Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

There's a trick for getting them past the force field, but I've heard a few different takes on the best way to do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Mr.Booger posted:

I assumed it was the standard bunk bed size, so they were typically bought in pairs, nothing to back that up beyond owning a bunk bed as a child.

It was also popular (not just on TV) to have a pair of single beds for married couples in the early-mid 20th century. It was presented as a fashionable health thing: if you do your actual sleeping separately you won''t disturb each other or spread germs or whatever. And how much space do you need for sex anyway?

So pair of single beds for a married couple, for a bunk bed, for a hotel room, whatever.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Murgos posted:

In latin the word for evil and apple are the same (malus) and an apple was any fruit so, the whole story about the tree and adam and eve is pretty confusing.

I think there are also similar complications in ancient Hebrew. Like, pretty sure serpent isn't necessarily a snake.

"Serpent" originally could apply to any creeping animal really.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Scratch Monkey posted:

all serpents are deer

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Do they think Hunter's laptop is on the guest list or something?

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Because "opoid" in scare-language means "bad drugs".

And, I'm actually pretty sure, that's literally how the law is written.

And meth overdose has been spiking fast too. Nearly as fast as opiates, just from a lower starting point.

To be clear, I'm not saying that as an endorsement of policy. Just that it's not a "whoopsie, tried to address an opioid-specific crisis by restricting stimulants" thing. More than one kind of drug problem is spiking.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

mobby_6kl posted:

I'm pretty sure everyone would say there's not enough military spending

The graph in that image didn't include it but the survey sure did! More people think there's too little than too much.

Though the methodology is a little iffy since the crosstabs show the survey skews rural and wealthy, the details of which priorities are more popular don't change that people want to cut taxes but increase every kind of spending except the one thing the government spends almost nothing on.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

poemdexter posted:

What if your only two options are a republican and a republican disguised as a democrat?

The far right spent decades voting just as reliably when the most "moderate" RINO on city council was running to unseat the most conservative Democrat as they would have if it was Reagan vs Lenin for World Dictator. Winning primaries, winning seats, every level from local to federal: they turned out religiously for anything that grew the party and moved the window right. It doesn't prove it would work for Dems, but boy has it led to them having say far above their actual numbers.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

cat botherer posted:

It's always surprising how many people have become successful in politics without any charisma. You'd think it would count more.

The secret is that "charisma" is no more objectively real than "intelligence" in that each represents a whole lot of separate and really subjective skills that might not mean much to a given person or in a given situation, so it's easy to not get why so many people are just obsessed by the charm of (insert loser.)

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

haveblue posted:

Is the missile now 7x more capable than before? (Adjusted for inflation)

I was trying to look up details on what's changed and I found this utterly useless AI created article. The images in it are amazing:

https://www.lihpao.com/how-much-does-a-stinger-missile-cost/

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Professor Beetus posted:

This will have a chilling effect on the novelty dog toy market.

This seems like another straw on the pile of making GBS threads all over fair use and parody.

The additional bit about Jack Daniels being so litigious about their trademark is that their label was initially designed to imitate the then-dominant Evan Williams label.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

BiggerBoat posted:

Is "immense pleasure" a consequence?

Cause, I mean...god gave me this penis that feels amazing when it's stimulated. And I've heard it said that women's genitalia can offer similar rewards. We're supposed to deny ourselves the single best feeling most of us ever experience because...?

And, OK. Along those lines, why the hang up about masturbation? No babies, no abortions, no pregnancy, no std's. No harm. Just a little messy. Serious question because I do not know but does the bible speak on that anywhere?

In Genesis, Onan's brother died and his father ordered him to impregnate his sister-in-law to carry on the family line. He didn't want to and pulled out instead. By religious telephone game this turned into "don't masturbate" just like how the Sodom and Gomorrah story about mistreatment of guests/foreigners turned into "Don't be gay." Thus the old-timey term for masturbation of "Onanism."

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

The best example being decoction of willow bark. It's a traditional natural herbal remedy made from trees that humans used for thousands of years for all kinds of problems. Then we refined it and super concentrated it and turned it into a little pill you could easily swallow instead of a bunch of nasty gross brown liquid. It works!

If other herbal remedies really worked then a bunch of German scientists in the 1890's would have turned them into pills

This is only half true. Salicylic acid found in willow bark isn't used as an internal painkiller today. It's mostly used as a topical treatment for skin conditions like warts and psoriasis. The reason is that it has nasty side effects when taken internally, with a significant risk of severe gastric disturbances or intestinal bleeding. You know how aspirin can give you an upset stomach? The original was much worse.
Aspirin isn't just a refined and concentrated version: it's a synthetic drug, acetylsalicylic acid. While it was initially produced using bark-derived salicylic acid as a raw material, it's a lab-manufactured chemical that's far superior to the natural plant extract that it was based on. It's a perfect example of how traditional remedies that work get turned into medicine.

Extra fun fact. "Aspirin" was originally a trademark of the Bayer company, the first major manufacturer of acetylsalicylic acid. They lost the rights to the trademark in much of the world after WW1, however. Another former Bayer trademark that became a household name also was used for a synthetic chemical produced from a plant extract. It was a popular cough medicine around the turn of the 20th century, but the formal name of diacetylmorphine was a bit of a mouthful.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

zoux posted:

While actual targets and protocol are among the most classified secrets in the world, I think every one assumes they're going to nuke our silos either way. Maybe we don't launch all of them, maybe there's a failure that can be corrected for another launch attempt. I mean, Russia runs all (or almost all?) of their ICBMs from mobile launchers in part because silos are easy to target and attack, so this is at least an issue in their mind. Even in a Russia first-strike scenario, we're going to theoretically be able to launch silo-based ICBMs before they get nuked

Retaliatory strike scenarios explicitly assume that the empty silos (and other strategic targets) will be significantly less targeted than population centers. Silos probably least of all since military and production facilities have more use than a silo that's launched its missiles. South Dakota is a long way from any active silos: they'll be in a bad way in a Russian first strike but only because the sheer volume of the strikes on North Dakota, Montana, and the greater NORAD area will send huge fallout plumes. Sure, they might not be totally ignored, but if those locations don't get absolutely carpeted than the safety of being in the middle of South Dakota changes a lot. So it's a weird location where in a nuclear war they'll be either as untouched as anywhere in the continental US or in the worst possible place for somewhere that far from the nearest mushroom cloud.

One thing to note on this map is that if the war happened tomorrow the 2000 warhead scenario is not possible: Russia has fewer than 1700 warheads actively deployed so you'd need some sort of close and explicit Russia/China collaboration or something making sure they fill in each other's gaps.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Kith posted:

tallahassee gets what it deserves, i see

e: raises some questions. do the 500 nuke targets not count anymore if there are 2k nukes in play? i see 2k marks overlapping with some 500s but not others. do the overlaps just get nuked twice?

I don't know that for certain. And obviously this isn't anything Russia has officially announced so much as an educated guess by Americans. But the scenarios are:

1. Russia does a first strike with a primary goal of neutralizing the US's ability to wage war. Apart from suicidal impulse, this might represent that for some reason they feel they can "win" the war with a surprise attack. It targets anything the US can use to strike back with or use to rebuild its offensive capability in the short or medium term. Killing everyone is possible but it's not the goal.

2. Russia does a retaliatory strike, for example in response to an American first strike or other immanent collapse of Russia. This is the MAD scenario, where a nuclear power that is losing a war makes certain that there is no winner. Body count is the goal: destroying remaining American forces is fine and all, but doesn't really matter if there's no Russia left to attack. It could even be triggered by the automatic Dead Hand system the Soviets designed to signal all remaining silos in the event a surprise American attack destroying their entire command structure. There's no confirmation but supposedly Russia still maintains it.

Obviously enough scenario 2, by design, is a good enough reason why a first strike is insane for even the most hawkish and bloodthirsty government, and both scenarios would be governed partly by the number of available warheads, but target priorities are sharply different for each.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

i say swears online posted:

at 42, black and white tv shows had only been gone for fifteen years. hdtv has been around 25 years

Color TV was close to 30 years old when you were born. Color broadcasts started in the 1950s, it just took ten years or so before all the networks transitioned their programming to color and longer for everyone to move to color sets. HDTV had a comparable transition period, between lots of cable programming lingering SD into the 2010s and even bigger ticket networks going 720p and 1080i on the way.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

cat botherer posted:

He started doing punditry, leading to this situation:

It's a funny thing how he gave Trump a better chance than any of the other major predictors, but it was still under 50% so he became the primary laughing stock to people who were so sure she would win that they treated the 2016 general season as a referendum on what should happen after her inevitable victory.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Gyges posted:

Certainly an interesting take on WWII starting with a Polish invasion.

Blaming the Poles is what the Soviets did at the time and it's hardly unusual for admirers of Stalin to echo it to this day. Going a step further to apply the logical conclusion of that to Hitler is unusually quiet part loud though.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

zoux posted:

And literally had a heart attack in the middle of his campaign.

And the supporters of the top two old man candidates attacked the young options twice as hard as they ever did each other, so it seems primary voters at least don't consider age a prime issue.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Frionnel posted:

This guy could be completely right and it would still not add up to anything close to 50%.

50% of the US' GDP is a ludicrous amount.

For a little perspective, during the peak of the WW2 war economy, the US spent 35% of its GDP on the military.

Post-1945, It only passed 10% briefly during Korea, and upper single digits for most of the rest of the cold war. The Soviet Union collapsed in large part because they were spending 15-20% during the 1970s-1980s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

Pillbug

Baronjutter posted:

Turns out the actual only way to "stimulate the economy" is actually investing in your population, not making it more profitable to hoard wealth. But I think most of the people pushing that ideology knew it wouldn't work, it was just cover for some of the biggest wealth transfers in human history.

It was George HW Bush himself that called it "voodoo economics" in the primary and said it would never work. He was right, of course, but that didn't keep him from signing up for the VP nom.