Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Wall Balls posted:

reposting in the new thread for posterity

should have been wearing a hard hat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

so that's how it happens

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Methylethylaldehyde posted:

Nah, that's the latest crossfit craze, ladder runs. You get a big extension ladder, rest it up against something in the ceiling, then balance the bottom of the ladder on a medicine ball or a stack of weight plates. Climb up it as fast as you can, touch the bar in the ceiling, then hop down every other rung while clapping your hands. Do this 10 times, then gently caress off home, leaving everything set up exactly as it is, because you're a massive dickhead.

I can't tell if you are just making this up or not.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Xposting from the crappy construction thread:

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

https://i.imgur.com/F0nq3vn.mp4

Some people should not be allowed to have chainsaws.

I legit thought that the rope was tied around his neck.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:stare:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Humphreys posted:

I feed a few Maggies so I don't get swooped and they are pretty chill stuffing around having fun in the yard and sprinkler. But one of the motherfuckers likes to sit outside my bedroom and imitate my alarm clock. 1 hour before I need to get up.

This has to be so annoying but it's so cute. :3:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

He's lucky the fumes didn't get him.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Did the thread title change? I could have sworn it was "using gasoline to defrost the door".

Now that I think about it, though, this makes more sense, so :shrug:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Icon Of Sin posted:

That’s exactly what it says for me :confused:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

drunkill posted:

https://i.imgur.com/SfGx5BK.mp4

Seems like a safe landing area, powerpoles and wires, trucks... people in cars.

they should have raised the helicopter

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

what if the dirt was on a treadmill

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

i cant believe action park is still operating

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:(

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

At least the rescue will be there in record time.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

lol at bus drivers giving a poo poo for their passengers after they left the bus. And also while they're inside the bus.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

:psyduck: Why couldn't this be a fixed thing? I guess other than to add a cool mil or so to the manufacture price I guess.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Makes sense, thanks.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

I'd probably just get a lathe.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Kith posted:

Hot-swapping the chocolate milk drills is not something I expected to see today.

ask your mom how she does it

Sorry I couldn't resist :(

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

All recent indicators point to yes.

Oh poo poo.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Here we can witness two packs of wild bulldozers fighting for scraps.

Also, like tortoises, the bulldozer has difficulty getting upright if one tumbles. We can see the amazing social intelligence of these beasts when bulls of the same pack help each other out whenever that happens.

Truly marvelous.

e;f; beaten

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

luxury handset posted:

there's a LOT of goofy flying car/personal flight poo poo in the startup aerospace world, which is why it's so funny to me that in a desperate bid to maintain their absurdly high valuation Uber of all companies is also playing in this space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUEj6EnBzks

well, an electric helicopter must need a pretty big battery to stay aloft. a white paper published and then pulled down had the detail of the estimated maximum safe flight time: fifteen minutes

glad to see dahir inshaat finally scoring those big contracts.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

Or a Plutonium fire detector? Real thing.

Didn't some kid amass enough of those to create a backyard nuclear reactor?

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

In 2017 I traveled to Canada through an agency, and on their briefing they mentioned that this adapter would be good to have. So I ordered one - five stars on the web store, btw - but they arrived on the day of the flight, so I didn't really have a chance to even look at the thing until I actually got to the house I was staying. When I finally got to the house, I inserted this into a socket and the thing lit up in sparks (inside the casing, thankfully). I immediately took it out from the outlet and threw it back in my luggage, and later or I left a one-star review complaining about it being a fire hazard.

Later still I got an email saying that my review wasn't approved for displaying.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

new twister sequel looking good

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

chitoryu12 posted:

If you want an OSHA-laden show to watch, try Canada's Worst Handyman. It's a show where they take people who are extremely bad at DIY and home repairs (either because they're scared to learn how to be self-sufficient or they think they're amazing but are actually incompetent and dangerous) and have them try to complete basic home renovation and repair challenges as you marvel at how bad they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn6B5csEH3I

Almost 10 pages ago, but the producers and presenters are either extremely patient or extremely dumb to let any of those people to operate power tools around them.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

BMan posted:

The show would be less entertaining if the contestants actually improved their skills in any way, which is probably why they didn't do that

Maybe, but it was kinda nice to see the Canada's Worst Drivers contestants become better drivers after each episode. I was kinda hoping for that format in this series, but I can live with the OSHA.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

I have a Manx (mix) cat and she does have an inherently malfeasant character.

That's just cats, though.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/BRBLFfO.mp4

Tugboat operator hauls rear end to prevent crash.

That sick drift tho

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Powerful post-apocalypse vibes here.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

LloydDobler posted:

Yeah it's terrifying because you imagine it being a tube that gets a lot smaller as it goes, and water pressure builds up on top of you after you discover it.... aaaaaaaagh.

I'm horribly claustrophobic. Like my worst nightmare is getting stuck in a cave or hole like that guy posted a while back.

This one:

I'm getting claustrophobic just by looking at the cross section diagram.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

In the US, pig ignores you

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Even the branch that gets caught in the rope and flung off lands roughly on the pile.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

what the gently caress

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

That's the kind of explosion that condemns a whole lot of the outlying buildings as well.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Further down the thread Jess calls the samples "blebs" and I love it.

https://twitter.com/jessphoenix2018/status/1291080609335402497

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Arrhythmia posted:

They could put it up their butt.

Arrhythmia posted:

They could put it up someone else's butt.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Ok so I looked up this incident because I was curious about what I thought I saw on the runway, and turns out my suspicions were correct. This is the north end of 52F, Northwest Regional Airport in Roanoke, Texas:

In the satellite photo we can see the road perpendicular to the runway and the white fence, confirming that the airplane was landing on runway 17 (flying south). The relevant markings here are the yellow bar and white arrows. The yellow centerline denotes that the beginning of the paved surface is a taxiway, and may not be used for any takeoff or landing operations. That is, you need to taxi up to the solid yellow demarcation bar before starting your takeoff roll. The yellow bar followed by the white arrows is what's called a "displaced threshold" -- this is a segment of the runway that cannot be landed on. You can start your takeoff roll in the displaced threshold, or you can use it in the opposite direction for your landing rollout, but you need to touch down after the heavy white line that represents the beginning of the runway landing area. Displaced thresholds are common when there are obstacles at the approach end of the runway that would make it unsafe to land right at the start of the pavement, such as trees, berms, fences, or roads. By moving the touchdown point down the runway, you raise the approach enough to keep clear of things on the ground.

In order to clip the car, the plane's wheels had to be about 6 feet off the ground as he came over the road. That's already in ground effect, already in the landing flare, way too soon to touch down beyond the threshold. You can see from his shadow that he barely clears the fence, too. He probably would have landed on the taxiway segment. Some basic math shows that if he'd been on a standard 3-degree glide slope aimed directly for the numbers, he would have been 35 feet in the air when crossing the road, not 6.

It was a student pilot, but he still should have known better. Students get trained and tested on runway markings before they're allowed to fly solo. This one is total pilot error, unfortunately.

You will notice on the satellite view that both ends of your runway also have the displaced threshold markings.

Well, the pilots are supposed to be able to fly their plane to avoid clipping things on the ground. On a checkride you have to demonstrate the techniques required to land on a shortened runway and steepen your approach to avoid obstacles. I think the sign is more to prevent drivers from being startled when a plane suddenly roars over their car. But coming to a stop so that you don't pass directly underneath the airplane, just in case something goes wrong, is probably a good idea.

so youre saying that they should have raised the plane?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Rebel Blob posted:

These types of situations should always be handled by questionable CGI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-kMrzl_io4

dahir inshaat finally actually making products i see