Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

"Since there's going to be literally months more of this poo poo..."

Thanks for the thread! Hoping to the random orbs of the Universe that both the orange fecal smear and the rest of us live long enough to see it get hit by one of those tiny orbs only after a conviction in the Senate.

Also hoping thread-god eke also posts news links both here and in USPOL, at least when hearings aren't in session. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer

Party Plane Jones posted:

Quote this post if you want the ‘I want nothing’ Gang Tag whenever it gets uploaded.

For myself so I can just blindly search through pages and find people quoting these lines: Mohican

Bylat

Otteration fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Nov 20, 2019

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Unoriginal Name posted:

I hope everyone here who is weeping tears of victory is ready for Mitch McConnell to bury the impeachment in a shallow grave.

So we could a just skipped the whole thing and got the same end result and polls and voters and protests and anger at Republicans don't matter and Mitch McConnell is now God?

Cool.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Zotix posted:

I don't see how anyone is going to convince Trump to resign. There's a pair of handcuffs waiting for him the second his Presidential DoJ seal of immunity is removed.

"I don't see how anyone is going to convince Nixon to resign."

Nixon Resigns
washingtonpost.com/August 9, 1974
'Declaring that he has never been a quitter, Mr. Nixon said that to leave office before the end of his term " is abhorrent to every instinct in my body."'
'While the President acknowledged that some of his judgments "were wrong," he made no confession of the "high crimes and misdemeanors" with which the House Judiciary Committee charged him in its bill of impeachment.

Specifically, he did not refer to Judiciary Committee charges that in the cover-up of Watergate crimes he misused government agencies such as the FBI, the Central Intelligence Agency and the Internal Revenue Service.'

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

actionjackson posted:

Yeah but both houses were blue in 1974, and there was definitely less partisanship/tribalism.

The Senate will never get rid of Trump

Whether the poo poo smear will desire to retire of all it was the thought. All things are possible.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Slowpoke! posted:

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1197870420483026944?s=21

I think this was from his Fox and Friends interview.

He’s gonna say it on air at some point.

If he does it's likely another article of impeachment.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Chilichimp posted:

Nixon resigned because the Senate Majority Leader told him they had to votes to convict him, and if he didn't resign they would remove him.

The Senate absolutely should, but absolutely does not have the votes to convict Trump.

Nixon also knew his poll numbers were in the pooper, so he probably realized that the Senate's outlook was unlikely to change.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
When you call, email, facebook, or telegraph your deep-red or purple-state Senator tomorrow or Monday, be sure to ask if they'd appreciate this level of gross incompetence and corruption in the next installed Democratic President.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Rauros posted:

Ha, even Kimmel is calling them bootlickers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIxRMgTtkf0&t=58s

Not. Enough. Anger.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Contacting The Senate

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

kaworu posted:

I've been following this all too closely since the Ukraine story broke in September and I am starting to feel a bit of fatigue with the fact that every successive 'revelation' has *seemed* worse for Trump, and yet at the same time it also *seems* to make absolutely no difference at all.

Depends on your definition of "no difference" and how quickly and how big you think a "difference" should happen. As a thought experiment, ask yourself how you were thinking things would turn out before and after the whistle blower event happened.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

THE PRESIDENT DOESN'T GET REPRESENTATION IN THE IMPEACHMENT HEARINGS! WITCH HUNT!

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1201298020790345730?s=19

"Despite the rare opportunity to present evidence to the grand jury, the defendant declines, just because he's so innocent."

Edit: Edited in wrong thread.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Dec 2, 2019

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Edit: Retracted and sorry, wrong thread.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Dec 4, 2019

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

this is probably really boring. in her public testimony she mentioned that this call was still non-public and she would be happy to talk about it in a classified session, and indicated several times that nothing untoward or particularly relevant happened in this call

it's almost certainly routine obstruction that doesn't benefit them at all, rather than actually trying to hide something significant, given how little she seemed to care about what was said in that particular convo

Routine obstruction. "Routine obstruction" in a political scenario = we get to assume whatever facts we want, like maybe Pence yakked about murdering a horse and subsequently defiling its corpse.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

eke out posted:

please keep whatever slash you're writing out of this thread

Does your discomfort come from the possibility of us not accepting "routine obstruction" as due course, that Pence in his high office should not be subjected to an obstruction charge, or that we should not be so base and loving angry to Swiftly satirize Pence in all possible legal ways?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Missed when impeachment articles would be voted on by the full house and was about to ask, but googled instead:

We have the articles of impeachment. Now what?
cnn.com/Analysis by Chris Cillizza/December 10, 2019

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

PopetasticPerson posted:

People forget that how long the trial lasts will have a big impact on the 2020 primary. Sanders and Warren are going to be stuck in Washington for the duration of the trial and won't be able to campaign in the early states. So a longer trial with more witnesses and testimony benefits Biden. If you accept that Biden is more electable and is a bigger threat to Trump, then it's to the Republican's advantage to shorten the trial as much as possible to give Sanders and Warren a better chance at upsetting him. Since conviction in the Senate is essentially impossible already, that and saving seats ought to be the Republican's priority in how the trial plays out.

Other than that the Senate trial may get full media coverage and your favorite Senator may get some good national air time out of it too, which the other guy will not.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Smeef posted:

I always thought that members of Congress would be really impressive speakers. This could be the defining moment of many of their careers, and instead they just read from a script with less eloquence than a high school graduation speech.

Our heroes in congress are us, hopefully.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
The reading of the crimes, crimes, crimes.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

DO SOMETHING!

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Please enter it into the record that I wish the whistleblower hadn't been exposed until at least a wee bit later so trump would have continued, in a more more obvious and connected way, withholding the Ukraine funds.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

When I do CRIMES! that I'm innocent of, I always make it a point to prevent my minions who witnessed those CRIMES! not being committed from testifying.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

LegionAreI posted:

I'd like unanimous consent to enter into the record that the Representative from Wyoming's father shot someone in the face.

Isn't that like an initiation ceremony into the gang of Cheney though?

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
"They've been working on this impeachment for 3 years! And I can't believe how quickly they've tried to ram this impeachment through! Also, something about the FOUNDING FATHERS!"

"RESPONDED! to the subpoena!"

Wonder if there's a gonna be a cane beating tonight.

Otteration fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Dec 19, 2019

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

The 7th Guest posted:

lol some idiot booed

Needs more UK parliamentary hooting.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
"I'ma gonna accuse you!"

Hooting increases.

"Minority bravery!"

tears.gif

Otteration fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 19, 2019

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Thom12255 posted:

Nobody:

Republicans: ALEXANDER HAMILTON

Wonder how much they're (both sides) gaming on the play.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Drinking game. Take a drink every time someone says something that is really stupid.

Then go to bed early and forget this nonsense!

Like this or not, Congress is about to recess for a bit before the "trial" in January.

The arguments presented today that you like or don't like or that make you sleepy are the ones we get to take into the public forum (twitter and facebook, yay!) and discuss while they're away.

Sadly, the jobs of some House and Senate members may hinge on the arguments we make with each other (on twitter and facebook, yay!).

Maybe even also the job of the orange poo poo smear.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Nothing matters: It'll never ever happen.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Kitfox88 posted:

So what happens after this? Will things suddenly matter or will he just throw a fit on twitter and then give more rallies?

Now we, you and I, get to go out into the world and argue and influence the polls, yay or nay, about whether the orange poo poo smear should be removed from office.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

"The president is angry." :(

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

The story goes like this:

House impeaches
Senate acquits
Trump might lose in November

I already know how this ends.

Lot's of Republican House and Senate members lose their seats 'cause they've continually presented stupid arguments? Yay!

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I hope their constituents are paying attention and ready to vote

Or that their constituents are paying attention and become depressed and decide to stay home. Either way.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Wheezle posted:

Yes this is definitely how republicans vote.

Republicans are not the only voters in their districts. But don't tell anyone, it's a secret.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Gatts posted:

So basically now the story is he is impeached and everyone will talk about this and want to understand from Mitch how he's going to conduct the trial so they can move forward? Pressure on Mitch to respond?

Versus moving it over right away and getting an acquittal?

Feel free to let your friends, relatives, and coworkers know that the orange poo poo smear has been impeached. Polls count, starting now.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

cavallingus posted:

oh good more "nothing matters" bullshit

Not sure if your post is irony, but we can convince chud voters that the orange poo poo smear is poo poo, and we can convince more democratic leaning voters that our way is the good way, and we can also convince chud voters that the orange poo poo smear is toast and that they can stay home in 2020.

All ways are possible.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Disparate group of Republican senators worry White House and GOP leaders ahead of impeachment trial
cnn.com/December 17, 2019
"Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer's high-profile push for witnesses to testify in the Senate's expected impeachment trial of President Donald Trump shifted attention and political pressure on Monday to a handful of Republican senators who have worked diligently to avoid the spotlight.

The disparate group's views on the trial are a concern to the White House and GOP leaders, who are worried some could break and vote with Democrats on key trial-related issues, sources tell CNN.

If four of them were to buck calls from GOP leaders for a short, witness-free trial, it could upend the process and create the kind of wild uncertainty Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell says he has been carefully "coordinating" to avoid in ongoing talks with top White House officials."

No One in the Senate Is Going to Follow the Rules on Impeachment. Try This Instead.
slate.com/Dec 18, 2019
"Mitch McConnell is a nihilist who is impossible to hold to account. But John Roberts may yet be swayed."
'Lawyerly Democrats and principled Republicans have already expressed their outrage at McConnell’s decision to marry the Senate impeachment trial to the president’s tactical defense effort. A close reading of the special oath senators must take, as provided in the Constitution itself, underscores the right to outrage—Rule XXV of the Senate rules in impeachment trials states “I solemnly swear (or affirm) that in all things appertaining to the trial of ____, now pending, I will do impartial justice according to the Constitution and laws, so help me God.” Yes, there it is, right there, in the rules. And therein lies the problem we seem to be having. Three years after Merrick Garland was denied a hearing and vote, we continue to believe that the norms, or even the rules mean anything. Yes, Senate “rules” suggest that senators should behave as unbiased jurors. But rules are not enforceable if nobody cares to enforce them, which is why McConnell has just announced that the Bill Clinton impeachment rules will not govern the Trump impeachment trial.'

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Ogmius815 posted:

I will say that the “Dems wanted to impeach since day one” argument has certainly been bolstered by foolish statements which took a cavalier attitude toward impeachment. Like “we’re going to impeach the motherfucker.” Impeachment is serious business.

We did have valid and serious reasons to impeach before trump got elected though, if we had had the guts to dig into it at all:

"In October 2016, shortly before the presidential election, Donald Trump's personal lawyer Michael Cohen paid Daniels $130,000 in hush money to deny that she had an affair with Trump a decade earlier in 2006.[52][53][54] Trump's spokespersons have denied the affair and accused Daniels of lying.[55][56] On behalf of his client, Cohen denied the existence of an affair between Trump and Daniels,[57] but he later stated: "In a private transaction in 2016, I used my own personal funds to facilitate a payment of $130,000 to Ms. Stephanie Clifford."[58]"

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...ArxJ16shKULFf6z

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

COOL CORN posted:

Wow, I shared this on Facebook (my dad is a conservative preacher, most of my family is very strongly Christian, and I have a few friends from my old red state who are the same) because I thought they would at least engage and have a meaningful conversation on how this all fits into good Christian teachings, and the responses were

"I'll wait to hear what Franklin Graham says"
"CT has long been a left wing mag"
"Sounds like someone should remember 'let he who is without sin cast the first stone'"

...like, appeals to Christianity from BILLY GRAHAM'S MAGAZINE don't even work. There's no getting through. I'm starting to feel the despair coming on now.

Don't know your particular situation, but maybe wait for it. Might take time. Let it simmer some, but add some spices to the edges every now and then, and stir a bit andtaste again. Good gumbo doesn't happen all at once. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Ogmius815 posted:

Hey I post on my phone but at least I know how to use capital letters and punctuation.

Also, none of that is inconsistent. As I pointed out, when Tlaib said “impeach the motherfucker” in January, there were not public facts supporting impeachment. Now there are. You may be a leaf on the winds of ideology, but don’t project that onto me.

"The first reports of an alleged 2006 affair between Trump and Daniels (for which Daniels took a polygraph test) were published in October 2011 by the blog The Dirty and the magazine Life & Style.[3][4] Around the same time, Daniels talked about the alleged affair with the gossip magazine In Touch Weekly, which chose not to publish the interview after Cohen threatened to sue the magazine.[5] On January 12, 2018, The Wall Street Journal reported that Cohen paid Daniels $130,000 in October 2016, a month before the election, to stop her discussing the alleged affair.[6][7]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stormy_Daniels%E2%80%93Donald_Trump_scandal

Impeachable "high crimes and misdemeanors" is what Congress determines.