Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Gnumonic posted:

We probably should have some mechanism to redo an election if there's blatant evidence of hacking but I have no idea which institution you could trust with making that determination. The temptation to abuse that power for partisan ends would be overwhelming.

Most western countries do have such an institution, with courts making the final decision. Of course, with judges being political appointees or elected in the US, this is a bigger problem.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 4, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

vincentpricesboner posted:

Holy poo poo man, I think you might need to absorb less politics because it is seriously bringing you down. Thinking that a literal hundred million people are all demon braindead zealots is quite the take.

62 million people voted for Trump, which is 3 million less than voted for Clinton.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'm sure the supreme court won't stand in the way, so, probably.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The Democrats have always been pretty okay at putting up resistance when it doesn't matter, so this impeachment really doesn't seem to be a slam-dunk for the "Pelosi is a brilliant puppetmaster" wing of the party.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Oh, that's really interesting for sure, man.

BTW, is the moron still president?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

eke out posted:

please stop shitposting in this thread

That wasn't a shitpost, I was posting my genuine amazement at the personell working for Trump.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It'll just be "you don't change horses mid-stream" on an endless loop.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

Why do they have like 2 dozen pens on the podium?

Americans believe that pens touched by presidents while signing bills are magic, and can be used to cure ailments and for general good luck. That's why the president uses like 20 pens for every single signature and then hands those out to bystanders.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Biden running his own email server was obviously very careless and fishy.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
nvm

Lambert fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Jan 17, 2020

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Considering the US doesn't have a "one man, one vote" system, living in the right place is important for your vote to have more weight - doesn't really matter whether its actually a majority of voters when you can govern even with a minority of the votes.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Herstory Begins Now posted:

hell you wouldn't want the trump legal team near an unsupervised minor

What?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
What the hell, it's really always more with Trump.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

FilthyImp posted:

He would have had more if he hadn't stuck his dick into the FBI right after inauguration. What a loving self own.

Doesn't matter, the FBI still loves him.

DandyLion posted:

Of course, they were either going hold a vote the 1st day and give up any pretense whatsoever, or hold one a week and a half later under the silly fake pretense that it was an excessive amount of time since he was already innocent from the start.

The whole point of this was to shave the 1-2% off Trump votes needed to ensure he doesn't get re-elected. Most* accounts indicate that it likely has achieved that result.

It shaved off maybe 0.1-0.2%, if you're lucky. Nobody follows this stuff.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Dapper_Swindler posted:

what the gently caress are you even talking about?

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like saying that 0.1-0.2% of people are not familiar with what is going on with Donald Trump is pretty goddamn dumb. Even if you're a Casual Political Person it's kinda hard to miss "oh hey we almost a war"

You should check the approval ratings charts: This stuff isn't moving the needle at all. And, in fact, Trump is pretty popular now compared to the beginning of his presidency.

And most Trumpists aren't going to accept the notion of "oh hey we almost had a war".

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
What does "compared to" mean? Can't figure thise one out.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Schiff knows this, he's grandstanding because that's his job.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Toobly posted:

I apologize if this has been brought up already (probably a while back or in another thread) but I was reading conflicting things so I was just hoping to clarify it.

Can the Supreme Court Justice say “The Dems make a good argument for witnesses, therefore I’ll allow witnesses”?

One thing I read said “Yes, absolutely.” and the other said “Yes, but the Senate can overrule it.” I’m guessing the latter but that it’d also look really bad for the Senate if they did that?

The senators can always overrule the judge on anything. Roberts is there to do nothing of any substance.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Tibalt posted:

The best reasonably likely outcome right now is that a majority of the Senate vote in favor of removal, including 3 to 8 Republican Senators. In my opinion, having Biden testify hurts that possibility more than having Bolton not testify, and I don't think it's even close.

I'm sorry to tell you, but that's the extremely unlikely fantasy parallel universe outcome. If nothing outrageous happens, no Republican will vote for removal from office.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Considering the result of the hearing is a foregone conclusion, does attendance really matter? Can't blame senators for not staying in a pointless hearing.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

pacerhimself posted:

I mean what can possibly be so bad about blatantly abdicating one of the most important roles in your job.

To the voters, it's not going to matter at all, if we're being honest.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

The Glumslinger posted:

I mean, I'd get in trouble if I just ditched jury duty

But it's not jury duty, and this isn't a trial.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

eke out posted:

trump's legal geniuses making the case that we just don't know what happened

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1221124060530257921

if Manchin feels like he has cover to say this kind of thing and stay closely in line with the democrats here, it's a very good sign

How is this a "good sign"? I'm perplexed.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

If they vote to allow witnesses, Roberts will have the authority to rule on privilege issues and I can't see even him accepting Republican's "gently caress you" theory of executive privilege. The Senate can vote to overrule, but any Republican who has already defected has zero reason to turn back.

Maybe we should remember the words of the great William Rehnquist: "I did nothing in-particular, and I did it very well"

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Dapper_Swindler posted:

oh gently caress off with the nothing matters bullshit.

The only thing to say about this is "lol"

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Framboise posted:

I was thinking about that recently, actually. What is Fox gonna do when the Boomers die off? Are they going to die out with a whimper or radicalize and try to appeal more to the last demographic they possibly could appeal to: alt-right chuds who live on Breitbart, InfoWars, and r/TheDonald?

Basically I can only see them dying off or removing all pretense and going full fash.

All of TV is going to have a big problem in a few decades, younger viewers simply aren't watching TV like the olds do.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

An insane mind posted:

And didn't they have the shittest repub midterms in a while after?

And all that got the Democrats is a small majority in one chamber.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Djarum posted:

Goes back to short term victories while losing the war.

What "short term victories"? The Republican party has been the driving force in US politics for the past 10 years, now.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The founding American protest was a hissy fit about taxes and throwing some tea into a harbor. That should tell you something. American protests are all really small and don't last. This isn't France.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

BiggerBoat posted:

538 hasn't moved

Hm.

Lambert fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Feb 5, 2020

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

SubG posted:

The House voted on the articles on December 18th. As you can see, this clearly inflamed public passions against the impeachment effort, shifting Trump's approval numbers from 43.4% approve/52.2% disapprove on that date to...43.5% approve/52.1% disapprove today. If you just look at 538's numbers for likely/registered voters it's 44.6% and 51.7% before and 44.1%/52.2% today. Hm indeed.

In other news, the White House is allegedly telling reporters that Trump isn't going mention impeachment during the SOTU tonight.

Trump is now way more popular than when he took office. Let that sink in.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

SubG posted:

That is also not what the numbers show. According to the 538 data you just posted his approval was 45.5% and dispproval 41.3% immediately after inauguration, literally the only time he's had net positive approval, at +4.2%. He's currently at 43.5%/52.1%, or a net approval of -8.6%.

So using what you just posted, he's double digits less popular today than when he took office. Specifically 12.8% less.

Yeah, just realized I was looking at the wrong date.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'm the swing voter that doesn't realize Trump is corrupt without the impeachment trial.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
People are all the same, I find it hard to believe there's any appreciable difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Inferior Third Season posted:

W was stupid, but not as stupid as the persona he projected. A good example is his "can't get fooled again" gaffe. He realized that he was about to say "shame on me" directly into a microphone, which would have been cut and used against him, so he made up some nonsense on the spot that was in line with his bumbling idiot persona. So that was quick and clever of him, but if he was actually smart, he wouldn't have put himself in the situation to begin with.

This seems extremely unlikely. He couldn't remember the saying, something that happens with humans from time to time.

Why would "shame on me" be worse than the nonsense he acutally said and that was cut and used against him.