Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This kinda bites, I was looking around for info on Gunhead/Cryptark 2, but it looks like the devs have been almost radio silent for a year or two :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Dackel posted:

Don't think it's worth full price, but I had fun playing through it on gamepass.

modern gaming.txt

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I put some time into Necromunda, it's way higher budget and nicer looking than I was expecting

... it's also extremely Necromunda and I'm not sure it's going to be appealing to many people outside a very narrow niche.

XCOM lovers might like it. People without an interest in the setting, base game, or genre at all, definitely not.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

I love GW properties and just want to know if it's fun to play. Mordheim was good for about 20 hours but then the jank and the grind set in and I lost interest.

So far yes, only major issue I've run into is that it's loving *slow*. The individual turns are fine, it's just the overall size and length of the fights that draws it out.

I've also read some reports of some pretty bad bugs, but I haven't experienced any yet (I'm sure I will).

On a not actual gameplay note, I dislike how half armored gang dinguses can take hits from loving lascannons and krak grenades. These gangers are harder than the Terminators in Deathwing :v:

(plays fine, just feels ridiculous)

I'm also *deeply* skeptical the AI can play this game once I get into full custom gang campaign territory. There's an absolute ton of options every turn, no way the AI makes good choices a majority of the time. Have to wait and see there.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Imbalanced can be fun, "AI can't even play the game" will torpedo any enjoyment if you're using all these complicated systems to shoot target dummies

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

BPM isn't for everyone, but if it's for you you'll loving love every second

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

ZZZorcerer posted:

They organize the scenes in the menu in chronological order with description and the names of everyone involved, you can also (I think) replay any scene. There's also a glossary for characters, places, objects, etc. on the menu so while the story is told in non-linear fashion it's not that bad :shrug:

The combat abstraction is a shame though, it should've been properly animated

Thinking about getting this, "pacific rim persona visual novel with vanillaware art" is a very very specific pitch but I might be a target

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Lord_Pigeonbane posted:

I've read that Star Renegades is getting a Switch port, later this year, and I've been holding out for that.

Also, it looks like the devs are going to be adding some content over the next months. I hate this kind of release. When I start a game, it has a limited window before I need to move on to something new. I rarely come back to a game once it's been shelved. That pushes me away from purchasing a game like this on release because I won't be getting the finished product.

Am I just being an rear end in a top hat? Does anyone else feel this way?

Not just valid, it's increasingly relevant now that we are in an era where your time is more limited than games to play will ever be

If you wait you get the year later cheaper updated patched content complete game

I avoid a lot of games I'll enjoy if there's a good chance buying early means spoiling a better overall experience later

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Biomass
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1138960/Biomass/

I just found this, and I'm really glad I did.

It's got some definite rough edges and some annoying design decisions, but man the atmosphere is so, so good.

If you love dark scifi, you need to check this game out. Like Axiom Verge, Biomega, Akira, Prey, and other trippy weird rear end scifi worlds.

Gameplay wise it's tHe dArK SOuls of 2d metroidvania. Or something. The control is tight enough, but very fast and lethal, and with some very uneven difficulty.

Exploration is only moderately interesting in terms of movement, though you do gain access to new tools that open up new routes as you play.

Atmospherically though, drat this game nails it. Moody, brooding music, excellently done lowfi graphics with some really beautiful vistas, and storytelling delivered as much in the environments as the bits you piece together from dialogue with scarce talkative npcs.

Structurally the game is unusual, you're only going to see part of the world and part of the story on your first playthrough, by design. If you want to see more, you need to play more, sort of like Nier: Automata.

I can't recommend this to everyone because the rough edges are pretty rough, and the pacing isn't perfect, but if this specific subgenre is your jam, you'll probably love almost every minute of discovery in spite of the annoyances.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Nope, it is not even close to something like Hollow Knight or even Sundered. It only superficially resembles the genre because it has the 'find item, open new route' sort of mechanic, but it feels more like a key than a new means of traversal.

You literally can't even jump, Ori this is not :v:

If you're only interested in the gameplay, I'd stay far away, there are plenty of games that do what this game does far better. If the setting and weirdness are appealing though, I'd check it out.

You can definitely see if you dig it inside the refund window, a first playthrough is probably ~6 hours or so?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Slipways sounds like my kinda thing, your description reminds me a bit of Space Tyrant https://store.steampowered.com/app/562230/Space_Tyrant/, which is another stripped down strategy game

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Curse of the Dead Gods is out and it's rad

The reductive take will be "it's like Hades", but it has its own thing going on and I'm enjoying it quite a bit. Have to see if it holds up for the long haul.

Curse posted:

You seek untold riches, eternal life, divine powers - it leads to this accursed temple, a seemingly-infinite labyrinth of bottomless pits, deadly traps, and monsters.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Cactus posted:

Is it better played on a pad (like Hades) or a m&k (like diablo)?

I went right to pad, it's extremely action focused - parry, dodge roll, charge and timing attacks, basic combos, three weapons of many types and a light to swap between

The control is extremely tight, but it's more (looks around, lowers voice) dark souls parrying and dodging at high speed than mowing through hordes with one button like Diablo

I generally prefer pad for this kind of game (even Diablo after playing the console port :v:), but I didn't test it on mkb. You could easily gauge if you like the feel in the refund window, there's very little fluff before you're in the thick of it

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Can you talk a little about things it does differently? I'm interested

Sure, I think the main thing is "double edged swords for days" - the titular curses accumulate through a meter that acts as another resource you need to manage alongside health and gold (you can 'spend' curse points at vendors instead of gold, some enemy attacks cause curse damage).

The curses have an upside and a downside, well managed they can be a benefit, but fill the meter all the way and you'll get the doom curse draining your health (which if you're a boss I suppose you could still deal with).

Light and traps - it's dark in the temple, you have a torch you can use to light fires (or enemies!), and while in the light your can spot otherwise invisible traps. You also take more damage in the dark... but some weapons and abilities give benefits in the dark.

The traps are all well themed with the different temples, and you can use them to your advantage if you're careful.

That's all the stuff that's layered on top of the combat, which feels very action game to me, and there's a ton of status effects and triggers that play off each other from all the weapons, boons, and items, encouraging weapon and attack type swapping to maximize damage and effect output, while managing your stamina pool.

There's more but if that sounds at all appealing and you like this type of game I'd say just dive in and try it, you'll know real fast if it feels good to you.

I think for some people the constantly accumulating curses will stress them out, for me it just feels like an interesting mechanic to play with, alongside the darkness and the traps.

victrix fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Feb 24, 2021

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I have literally nothing but bad things to say about windows store games

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

kalthir posted:

Derelict Void
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1479340/Derelict_Void/

Pretty polished and fun, but not very deep or worth the 15€ it's currently selling at. It basically boils down to jumping from place to place, collecting resources to survive, collecting factories to make it easier to survive and advancing the story after a set number of "jumps". The base management part is practically non-existant. It reminds me a lot of Out There, but with a lot less content.

Heyyy, the one other person who played Out There.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/334420/Out_There__Edition/

Not to be confused with Out There Somewhere

https://store.steampowered.com/app/263980/Out_There_Somewhere/

Or the upcoming Out There: Oceans of Time :v:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1145290/Out_There_Oceans_of_Time/

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1458100/Cozy_Grove/

quote:

Welcome to Cozy Grove, a game about camping on a haunted, ever-changing island. As a Spirit Scout, you'll wander the island's forest each day, finding new hidden secrets and helping soothe the local ghosts. With a little time and a lot of crafting, you'll bring color and joy back to Cozy Grove!

On a scale of 1 to Cozy, how Cozy are we talking here? Like maximum cozy?

(it's extremely animal crossing afaict)

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1038370/Trials_of_Fire/

Trials of Fire is out of early access

quote:

A Tactical, Deck-Building Roguelite. Choose 3 Heroes and adventure into a post-Cataclysmic wasteland. Engage enemies in a unique meld of card-play and tactical, positional combat. Level up and scavenge what you can to customise your decks and build a party to take on any challenge!

It's an unusual mix of genres, but it pulls it off pretty successfully I think, I played and enjoyed it during early access

The meat of the game is turn based combat using cards, so if those aspects tickle your fancy you should check it out

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Slitherine is a publisher, battle sector devs is another company, don't know the name

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I want to be absolutely crystal clear that I linked this game so people could mock it. Get your vaccines please, and stay masked until we're sure the delta variant is gone.

I'd rather this stuff get zero exposure or engagement, ironic or otherwise

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Palpek posted:

Ok, so Death's Door and Axiom Verge 2 are loving amazing, big recommendations from me. If you're looking for a recent good game, get those blind.

Any other really good games mentioned itt lately and which actually released that are worth buying?

Jupiter Hell is great if you're in the mood for a "pure" roguelike

Old World if you want paradox dynasty and events melded with Civ6 4x

The Ascent is a stunning cyberpunk action rpg/twin stick shooter

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I should note that while it's traditional (increasingly: old) in terms of not having meta progression, being turn based, etc, it's also a very very slick and clean design. It plays fast, most of its mechanics are intuitive, you can play it with a controller if you want.

An old school roguelike with modern sentiment.

It's a game about shooting a lot of demons with cool guns and it does that extremely well.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Somfin posted:

Hey all, I just found out about Tainted Grail: Conquest, which is a loving gorgeous deckbuilder roguelite, very much in the vein of good old Slay the Spire, that scratches that "ramp to infinity" roguelite power-trip itch harder than I've seen in a long time. A quick search of this thread showed it hadn't been mentioned yet, but it released back in May and holy poo poo, it's amazing and beautiful and when you're doing well, you feel like a god. It's got a touch of the "bleak for bleakness' sake" fantasy theming going on, but the story's going in intriguingly meta directions, the player is offered real chances and reasons to fix things instead of just being a vague blob of vagueness vaguely pushing forward for their own reasons, and the systems all play into each other in fun and meaningful ways.

You can't post that without posting the boss theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qjmp2r2OsZ4&t=46s

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1296360/Archvale/

This game is like catnip for me, pixel art bullet hell... zelda?

I don't know if it will suddenly start to suck later but the intro charmed me completely

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

deep dish peat moss posted:

Now I want to play a roguelite hiking game where you just walk through a pretty forest and discover different neat scenery each time

I think you just described life

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

This isn't strictly new since it launched in Dec, but it's getting incredibly overlooked:

Togges

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1550270/Togges/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtZQakG85ws

What if puzzle game with adorable Roomba, but Mario Galaxy?

No seriously, it's adorable

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

Someone said that it was a chud game and I don’t doubt it, but I read over the store page and really I would have no idea from that description. Is there some dog-whistling phrase there that I’m not picking up?

just watch the video, it showed up in one of my feeds and I checked it out and was like "huh cool", then saw the video, then read a few reviews. avoid. honestly shouldn't even give it exposure in this thread or anywhere

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

bitterandtwisted posted:

Fwiw you can change the settings so abandoning a run doesn't lose any loot

This and it has a mountain of gaming accessibility options to tweak how harsh/friendly/easy it is

It's a fantastic game, but I wouldn't recommend it if you can only play in small bites, sinking into it is a good time - I don't think it'd be quite as good in bits and pieces

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

https://twitter.com/RikuKat/status/1766261499574776089?t=QjM0GwY_qpRSQwx_eZpoEg&s=19

womp

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Jedit posted:

(Also: Jeff Minter was a goon?)

I mean come on

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

grate deceiver posted:

Just found out about this game, releases into EA in a week and looks dope as hell - Underspace

What immediately made me interested is that it's a space shooter game in vein of Freelancer, but with a horror/occult theming. Giant void leviahans, megastructures, weird bioscapes and space demons, kinda reminds me of E.Y.E.

"multiplayer pvp"

yeah no dawg, that's dev resources best spent elsewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

What the gently caress this looks insane

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2581960/The_Collage_Atlas/