Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Captain Invictus posted:

it's neat but what's he making, just a sickle?

That there's a genuWINE meat hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Jabor posted:

Hell, smacking into an obstacle that you didn't notice happens even at walking speeds when people are distracted or the obstacle is hard to see! And it's very funny when caught on camera.

If there's footage of me constantly stubbing my toe or hitting my elbow on the door handle in the hall, please delete it.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Other Countries: Freedom to Roam
America: Yeah just shoot people on your countryside property, it's cool.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Computer viking posted:

Sure, that is simultaneously true. In general, people should adjust their speed to one where they can handle any events and obstacles they can reasonably expect to come across, plus some safety margin. The question then becomes "is this gate so hard to spot that it's outside what they should reasonably expect?"

It reminds me of root cause analysis in other fields: If users keep making a mistake, blaming the users is not productive. If bikers keep slamming into a gate while going at normal bike path speed, and that doesn't happen elsewhere, then maybe the design of the gate is part of the problem.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Konar posted:

I went and put a big gently caress off reflector on the gate can you all shut the gently caress up now, 75 more idiot bikers immediately plowed into it like moths into a flame

Now I'd pay good money to see a 75 biker pileup on the cam gate.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Cartoon Man posted:

The virgin bicyclist vs the Chad gate.

The virgin cyclist:
Thin and lean
Can't afford a car
Wants to get "healthy"
"Cares" about the planet

The chad gate:
Stealthy
Immovable Object
Has killed a man
Doesn't have to yield to bikes

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Seems like something I would do but about 3 times longer than I'd take to realize it.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ILL Machina posted:

Don't you need a mask for that too?

Iron Oxide only has a bunch of bad health risks if you inhale it so probably nothing to worry ab--oh wait.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Technically OSHA

Finally, I keep breaking dildos under load. They just shear. I'm tired of worrying that one day I'm going to survive my last dildo accident.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Apt edit.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

So it's like your nose in that you don't normally see it until you think about it, then when you do it's really annoying.
E: Oh or glasses.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

TehRedWheelbarrow posted:

or how you dont pay attention to your tongue existing.

:argh:

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I don't want what bargain bin Jack Black is selling.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Aww, he's so hungry.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

CainFortea posted:

There is no central authority or record keeping of this certification.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

What flavor pool water is that?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Truly doesn't get old.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I thought it was in his chest for a few moments.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Stoatbringer posted:

I’ve never worked with fibre-glass but I’m pretty sure this isn’t how you’re supposed to do it.

https://i.imgur.com/NXpG9H8.mp4

I can feel the splinters and the micro cuts in my lungs from here.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I've never been detected before an mri.
I've also never carried a gun into an mri scan...

l've had to remove a bunch of piercings but that's about it.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's like the old saying goes, tragedy plus buttocks equals comedy.

My wife attacked me: bad
My wife's butt attacked me: funny

Math checks out.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Didn't some kid die from a puck at an NHL game like a decade or so ago?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Lobsterboy posted:

yeah in columbus ohio, its why they mandated safety nets be put up in every rink.

it has a relatively okay ending: the mom found closure and connected with the player who hit the shot (that deflected off a stick into the lower bowl) https://www.dispatch.com/story/news/2010/12/18/nine-years-after-13-year/24048691007/

Sad Wholesome story, thanks, I didn't know all that extra stuff of their aftermath.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Humans are lame when tons of other animals just grow more teeth.
Lose a tooth? Get hosed and pay 20k.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

I'm already down two teeth, I'd rather not be gumming on food when I'm 70.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

KoRMaK posted:

really didn't need to hear terror in a person's voice this Sunday but i also clicked the play button

For real, it's pretty upsetting when you hear someone about to die.
I'm glad they got to him, hope he didn't suffer any life-threatening burns.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Kibayasu posted:

Couple pages back but when I was very young, forget exactly but at most in the 8-ish range, I was in a mixed age hockey activity at a community centre. All that really happens is some very basic skating lessons and then your group plays a very dumb game sideways across the rink. Putting aside that these are different sized kids with knives on their feet all that’s really supposed to happen is slowly sliding the puck in the general direction of a net. Anyways the point is that someone has to play the goalie in the games and it was my turn that day but they don’t actually have goalie pads for kids (only padding anyone really had was a helmet) so when you take a shot the puck it isn’t supposed to leave the ice. However one of the older kids in the class didn’t get that note and sent a slapshot right into my thigh from maybe 3 meters away. In the end all it did was leave a bruise because it was probably wasn’t moving all that fast but I didn’t sign up for the next group after that. I guess the safety plan was “rely on kids to not pretend they’re in a real hockey game.”

I have 3 hockey/skates stories since hockey came back up.

The first was when I played hockey as a kid maybe 6-8yo. We had to wear the helmets. Well when I collided with another kid the edge of my helmet came down and broke my collarbone. It hurt pretty fuckin bad.

The second was when I was maybe 14 we had a big group that basically rented out a rink to go ice-skating, one of the chaperones fell forward on the ice and a kid ran over their hand with the blades, it bled all over the place. The rink was red that day. No fingers were lost but coulda fooled me.

The third was when I was in highschool. Mixed ed gym class, we were playing floor hockey that day. Some really short guy got mad at me for some reason and starting bashing my legs with the stick. I mean relentlessly for a solid 30 wacks. I couldn't stand up for a while on my own, so that was pretty not so cool.

Tonight I'm going to an nhl game so hopefully I don't have a fourth horrible story afterwards.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

PittTheElder posted:

This whole story is like a universal Canadian experience. Fuckin' angry hockey guys ruining an extremely mediocre sport lol

For sure, idk why anyone gets angry over sports, personally. I'm not big on sports in general but bf likes the sharks so we're watching em while they're here in Denver the next few weeks. I think hockey is at least more entertaining than some sports but definitely not my favorite thing. Could be more boring, could be going to a baseball game or watching billiards or something. I never watch sports except when he's watching highlights.

The few sports I enjoy playing are pretty casual anyways like ultimate, disc golf, or bowling. I'm a monster on the ping pong table. That's about it. Haven't played hockey in at least 20 years.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

ilmucche posted:

I've seen some real heated games of ultimate. It's wild stuff

Maybe some high level play, I can do a mediocre hammertoss at the best of times.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Can it do fingernails?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Climbing this scaffolding at 10fps is pretty hard.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

redshirt posted:

Have you ever shot some hoops??

Just because I'm tall doesn't mean I'm good at basketball. :argh:

I haven't tried shooting a basketball for maybe a decade.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

SyNack Sassimov posted:

You live in America, guns are cheap and easy to get, just go get one and shoot that basketball. why not done

:blaster::boomshaka:

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Is it in?

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Looks like she's lucky she wasnt completely scalped. That's horrifying.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Ironhead posted:

Jesus, am I missing something, or could they have not lowered the bucket before dumping the dog?

Dirt looks real loose at least but yeah probly dropped him so he wouldn't jump out at height again.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

MrQwerty posted:

loving dumbasses

Not for rectal use

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

The dangers of low head dams being understated yet again.

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

Pickled Tink posted:

That's a weir. If a dam is overtopping you should have already evacuated everyone downstream.

That is exactly what low head dams do, they don't hold a reservoir.

google: " 'weir' or low head dam"
Same thing different name

Grey Cat fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Feb 6, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grey Cat
Jun 3, 2023

Doing stuff and things

His Divine Shadow posted:

this is why the gas pump handles here don't lock on

This is also what the comically large red button that says "emergency shutoff" is for.