Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Whitest Russian posted:

I'm mostly trying to decide if I want to get some decent Ryzen sale during Black Friday/Cyber Monday or if I should wait for Zen 3 to be released in early 2020 supposedly.
It'll be more like mid to late 2020, early 2020 is confirmed for Zen 2 APU/mobile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

It sounds like AMD is the way to go these days? I've seen the 2700x come up a bunch in the last page, is that like a sweet spot at the moment?
I'd say for $200 and under the 2600 and 3600 are the two sweet spots from a mostly gaming perspective.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Cooler Master also have a couple of recent mATX cases in the "standard" layout

https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mini-tower/silencio-s400/
https://www.coolermaster.com/catalog/cases/mini-tower/masterbox-nr400-with-odd/

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

The Milkman posted:

Thank you (and all). It's a little disheartening there doesn't seem to be anything as good as what I got 7 years ago.
To be fair a lot of really good small form factor cases have released in the last seven years, it's just that none of them bother with a 5.25 inch bay

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

Are 3800s binned more preferentially in the Great AMD Silicon Lottery?

Is that still a thing/was it ever even really a thing?
Silicon Lottery has some statistics on 3700X vs 3800X, right at the bottom here: https://siliconlottery.com/pages/statistics

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

KillHour posted:

Except they were tested at different voltages.
It looks like they were tested at the same voltages, with a specific frequency at each voltage. It's just that the brackets shown don't overlap since the highest 3700X one is lower than the lowest 3800X.

It's how they've done it for other similar SKUs like 8700K vs 8086K and 9900K vs 9900KF.

Probably not a good way to find the actual best possible voltages/frequencies but quicker to test.

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 22, 2019

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Oxyclean posted:

(Also I noticed that case has a tempered glass side panel...silly question, but that's not particular fragile is it? Never had glass in case, I have to assume that's not going to be a problem with shipping and such...?)
There's a windowless variant if you're concerned about that or have an aesthetic preference: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/fPzkcf/fractal-design-meshify-c-atx-mid-tower-case-fd-ca-mesh-c-bko

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

WattsvilleBlues posted:

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07N43CYMS/?coliid=I11XXUK8W1MSI7&colid=1H7A4T0KYMZ9W&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it Patriot Viper Steel Series DDR4 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3733MHz Performance Memory Kit

Is that good DDR4 RAM or is the price too good to be true for the speed?
The price isn't out of the ordinary, £79 when counting shipping.

For comparison similar 3600 kits can currently be found for around £68 https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/products/memory/#s=403600,403733&Z=16384002&sort=ppgb

And 3200 Micron E-die for a little less than that

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Dec 17, 2019

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

TheManWithNoName posted:

I saw those and got lost in a rabbit hole of looking at all the integrated Ryzens and just settled on the cheapest. Are the 2000G series the best bang for the buck?
The 2200G and 3200G are probably best bang for the buck right now. At current new prices the 2400G and 3400G are bit too close in cost to the six core CPUs.

Though if it's just a stopgap then there's no reason to spend that much.

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Dec 22, 2019

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Actuarial Fables posted:

For memory performance, the 3000/c15 RAM would have a lower latency than a 3200/c16 set. I'm not sure if the slightly lower RAM frequency would affect the Infinity Fabric frequency and overall performance in a noticeable way - maybe someone else here would know?
These are equal latency for CAS: 15/3000 = 16/3200, 10 ns for both.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

SadBag posted:

Currently most parts I've tried work when I turn on (PowerSource, lights, fans, back USB) aside from the motherboards HDMI. Graphics card HDMI works so I can get around, but any idea why that would be? Is it a one or the other type of thing?
Yeah, pretty much. The card's HDMI works for the card, the motherboard for the CPU's integrated graphics (and this is a CPU without any integrated graphics)

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
There'll be an explicit toggle for HDR on/off, it can just function as a regular SDR monitor (and is probably better off as one) if you're not trying to send it an HDR signal

Review of a model from the same line, probably the same panel, showing tests in both modes: https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/lg/27uk650-w

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 5, 2020

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Jimbot posted:

Are either the graphite or Carbonaut thermal pads good and safe alternatives to thermal paste? I've had my PC a little while and I try to reapply thermal paste every couple of years. It's coming up on that time but I'm just curious if these solutions are worthwhile replacements. I don't overclock, if that info helps any.

My CPU is an Intel i5-8600k.
Carbonaut specifically, maybe not: https://www.reddit.com/r/hardware/comments/ek8a1i/thermal_grizzly_carbonaut_minireview_after_6/

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Sininu posted:

Any recommendations?
Probably a Corsair RM/RMx since they usually measure the quietest out of the most popular power supplies.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Sininu posted:

Are HX series louder?
HX is further up the stack I don't think they should be much louder if at all.

The Cybenetics database has tons of measurements at different load levels if you want to cross-reference various PSUs: https://www.cybenetics.com/index.php?option=database2&params=1,2,0

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

LimburgLimbo posted:

Ninja edit: Just realized the type of people to run benchmarks probably also overclock or tune their RAM which might be why if the benchmark program doesn't capture that which I'm guessing it doesn't; I haven't touched any advanced setting/overclocking yet as everything I've run is fast as gently caress now anyway.

Edit 2: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/24813681
You have to manually enable XMP/DOCP in the BIOS for RAM to run at its advertised speed. Right now you're running 3200 MT/s RAM at 2133, which is obviously less than optimal.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
By about 30-40% from the start of the year if Digitimes is to be believed:

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20200102PD204.html

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20191203PD200.html

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Mar 3, 2020

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Vindolanda posted:

I've been wildly prodding pcpartpicker to put something together, let me know if there are any truly boneheaded choices. After putting this together with the very useful OP I realise that I'm not as confident in my choices as I had thought.

Hoping to get back into good looking gaming and away from the current tyranny of my old Lenovo Y50-70 hooked up to a keyboard and monitor, although I'll keep those. I'd prefer to get all of the things from Scan.co.uk if I can, and ideally not too far over £1000.
Thanks for any suggestions.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor (£160.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard (£215.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (£95.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£172.03 @ Scan.co.uk)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB Phoenix OC Video Card (£197.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 ATX Mid Tower Case (£131.49 @ Scan.co.uk)
Power Supply: Corsair RMx (2018) 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£110.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Total: £1082.87
A few suggestions:

CPU: swap for a Ryzen 5 3600 and a tower cooler, it's faster in most of the ways that matter
SSD: any cheaper 1TB drive, £170 is way more than equivalents from non-Samsung brands like the Sabrent Rocket or the ADATA SX8200 Pro (though I don't think Scan sells these)
PSU: this similar but cheaper variant: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/650w-corsair-rm-series-rm650-2019-full-modular-80-plus-gold-sli-crossfire-single-rail-54a-140mm-fan

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Klyith posted:

And if dead set on a tiny system with air cooling, I think the Node 202 might be a better option. That can fit the NH-L12S.
The Node 202 lists cooler height at 56mm and the L12S is 70mm so these are incompatible

There are a few examples of people combining an L12S, SG13 and SFX PSU. Maybe not optimal because half the cooler would be right up against the power supply but better than stock cooling.

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Mar 22, 2020

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

sarcastx posted:

3). Speaking of HWINFO/CPU-Z, it's reporting that the DRAM Frequency is 1197.7MHz, which- well, I'd expect that to say 3200MHz, since it's DDR4 3200 - is that correct, or am I seeing a metric for something else?
I have the memory in the slots recommended in the manual (and in fact will have 4 identical 8GB modules installed later today).
It'll default to a slow speed until you enable XMP/DOCP in BIOS. The clock speed shown is half the advertised number for DDR4 so it should say 1600 MHz for 3200 RAM.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
The CX/CXM were frowned upon back when they still had the green label but the grey label ones are a new platform.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Chichevache posted:

Yeah, definitely getting a new PSU.

Edit
Looking at the Corsair CV650
The CX550 is a better pick imo, the CV and VS lines are at the bottom of Corsair's PSU ranges.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Is there a megathread-approved AIO water cooling solution that's the best bang for the buck? At what point do you really start to see a serious jump in cooling power vs. air?
Probably the newish Arctic Liquid Freezer II series thanks to their thicker radiators.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Schadenboner posted:

2. It looks like the 3300X is completely unavailable, is the 3100 good enough?
Not for that price, that's not too far off a Ryzen 3600

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Apparently the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B is a better cooler for the Node 202.
It was discontinued a while ago though, and never got updated with AM4 support.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/8Dyqqs/scythe-shuriken-2-413-cfm-cpu-cooler-scsk-2000
This seems hard to find in stock right now but the Scythe Shuriken 2 apparently fits in the 202: https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/eedsin/scythe_shuriken_2_scsk2000_cpu_cooler_with_a_node/

Also $100 for 16GB of RAM seems like a lot if you already have 16GB of RAM already (even if it's much slower), you could try overclocking the slow RAM to ~3000 instead.

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Aug 8, 2020

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Another (expensive) option: Phanteks P400S with the P400A mesh front that they sell separately.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Jinnigan posted:

While we're on the topic of case airflow, I'm trying to understand how that's supposed to work for GPUs in a Meshify. I can point a front case fan at the GPU directly. But then the GPU has fans that point.... down? And the PSU has fans that... take in air from the GPU and exhaust it?
GPU fans take in air from below and blow it out the sides of the GPU heatsink. The PSU can be oriented fan down (only taking in air from outside) or fan up (thought to be better for low power loads with semi-passive PSUs due to convection)

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Also the Scythe coolers (Mugen 5/Ninja 5/Fuma 2) are well below 160mm if height really is that constrained

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

sean10mm posted:

I've heard the same thing about AIOs being safer to ship installed, but I don't know that anybody has tested shipping a D15 installed to see what happens either.
Puget Systems goes to the trouble of using an acrylic support bracket for their big air coolers so it seems like the failure rate in shipping must be non-negligible

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Klyith posted:

Well, the Corsair is 100 more watts for $2 extra so probably that one. But the seasonic has a button on the back for semi-passive mode. If you're doing a low-noise build that might be nice. The RMx has automatic semi-passive (and a better corsair-brand fan), but not the RM.
I think this came up once before, the RM does have a passive fan mode :v: https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categ...#tab-tech-specs

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

aas Bandit posted:

How is it better? Honest question--not being snarky.
When I compare the two I see it has a lower fan speed, it's louder, it doesn't have as many five-star ratings, and it's more expensive?
You probably can't properly compare manufacturer specs for noise like that, they likely have totally different methodologies. Also Noctua only gives stats for noise at max RPM with and without the low noise adapter, and is still 11dB quieter in the worst case.

The main reasons a U14S is a few classes above a Hyper 212: it's physically bigger with a bigger fan (which doesn't need to spin as fast), more heatpipes, better contact with the CPU heat spreader and a more advanced fan bearing that's known to have a pretty good sound profile (the Hyper 212's sleeve bearing is the cheapest and simplest type).

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Orvin posted:

Looks like I just snagged a Zotac 3080 Amp Holo. It’s listed as 317.8mm. I just bought a Fractal Meshify C case that is listed as a max GPU of 315 mm. Do I need to find another case?
Not necessarily, the clearance doesn't include the 25mm for the front fan, so you could try something like a slim 15mm fan in the middle position with a normal fan in the bottom position. The 15mm fans don't perform as well as the full size ones but it'll let you keep the case if you don't want to replace it.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Sindai posted:

Thanks to this I just realized the gigantic three-fan 3070 I snagged is definitely not going to fit in a Meshify C and I also need a recommendation for something a little bigger.

It's a shame because other than that the Meshify looks perfect.
The Meshify 2 is basically just the Meshify C but longer

Llamadeus fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Nov 11, 2020

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
https://www.techspot.com/article/2140-ryzen-5000-memory-performance/

But it's probably not the number of sticks that's important, it's the number of ranks

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I'm guessing that D15 is listing at $180 because it's the special AM4 SKU, which I assume they discontinued since they put the AM4 mounting kits in every SKU now.

Anyway if your case has a window you might as well get a black Chromax edition imo

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Rookoo posted:

I've read that AMD chips don't do onboard graphics, in which case, what's the purpose of the HDMI port on the mobo?
It's for their chips that do have graphics, basically any CPU with a G in the product name.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Eugene V. Dubstep posted:

Any glaring errors/suggestions for improvement here?
An extra fan for the front intake is a good idea, that case only comes with one.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
That video only compared against a 6800 with raytracing, which we already knew it really sucks at. In non-RTX/DLSS loads they perform more or less in line with price.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Yeah, if you've already made your mind up about a part then what's the point in asking the thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
To be fair, the CPU line-ups right now are close enough in the gaming-only use case that you're not losing out on much with the "worse" option (and there's the stock situation on top of that). But for stuff like heavy multithreaded work or thermally constrained small form factor builds it's more like intentionally crippling your own PC.

Sab669 posted:

Obviously a computer isn't as serious of a purchase as a car, but like if I bought 4 Fords and every Ford exhibited problems/outright died, why would I ever buy a Ford again?
The simple answer is you can collect data on every other Ford on the road and make inferences about actual failure rates. Like how a lot of people here soft warned against 5700XTs for example once it seemed like the drivers were less than stable.