Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005
Don't take me for an ordinary man

Brownie posted:

It's weird you're still being a dick when you were _just_ being snide about something you're clearly not an expert in.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3916946#post508941144

For anyone else it would be weird! For Zaphod42, it's Tuesday. Disregard and move on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Reminder to someone clearly unaware was the intent but I'll cop that it was phrased dickishly, at a time when extra care should have been taken to avoid doing so. I return to Not Posting for the benefit of all. *dickish post-apology bon mot that further inflames the situation would normally go here*

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Just picked up the Quest 2 with the elite strap and I'm about ready to get ahead of the inevitable, pack the strap straight back into the box and find a third party solution.

After reading about the ups and downs of the strap's durability for a while, holding it in person just makes me wonder how these absurdly flimsy side brackets don't crumble under normal usage. I've never felt anything feel less sturdy and I've used several Playstation branded peripherals!!

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

It doesn't make sense to monolithically refer to 'Facebook' in statements as if the word itself is enough context.

Oculus got to where it was by pulling in strong names with big ideas, Facebook's money brought in more, but what we haven't seen yet is what happens when the R&D team that got them this far end up swapped out for company men who have no idea where to go next beyond what the algorithm tells them people respond to.

When you say 'Facebook' has control of the market it doesn't ring true because they literally just stuck their sign over the company that got them this far and the glue is barely dry. If/when Facebook drain VR talent, which they inevitably will as they shift to money-making mode, a significant window of fuckery will open up and the missteps that follow will allow for plenty of shots at rival devices.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Should have clarified in my earlier post that I fully agree that a) Facebook bad and b) Oculus now Facebook, the only point I was trying to contest is that the Quest 2 is the end of a mostly Carmack-fuelled mobile push that went against the grain of what people thought was the best thing to do and paid off handsomely. This new company that's just Facebook wearing the skin of Palmer Luckey can coast on the innovations of these now-absent people but that's only going to get them as far as maybe one or two more incremental refreshes before it's time for them to prove themselves as a company on their own merits.

In short, I don't expect them to succeed! So I'm not ready to assume Facebook has the market locked down until we see them shoot for the new big leap internally and not completely gently caress it.

Super Foul Egg fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Aug 4, 2021

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Sounds like a normal take for a first time VR user who presumably has read a lot of content from long term users that take the universal flaws for granted.

Both of those issues are down to the way the lenses work. Fresnel lenses cause bloom around bright objects and the area of clear viewing is called the 'sweet spot', which can be larger or smaller depending on the way the headset is designed. You get around it by learning to do exactly as you said, turn your head to things directly rather than swivel your eyes around the scene. It becomes subconscious soon enough.

If you feel the visuals lack punch and contrast it's the Quest 2's LCD screens, they're good compared to what's come before but still more or less what you'd expect to find in a headset (or phone, or tablet) of that price range. If it's the resolution, you're sitting at the front of the mainstream headset pack right now so that's about as good as it gets until the next technological leap. Oculus in particular alternate frequently between OLED and LCD and neither is perfect for VR yet unfortunately.

Main thing is none of these issues get in the way of what it CAN do, they're just rough edges to partially solved problems.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Absurd long shot here but the market is astoundingly grim right now; just had my right Quest 1 controller die out of nowhere and there doesn't seem to be any sane/cost-effective way to pick up a replacement beyond buying a whole new headset, so if anyone has a spare lying around unused and is willing to sell it (and get it to the UK somehow) I will pledge to repay the forum in failed gamedev posts at a later date.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

This is like the PS3/4 headsets Sony put out, they just kept throwing them out with a single point of failure and there was a constant tug of war on the internet between 'It's fine for me!!!' and 'gently caress!!!' depending on how long it took for each pair to poo poo the bed

It seems you can get away with a lot of corner cutting in the world of disposable plastic rubbish, except if it's supposed to stay wrapped around your skull

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

DelphiAegis posted:

Okay this doesn't make sense to me.

If I'm in the default Quest2 home, I can hear audio fine. I can plug in a set of headphones or earbuds and hear the audio output fine.

If I connect to my PC via Oculus Link (cable, not airlink) I also hear audio via the headset when no headphones are plugged into the Quest2. But as soon as I plug my headphones in, no sound is had at all. Everything I google up is people having issues where the windows settings doesn't have the "Headphones (Oculus Virtual Audio Device)" set, and setting that fixes it for them. This is apparently entirely from plugging in headphones. What the gently caress?

Headset's fine, PC Oculus software and Windows 10 audio management are both an equally clusterfucked shitmess, facetiously hth!!

This is basically a gauntlet lots of people have to run, is completely normal and the only solution seems to be mash buttons/article suggestions until your particular config works and then don't touch anything and expect to repeat it every few goes or whenever you plug something else with an audio component in.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Warbird posted:

PM’d. Got 2 more if anyone wants them.

Also me if the last one's still available. I would like to see the whites of my enemy's eyes before committing to battle.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Skyarb posted:

Lemming, we get it, if there is a beloved title that wasn't made by oculus you don't like it.

His thing is being militantly avant-garde about VR's potential not brand loyalty. You got that he has a thing, but you don't get the thing.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

UK account about to add a new headset to my account if anyone's got a code, I've had a Quest 2 activated on the account before but this is a new one so it should be okay...?

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Diephoon posted:

drat thanks for shouting these out, am I reading right they're only $30? I thought prescription lenses would be more expensive.

That's your base price before you dial in the strength of the prescription, it's likely to come out at low three figures depending on how exact a prescription you request and how hosed your eyes are.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

explosivo posted:

If I have Left and Right PD of 33 each is my IPD double that? Thinking about ordering some of those lenses and am not sure why to put here.

66 is a pretty average IPD so it could certainly be that, although they do mention there's an app that can also ballpark your distance so maybe get a second opinion from that if you're unsure.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

So after going through it with someone here already I can confirm that right now US and non-US accounts can't do referrals between each other, seemingly because of the US-specific offer that recently ended.

So this is a specific call for any non-US account that wants some free minigolf bux when I add the new Quest to mine. PM for golf!

EDIT: Claimed, thank

Super Foul Egg fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Dec 8, 2021

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

CzarChasm posted:

So I read through the OP and I still have questions

I know facebook/meta are evil and I shouldn't throw them more money. That aside, I'd be in about $1000 to upgrade my PC and buy a VR system, so that's less of an option

So, how would one access the Steam VR store from the Meta Quest setup? Is it literally as simple as browsing there from whatever built in browser there is?

Easiest way to parse PCVR is that the VR unit is basically just a New Monitor, be it Quest or Index or whatever else. The standalone units also jam a mobile processor in there to enable self-contained experiences (and garden-walling).

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Butt Discussin posted:

What’s the best way to do this again? Both people factory reset their quest 2s then click each other’s link?

Wait, it works both ways? Wish I'd known that before I put it through, that's double the amount of free golf I got.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I feel like the annoying minors problem is a tad overemphasized in vrchat discussions, and honestly the kids are kinda funny sometimes before you're forced to disappear them with the flick of a wrist.

Not going to lie I have had multiple occasions in Gorilla Tag where I've found myself genuinely amused at the creativity stemming from an absolute lack of filter displayed in The Kids as they mill about subconsciously mimicking the societal structure of the monkeys they are portrayed as. It's not entirely racism and memes! Although it is frequently that.

Also having to necessarily stay silent as a full grown adult in a room of children initially felt creepy but has settled into more of a David Attenborough type situation, all perched on a branch observing ad-hoc heirarchies form and break down in the space of minutes. VR is strange and sometimes cool, in new ways.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Lemming posted:

I guess it was naive to release the locomotion as open source, I hoped that people would use it as a basis for making games but with good locomotion, but it just turned into a bunch of trash clones. Oh well.

This is very interesting, when the clone article was posted I almost unlurked to muse on whether the clones were just using name recognition to shovel unrelated software or trying to replicate the game proper, but this answers all of my questions and creates a few more that will only be solved by shovelling the dust off the Q2 and jumping in.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

re: adoption, there is nothing to lament here, Facebook made an all hands on deck play for turning VR into the very worst version of itself and the fact that over the last year or so they not only completely whiffed their objective but cut themselves off from the driving force of their hardware innovations to date is nothing but good news for everyone involved.

The other cyclical argument in here about adoption, movement slapfights, is once again a case of people screaming five different variants of 'works for me!!!' and ignoring the elephant in the room which is Just Get Your VR Legs Bro is a gigantic and permanent dealbreaker for most people who do not expect any form of entertainment to make them need to lie down for a while. Beat Saber isn't just popular because it's good, it's popular because it de-emphasises traversal of any kind in favour of just standing there and never having to deal with your inner ear asking what the gently caress just happened.

And no, you can't just make everything monkeys. There should be at least a couple more monkeys though. Maybe three monkeys maximum.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Lemming posted:

which definitely does not make me want to beat my head against the wall. The hardware is all great, it's the lack of imagination that's stagnating things

That moment when you're skimming down the thread and your eyes land on a sentence like this and you don't have to scroll up to know who posted.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Turin Turambar posted:

While watching the trailer, I thought of an idea, here it's for free: a VR shooter where if you reload doing a fancy move (ie, throwing the magazine in the air spinning around and then letting it fall inside the pistol by putting it upside down), those bullets will have +40% damage.

Here's your free QA: Players are trying to do it constantly the moment they find out about it and either (if it's too easy) reduce it to a rote action or (if it's too hard) ultimately end up frustrated that they're not getting Optimal Damage.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Lemming posted:

Not to toot my own horn too much but man, I'm so proud of how that new player experience is for most people.

While the start ramp is (was?) a brutal introduction to someone who doesn't know how to monke, I've had a few profound moments in GTag where the stars align and the kids, trapped in a liminal space of sort-of but not-quite-enough game, start getting creative in unexpected ways. Of course the other 95% is just children clumsily vying for their place in the room's heirarchy (LIKE GORILLAS!!) but when it happens it feels very... PS2, like you dug up a niche import that's out there doing something you've never seen before. Very different vibe to VRChat, where everyone is more guarded and aware of themselves.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Lemming posted:

I think there needs to be a game as a wrapper and lubricant for the social interaction, I think VRChat is too on the nose in that respect (yeah there are games in individual rooms and stuff, but it's not the main focus). I think the more successful VR games are going to continue to figure out how to generate more and more of those natural feeling interactions and really build up the illusion of a world that exists that you can see into with the headset

The crude tech and entry requirements currently obscure that for the first time since ears (and binaural is still pretty niche) we've more or less jacked another of our senses wholesale, and that with a more subtle hand there's a lot of scope to play with that concept beyond the traditional videogame staples of traversal and bashing objects into each other. I'd say it'll get there but it feels pretty 50/50 right now whether it continues to evolve or sinks back into Not Ready For Consumer Consumption for another twenty years.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Lemming posted:

VR is just so loving good that really all it's gonna take is one super killer app, unfortunately it doesn't seem we're on a linear path to better software because everything does feel really stagnant at the moment

I am pushing all of my chips in and saying we have maybe two to three years to find that killer app before everyone throws in the towel and calls it a day. Playstation's hat will sell well but remain at the mercy of software and Apple's shoot is still to be shot but rumours make it sound like it might end up quietly binned when the logistics don't pan out. I think Meta have completely lost their way (and Carmack) and everything hardware from them is going to be evolutionary from this point on.

It is time. Time to add a battlepass to Gorilla Tag.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

The old style of technological progress where earnest people build something people want followed by vultures stripping it of worth is exactly that, old. Meta is new, which is why they first thought of a cool payment processing system that will get them a cut of everything all of the time, and are now trying to figure out ways to make dumb fucks people actually use it.

As an in-house studio, whatever comes next is going to be poisoned with that intent and it would be prudent to find (or make) something comparable because the next Ready at Dawn thing is going to be cursed.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

There cannot be a single person in this thread that has used a GearVR more than once and still thinks we're ever going back to that format. Please.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

GearVR predates inside-out 6DoF tracking, as well as modern phone resolutions to boot, and if Pimax Portal's even remotely viable (which it legitimately seems to be from the people who've gotten to play with demo sets), yes it could potentially work.

Key word there being of course potentially, but it's not an entirely dumb idea.

It's an entirely dumb idea. Gear's big issue was not the specifications, and the only reason it got any use at all was because it landed during VR's mainstream honeymoon period where everyone just wanted to get hands on SOMETHING and see what VR was all about. That party is over, along with all the empty plastic shells and Samsung S models that were ever compatible with it.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Boz: I respect John Carmack's opinion so much I forced a lame sticker onto my team like the absolute middle manager I am.

Also Boz: gently caress that guy, we can't sell Balenciaga hats in this, please redirect all resources to a metaverse compatible service game. Please be excited.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Chin Strap posted:

Weight of the PSVR2 is coming in at about the same as the PSVR1, so can anyone here that has a Quest 2 (+ DAS preferably) and has used PSVR comment on the comfort difference between the two?

With DAS, Quest 2 is 100gish heavier than PSVR AFAICT, with standard strap is about 100g lighter (but I would never use it with the standard strap). But I'm guessing the weight distribution will be different and that will impact things.

I'm curious because I can never tolerate the Quest 2 for more than about an hour at once, because it feels like a brick strapped to my face even with the DAS. I'm hoping PSVR2 will be better.

Weight is meaningless when one has a halo strap by default and one doesn't, in terms of comfort it can't be beat unless your skull is for whatever reason a less suitable loadbearing surface than your face.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

I've been gifted a powerbeats VR key for quest2, I can give it out to someone who promises me they want to punch like hell and burn shitloads of calories in VR but you gotta import your own mp3's im telling ya

I could use less of me, as long as it works in EU region.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Sorry for the belated response, I realised I hadn't updated my Oculus account to ~Definitely Not Facebook~ and bailed out of the process first attempt. It is now redeemed and I am ready to become part of a meme compilation for blasting straight through something expensive.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

KakerMix posted:

You used to press a button to play a canned animation and go "wow I hit that guy!" but now in VR with the controls we have you can actually swing at the guy and go "wow I ACTUALLY hit that guy!"

And in the future, we might just stop hitting things.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

EightFlyingCars posted:

violence kicks rear end though

It has its moments. It just shouldn't be all of them.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

SCheeseman posted:

I know many of the die-hards here don't consider it to be an amazing example of a VR game (in some ways they're right) but having Alyx would have been the teaspoon of sugar for this launch to smooth over most of these launch technical and library issues. It's a big AAA game, a visual spectacle and remains mostly unplayed by the masses. Sony should have organized this, it is crazy that it didn't happen.

Perhaps time has healed the wounds, but Valve and Sony friendship ended in the PS3 era, where they had a bad time porting Orange Box to it and then had Sony's giant month-long data breach outage coincide with the release of Portal 2, culminating in a Gabe interview tour where he openly stated that he was done with working with them.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

VR melee is one of those things that sounds like it's as simple as just making all the objects involved respond to each other, but it absolutely isn't. Just like throwing, you have to add a big invisible layer of juiced up fakery to it to make it feel good.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

Without wanting to pile on the Bad Opinion Haver, a game that makes you move your arms vigorously to achieve something the game sees as a simple on/off state is not VR as a whole being bad, it's just an unadventurous implementation.

However, I have sympathy for it. When it comes to making use of extremely accurate tracking data in realtime, the moment you start looking at doing more than just clamping a world object to your input and using it to interact with other objects, things get very complicated and out of reach of most solo/casual indie developers. As a result, progress on that front is going to be incremental. Expect a lot of games with One New Idea rather than one that just comes along and does everything right, and look out for that rather than complaining that nobody is immediately serving up 4D Last of Us's.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

SCheeseman posted:

The VR games that sell are the ones where you swing your arms around, while titles that users scoff at are lazy ports that don't allow for this. Not to mention, one of the most popular video game consoles of all time is the one that highlighted waggle controls. Idk, whenever I read this kind of poo poo I just imagine that dude from the WoW South Park episode saying it. Not that I'm not a fatass but gosh, it's not that hard to move your body.

While I agree with you generally, invoking the Wii as proof motion controls work is a trap and it should never be forgotten that the Wii's original controllers were so bad at reading anything other than the vaguest of interpolated swings, they had to release an attachable addon to make them work as intended behind the scenes. The phenomenon of 'waggle' happened because the unfiltered data coming out of a Wiimote was jittery garbage, not because developers couldn't be bothered.

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

SCheeseman posted:

The point wasn't that they were good controls but that people were fine with the idea of moving their body to control the video game conceptually, even if the execution in practice was lacking.

And mine was that the idea of moving for fun with a thin justification to spur it on is a separate draw to making use of the verisimilitude and precision that VR offers. Not lesser, just, separate. Beat Saber is undoubtedly a VR game, but the thing that makes it do numbers is a lineage that stretches back to the earliest Harmonix output. To hold it up as a clear example of VR's success leads you down a long road we've travelled before and at the end is a mountain of cheap plastic peripherals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Foul Egg
Oct 5, 2005

SCheeseman posted:

My response was addressing a claim that physical input is a barrier to broader adoption, not that the Wii was good implementation of it (it wasn't). I like VR mostly because of the additional input bandwidth and player agency that provides and am subsequently annoyed by games that squander that.

The specific claim was that OP didn't want to have to do a motion just to pull off something a videogame sees as a simple one press action. That's a valid take, if expressed inelegantly, and I'm saying Wii (and to a lesser extent Beat Saber) didn't need to be a good implementation of that, because it's kind of a separate genre entirely.

I suspect we're all saying the exact same thing in different words at this point so let's just agree to agree and wait patiently for the cooking game that will inevitably end up being the Minecraft of VR.