Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

pseudorandom posted:

God drat, I only made it 8 minutes through, and the thing that impresses me most is how un-OSHA all of the stunt work is. Like, jumping off a rail car into a sign post/tiny stunt mat/platform wall/etc (Edit: forgot the attaching air lines between cars when they suddenly begin moving). Obviously this guy knows how to do things properly but a lot of the stunts seems like they're fractions of a second away from actually being real injuries :stonk:

safety wasn't much of a priority in the film industry for a long time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbNnYpxbGTk

In this clip Buster Keaton broke his neck while swinging down and opening the spout of a large water tank over his head. They hadn't tested the stunt before and the force of the water was much stronger than expected, smashing Keaton into the ground. Keaton was kind of like Jackie Chan in that he insisted on doing all of his own stunts, and also like Jackie Chan, would severely injure himself repeatedly in the process.

Bonus unrelated clip
https://i.imgur.com/sBi9a2E.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Since this is a new thread I think it's time to get this one back in here:

http://www.sciforums.com/threads/vacuum-pockets-and-safety-nazis.41446/

this is funny but I can't be mad at the safety Nazi. He's obviously taking his job and safety seriously but just doesn't have the education or training necessary to understand why his charts were misleading him on this problem. It kind of reminds me of the hazmat guys on this channel and their advice, which always starts with "look at your charts"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVq1EGUV03Y

I can't help giggling at the start of this video when they're like "if you get the wrong thought process in your brain you can say to yourself (about the angry red cloud of gas flooding out of a chemical truck), Nitrogen dioxide? Well Nitrogen's in the air? No big deal." Knowing even a little bit about chemistry that would obviously be a ridiculous response, but the kind of people who are the first responders to chemical leaks don't necessarily know anything about chemistry or vacuums or gas dynamics, and they know they don't know it. They have to be able to rely on and trust proper procedures, and if their check lists lead to them being overly cautious sometimes its not their fault, its the fault of the MSDS or the training.

On the subject of nitrogen dioxide, ad since someone else brought up respecting grain, I recently found out that besides occasionally exploding and sucking people to their deaths silos can also release suffocating clouds of nitrogen oxides!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PJ2WFxqMbw

In the comments on the silo video some guy describes how he was standing next to a vent one time when there was a gas release that instantly overcame him, he woke up some time later dangling over a catwalk

Squalid fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 5, 2019

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

this video did not go the way I expected

neither does this one

https://i.imgur.com/zq5KBHT.mp4

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Nenonen posted:

I should have suspected something when they said their Mein Pumpf line would last for a thousand years...

lol

DarkDobe posted:

I like the part where the eucalyptus trees respond to being burned (not an uncommon occurence) by secreting extra poison in new blossoms. Koalas are a mistake.

how do koalas deal with wildfires where people aren't around? Obviously they've been able to survive with fire for millions of years, why are they struggling now?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Platystemon posted:

If you were sedated, kidnapped, and put in a zoo, you might find it hard to get it up, too.

this problem was so bad, there's actually a real danger of inbreeding in captive pandas because a huge proportion of those alive today today are descended from the one male Chad Panda that was an exhibitionist and didn't give a crap about loving in front of a human audience. Some biologists are concerned that the captive breeding program has been inadvertently "domesticating" them, in the sense that they are evolving to better survive in captivity.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

You'd think he would have stopped doing stupid poo poo after the ATF or whoever investigated his shed after he was making explosives and posting it to youtube.

i felt bad when i watched this video, because he's obviously endangering himself in order to make himself and youtube money. Obviously there are difficulties applying OSHA regulations to this kind of self produced content but when people are seriously hurting themselves chasing youtube fame it's a real problem.

Another video that i think illustrates these problems is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hktmsFspif0

Worse to me than the idiot FPSRussia guy nearly killing himself, he also repeatedly endangered the life of his camera man, even demanding he continue filming after being injured as a result of an explosion. It's probably a good think this guy had all his guns confiscated by ATF

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

luxury handset posted:

imagine being a fish getting pulled into a firefighting bomber

hmm. . . . the experience might feel a bit like those of the fish in both of these gifs:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

speaking of scalping, a good bit of OSHA advice for service members: don't get blackout drunk in an active warzone!

quote:

A fascinating scalping incident occurred as the siege of the English forts at Oswego, NY, were about to commence. In May, 1756, French allied Indians skulked about the forts to inflict what casualties they could. Stephen Cross, a shipbuilder from Massachusetts, records on May 25th that "one of our soldiers came in from the edge of the woods, where it seems he had lain all night having been out on the evening party the day before and got drunk and could not get in, and not being missed, but on seeing him found he had lost his scalp, but he could not tell how nor when, having no others around. We supposed the Indians had stumbled over him in the dark, and supposed him dead, and taken off his scalp."30 Patrick Mackeller also mentioned the incident in his journal and added "he afterwards recover'd."31

i wonder if your lieutenant would be more pissed if you tried to come back from a patrol without your handgun or without your scalp?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

the Irn Bru alone makes this ration a war crime.

everydayfalls posted:

The big explody tank a few posts back is what happens.

For content:

it seems like the most terrible OSHA cringe videos all come out of India. The machine in the beginning of this video almost makes me feel nautious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0E4SkTcCB8c

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

i am harry posted:

Just mix the fumes and smoke with steam so it looks good coming out the top.

this practice is what got the world's first laws about disposal of industrial chemicals passed.

quote:

The Leblanc process plants were quite damaging to the local environment. The process of generating salt cake from salt and sulfuric acid released hydrochloric acid gas, and because this acid was industrially useless in the early 19th century, it was simply vented into the atmosphere. . .

Because of their noxious emissions, Leblanc soda works became targets of lawsuits and legislation. An 1839 suit against soda works alleged, "the gas from these manufactories is of such a deleterious nature as to blight everything within its influence, and is alike baneful to health and property. The herbage of the fields in their vicinity is scorched, the gardens neither yield fruit nor vegetables; many flourishing trees have lately become rotten naked sticks. Cattle and poultry droop and pine away. It tarnishes the furniture in our houses, and when we are exposed to it, which is of frequent occurrence, we are afflicted with coughs and pains in the head ... all of which we attribute to the Alkali works."[10]

In 1863, the British Parliament passed the first of several Alkali Acts, the first modern air pollution legislation. This act allowed that no more than 5% of the hydrochloric acid produced by alkali plants could be vented to the atmosphere. To comply with the legislation, soda works passed the escaping hydrogen chloride gas up through a tower packed with charcoal, where it was absorbed by water flowing in the other direction. The chemical works usually dumped the resulting hydrochloric acid solution into nearby bodies of water, killing fish and other aquatic life.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I'm pretty sure it looks worse than it actually is. I can't quite tell if he shatters the window with his chin or if it hits the window frames or whatever - that looks like one of the worst things in the GIF to my eye.

i think the window was actually broken by something inside the vehicle which shifted into it when the car came to a rapid stop. In fact i don't think the car really impacted the guy at all, if you focus on the wheels you can see they lock up as the breaks go on

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

HelleSpud posted:

If we're going on a toxic tour of Australian towns we might as call on our old friend asbestos.

there's a horrifying genre of safari documentary where journalists go to these old asbestos mining towns in full PPE gear and interview a bunch of people just standing around in asbestos dust, gasping for breath as they go on about how safe they feel

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PaHw_bGI2ME&t=642s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy3piCUPIkc

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Fallom posted:

Sorry to say it’s down the shaft

also known as mayan style:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7TwBUxxIC0

bad news about your mother's negative ion dildo

turns out its full of powdered thorium kept in place by a poorly fitted plug

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

HOLY poo poo! I seriously feel like 16y/os should not be allowed to drive...letting one loose in a flight deck is just asking for your doom.

This is scary af. Makes me want to get a geiger counter and run it over everything I own.

looking into shady chinese products is an awful rabbit hole of mislabeled poisons. Like this one, where some makeup reviewer checks out some weird chinese nail polish:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28W5DNBVfa0

A chemist in the comments suggests that it is probably dichloromethane (DCM). According to wikipedia, DCM is volatile and can be absorbed through the skin, is acutely toxic and carcinogenic, and it can cross the placental barrier and potentially impact fetuses.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

Its self evidently a really femme transwoman hitting on somebody.

Oh no!!!! Did you think you stumbled upon a bigotry? Thank god you're here to point it out. Aren't you supposed to be on a cruise getting yourself infected right now?

if the mods don't instantly down like a ton of bricks on anyone taking awkward passes at strangers in random threads idk what they're even for. that was a weird rear end post whatever the intent and definitely not something i'd want to see repeated

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Modest Mao posted:

If you go visit about 20% of the world population you're going to be eating off plates like that come dinner time, water and sanitation are still a huge issue for humanity. 2 billion people don't have a toilet or latrine, including a million or so in the USA. 500,000 people poo poo themselves to death each year.

If there's no running water you either let food rot on the plate or wash it off with the water you have, I guess. These numbers are from the W.H.O.

i watched a documentary about water issues in Jakarta and there was one part where people were washing their clothes and dishes in water as an unmistakable whole turd floated by along with a bunch of garbage. The state of water sanitation in much of the world is unimaginably bad for those of us lucky to come from first world countries.

Aramoro posted:

I'm always reminded to the peculiarly American illness of stomach Flu or 24 hour flu, which is just food poisoning. It's apparently the reason Americans think their food hygiene is good, they didn't catastrophically poo poo themselves because they don't know how to handle a lettuce, it was 24 hour flu!

i've heard people say this before and i tried to look up a scientific comparison of the rates of food borne illness in the USA vs EU. The basic summary is that the US population does seem to slightly higher rates of food poisoning than the EU, but the difference is so small it impossible to notice on the ground. And differences in the way statistics are collected in both regions means its hard to even say confidently that the difference is real, and it certainly not possible to recognize the difference based on personal experience and without some serious data analysis. As an American, I have never heard of the term "stomach Flu" used to mean food poisoning, and have only heard it used as a synonym for the regular flu. I have suffered severe food poisoning before, but not in the US so I fell capable of recognizing it, and I don't know of anyone who has contracted it in the USA.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

influenza very rarely produces gastrointestinal symptoms. when americans say they have a "stomach flu" or a "24-hour flu" they universally mean they woke up in the middle of the night with sudden vomiting or diarrhea. that is essentially always acute gastroenteritis, usually caused by contaminated food.

food poisoning doesn't have to last long; sometimes once you've shot it all out one end or another you're back to normal. what you're calling "severe food poisoning," the kind of thing that knocks you out for a week unable to keep anything down, is more likely to be a gastrointestinal infection like norovirus, salmonella, e. coli, etc.

no, i meant the spent 12 hours vomiting kind of food poisoning, although i've also had the diarrhea for a week kind of infection too (not in USA). Vomiting and other gastrointestinal problems can absolutely be a thing with the flu, at least or especially for children. see some research on the issue. This fits with my experience with the flu, where as a child i remember vomiting being the most memorable symptom, but not one I have since experienced as an adult despite still occasionally getting the flu. The tendency for children to come down with these symptoms is always why I assumed people sometimes specified something as a 'stomach flu,' and also to distinguish their disease from severe colds or flus with mild symptoms.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Jabor posted:

Yell at the kids to wait until the bus leaves before trying to cross.

tbf that doesn't look like a school bus, the driver probably hasn't been trained or have the experience to know just how stupid kids can be

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Nth Doctor posted:

FTFY, don't leech images.

i probably leach 9/10 images i post on this site including everything i've posted itt and I don't think anyone has said anything about it or even noticed in the last five years, if ever. the only time i don't is if the image is mine or if it won't display because its on an unsecure site or something

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

lmao this transformation is so pointless I love it.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

MisterOblivious posted:

The video he deleted was linked in the prior reply. It takes him less than 2 minutes to start bitching about a women abusing social services.

Keep in mind that people provide the absolute best one-sided version of the story when they tell it, and he comes off as a MRA shithead in the best possible telling of the story.

He met his Indian wife over the internet and tried to bring her into the country on a tourist visa. When that failed he tried to bring his internet wife and her mother into the country on tourist visas.

He was declined because he failed to provide his source of income, YouTube, which he stopped posting on. He literally used the income stream he stopped using as the way he'd support Indian bride. Oficials didn't buy his "I make 50 grand a year" despite not posting videos.

this guy sounds annoying but on the other hand, defrauding the byzantine and racist immigration system of the typical western government is good

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

Goddamn this does not sound like a fun recreational drug

weirdly i think you can just buy it semi-legally on the internet. They have similar rhododendrons in Turkey and so the local bees also produce the magic honey. Just don't take more than one spoonful or you might black out and start seizing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3Bmvo3dY4I

what really gets me curious is how everyone who tastes it describes it as being very spicy. . . something about spicy honey seems really inviting to me.

to make this OSHA, getting blasted out of your mind on psychedelic honey is not a good idea if you are in the army on campaign:

quote:

The intoxicating effects of mad honey have been known for thousands of years. Not surprisingly, there have been many famous episodes of human inebriation caused by its consumption. Xenophon, Aristotle, Strabo, Pliny the Elder[16][21] and Columella all document the results of eating this "maddening" honey, believed to be from the pollen and nectar of Rhododendron luteum and Rhododendron ponticum.[22] According to Xenophon's Anabasis, an invading Greek army was accidentally poisoned by harvesting and eating the local Asia Minor honey, but they all made a quick recovery with no fatalities.[23] Having heard of this incident, and realizing that foreign invaders would be ignorant of the dangers of the local honey, King Mithridates later used the honey as a deliberate poison when Pompey's army attacked the Heptakometes in Asia Minor in 69 BC.[24] The Roman soldiers became delirious and nauseated after being tricked into eating the toxic honey, at which point Mithridates's army attacked.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

you can basically see that poo poo at any neighborhood monster truck rally. Last time I went they brought out like a chain sphere thing and a guy rode around it on a motorcycle.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Burt Sexual posted:

How much you pay for that?

i dont know. i was a kid and parents paid.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

chitoryu12 posted:

According to the news he was being pursued because he was blazing at full speed through red lights, something famously known to result in high-speed crashes. He then began randomly weaving into traffic, at which point they gave the order to stop him.

this tiresome insistence on poo poo like "context" and "circumstance" is interfering with my repetition of slogans and reheated hot takes

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Azathoth posted:

Leaded gas alone is a poor fit with the timeline, but it's easy to forget just how many other chemicals were sloshing around in our drinking water and floating in the air during that whole time. Like, things aren't great now, but holy poo poo were they bad back then and I don't think we even really understand just how bad it was.

yeah, and even for those who grew up after leaded gasoline was fazed out, we still have likely had much more exposure than those who were born after 2000 or even later. One of the craziest facts to come out of the Flint water crisis, was that as scary and dangerous as the spike in lead exposure was, was that it still wasn't as bad as the "normal" exposure level just a few years earlier.

And this isn't a problem particular to the USA. Lead exposure rates have basically moved in the same, improved direction the world over.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Munin posted:

Exposure to lead paint is still a blight across a lot of the poorer areas of the US and has stunted the development of thousands of children. The housing stock is so old that peeling lead paint is all over the place and toddlers etc do nibble on them and put them in their mouth since they taste slightly sweet. Due to the lead. Which is poisoning them.

There is no proper federal program to tackle the crisis and lol at the idea of slum landlords doing it. Generally it only happens when an area gets gentrified and the existing renters and homeowners get priced out and turfed out.

yeah i think lead paint is the greatest source of exposure. We're only very slowly escaping from the long term effects of having lead everywhere.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Jabor posted:

He wrote a story that involved one.

It was either an incredibly vicious racist analogue, or it wasn't, and figuring out which it is has caused much debate amongst scholars of literature.

wait, this story sounds familiar. . . was an argument about Poe's orangutan between professors of literature described in a book? Where did you read this?

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

hmm. . . that looks like what i was thinking of, but its a lot lamer than i remember. I feel like I read a version of that story but cut down to like 3 paragraphs. Could have just been a different time the same person recounted it.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

im far from an expert in this subject but since i was curious I went to government sources and they all seem to confirm that we face no additional risk when driving an electric vehicle.

https://www.energy.gov/eere/electricvehicles/electric-car-safety-maintenance-and-battery-life

quote:

Plug-in electric vehicles (also known as electric cars or EVs) are as safe and easy to maintain as conventional vehicles. While driving conditions and habits will impact vehicle operation and vehicle range, some best practices can help you maximize your all-electric range.

Cars are basically another piece of industrial equipment and even if they aren't quite as heavy as a forklift dumb operators are going to find new ways to kill themselves regardless of how they are powered.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Rascar Capac posted:

Maybe it's wishful thinking on my part, but it looks like he's still moving around with the camera at the end of the video.

unfortunately i don't think that video includes the actual big blast. I think those are smaller preliminary bursts from the explosion. Still the person looks like they are running for cover, maybe if they got into a basement they could have survived :smith:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

She made three mistakes: first going off trail. Second, not wearing proper shoes for going off trail when she did. And third, she didn't look where she stepped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

PainterofCrap posted:

The latter: Pre-made extract. Can find it online, or around Lancaster Country (PA) here & there.

Hires was the best. I really miss it.

I can simulate birch beer by adding a touch of wintergreen, & a bit of vanilla extract.

I haven't done it in several years, because the last two batches over-pressurized and I'm not sure what I was doing wrong with the yeast. Then I discovered that Victory makes a natural-fermented root beer that is nearly as good as making my own...but I have to go to their brewery in Phillipsburg Downingtown,PA to get it.

You’re like your caution is justified here. I remember my grandma had a wicked scar on her leg from when she was a kid brown root beer and one of her bottles exploded. We could still see it decades later