Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I've hated crypto since I learned about it in 2011, but am curious about the inner workings of smart contracts.

How cursed would it be to build something in a system I have seething contempt for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

the internet was a mistake but this new version is looking, somehow, even worse

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

The Management posted:

hi thread, long time no see.

so, I understand the dumb concepts behind buttcoins and nfts. what I don’t understand is apes. why are these idiots paying for ape pictures? this is a serious question.

Some of the people putting together NFT "collection" projects are rich and well connected. I assume almost all of them engage in wash trading.

It's manufactured clout and FOMO.

The "Bored Ape Yacht Club" tokens theoretically allow you entry to special events: https://www.theverge.com/22824387/bored-ape-yacht-club-nft-party-new-york

Bullshit like this swirls around NYC with some regularity, this one just escaped into the wilds of the internet.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I've always wondered how many humans have access to the gigantic wallets at crypto exchanges like CoinBase.

Surely there's some handful of DevOps nerds who could just gently caress off to an island with millions... right?

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

This was a good read and surprisingly non-insane.

I’m not used to that in this ecosystem.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Some bigger names in tech coming out swinging against crypto these days:

https://twitter.com/kelseyhightower/status/1486017335005614080

A lot of computer touchers quietly hate crypto, I'm excited to see more of them forcefully and loudly condemning it.

Bullying works etc.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

https://twitter.com/smdiehl/status/1486474030014099457

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Oh I get it now, post-scarcity means unlimited artificial scarcity:

https://twitter.com/heyellieday/status/1486345205083443205

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Sandweed posted:

Ubi also hosed up and used a marketplace where you can't buy anonymously so the cryptobros couldn't pump the price up with fake sales.

This seems to be the same reason the GBTC trust trades at a discount to the bitcoins it holds.

Turns out if you have to use your name and REAL MONEY to buy crypto, the price is complete garbage. If you get to wash trade and use "fully backed" stable coins, the price soars.

WHAT COULD IT POSSIBLY MEAN?!

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

look code was law

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

lmao all the celeb "buying" NFTs are coming from a "concierge" service that's probably giving them away, if not paying the celebs:

https://twitter.com/nftethics/status/1487089759306629127

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

help im touching the poop it is so bad I knew it would be bad but I just wanted to see for myself what a smart contract was under the hood

in the local dev ethereum hellstorm you need fake money to do your fake transactions because every element of this godforsaken system is financialized

I tried to look up string concatenation in solidity but hahaha why would you ever want to do that you shouldn't do that can you IMAGINE the cost of such a thing on the DISTRIBUTED NIGHTMARE COMPUTER CHAIN hahahaha get hosed nerd store your strings off chain loser GOD

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Spatial posted:

but just think of the possibilities of the entire planet sharing the power of a single microcontroller to run programs on*.

*compute capability: 0.6 MIPS
*cost to run program: $250/sec equivalent + surge pricing (does not include power)
*power consumption: 12 billion watts

shhhh somebody's going to try to multithread Ethereum if you keep talking like that

"Gentleman, it took us 4 years, 23,000,000 lines of code, two hacks that would have ended the project if Vitalik (PBUH) hadn't reversed them with his trustless fingers of decentralization, but we have arrived. You can now do 1.2 (thread safe) MIPS, all for the low cost of 24 billion watts. IGNITE THE BEACON AND UNITE THE CHAINS."

coelomate fucked around with this message at 12:51 on Feb 1, 2022

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

People here are being overly dramatic. To turn $1,500 tether into like $1,490 U.S. Dollars in a bank account:

(1) Open an account at https://coinbase.com/. It's a very large, very real company with legit banking relationships and tax compliance and etc.

(2) Click "send / receive", receive, change your asset to tether. This will show you the wallet address you need to send the tether to.

You will need some Ether (the unit of account on the Ethereum blockchain) to send tether to pay a transaction fee, since the tether itself can't be used to pay transaction fees. The transaction fee is probably pennies or dollars, not hundreds. You can use your coinbase account to buy the Ether via some supported fiat method, and then send it to your wallet with the tether.

Crypto is horrible but this small transaction is no big deal. You're not going to get scammed, identity thefted, or audited.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Back in my day we literally bought bitcoin by depositing cash into specific bank accounts, taking a picture of a receipt, and emailing it to somebody.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

infernal machines posted:

you were an idiot

yes

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

OK it looks like Ethereum transaction fees are like $20 per send now, which is annoying because you probably will need to buy like $50 worth of Ether, since you'll have to pay the fee to send it to your wallet with the tether AND the fee to send it from that wallet to coinbase.

lol this is all definitely very dumb. I am sorry it is happening to you.

$1,500 after coinbase fees and Ether transaction fees will probs be more like $1,400 but that's still enough beer to drink until this is funny-sad instead of just stupid-sad.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

god this is all dumb ok NEW ESTIMATE:

(1) Small fee to buy Ether with your dollars at Coinbase using whatever method

(1) Small fee to send Ether you buy at Coinbase to the wallet with the tether, because Just Sending Ether isn't that expensive

(2) Medium fee (~$21) to send the Tethers to your Coinbase account because of course Tether is a complicated derivative smart contract thing build on top of Ethereum and thus ~ burns more gas ~ when it moves.

(3) Medium-large fee to sell your Tethers for dollars to a bank account at Coinbase

god I hate loving crypto

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

somebody already sent him the poop

he just has to touch it long enough to get it off his shoe

yes yes and upload high resolution scans of his drivers license, social security card, anus, etc. to a trust worthy ~ tech company ~

oh and don't copy paste error or all funbux will be gone

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

All I'm saying is I once had almost exactly this much USD worth of bitcoin on an old harddrive form loving around with mining. I followed steps like this and turned the money into a nice vacation :unsmith:

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

neutral milf hotel posted:

re: getting paid in tethers

the only winning move is to not play

sell the wallet to someone else who actively touches the poop, rather than worry about gas fees and giving PII to some online bank

Successfully "sell[ing] the wallet to someone else" will be an absurdist performance art too. Probably fishing recovery phases or private keys out of a chrome extension, and convincing a true believer that (a) coins are there, and (b) you will not remove them before they do.

Money of the future folks!

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

The $1,500 in Tether given out at bonuses probably comes from somebody striking it "rich" on a crypto pump and dump, then running into similar roadblocks cashing out.

If you have $10,000 in crypto, it'll be annoying and a little lossy but 99% chance you can get dollars in your bank account.

Once you have more like $100,000 or $1,000,000 or more the story changes, because the highly regulated exchanges all have daily transaction limits and rapidly escalating KYC steps for handling large volumes.

The difficulty of turning crypto into real money is partially why there's so much crypto sloshing around for "DeFi", wash sales on OpenSea, etc.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Hammerite posted:

it is impossible to satirise cryptocurrency and nfts

this fact makes me so sad

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Potrzebie posted:

buttcoin: this worked well until it didn't and he lost all his money

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

don't worry just when you think you might be getting your head around it the braintrust drops a fresh

> EIP-4635: Semi-fungible token standard

on you

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I'm encouraged that this video is a breakout success for him. Many of this other popular videos have fewer views despite being years older.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

It's astonishingly easy to create your own crypto currency.

Back in 2011, I remember thinking Bitcoin was doomed because it wasn't meaningfully scarce if anybody could start "Bitcoin 2" using identical code and concepts.

They really showed me how naïve I was by making beautiful, complicated machines that do nothing but churn out new cryptocurrencies. Like there are webforms that you click which features you want and it will spit out all 20 lines of code you need, mostly pulling from standard libraries. Pick your name, symbol, and how much to pre-mint to yourself then BAM. You're not only your own bank, you're issuing your own scrip!

:smithicide:

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Shumagorath posted:

buttcoin: 3. I never EVER used gofundme to buy a mutant.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Hammerite posted:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/601629

I know, internet petitions lol

but I have impotently advocated for banning crypto mining itt before, so I would be a hypocrite if I didn't endorse this

I know an internet petition won't do it, but I really hope we get there.

And I hope we get there without a financial meltdown like the one that got us securities regulations in the U.S. during/after the great depression :sun:

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

$mint

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

I report every bullshit crypto add I see on social media, and Twitter has started confirming my kills:

quote:

An update on your reports
Thanks again for letting us know. Our investigation found these accounts violated the Twitter Rules:

Prime Ape Planet
@Karl91707536

Prime Ape Planet
@Cyrstal44138474

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

lol

lmao

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

oops, ran out of money and have to shut down:

https://www.bitprime.co.nz/important-notice-for-all-customers/

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Shifty Pony posted:

indirectly all of it.

Bitcoin is the love child of a bunch of libertarians who saw how hosed the US banking system crashed the economy with constant bubbles, a lack of accountability, and toothless oversight and said "regulation is the problem, if we made a system with zero regulation everything would be perfect".

Delightfully ironic that Big Recession #1 created bitcoin and Big Recession #2 will kill it and/or a ton of its friends.

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Boxturret posted:

every coin contains a tiny bit of the president, so we have to wait until they die and are properly processed before making more

hold the phone this is a great NFT use case

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Goxxed again!

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

monday is gonna be a fun news day

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

Caros posted:

DFDIC 2.0

in the event of a bank run, insurance funds will be minted and airdropped to your wallet address

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coelomate
Oct 21, 2020

18% layoffs at Coinbase

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/06/14/coinbase-lays-off-18percent-as-execs-prepare-for-recession-crypto-winter.html