Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

If my memory serves me correctly...

Wedge Regret
C-SPAN has a neat impeachment sub-page already set up for streams: https://www.c-span.org/impeachment/

this is the page for the next hearing (Vindman+Williams), starts 8am EST https://www.c-span.org/video/?466376-1/impeachment-hearing-lt-col-vindman-vice-president-pence-aide

handy schedule on WAPO: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/politics/impeachment-calendar/

The Lemondrop Dandy fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 18, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

1glitch0 posted:

Yeah, I get it, but it's just so above my paygrade it's really impressive. I was on a conference call at work last week and I can name the people in the room with me, but I could not name all the people on the phone. It just points to the professionalism these people have.

Lower-level folks (which Vindman would be, compared to the ambassadors or whomever) are expected or required to take piles and piles of notes for important meetings. Pre-meeting prep identifying all of the participants/titles is key.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

Angry_Ed posted:

Clearly. I can't imagine anyone (with a functioning brain) thinking Lt. Col Vindman was insubordiate considering he reported the fact that elements of Ukraine's government were trying to bribe him with a Defense Minister position.

I mean, offering the position seemed like a joke? IDK, but if I were Vindman, I would not have seriously considered the offer, even apart from personal beliefs.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
recess time tends to be 15 mins, yeah?

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
hot drat, there it all is

this is damning

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
ASAP ROCKY! AGAIN

that's what jogged his memory?

:lol:

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

"sounds like something I would say"
this is real life "Putting it in trump-speak"

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
Give Goldman (dem counsel) a raise then plan on appointing him to a high level position in DOJ. He's been killing it throughout.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

AhhYes posted:

Nunez didn't want to go right away...

Nunes looked like he was not having a good day in that shot there

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

Johnny Truant posted:

Jordan is going to have an aneurysm up there and i won't be sad

Dude is getting pretty emotional here

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

Party Plane Jones posted:

Quote this post if you want the ‘I want nothing’ Gang Tag whenever it gets uploaded.

For myself so I can just blindly search through pages and find people quoting these lines: Mohican

If I can also keep my current one, yes please. If not, no thank you.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
technical difficulties LOL

poor Castro

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

eke out posted:

thank you rep krishnamoorthi

hell yeah; love that guy

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

Party Plane Jones posted:

360 title changes on top of the 70 or so from earlier, minus 10 that cspam is waiting on

:weed: nice

We salute your efforts! Gang tag is just so good.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

SchrodingersCat posted:

During the trial, who represents the House of Representatives as the prosecution?

House decides.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

I thought there would have been at least 3.

Same; worried that they're rushing it.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
Reading the articles of impeachment, it's interesting how short and narrow the text really is. (1) is abuse of power which will get the most attention and we are all familiar with, but (2) obstruction of congress is so cut-and-dried that it's hard to see how it will be argued against. Obstruction of Congress is basically that A) Congress subpoenaed documents and testimony, B) Trump ordered a bunch of the executive folks to refuse to comply, C) this is an abrogation of the constitutional power of the congress.

I'm super interested in seeing how the arguments against the obstruction of congress will go.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

1glitch0 posted:

No poo poo.

Clickbait BS

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell is not expected to hold a vote on a motion to dismiss the impeachment articles against President Trump, but would instead move to a final vote acquitting the President when a majority of senators believe the trial has run its course, two GOP senators told CNN. 

That’s significant because Republicans want to have an actual vote on acquittal — to clear the President of the charges against him — and not simply rely on a 51-vote threshold procedural motion to dismiss the hotly-disputed case.  

The Constitution mandates 67 votes are required to convict the President and remove him from office, a barrier widely considered too high to be reached in this case. 

One vote McConnell can’t rely on is that of Vice President Mike Pence who has “no role in impeachment,” according to an GOP leadership aide, despite being President of the Senate with the mandate to break ties. 

But Pence’s power, which applies to legislation and nominations, doesn’t apply to when the Senate is weighing removing his boss, an obvious conflict of interest since he would ascend to replace Trump if he were removed. Instead, Chief Justice John Roberts would preside at the trial and any tie motions would fail. 

One of the senators, speaking anonymously, said McConnell would not call a vote on the motion to proceed to the impeachment articles unless he knew he had the 51 votes needed to succeed.    

The other senator, John Cornyn of Texas, said it “would make more sense” to move to vote on the actual articles of impeachment — with their 67-vote requirement — than a motion to dismiss and “decide this on a 51-vote threshold, with the potential tie and all the recriminations that would flow from that.”

McConnell hinted at this strategy when he spoke to reporters Tuesday and said the Senate would have two choices after hearing opening arguments from the House impeachment managers and the President’s defense counsel. 

“It could go down the path of calling witnesses and basically having another trial or it could decide — and again, 51 members could make that decision — that they’ve heard enough and believe they know what would happen and could move to vote on the two articles of impeachment,” he said. “Those are the options. Not decisions have been made yet.”

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
Recess time until tomorrow.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
Hm, look like Lieu is missing. (oh, he's getting surgery for a heart attack, hope he is well)

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

actionjackson posted:

hahahaha he's bringing up DUIs

Hank Johnson mentioning DUIs on the part of members of the committee. lol

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
Chalupa! Drink

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
Rep Jackson-Lee killing it. I wish she was running the committee.

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

Retro42 posted:

I am somehow STILL caught off guard when Gohmert manages to one up his own stupidity every time he speaks.

now he's talking about roosevelt? :psyduck:

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

Kiranamos posted:

I particularly enjoy that even applying the margin of error they give, it still comes out to a majority impeach and remove.

plurality.

majority = >50%

plurality = biggest chunk

given 100 people:
if A has 30, B has 25, C has 5, and D has 40,
then D has plurality but not a majority.

if A and B join forces, the new groups would be
AB with 55, C with 5, and D with 40.

AB would have both a plurality and majority

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
e: *see below for screenshot of votes*

The Lemondrop Dandy fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 18, 2019

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret

The Lemondrop Dandy posted:

prep to set up debate:
yea 229 nay 197 NV 5

2 dem nays 1 amash yea

3 dem NV
2 rep

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
another procedural

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lemondrop Dandy
Jun 7, 2007

Wedge Regret
Great thread eke out! Cheers and thanks. Hard to manage a combo TVIV/discussion current events thread.