Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

zonohedron posted:

Distinct like Spanish and French, or like Spanish-in-Spain and Spanish-in-Argentina?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ukrainian_language It's descended from Ruthenian, so closer to Lithuanian than Russian I think. They're both East Slavic so more like Spanish and Portuguese I guess?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

'I can't say why the President made the decision not to send the Vice President' masterful

Yeah seems like Castor maybe hosed up by pursuing that line of questioning. This has got to be Goldman's easiest job.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

1glitch0 posted:

"In conclusion, it is my truest and honest belief I do not want to go to jail. Someone please help me."

"In conclusion, I am the megadonor not the puppet did you think I was going to go under for the party?"

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

ewiley posted:

A logjam is a 'hold up'... wtf are they arguing about

He's trying to get him to specifically say that yes Trump blocked the aid (an official act) in exchange for stuff that helped his personal ambitions

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
hmm yes but have you considered maybe they deserved it???

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Could not have had a better GOP lawyer that Castor, short of Giuliani himself

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Wylie posted:

Is Schiff presenting a closing argument here? This is a level of intensity I haven't seen from him before.

This is probably the last public hearing from the House Intelligence Committee. Next up will be the Judiciary.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Unoriginal Name posted:

I hope everyone here who is weeping tears of victory is ready for Mitch McConnell to bury the impeachment in a shallow grave.

All life, too, must end in death

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

What is it with this jackass and dog references?

It's folksy!

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

ummel posted:

Is this Saturday document dump a real thing, or are they just making poo poo up again?

I'd like to know this as well. The House Judiciary Committee released a report in impeachment Saturday, but I don't know of anything else that was released then. And that was only a few hundred pages that news organizations certainly had no issue going through the day it was released.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

oxsnard posted:

What does this accomplish? No one is even watching

I think that's kind of the goal? That and sound bites.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Douchebag posted:

Dumb question here, maybe. But, what's the point of this debate? Is it just so every member of the House gets their couple of minutes to speak?

Basically. You want to have nice ads for re-election time.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
Well, there it is

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Republicans get that they have the numbers to call whoever the gently caress they want, right? So why are they incentiveized to "trade" anything? Or just give Trump whatever witness he demands.

It seems like they're just floating names as a ward against any witnesses being called at all, since the reality is the longer they drag it out the worse they look publicly and the harder they're making their own general elections. I think for most Republicans the ideal outcome is just voting against conviction next week and blowing past anything new.

It's also possible they don't actually have the votes to just call up Hunter and no one else. Every Republican has to figure for themselves the best way to play this to survive up to and past November.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Herstory Begins Now posted:

IMO the real question isn't 'what's the best case scenario for trump?' it's 'what is the absolute worst case scenario that could unfold' because that's a lot more likely than the other.

Something like 5-15 senators break ranks to vote to convict him after weeks of new witnesses and evidence. He won't be removed and the party gets mired in an internal war/purge.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

sexpig by night posted:

they literally didn't get rid of him for raping children, my dude

Hey woah we can't know that for sure *hurriedly kicks a pile of epstein cash into bank vault* look it's all under review. We will always strive to be better.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

oxsnard posted:

Didn't see this posted. Romney made it official

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1223250036559138817?s=20

It comes down to Murkowski. My money is on no, but if she's a yes, Roberts is tie breaking with a yes

She's still got a half hour to make her morning announcement, but it seems very much her and Alexander were just trying to structure their announcements so the retiring senator caught the most flak.

Would be delightful if Roberts was a tie breaker with a yes, but it's clear the GOP has decided protecting Trump is their safest choice.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009
It's really dumb that's what they're going with because it just pisses every one off. Trump's people will accept nothing less than slavish deference, and no one's going to applaud their courage for saying thing bad while doing nothing about the bad thing.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

The Glumslinger posted:

I wonder if they're gonna try to eject him from the party

Maybe, but if they do they lose that senate seat. No one is dislodging Romney from Utah.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Like trump is going to care about anything other than acquittal.

Yeah, why would one of the most notoriously petty men in the entirety of the US care about something small and trivial.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

CyberPingu posted:

I presume we are going to get a couple of approved GoP voters that will vote for removal to make the process seem more "even"

Collins already retreated to the safety of "HE DEFINITELY LEARNED FROM THIS!" so Romney is likely the only one. He's straight up the only person now to vote to convict a president from his own party, it's not the sort of thing you get hall passes for. Unless Collins gets spooked again once more for a third time I guess.