Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

MRC48B posted:

It's like a clip from a ZAZ film.

It's also a scene in the lovely new Midway movie. There a guy jumps on it and just barely stops it in time before it hits the tower structure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Renegret posted:

I went to post the Wikipedia article but they have a big ole picture of a dick, that I unknowingly opened, on my work computer, in an open office, so it was nice knowing you thread.

Here's a, somehow, more work safe urbandictionary link before I get fired.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Sounding

What, you don't work at a dick factory???

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Powered Descent posted:

Remember last year when Oregon changed its law to finally allow self-serve gas, and people freaked out that suddenly they were being forced to do some highly technical and dangerous industrial job?

Literally

https://i.imgur.com/Nh5ZoqD.mp4

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

McGavin posted:

There should also be a "to go" lane where you can buy your gasoline pre-bagged.

There is (though it's bottled):

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Oooh the new season is out!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wirth1000 posted:

There's quite a lot of crosswind landing vids on youtube especially for some of the bigger planes like the A380

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roS6oFjCDhc

Or the An-225 which even at the best of times isn't exactly an easy plane to fly

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r1663DqucA

There's also some amazing cockpit full flight footage like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVopoE3R6Ys

Shirtless engineer in the middle is pretty OSHA, right?
Lol at like 4 minutes they address the shirtless situation, Yuri blyat they're making a movie and you're here with your hairy chest, gonna embarrass the company! Also I liked at about 20 minutes the camo shirt guy is pointing at some gauges like "what's up with these?" to another guy and he's like "why are you asking me??" and then another shirtless or maybe tank-top guy pops his head in.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Wages of Fear reboot looking... pretty short.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

No why.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Sometimes you ride the whale, and sometimes the whale rides you

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
It seems to be up to "southeast asia" code :shrug:

Cojawfee posted:

Start up a fire starting department.

That's already the fire department: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefighter_arson

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

WorldsStongestNerd posted:

An ad hoc verbal agreement right there? How would they have enforced that? A week later you ask for payment and the homeowner says he remembers the conversation differently.

If only there was some kind of device that people could carry that could be used to document the agreement exactly as it happened...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

tangy yet delightful posted:

Filling out customs forms to the most accurate detail is a thing for people who want to waste time in an airport. I have fond* memories of my dad having me total up the value of the used books I purchased on a trip so he could write to the penny how much stuff we were bringing back. You'll be shocked to hear that my dad also drives to the speed limit exactly.

*the opposite of fond
Well then once you don't fill it out completely accurately and you'll get your day ruined by a particularly anal agent.

I was leaving a country once that had a cap on the amount of cash you can carry out - not in the US, this was like $500. I had quite a bit more, not thousands but clearly over the limit. I wrote down $500 and usually they don't give a poo poo unless you write something crazy but this time he went at me. I don't think I looked nervous but maybe I did. "How much cash are you carrying? Is that exactly it? Are you sure? Should we check?". Thankfully I managed to keep the poker face and said something like "not at all, this is exactly how much I have so there's no reason to count it" and he let it go. A somewhat pants-making GBS threads moment.

Going into the US, I think the form asks you to list any food you have. I declared the 3 packs of waffles I was bringing for my relatives because it's food, but the guy looked at me like I was the rear end in a top hat.

tl;dr: these are the only officials I wouldn't gently caress with. I can argue technicalities with the local cops until they get bored but these guys can deny entry/boarding for no reason and completely screw up your plans

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 5, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There isn't a video (although an oncoming car saw it happen) but in some final destination poo poo, a tree just randomly fell on a passing car near here. There were rather strong winds today but nothing crazy so it's just extremely bad luck.

Install roll cages, kids.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Or when he went diving and happened to find some ancient pottery

I'm wondering what kind of safety OSHA precautions they have to take whenever he does something like this. Did he do SCUBA certification before that?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

I've been to the Militärhistorische museum but I don't remember seeing that sub there. It is an excellent museum with lots of military OSHA.

It's there all right

They also had military animals, among which was a goose (unsurprisingly) and a cat

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
20-wheel drift

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Memento posted:

I mean you have to, right?

Well yeah isn't this why they make them so tall?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Nenonen posted:

They have it like that in Saint Petersburg, and I'm pretty sure that the system was set during the Soviet era. But then the commies were also the first to space...

I can see some reasons to why you wouldn't want that system, though. For one it requires more precision at stoppage, which slows the system a little bit and requires a bit more engineering to get right. Then it adds to the likelihood of a door or sensor jamming or misworking. And you couldn't have variable length trains without some programming, which adds another level that can fail.

All in all it should be easy to solve for us humans, but unfortunately we have delegated these things to engineers... just look at the new Berlin Brandenburg airport.
Is that all original? All other commie metros like in Moscow, Kiev or even Prague don't have any barriers and people rarely manage to kill themselves (accidentally). Which are of course fairly common in more modern systems, I think Taipei, HK and Shanghai all have them. But's not practical when most of your rolling stock is 50 years old at best.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Uthor posted:

What do you call the third smallest string on a guitar?
A minor

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

The Lone Badger posted:

That all looks correct. He maintained multiple points of attachment to the pylon until after he'd hooked himself to the helicopter.

What happens if the chopper gets blown away by a sudden gust of wind or the pilot jerks the stick (heh) accidentally while the guy is attached to both it and the pylon?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
They should really just have a dog onboard that will bite the pilots if they try to touch anything on the scren

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Lol I love the two women that just stay seated in the front row for this trainshipwreck

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mds2 posted:

Sound advice.

Yes, it is.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Humphreys posted:

That's amazing.

I'm going to guess he is German before clicking on it
Autistic, more likely.

Hopefully this is for a paying customer because geez...

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Phanatic posted:

Okay, what is this test he's talking about?

I used to inspect concrete paving operations for PennDOT, big honking interstate interchange pours, trucks pulling up for days. We'd take samples for entrained air, for slump, and to pour test cylinders that'd then be cured in varying conditions which we'd then crush to make sure the specified compressive strength was met.

All of that stuff was done with calibrated equipment and gages. The cylinder molds were specified dimensions. We didn't just dump a random amount of concrete in whatever random container we had laying around. Guy says that's the " simple cup adhesion shear test," but that's not a thing that is mentioned in my concrete manual, and Googling that phrase doesn't come up with anything that seems even close; in fact the only exact hit is that tweet itself. He later posts a screengrab of some text detailing the process, and I buy it, but what the hell is it?
I doubt there's an a formal test that requires paper coffee cups, maybe it was just someone screwing around with different mixes? I dunno, I don't work with construction, but there's no way anyone would bother making these instead of, like, throwing a rock.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Seems fine, he's using an axle stand. :confused:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Uthor posted:

But Canadians are nice! :ohdear:
An American contestant would've just shot him.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Doesn't seem too bad. If it's like this one, it requires you to use both hands to push two buttons so you can't have your hands in there when it cuts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uw_BCnicEao

You could still try to stick your head in it

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Large gravel the size of small gravel

Mr. Nice! posted:

Yeah, this ship is hosed:

Yep it's toast. Good job loving it up more than Admiral Kuznetsov

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Went to a trackday with a friend I haven't seen in years. Someone had weird noises coming from the diff so of course...

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PhazonLink posted:

so how do collars charge? usb-A, micro, C, some new new standard , some ancient thing that only animal scientist use ?

You just install the new battery rectally

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Nope!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

I can see the huge truck's about to hit the sign above me but I'm just gonna keep driving straight ahead!

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Memento posted:

https://i.imgur.com/sC07MI1.mp4

Safety glasses? Steelcaps? Never heard of them.

I don't think glasses woudl've done anything against a rock that size anyway.

Cojawfee posted:

There are perfectly good axles right there that they could have used. I don't know how they have a jack that goes high enough to do that.
Maybe they wanted to lift the weight off the axles. Stilla a pretty :gonk: way to do it of course.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
There was a similar video years ago but there I think they at least had the area closed off and there might've been a helmet. This looks like a very sketchy travelling circus thing where they'll set it up at your place for a party or something.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jul 31, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Could be. I found the video I was talking about, it's quite a bit slower (and no helmet though the area at least seems to be marked off) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CoA-m5iHG9s

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
That's why you don't gently caress with Polish TV
They seem to be doing it in a covered/indoor pool. So if the dry ice failed to put out the fire (or kill them directly), the combustion would've used up all the oxygen anywa.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think we've seen it from the water side yet

https://twitter.com/FadyRoumieh/status/1290670721488900096

:piss:

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 4, 2020

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Finally a suitable tool for my circumcision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know if you can really ignore the pig

https://twitter.com/gonch145/status/1291439982230593536?s=20