Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SubG posted:

the dollar going "fully digital" is good news for bitcoin because these days physical dollars are only ever used for tipping, drug deals, gambling, and evading currency controls, and so eliminating physical dollars eliminates competition in all of bitcoin's use cases

Tipping gets cut out during the shift over

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cryptoracle posted:

gently caress, you're so close to getting it. The debt valuation inversion you've just described will prove fatal for capitalism.

Read this book https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Debt:_The_First_5000_Years

This is from last month or whatever but I'm catching up and just had to pipe up about how loving confused this post made me. Its been a minute since I read the book but the whole point of it I think is that all debt is political, and there's no real rules on it other than what a society decides should be.

Lmao it directly contradicts this doofus's point

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Main Paineframe posted:

according to the article, it was the same folks, and it wasn't even a distance thing. turns out all their principles and freedoms didn't mean jack poo poo when the Thai government decided they didn't want a libertarian commune anywhere near their coast and sent the navy to support it

being in no country's territory, flying no country's flag, and following no country's laws means no country is gonna intervene to protect you if the neighbors decide to pick a fight

but the whole point of the seasteading concept is to use international waters as One Weird Trick To Evade Government Control. if you're gonna create a libertarian community that has local government approval and follows local laws, might as well just put it on land, rather than bother with all the troubles involved in permanent offshore habitation

gently caress that article is hilarious

Though Romundt doesn’t usually drink, he had a glass of wine and called all his friends saying, “I’m on my own cruise ship for Christmas!” He had the kind of good time it is perhaps only possible to have when you have just made an unbelievably expensive mistake born of a desire to invent an entirely new way of living and involving the purchase of a huge floating vessel. “I was king of the ship!” he said, still delighted.

Seeing the pod’s nascent form, I felt a boringly pragmatic urge to ask Romundt what happened if, once afloat, you needed to buy a pint of milk. My question seemed to miss the point, too wedded to old-fashioned notions of locality and human connection. The Pods had been designed to have a hatch in the roof, Romundt said. He was talking to some drone creators and imagined people flying to their pods independently, landing on the roof and entering through the hatch. Perhaps that’s how you’d get your milk.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

Matt Levine of Bloomberg's Money Stuff has some thoughts on the Coinbase thing, and after reading it I've got some more thoughts on just how many ways in which Coinbase is being dumb and bad:

1) Levine points out that the lending program itself counts as an investment contract and thus a security, independent of the type of assets that the users will lend under the program. But...

2) Levine actually explains the lending program incorrectly. He seems to think users invest bitcoins (not a security, probably), but they would actually invest USDC (an unregistered illegal security offering, probably), per Coinbase's statement. So Levine is correctly identifying one problem (the lending program constitutes an investment contract and thus a security), but he's missing a second problem: Coinbase is soliciting investments by swapping them for unregistered securities issued by a Coinbase affiliate. So now I'm curious - is the SEC focusing on the lending program alone, or are they looking at the lending program and USDC?

3) He also points out that if the lending program isn't ruled an investment contract/security, then it's must be thought of as a interest-bearing deposit account - but then they intend to avoid banking regulations by accepting USDC instead of USD. How can the regulators let that stand? What the hell is Coinbase thinking here, can they really expect the financial regulators to allow them to play this hide-the-dollars shell game, did they think the feds would just throw their hands up in bewilderment and say "welp you got us, you found the one weird trick to escape securities and banking regs!"

Well, USDC is a stable coin right? The tea leaves we're getting from regulators point to any stable coin that has an underlying asset that is a security, than is a security. USDC presumably tracks the dollar...wondering why they left that space there (according to previous comments by Gennsler) to say that it might not be. Maybe if its algorthmic, and sufficiently decentralized? The Hinman comments seem to hint at a way that ICOs and crypto coins can possibly, if they're decentralized enough, not be considered a security.

Wondering if one will ever do so tho

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

This "bitcoin" business is getting so ridiculous lately that even the traditionally-obtuse New York Times is running (good!) op-eds about how ridiculous it is

https://twitter.com/BCAppelbaum/status/1437773005430697993

They've gotten a few such reports this year, but they're worthless (by design) at answering any of the critical questions. Even if we assume the accounting firm that did them is acting in good faith (which is a not-insignificant assumption, since it's a small shop out of the Caymans), the report is limited in scope and written in such a way that it doesn't prove anything at all to a reasonable standard. Those reports are just the accounting firm saying "they showed us some documents saying they had adequate reserves and those documents do indeed say that, but we didn't investigate the source of the assets or look for any debts they have, and we didn't test the existence or the valuation of those assets either. Also we are going to point out their stated accounting policies so that the observant folks reading this are aware that their accounting policies are weird and nonstandard and allow for big problems in how they're measuring the value of those assets."

This is my assumption too, and I became more convinced of this after reading those reserves reports. Those reports are written in a very specific way, which is exactly how I would write them if I was trying not to lie while also desperately trying to avoid making it explicit that I had simply been handing out Tethers to exchanges in return for IOUs.

Yes, this is most exchanges not named Coinbase or Kraken, because most of them can't even get bank accounts due to their unwillingness to follow know-your-customer and anti-money laundering (KYC/AML) banking regulations. Exchanges like Binance and Bitfinex can't keep USD bank accounts, so they need USDTs in order to facilitate trades on their exchange in "USD". Tether themselves had the same problem (they kept running from bank to bank as each bank they opened accounts with closed them down after the realized what Tether was doing), until they supposedly acquired a controlling interest in a bank in the Bahamas a few years back.

The entire reason for USDT's existence is to evade KYC/AML regulations. The exchanges need Tether because they're frozen out of the traditional banking system and need a wildcat bank to issue them fake-dollars that will let them pretend that they're still doing business in "dollars". This is why folks should be wary of getting drawn into bad-faith arguments over Tether's reserves - it doesn't even matter whether their reserves are good or bad, that's besides the point.

From wiki:

While, according to its 2021 settlement with the New York Attorney General Letitia James, "Tether represents to users that any holder of tethers can redeem them from Tether the company at the rate of one tether for one U.S. dollar,"[5] Tether Limited as of 2017 stated that owners of tethers have no contractual right, other legal claims, or guarantee that tethers will or can be redeemed or exchanged for dollars.[6]

Lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

White-collar criminal prosecutions move at a snail's pace, if they even move at all, unless people actually get hit in the wallet - and big numbers of people aren't actually going to get hit in the wallet until the scheme implodes.

Jurisdiction over USDT/Tether is fuzzy: they claim they operate outside of the United States and don't have any American customers. (Which is a lie, and New York State went after them because they did business in NY - but they have less power than the feds and found it easier to settle with Tether after Tether agreed not to touch New York citizens ever.) Cryptocurrencies and related tokens are still somewhat new and there's been a lot of ink and pixels spilled by people trying to declare that they're not commodities or securities and thus the feds should leave them alone. (Which is bullshit in Tether's case, I think it's substantively a digital bearer bond being publicly traded on unregistered exchanges). So the SEC or CFTC or any other agency is gonna have to put some effort into arguing that these are in their purview, and mustering up that effort is a slow process in normal times unless someone's been seriously hurt already. Also, these aren't normal times - we're fresh off a 4-year run where the federal government was run by the type of people who are more likely to run their own crypto scam than to push the money-cops to put the brakes on crypto scams.

Also when it comes to federal prosecutions they have a relatively large budget, and contract out doc review to a pretty sizable team of contractors. Personally familiar with prosecutions where doc review itself took like 2 yrs by itself or more

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kw0134 posted:

reminder that Theranos was founded in 2003, was exposed as fraud in 2015, and only now in 2021 is going to trial. and people were questioning the "tech" behind Theranos from the start.

Personally surprised this wasn't settled before trial.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

So the head of the SEC testified before Congress today on the topics of cryptocurrencies and stablecoins. The senator from PA, a cryptocurrency fan, offered up the crypto industry's attempt to finesse this:

https://twitter.com/jeffjohnroberts/status/1437788617078939651
i anal but I think Toomey here is wrongly implying that all stablecoins are the same, and grossly oversimplifying how we should analyze certain stablecoins under the Howey test, and gliding past all of the other issues that remain even if a given stablecoin isn't a security under the Howey test (is it a derivative that should be regulated by the CFTC? is it functionally a deposit account that should be subject to banking regulations?)

Seems like the SEC chair might have similar thoughts:
https://twitter.com/jeffjohnroberts/status/1437788990992683019
https://twitter.com/jeffjohnroberts/status/1437800351579652103
https://twitter.com/jeffjohnroberts/status/1437802503031201795

While this is all moving painfully slowly, it is nice to see that the feds are getting skeptical of the Schrodinger's dollars scam that Circle and Tether are running

Gentler has so much stuff out there re stablecoins it's kinda striking. But my reading is that it depends, at least for him. Most are, but his comments seem to leave some room for some not qualifying. I think the SEC is gonna get pretty aggressive on stablecoins to get it under their purview, personally.

Toomey's take is really out of the legal mainstream

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

has there been anymore dets and inside details on the investigation into Uniswap/Coinbase? Other than the CEO of the latter's hilarious meltdown

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Computer Serf posted:

helium is using LORAWAN and licensing their "hotspot miners" to "hardware" companies that sell $300 raspberry pis

if you try to ask who the target user of the helium network is you’ll get answers like iot, rental scooters, farmers paying to use sensors, and scientists who all would definitely have access to cheaper devices and free/cheap data but someone apparently is setting a price floor for all the helium tokens

a16z is a venture capital firm that’s basically pumping money into a bunch of these crypto schemes

https://youtube.com/watch?v=kv1EKsxDrdQ

Well the argument with supposedly decentralized exchanges like Uniswap is that because their governance proposals are decided by token holders instead of a board of directors, that it counts as being decentralized. But a16z and other VCs grab an untold amount of tokens in the first round of placements of these orgs. Doesn't that mean they essentially are a centralizing entity?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

:thejoke:

iirc the original explanation was that he wanted to buy model trains from japan without the currency conversion though, I only assumed there was some underlying "I need to make a database for my trains but it needs to be real secret so people can't mess with it" thinking beforehand because blockchain poo poo always comes off like it's basically a rolodex but complicated for no reason.

I once looked at a presentation for a start up that would marry blockchaib to trucking. Like it was an image of a bitcoin plus a truck plus ??? = profit

I wish I could find it it was amazing

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Buttcion the magical fruit the more you buy the more you poop

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Sep 18, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This was absolutely not written by a lawyer.

Some blockbro cheaper out on paying one to disrupt the ability to be sued

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol Coinbase just gave up their lend program

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Butt hosed coin

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

EorayMel posted:

Bitcoin is a P2P currency that could topple governments, destabilize economies and create uncontrollable global bazaars for contraband. (...) After month of research and discovery, we've learned the following:
1. Bitcoin is a technologically sound project.
2. Bitcoin is unstoppable without end-user prosecution.
3. Bitcoin is the most dangerous open-source project ever created.
4. Bitcoin may be the most dangerous technological project since the internet itself.
5. Bitcoin is a political statement by technotarians (technological libertarians).*
6. Bitcoins will change the world unless governments ban them with harsh penalties.

Lol I probably lurked this thread lolling at the idiots who went in on this

Turns out that I missed out I guess

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Boxturret posted:

possibly real bitcoiner in gibbis?

Really the administrative fees is the real reason why studios are too overwhelmed to pay out profits to artists!!!!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Punisher: Stare Zone

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/CoinersTakingLs/status/1454134841012752384

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

This loving freak? We were making fun of this far gently caress in 2004.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

My brother is an IP/media lawyer and told me yesterday his company is positioning him as their crypto/NFT expert, and apparently something specifically to do with CumRocket.

I did immediately share with him that the key phrase is "it can't possibly be that stupid, you must have explained it wrong"

I suppose profiting out of people doing dumb crypto stuff by writing their contracts is less bad than actually getting involved in crypto, but I will be keeping a close eye out for any pooptouching

lemme know if he degenerates, since I'm kinda doing the same thing lol.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/itolduiamright/status/1460883014997528576

https://twitter.com/itolduiamright/status/1460893121571475458

buttcoin: you keep ignoring the speed of planes

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 25, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shifty Pony posted:

and people don't do that because one of the responsibilities of a bartender is to cut off drunks.

the payment isn't the problem. there's nothing for Bitcoin to solve here, or anywhere really.

They also prevent children from being in bars and drinking but with these people it would be a positive

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sombrerotron posted:

anyway does anyone have any idea what the legal concept is behind buying this episode? i went to the bit.ly link and it told me nothing except that somehow at the time of writing it has 211 owners. are you supposed to be entitled to a cut of whatever revenue it might make, or be able to decide in any way on how this IP is used, or is it simply another case of "idiot people are expected to be willing to pay massive amounts of money for this for no remotely sensible reason whatsoever, so you'd better get in on it right now if you want to get rich"?

There's no way to know exactly what's going IPwise without looking at the ToS associated with the entity sending this poo poo out, but yeah it being a nonexclusive license revocable upon the grantor's discretion wouldn't surprise me. Transfer of IP rights would entail an additional contract or something that can be construed as a contract.

That reminds me I ought do a deep dive on IP rights associated with NFTs (lol) someday. I'm sure there's some mordant commentary on it out there.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Paladinus posted:

Apparently, just for 25K dollars, you can get your NFT scam promoted by Soulja Boy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ryEQhaRQ6V4

Looked up the twitter handle of the person giving this guy his info about influencers and NFTs, and they're doing a great job showing the life cycle of some of these projects

https://twitter.com/zachxbt/status/1410356555124518920

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

SubG posted:

of course you want to pay for your bitcoin pizza with worthless fiat. remember that guy laszlo who paid 10k btc for a pizza? if he'd held onto those bitcoins, today they'd be worth nearly half a billion dollars to whoever ended up stealing his wallet

lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://mobile.twitter.com/fancysandwiches/status/1468249416473718792

https://mobile.twitter.com/fancysandwiches/status/1468256535948283920

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Phrenology but only for libertarians

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Dec 12, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Good news: I'm getting my first ever bonus

Bad news: it's in crypto

Now I gotta learn what the gently caress a wallet is lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I get paid in normal money. Except for this bonus lol

It's just funny guess I didn't get one this year

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

infernal machines posted:

well, good luck with that. let us know how it goes

Will do

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Blotto_Otter posted:

rrrrrrreally curious to know what OP's W-2 looks like in a month and a half, if they live in the US. not putting it on there would be obvious tax evasion, but putting in on there is gonna be a PITA and piss off a bunch of employees, so, either way it should be entertaining

I've been an independent contractor since August. My taxes are already a mess..

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

epitaph posted:

https://twitter.com/DoesItPlay1/status/1472517736722960388

the “everything’s a ponzi scheme” era is upon us

Looking forward to filing with the SEC everytime I get a new sword in Zelda

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Erenthal posted:

nothing better than seeing these rotten corpses of business long since faded into history try to claw their way into some sort of twisted come back based on this god awful pyramid scheme construction, just to join this doomed fellowship of the nonces

I was looking up old SEC enforcement actions and guess who got sued for doing a fraudelent ICO?

Jack Abramoff lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

found this to post in the bubel thread originally but y'all should know that proof of steak is coming soon as of 2018

https://twitter.com/CowCoinCrypto/status/1031325991958970368

cattle is literally a commodity, securities started with Chicago Cattle Exchanges in the 19th C lol

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://twitter.com/brassman666/status/1472972105193033740/photo/1

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

that ceo poo poo is the funniest thing I've seen in weeks

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

EorayMel posted:

Greatest ever. Thank you lawd jesus for giving us this story with accompanying pictures. Roo - were you ever planning on skinning a pig in Hawaii, because if not - that's a major life changing thing!

6 shots though SM? Really? :clint:

lol i went through this entire thread is there any followup other than the OP sadquitting doing updates

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

EorayMel posted:

Sorry nothing.

Hopefully he got swept up by a wave of angry hogs into a lava tube

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

So if you didn't see my last post I still have that stupid 1500 dollars of tether I got as a bonus on Xmas. Can't figure out how to cash it all and just give the whole loving thing to the IRS. I set up a MetaMask and a Gemini account, but to transfer the tether I need to exchange it for ETH, and apparantly 1500 isn't enough for 1 ETH, so I guess I'm supposed to put more money in? Thoughts, prayers, any way to get out of this would appreciated.