Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

cyberbug posted:

Have a pretty bonkers motorcycle chase from Finland: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1vHwz8FVa8

Amazingly nobody gets hurt even though they re-enact everything from Isle of Man TT to motocross

There's some fun to be had following this chase along in Google street view, if you're into that sort of thing. Start about here, facing east.
Tricky when he goes off-road, of course.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Jan 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

corgski posted:

Oooh have fun cleaning up the haze juice.

Urgh, my hands felt oily as soon as I read this. You bastard, that life was 30 years ago!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I'm not a first-year engineering student so I have no idea, but are the stresses all transmitted to the bottom container that has to bear the brunt, or does locking them together share it out?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

When I was in high school I took a shop class for nerds, something offered at the local vocational school that was directed at gifted students. We had to create a product, make it and sell it. In the 6 or 8 weeks of the class, we had three students go to the ER. 1 drill press into a finger, one webbing between thumb and forefinger cut with a bandsaw, and one piece of wood into a thigh from a kickback from the planer. But we all got to split the profits from our sales, so I made like $80.

My highschool woodshop story is slightly different, not involving power tools. The class was for kids about 13 years of age, so nothing too technical. For some reason we had to all take the handles off a bunch of fine-point chisels or gouges to swap them for some other type. Imagine a bunch of kids all with the tool held tight to their chests, struggling to yank the 2 pieces apart.

The kid next to me is a lot taller, and he has the handle against his chest and the blade part suddenly comes loose and his hand with the gouge blade flies out in an arc that ends at my eye socket. It missed my eyeball by about half an inch at the most. I go down like a sack of potatoes with my hands over my eye, blood going everywhere. I imagine the shop teacher poo poo himself on the spot.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Thank you for this, as I'd probably not have heard otherwise. The Secret Life of Machines is a great series, with some very OSHA-looking stuff in it. The bit with them using a welder to heat a pencil up enough for the carbon to glow white hot makes me cringe every time.

e: the bit that kicks in around here, but I recommend watching the whole thing as well as every other episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvE-m2ueOzI&t=195s

Gromit fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Mar 2, 2021

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

omg I'm so excited. I love The Secret Life of Machines--it's one of those things from my childhood that was just as wonderful when I went back to it as an adult

Even better, check out this quote from Tim on Youtube:

quote:

I'm amazed and delighted that so many people are interested in this! People are also going on to watch some of the old 'Secret life of Machines series so I'm pleased to announce that there are new remastered and upscaled HD versions which I will upload next week. Using machine learning software from Topaz labs Norman Margolus has done a brilliant job - they are a huge improvement.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

MrYenko posted:

Secret Life of Machines is one of the best things ever put on television.

:colbert:

I couldn't agree more.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Kith posted:

we like expensive catastrophes where nobody gets hurt, right

https://i.imgur.com/wtCuGKs.mp4

That last guy getting out from between the counterweights - yikes.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

This is like the Swedish bookstore scene in Top Secret.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Humphreys posted:

Yeah I used to film welding professionally for a lot of years. Not a single sensor burnt out. LASERs on the other hand are nasty stuff. And so is coal dust, so a lot of our lenses were marked if they were on-site or corporate use.

This reminded me that back in the late 80s or early 90s we were hired by Channel 10 TV in Sydney for their Towards/Beyond 2000 TV show. They were doing a spot on data CDs or something and wanted a high-power laser to do some effects. We warned them not to get their studio cameras in a position where the beam would fire straight into the lens.

After doing the spot with the guy (Iain Finlay maybe?) they wanted us to do some other effects for them just for general use so we had some smoke and did a few fans and waves. The cameraman got right into the effect but angled his machine too high and got the beam straight down the barrel of the monster studio camera. The monitor flared out and from then on there was a big black spot in the middle of it. Ouch. 7 watts of water-cooled argon tube laser.

Wish I could find the episode on Youtube but no luck so far.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

iroc.dis posted:

40k PSI water will cut right through the nastiest poo poo inside of a boiler, and as you would imagine, will easily cut off the limb of a person if they aren't wearing the right PPE.

What the heck is the "right PPE" to save you when you sweep a 40k PSI waterjet over your leg? Powered mech armour?

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I thought they were spring-loaded rollerblades for a moment, and that was terrifying.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

iroc.dis posted:

This guy had it. Kevlar suits made for ultra high pressure water. I can't remember off the top of my head who made them, sme company out of Europe I think. They were pretty expensive as you would imagine.

You can see the sort of suit we would use in this Mistras video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbT7AYv1XE4&t=113s

With steel liners across the lower leg (at least), by the looks of it. Thanks.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

They need to let Genki Sudo and the World Order guys choreograph some stuff.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

All this talk about mouse pointers, I'm surprised more OCD people don't freak out about the thing not being symmetrical. Scaling it up would just make it worse.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Cojawfee posted:

He's still tied to the line isn't he? I don't see how him doing that is any more dangerous than anything else he's doing.

I think you missed "Envy people with no fear of heights like that."

To some of us it's terrifying whether you're tied off or not.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

It's only a matter of time before I post a tale of woe here. I've got a power board in my home that has 20 sockets on it. :v:

A friend pulled it out of an old server room and it was just too unusual for me to pass up on. I hardly load it at all, but it's crazy to see.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Missed an opportunity to fill it with balloons of red food colouring.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Wow. Those few seconds that start at about 1:09 actually caused me to yell out. And not in an erotic way.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

If you've got megayacht money, I'd think that just ramming into the docks and all those normal yachts owned by poor people is just a bit of fun for the owner.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

The Lone Badger posted:

For those watching from other countries, that is a saltwater crocodile and they will absolutely eat humans if given an opportunity.

Yeah. If people disappear in the northern ends of Australia that's probably where they ended up. At the southern side they'd be in someone's basement.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

TotalLossBrain posted:

I grew up north of the line and we definitely had Ick or Icke instead of Ich. But a k in machen? Never heard anyone say that growing up. I suspect this applies to dialects that have to be practiced/maintained rather than common 20th century German?

You might have solved a 40-year-old mystery for me. My mother was German, her family being from the far north, and while I'm slightly mad I didn't learn German as a second language as I grew up, she did teach me a little here and there (but I showed no real interest, much to my current dismay). Anyway, she taught me to pronounce ich like a cat hissing but when I had to do German in highschool the teacher always corrected me to say it more like ick. I thought I was going mad, and my mother had died by then so I couldn't ask her about it.

Much later I thought it might have been a regional dialect thing, but never investigated it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

TotalLossBrain posted:

Could have been the teacher's inability to pronounce it right. Both the smooth and rough "ch" sounds that German has are difficult for US speakers for some reason. Saying "Ick" is kind of a shortcut to saying it right.

Or he really was a genuine Berliner

She was German herself, so it must have been a regional thing.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Antigravitas posted:

"like a cat hissing" is the correct pronunciation in high German, though it's a soft "hiss" (tongue in the middle). Swiss German uses a very hard "hiss" for the ch (tongue all the way back). Pronouncing it as ck exists but probably shouldn't be taught to foreigners because it's a regionalism.

Sounds like my mum spoke high German then. Thanks for the extra detail, as I've had no contact with the German side of my family for over 30 years so it's mostly a mystery to me.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Check out some more wacky hi-jinx these mad lads get up to. It's Forza Horizon, but real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32I0Qso4sDg&t=52s

I'm glad that driver has the decency to look like he's concentrating on not making GBS threads his pants for most of that.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

It is also a telekinetic tire. Rubber is an amazing film.

What's really amazing is that the tyre being telekinetic is probably the sanest part of the movie. It goes absolutely bonkers.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you still haven't sorted it out, it's a boom lift and the arm is obscured by the basket thanks to the photographer's perspective.

But that other guy is actually sheltering from the rain under that suspended traffic cone.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

thehandtruck posted:

Do you know where the full video is? I wanna see their test at the "safe" location.

It might just jump to this stage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLbuwj_6vMg

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Wasabi the J posted:

Unburied this just to lol at the fact this starts with the lady shouting PUTANG INA!

Which is probably what that tech thought after getting a bowl to the dome.

I mean, if you like seeing bowls to the dome...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZVzcsq3TfE

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Scam Likely posted:

My cousin just introduced me to a video of a man doing a bong rip of a Carolina Reaper, and by God if the content itself doesn't make you internet famous, the video comments ought to.

It must be the same one I saw years ago. The guy ends up speaking in tongues.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

This is basically a toy with a beer can-sized capacitor that could kill you a lot more easily than the projectiles could.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwHRjgVWFno

Yeah, these coil guns are fairly lovely. Projectiles are not rifled so they are innaccurate, and come out pretty slowly. You got to start somewhere but I'm not sure where the tech will go. I assume we need better power storage and delivery to give it a lot more oomph.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

It has a collar on, but that still seems crazy.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

My car dreams always involve the brakes not working very well, like I really have to ram the pedal down to do anything, and the car almost never fully stops. I can't help but feel this is my subconscious telling me my lovemaking is poo poo or something.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Ablative posted:

gently caress, there was a Grand Tour episode where they went to a track that had a close-to-90-degree bank, but I can't for the life of me remember where it was or what it was called.

The Spanish one? 78 degrees at the top, but more like 45 in the middle. 45 degrees is a lot steeper than it sounds when you are standing there.

e: oops, well beaten. Looks like there was another page!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

FirstnameLastname posted:

Brake fluid(Very toxic btw, don't gently caress around with it, it's full of methanol and touching it can make you go loving blind)

For safety, sprinkle pool chlorine powder over any brake fluid spills.

Don't do that, it bursts into flame!

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Mister Speaker posted:

I also thought the 3D in Avatar looked great in theatres.

Agreed. I saw it a second time with a friend and his dad. The dad had misgivings because 3D movies up to that point were usually gimmicky poo poo but we told him it was good. During the previews for other 3D movies I leaned over and said to him "it's way better than all this poo poo" and he was really happy to hear it.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

monolithburger posted:

It also used to be illegal to be a bus driver and NOT look like this

(the socks count as PPE)

Those are highschool shop teachers.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Cable Guy posted:

Storms, like sinks, spin in the opposite direction in the Southern Hemisphere, yes.

All my sinks must have seized up, but to be honest I've never lubricated them so that's on me.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

Hollismason posted:

You gonna get arrested by the forklift police

Someone must have AI-generated a forklift cop car by now, surely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

monolithburger posted:

gently caress Tha Pooleece

* reversing beep beep * that's tha sound of the pooleece!