Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

PetraCore posted:

I believe some people did believe him, and at least one doctor committed suicide at the realization that poor sanitation on his part contributed to patient deaths. The thing that was tricky is that Ignaz Semmelweis was talking about sanitizing instruments, not just cleaning them, and this was before germ theory, so many doctors got really offended at the idea they could be somehow doing something unclean when they'd clearly rinsed off all the dead guy chunks. And the only reason Semmelweis figured it out in the first place was because his city had two places where babies could be delivered, his hospital and a midwife clinic, and it was blatantly obvious that people going to the hospital died a lot more, to the point people would beg to just deliver in neither place if only the hospital was available. Well, as a doctor that's obviously pretty disturbing, but there was no at-the-time obvious reason for that to happen, so Semmelweis just started trying everything the midwife clinic did differently in small trials to see where the difference would kick in. Like, they were literally trying 'maybe if we position the women in the same way they position them at the midwife clinic' and 'maybe people are just dying of fright from hearing about all the deaths so we make it less obvious when people are dying' first.

Well, of course the actual difference is that the midwife clinic didn't perform autopsies, so while I doubt everything there was sanitized to modern standards they also weren't just caught in a vicious cycle of their equipment giving women infections and then the women died of infections so they performed autopsies on the infected women and then didn't wash their hands before delivering another baby, thus giving the woman delivering the baby an infection. Semmelweis himself had no real explanation for what was happening beyond the dead containing an invisible miasma that transferred if you didn't sanitize properly, since he was working with the miasma theory of infection instead of germ theory. He just knew it worked, because people died a lot less when his procedures were followed. Scientific method at it's finest.

EDIT: All of this is semi-remembered from the Sawbones episode on him so I might be wrong on the details.

Yeah, the 'Semmelweis the tormented genius' thing is basically a myth, in the same way that columbus discovering the earth was round is a myth - in both cases these are people who believed something that was obviously false, who in have been mythologized and assigned modern beliefs instead of the ones the actually held, then treated as matyrs.

For instance, people say he was talking about the disease being contagious, but Semmelweis' actual belief was specifically 'childbed fever is ONLY caused by pieces of corpses ('cadaverous particles') getting into women - so doctors who do dissections of cadavers spread it'. And he was pretty firm on the 'not contagious' thing, too.

semmelweis posted:

Childbed fever is not a contagious disease. A contagious disease is one that produces the contagion by which the disease is spread. This contagion brings about only the same disease in other individuals. . . .Smallpox causes only smallpox and no other disease. . . . Childbed fever is different”

To which the medical establishment sensibly responded 'so why do we also see this disease in hospitals that don't do dissections, then?' To which his response was 'uuuuuuuuuuuuh?' And then they said 'well, this disease is known to come in outbreaks where a bunch of people get it and then nobody gets it, so we really need a bigger sample to prove anything, can we have more data'?

In response, Semmelweis immediately and promptly... didn't publish any additional data for FOURTEEN YEARS. And during that time, there was another outbreak of childbed fever... in his handwashing ward.

Having had his 'no corpse hands = no fever' theory disproven, Semmelweis revised his theory from 'cadaverous particles' being 'pieces of corpses', to 'things that can be produced inside living people as well', and blamed a lady on the same floor who had uterine cancer (given his lack of tact, probably with some comment like 'your poison womb is making the ICU too drat crowded').

Note that he wasn't even the first person to publish a paper saying 'hey maybe bad stuff on people's hands causes childbed fever', James Young Simpson published that theory ten years earlier - but he didn't say 'oh and that bad stuff is all corpse pieces and is the only way you get it' - making Semmelweis both late and wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BTW James Young Simpson is pretty hilarious OHSA.txt on his own. Here's his discovery of chloroform, which he did by sitting around in his dining room huffing random chemicals with his friends.

British Veterinary Journal and Annals of Comparative Pathology: Volume 50" posted:

In January 1847 Simpson gained for the Edinburgh Medical School the proud distinction of being the scene of the first use of anæsthetics in obstetric practice. His acute mind, however, soon perceived the shortcomings of ether, and he could not rest satisfied until he had discovered something better to take its place. To this end he and his two assistants, Dr. George Keith and Dr. Matthews Duncan, night after night, spent hours in the dining-room of No. 52 Queen Street inhaling substance after substance. All the scientific curiosities were unearthed from the laboratories of chemists and tested; the enthusiastic invigorators sitting round the dining table and inhaling the drugs from tumblers and saucers, much we can imagine, to the alarm of the rest of the household.

Mr. Waldie, a native of Linlithgowshire, practicing as a chemist in Liverpool, was the one who suggested that “perchloride of formyle," as it was then called, should be tried. This “curious liquid” had been discovered in 1831 by Soubeiran and Liebig, and its chemical composition had been determined in 1835 by the famous French chemist Dumas. The liquid was heavy and not volatile-looking, and therefore did not attract Simpson, who, instead of trying it, put it away, and apparently half forgot its existence. One night, however, it was brought to light again and tried; the results of the experiment are graphically told by Simpson's next-door neighbour, Professor Miller.

“Late one evening — it was the 4th of November 1847 — on returning home after a weary day's labour, Dr. Simpson with his two friends and assistants, Drs. Keith and Duncan, sat down to their somewhat hazardous work in Dr. Simpson's dining-room. Having inhaled several substances, but without much effect, it occurred to Dr. Simpson to try a ponderous material which he had formerly set aside on a lumber table, and which, on account of its great weight, he had hitherto regarded as of no likelihood whatever. That happened to be a small bottle of chloroform. It was searched for, and recovered from beneath a heap of waste paper. And with each tumbler newly charged, the inhalers renewed their vocation. Immediately an unwonted hilarity seized the party, — they became bright-eyed, very happy, and very loquacious — expatiating on the delicious aroma of the new fluid. The conversation was of unusual intelligence, and quite charmed the listeners — some ladies of the family, and a naval officer, brother-in-law to Dr. Simpson. But suddenly there was a talk of sounds being heard like those of a cotton mill, louder and louder; a moment more and then all was quiet, and then crash!

On awakening, Dr. Simpson's first impression was mental. “This is far stronger and better than ether, " said he to himself. His second was to note that he was prostrate on the floor, and that among the friends about him there was both confusion and alarm. Hearing a noise, he turned round and saw Dr. Duncan beneath a chair, his jaw dropped, his eyes staring, his head bent half under him, quite unconscious, and snoring in a most determined and alarming manner. More noise still, and much motion. And then his eyes overtook Dr. Keith's feet and legs making valorous attempts to over turn the supper table, or more probably to annihilate everything that was on it. By and bye, Dr. Simpson having regained his seat, Dr. Duncan having finished his uncomfortable and unrefreshing slumber, and Dr. Keith having come to an arrangement with the table and its contents, the sederunt was resumed. Each expressed himself delighted with this new agent, and its inhalation was repeated many times that night — one of the ladies gallantly taking her place and turn at the table — until the supply of chloroform was fairly exhausted.”

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

According to RT, this video was from an alcohol warehouse in Russia, and the guy survived (but was hospitalized)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMc7ztjMd-U

Here's a similar story from england where the guy was stuck under a pile of cheese for 9 hours but emerged uninjured

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3576799/At-one-person-missing-warehouse-collapsed-Shropshire.html

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

bttf remake looking low budget

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAnIthzgRac

A ferrofluid visualizer

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nenonen posted:

Who ever designed the levels in Human Evolution better not have found work afterwards. The first level, when you hardly have any equipment, has some of the worst bosses. Then you move on and everything becomes super easy (seriously, you just sit back and wait for the Nile to flood), unless you accidentally took one of the more challenging paths like going early to Australia or Greenland.

it's because there's built in enemy scaling, but it only starts after the first encounter, so tutorial area enemies can level up the whole game and bonus area enemies are still at level 1

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Just shove your hand down its throat, then rip its tongue out, easy peasy

https://www.nbcnews.com/id/wbna8317484

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

just get some paper, idiots

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

can't hold his liquor

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

sigher posted:

If there's anything I learned about thirsty cougars is I never try and take my salami out of their mouth, I just let them have at it.

your little a salami

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nenonen posted:

It took me a while to register that the gyroauto's not just any car, it's a Reliant Robin. Is there some kind of "make Robin even more unsafe" contest?

I would guess top gear

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qst6pKpj18

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

quote:

That kind of universal risk is no different from the day-to-day dangers that all face from crime, air pollution,

I guess OSHA can't regulate air quality inside workspaces anymore

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nenonen posted:

But then you will have to throw the battery back in anyway.

Depends on if its a lake or the ocean. Remember the rhyme.

If the water be fresh, fish'll be distressed
If the water be salt, fish'll need the volt!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Rebel Blob posted:

The Library of Congress has the Prokudin-Gorskii Collection of photographs from Tsarist Russia.

I'm just reminded because of it features the mold of future goons:

Anyway, it makes Russia look like the happy, convivial land we all know and love:

looking at the photos, I'm guessing that the different dyes ended up taking photos with a fraction of a second between them. I bet with a clever algorithm you could turn them into 3-frame gifs

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I like how proud they are in the behind the scenes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9hMLC8v0BA

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 25, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

BitBasher posted:

Even better than that, in theaters this was one of the first if not the first film released in 48fps. The effect of that was that there was waaaay more visual data and you could far more easily make out resin props like Gandalf's staff having a straight seam in it from manufacturing and so on. In theatres it looked way, way worse that it does on youtube. It was amazing how bad it looked. I saw it in theatres and it was almost on the level of looking for hidden cameras and thinking it was a prank showing.

48 fps and 3d

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ILL Machina posted:

https://i.imgur.com/mT0jBq7.mp4

Not sure whether that guy is ok.

someone edit half-life sounds into this plz

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

This too. When friends started bragging about their 60fps gaming rigs, I even had my doubts because the prevailing wisdom, maybe? was that we only need ~24fps to fool our brains into thinking we're seeing a continuous image - Nyquist theorem for our eyes, basically. But there IS a marked difference with gaming at least, between 24 and 48 etc... I just don't know how the hell that works.

Short version is that anyone who told you about the framerate of the eye is an idiot, eyes don't have frames.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Letmebefrank posted:

not only there are fire classes, they are also not always the same in different countries : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_class . I am sure this has never caused any mistakes #osha

I min/max my fires with templates and prestige classes.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

ilmucche posted:

Whaaaaaat
This is not your ordinary house party
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT_78skgs9k

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

new season of mst3k coming along good

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

SyNack Sassimov posted:

It's a pretty simple point. Complaining about OSHA issues when THEIR loving COUNTRY IS BEING OVERRUN by a dictator who thinks 30 years is enough and it's time to get the band back together and sing Back in the USSR, is loving dumb as poo poo. Oh boo hoo they're welding close to Molotov cocktails, they should really think about creating those caltrops in an OSHA approved manner and get them inspected properly before oh what's that the country has been annexed while you were waiting for the inspector to show up?

There's a time and place for OSHA, guerrilla warfare ain't it.

edit: to summarize,

effective guerilla warfare means not blowing up your own people by accident, HTH

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Hilario Baldness posted:

Gotta carry that thing a few miles to meet up with a girl and talk to her for a bit

'be mine'

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I, too, have done that in skyrim

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nocheez posted:

You can't rent a truck from the hardware store unless you're buying poo poo from the hardware store. At least, that's what my local Lowes said

Home depot was fine with me renting a van to buy a couch from elsewhere

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

tater_salad posted:

why the gently caress would you try and light gas that you smell that's underground? lucky they still have their face and or house.

to kill gophers

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Elden ring bosses getting hardcore.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Karate Bastard posted:

Dang, you're right! That's genius!

I will now immediately cease learning anything meaningful, and proceed to wreak my malicious slaughter of men upon the world with uninformed recklessness rather than calculated premeditation, KB OUT!

That's premeditated now, you gotta drink until you forget the reasons for your scheme and do it all natural.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

I don’t understand the “for a year” part of this section, or maybe I don’t understand the “megawatt” part:

they say 'annual megawatts' so presumably that's megawatt-years?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Fortunately patents only last 17 years and don't go effectively perpetually like trademarks and copyright .

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

By popular demand posted:

I know nothing about construction, is there a transparent material that could actually work for this?

glass isn't as weak as people generally think

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

how else you gonna withdraw your petrodollars

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Get this: asbestos tablecloths

Shut up Charlemagne.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Shifty Nipples posted:

That reminds me of the "mutant" frogs with extra legs and stuff that was in the news years ago, did they ever figure out what was happening to the frogs and is it still happening? I haven't heard about it in a long time.

Nitrogen and phosphorus fertilizer from farm runoff ended up massively increasing the population of a parasitic fluke, Ribeiroia ondatrae, which causes frogs it parasitizes to grow extra limbs.

This is due to the Snail -> Frog -> Bird -> Snail life cycle the parasite has, basically more fertilizer means more algae which means more snails means more flukes.

Tunicate fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 15, 2022

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Xakura posted:

This is actually the correct way to transport propane, if it blows up it wont damage the truck

plus there's no static buildup since it's frequently grounded

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Good.

I watched the engine trouble video after it came up in some aviation threads, and it's the dumbest thing ever. ":effort: Oh...oh no...my engine's out. Time to barely waggle the stick for five seconds instead of doing any normal engine out procedures. Welp, good thing I have this parachute on, which I definitely have always worn before" *dives out cockpit door, which was unlatched before the engine went out*

if he was gonna halfass it, he should have halfassed it with a copilot and called it a dramatization when it came out his plane didn't crash

if he wasn't gonna halfass it he should have lead up to it with different stunts that established his parachute and strut cameras ahead of time

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

https://i.imgur.com/fh0at7K.mp4

I can’t decide if this is faked or not.

someone add mario 64 jump sounds plz

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Yeah once you replace 25% of your normal hydrogen, iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Deteriorata posted:

Due to the kinetic isotope effect, deuterium is actually too slow to participate in many metabolic reactions. You will get quite sick and likely die in a week or two if you drink nothing but D2O.

note that having below-normal deuterium levels in your water can also cause changes in cell growth

Naturally occurring deuterium is essential for the normal growth rate of cells

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8428617/

to the point where deuterium depletion is studied as part of cancer treatment. It's also promoted by a bunch of whackos as a fringe therapy