Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
A truck driver decided to park in a no parking zone. Thankfully the restaurant had gone out of business 2 weeks before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

drgitlin posted:

The last thing I remember about him was this thread where he said he was suffering from testicular and skin cancers: https://arstechnica.com/civis/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1118045&start=40

A bit of digging, he's still alive and enjoys his tesla coils, books on nuclear engineering and confederate flags.

e: and cars.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Memento posted:

I think from my attempts to translate this, it's a pothole that they put a camera next to so they could highlight how bad poo poo was getting.

https://giant.gfycat.com/DisgustingSomeBlackrussianterrier.mp4

Forget putting a webcam, I'd open a tire/suspension shop

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

kalleth posted:

Let's talk SCUBA rebreathers! The Everest thread went on a bit of a SCUBA derail, and I figured it'd fit here, too.

SCUBA diving is mostly safe, *so long as you do open water diving on basic, well tested kit, with a buddy & backups*. But there is a particular discipline of risk-takers called "technical divers" who will do all sorts; cave diving (that's a nope from me), decompression diving (where if you go up to the surface too soon your joints swell up with nitrogen and you end up dead or with joint pain for the rest of your life) or rebreather diving (where, instead of carrying tanks of breathing gas, you carry a 'scrubber' that removes CO2 and a much smaller tank of O2 that can be injected to make up the gas volume again).

Rebreathers in particular will kill you without warning, if the tiniest little thing goes wrong. Too much O2 in your mix? Oxygen toxicity, you seize and die. CO2 scrubbing fail? "the user will experience extreme respiratory distress, followed by loss of consciousness and death".

And of course, these are all controlled by computers.

bar88537 posted this, and it is a treasure of OSHA: https://www.deeplife.co.uk/files/How_Rebreathers_Kill_People.pdf

Thanks for the doc, this stood out to me

Allrighty.. time to start working on my rebreather.. what does #include mean?

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oR5MhSqcaI

Yep, thats a 1-2kW fiber laser. RIP that guys eyes.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

got it to work ur apple apostrophe broke the forums thanks this is to cartoon man i dunno why i quoted myself

radium :argh:

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Caribbean version is ???

fake edit: looked it up for my country. The legislation is 50-70 years old, predates independence, and prohibits the employment of women in factories. :pseudo:

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
I say build it "to scale"

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

MisterOblivious posted:

Dude in my state builds cars like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxbZVCI-X1k

As long as you can prove that the parts and metal aren't stolen, Mn will let you title that as-is. They're supposed to inspect it to make sure you have all of the required safety equipment but they don't. If you check out the forums where people built kit cars they all have threads of people helping each other through the bureaucracy of getting the car titled but if there's a Minnesota thread it's basically just this video in the replies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q3prVSYI950

Hell yeah, Runge's superlegerra stuff is right up my alley.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

Aperture Priority posted:

No idea. Yea there was a nasty hole in the tread itself but no sign of what caused it. I did check the body of the car for bullet holes though haha. I assume she ran over a short chunk of rebar of something similar and it wedged itself just right to go through the wheel.

Whatever was inside .... it's on the loose now!

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

lol at the hose. On no, what are you gonna do? Threaten me with a good time? Now get my back.

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

ReelBigLizard posted:

Yes. I also want to know what happens if you hit a waxoil soaked series landrover chassis with it.

I'll let you know in a couple of weeks. These are 1064nm fibre lasers, The ones specifically for rust cleaning are between 500W and 2kW. Mine is 1kW. I have some OD7+ glasses to protect myself, which for CE marked were <$200. I also have some thrown in by the laser seller, but not too trusting of their quality.

e: Hi RBL!

fins fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Nov 30, 2023

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
laser chat: a ~1kw fibre laser in a rust cleaning setup similar to this will heat the surface to 500-600 C. the photothermal effect will ablate any oxide layer, oil films, garbage juice etc present. source: me, the laser haver. (and "Effect of laser surface cleaning of corroded 304L stainless steel on microstructure and mechanical properties", HJ Yoo et al, 2022)

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder

LifeSunDeath posted:

confirm or deny: safety squints totally safe with derusting lasers?

quote:

A pop or click noise emanating from the eyeball may be the only indication that retinal damage has occurred, i.e. the retina was heated to over 100 °C (212 °F) resulting in localized explosive boiling accompanied by the immediate creation of a permanent blind spot.

Seems fine to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fins
May 31, 2011

Floss Finder
Boss makes a dollar, I make 64. Steal everything not nailed to the floor.