path, no?

Not that I've much xp with partitioning recently.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Truga posted:

Hey, I don't know what I was thinking earlier, I'm back home now and I remembered a much easier way of doing this. I just don't use windows a lot myself since the win2000 days I guess that's why I keep forgetting but you can use links to achieve the same thing. Links are basically same as shortcuts, but at the filesystem level, rather than application level.

You can type "mklink /d c:\oculus d:\oculus" into command line and it's going to make a symbolic link from c:\oculus to d:\oculus. You might need to start cmd as admin.

Unless oculus software is doing something incredibly dumb (very unlikely) this will work just as well as mounting the drive there, but with less hassle as it's just copy-pasting a single line. Also, you won't accidentally delete the entire D drive when hitting delete on the c:\oculus folder, so you should definitely choose this option :v:

My Oculus is on D:\Oculus , so I typed mklink /d D:\Oculus C:\Oculus and was told cannot create a file when that file already exists...that folder doesn't exist on C:\ :iiam:

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

pun pundit posted:

Swap the drive letters in your command line.

That made the link, but now the Oculus software is saying I've already added this location when I try to add it. Think I'm probably better off sticking with Steam and missing out on Echo Arena :'(

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Truga posted:

let oculus create that folder, close the software, then move it to d:\oculus and do the mklink thing

Well, I deleted the app, reinstalled, and it still decided that the library was on D:\Oculus as the unchangeable default. For some reason, with Oculus installed on C:\ it is now letting me install games to D:\Oculus . Beats me, but I ain't gonna moan. Now to get all sweaty with a boxer.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
Is there a VR equivalent to VLC for watching something in a personal theatre? Steam's option seems to be only for films downloaded via Steam, which doesn't help the files I already have.

Also, echoing whoever said that Thrill of the Fight is good cardio, man am I sweating after two rounds and wanting a towel.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Csixtyfour posted:

Anyone else having rift S issues? Mine keeps crashing with the error of display port is unplugged, doesnt matter the computer its hooked to. Tried reseating the cable in the headset and didnt help. Worked fine for 2 months, now its a $400 turd on my desk.

It happened to me too a few times, temporarily worked unplugging the USB and display ports then replugging them, got in touch with Oculus Support and they said delete all the files in C:\Users\Username\Appdata\ , \Appdata\Local\ and the rest then delete the Oculus software and reinstall, so far it's working *touches head as wooden object*

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Csixtyfour posted:

Thanks, tried this and still headset works for maybe a minute and crashes. Bunch of static in the speakers, guessing cable is bad?

Speakers hadn't been playing up on mine, so either the cable or the headset itself - either way I'd get in contact with Oculus and see about a replacement :(

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
Downloaded Q1 VR with HD textures, that was a blast from the past.

Someone on reddit posted a link to the Q3 maps that can be played in the Q1 engine, seems like it's the closest we've got to Q3 VR at the moment:

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/axm9vs/really_no_quake_3_vr_yet/

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

sigher posted:

I've purposefully taken a nap in VR on Deckard's couch in Blade Runner 9732.

Do you know anywhere I can get this? Your post was the first I'd heard of it. Seems it was taken down by some sorta cease-and-desist from Steam, even though the dude that made it had WB support.

Edit: Found it, didn't come up on my first search. For anyone else interested: https://br9732.quentinlengele.com/

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
While everyone is waiting for Squadrons to drop, noticed this fun shooter for the low price of free:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1363430/Propagation_VR/

It takes less than an hour on Normal, and there's no locomotion but it's a lot more polished than the trailer makes it look. Recommended.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

I ended up buying the Humble Bundle for Walking Dead even though I own virtually all the other games

As a result I have keys to give away!

I don't wanna just post em here in case some lurker or crawler bot scrapes em, so I guess first people to quote this post I'll send PM's to?

Zero Caliber
Creed
I Expect You To Die

Lemme know which you want and I'll cross it off, if nobody's interested then you can have multiple but I'd rather spread them around

Could I have I Expect You To Die? Don't have PM's but my email is martin.peel @ gmail.com

Cheers!

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Done and Done

Thanks goon sir, sending manbabies etc.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

axeil posted:

How much do I need to worry about smacking my controllers into walls/desks/etc? Have people ever broken their controllers from that?

I've done it a few times now in Beat Saber and given the Reverb G2 appears to not have any spare replacement parts I'm a bit worried. Controllers still seem to work find though, the plastic seems sturdy.

My Rift S controller got a crack after punching a wall, though it still worked. Had to restart everything and was a worrying moment, so I guess some worry about your playspace is right.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Lockback posted:

The one area where they might actually make some headway is VR, but I suspect its too small/inconsequential for anyone to care about. Otherwise they're going to have to argue that acquisitions that the FTC approved back when are suddenly invalid and that consumers have been damaged when no one is paying anyway.

My suspicion is this will have some vague rules that they have to be more transparent, some token fines, and one or two small things forced to spin off. Facebook is a fun target right now because liberals think they are directly funding white power groups and conservatives think facebook is targeting them for censorship, so it's the rare "Everybody Likes That" when you go after them. But going after facebook but giving 0 thought or effort to actual privacy laws (like what the rest of the world has) should tell you everything you need to know about the outcomes here.

They're quite public about taking down various "far-right groups" internationally, I don't see how that corellates with privacy?

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
If you're a fan of retroesque graphics and British oddballosity then Polybius is fun oldschool arcade, though not quite as good as the rest of their catalogue (which holds a special place in my heart).

Not played any of the others, yet.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

explosivo posted:

Ragnarock is a whole lotta fun for an air drumming guitar hero type rhythm game. I wish there was a way to change the angle of the hammers but I've been enjoying this immensely.

At the menu to start a song when you can choose to adjust the height of the drums, the next setting is for the hammer angle.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
My Quest 2 has started not connecting to the PC properly, saying graphics card not compatible (I have an AMD Radeon 580).

I was having connection problems before, tried loads of things with Oculus support before someone on Reddit said to rollback the drivers, to 20.10.1 which worked, then yesterday the graphics card not compatible error came up, and in headset I get the PC not detected error message.

Anyone had any similar problems/fixes?

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I sorta get where they're coming from, I bounced pretty hard off Payday 2 in VR due to the lack of smooth movement and controlling worse then everyone on a pancake. Still, I read (in this thread no less) that there's a patch that implements a few QOL fixes pretty well. Not got round to trying it yet (Quest 2 link not working) but worth a look for anyone on the fence.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Nalin posted:

That's a big one. If you don't have MU-MIMO, your devices on the network take turns communicating with the router. That means that if your cell phone starts to do something in the background, it can affect the latency of Virtual Desktop.

My friend actually bought a MU-MIMO tri-band router just so he could use Virtual Desktop with both his and his girlfriend's Quests at the same time and have no drop in latency whatsoever. No interference with other devices on the router.

Does this work when my PC isn't connected to the router via ethernet?

My link isn't working atm so I'd quite like Virtual Desktop to not have high latency for PCVR - which so far hasn't worked well due to lag, and the other people in the house wouldn't be too impressed if I disconnected their wireless.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
The devs are getting some prods to put FX3 in VR, 2 was fun but there's a lot of tables missing. Fingers crossed they listen to their fanbase.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

KTS posted:

I finished off the setup tutorial for VR pinball for those that were interested in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V0BVrNQ_U-U

Also other videos on the build are uploaded there if anyone is interested in seeing the process from start to finish

Could you (or anyone in the know) give a few pointers in getting PUPPacks up and running in VR? Itching to play Stranger Things but haven't been able to get the backglass and videos playing in vr space. Great quality on the walkthrough btw!

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

KTS posted:

I haven't played with it yet, I need to try and work out how. There technically is a guide on it, but it's about using PUPpacks on a single screen system and has no mention of VR at all so it may be some trial & error before I work it out. The guy who did Stranger Things is really talented and I'm keen to try out his other tables as well (Harry Potter and Pizza Time). GOTG, Munsters & TNA have also been recreated without emulating the ROM by using PUPpacks so want to try those as well.
The guide is here if you want to try and puzzle it out
https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/pup-packs-on-top-use-pup-packs-on-a-single-screen-desktop-view-fp-vpx-fx3-etc/#bbpress

Thanks, I'll give it a proper watch, though still unsure if this will transpose to VR properly, not seen any mention of it yet, fingers crossed it's compatible. Some great tables been made already, amazing bit of software VPX is.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5_Gzkiz5yA

Wanna shoot more plasmids!

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
Any recommendations from this bundle? https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/platinum-vr-collection-build-your-own-bundle

I've got my eye on Battlewake, looks half decent but the fact it's not been talked about much is a bit of a warning sign.

Polybius I've already got, and that's trippy old-school fun.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Lister posted:

I know there are some lurkers in the thread that haven't bought a headset. There's a goon selling his Rift S for $230 shipped. We've talked about how the quest 2 is better but it seems like a low enough price to be a good deal if you'd also end up getting a headstrap and cable.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963227

My Rift S worked nearly perfect, whereas my Quest 2 via Link keeps disconnecting every so often. The Rift S is a solid choice.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I copied the bin folder from the reshader prog on github into my bigscreen directory but I'm not noticing a difference. Is it just me or is there an install I've missed? Reddit didn't seem to mention one.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

King Vidiot posted:

I saw some gameplay of Synth Riders and it looked fun, but I'm a little concerned about how bad it is about swinging your arms too far overhead. I've whacked my ceiling fan's lights a few times in VR, once so hard it broke the globe off, and I'd rather not do that again so soon after I already fixed it.

I mean, I will do it again but I'd rather not play something that encourages it. Most games are fine, the two I've really had issues with are Superhot and Blade and Sorcery.

I've not played lots of tracks, but the ones I did play didn't have me swinging my arms above my head - about head height was as high as I was moving them.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Party Boat posted:

Quest 2 ordered! I already have a long USB to USB C cable that I use to connect my phone, as long as that's plugged into a USB 3.0 port I should be good, right?

Should be, though I was getting disconnect issues until I unplugged other devices that were on the same USB 3 card, just a heads up in case anyone else has that issue.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Bouchehog posted:

Anyone? I'm after a stationary left controller only game.

There are a couple of golf games that are one handed, and I believe you can play them stationary, can't remember the names but they should be easily found on the app store - the putting one in particular.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

priznat posted:

Anything worth going for in the new Humble VR bundle?

https://www.humblebundle.com/games/spring-into-vr-bundle

Job Simulator and Surgeon simulator look the most interesting to me.

Job Simulator is well-humoured, though I haven't played the update yet. Swords of Gurrah could be fun if done right, and as of right now it's 6p difference between the top two tiers so I'm gonna give Sairento and Borderlands 2 a go and see if they are as I heard they are (decent).

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Finished my second VR animation after working on it for about 10 months and uploaded it to Youtube last night, processing is done so you should be able to watch it in 4K60fps now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nnnvVdr08C0

First time using DAINAPP for AI frame interpolation to boost it from 30 FPS to 60, it worked well enough that I generally can't tell the difference between a real frame and a fake one. Last animation was in 30 FPS and I don't think it really works for VR, you get a severe jittering effect if anything gets too close to you whereas it's generally not noticeable at 60. Only problem came at the very end when the app got confused and started outputting nonsense frames so I had to render the last 30 seconds or so in proper 60 FPS.

What is everyone using for a 360 degree video player? I have SkyBox, BigScreen, and DeoVR but they tend to be more IMAX theatre experiences...this video looks cool as so would be good to drift my trippy balls and watch.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

That video in particular can be seen with just the Youtube app.

The Youtube VR app? That just displays a small screen in front of me, not the 360 I've read about.

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Don't know about any of those, I just use VLC if I'm watching it on my computer monitor. For VR I have an Oculus Quest so whatever that's using natively.

Video compression has been an issue for me in the past but I think Youtube's algorithm doesn't hammer it quite as much if it's a 4K video so it looks alright this time around. If it's still looking a bit muddy I can probably upload the high quality version somewhere for direct download, it's only around 4GB.

I'm on a Quest 2, not seen much of a native video player, I'll take another look. On Youtube on monitor the video is high quality, though it stuttered to hell and back playing on BigScreen on 4k on my GPU.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

No for 180 or 360 videos...

I can drag my mouse to look around in 180 and 360 vids (or the touch controller the same in vr) but not in the sense that I'm actually in the video, turning my head to look around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004

Turin Turambar posted:

...what mouse?

I'm talking of the Quest youtube vr app.

My bad, I was trying the Steam Youtube VR app which doesn't do VR vids, the Quest Oculus browser worked as I was expecting VR videos to look.

Edit:

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Might be different for me because I'm loading the MP4 onto my Quest and playing it directly from internal storage. Didn't actually have time to check to see if the Youtube version is playing smoothly at 4k60fps before I had to leave for work today, I'll check it when I get home and maybe work on uploading a different version if it's too choppy. Some loss in quality is expected from the compression but I don't want it stuttering constantly if it can be avoided.

This was really well made, and ran smooth as silk on the Quest 2 compared to through BigScreen like the noob I was.

Desdinova fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Apr 9, 2021