Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Fabricated posted:

I dunno why people are janitoring most ryzen stuff since boost clocks hit basically what the chip can handle under any normal cooling solution

people want to feel like they are getting more than their moneys worth by squeezing some marginal extra performance

amd are happy to oblige

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

256MB L3 cache is insane

well so is running 128 threads simultaneously
gotta feed those things

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

well yeah, but im just thinking of having 2mb of total RAM in a x86 machine at one point

my first hard disk, on my amiga 1200, was 80MB
it was insane to me

now the average game's main executable file doesn't even fit in there lol

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

theadder posted:

how good is the amd now give me the rundown

10nm manufacturing is very very hard to do as it involves super cutting edge tech and intel, who still have their own fabs, is having a very hard time to make it work

amd subcontracts their manufacturing to global foundries and those guys have a working 10nm process

in addition amd invested in designing a brand new cpu architecture that is finally competitive with intel's

and also intel's microarchitecture turns out to be plagged with security issues being discovered lately and the fixes/workarounds pretty much always end up eroding performances

all in all it means amd has right now a technological advantage over intel and they are aggressively taking advantage of it to regain market shares

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Jabor posted:

elite dangerous in vr owns bones

except when you want to tab out to figure out where to go next because the in-game tools suck

elite dangerous (vr or otherwise) owns until you realize that to do anything you need to first spend at least 15 minutes jumping from star to star

turns out that space is big, empty and boring

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

quote:

bright, cheery, goofy dork aesthetic
isnt that every youtuber ever?

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Tankakern posted:

and he's got computer youtube's most punchable face, i get a visceral reaction everytime i see one of his youtube thumbnails

that's also every youtuber ever

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Perplx posted:

if you want to watch someone competent you watch level1techs, if you want memes and the latest hardware configured in dumb ways you watch linus

why would you want to watch a computer toucher at all

i mean looking in the mirror in the morning is already painful enough

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I am a messy and clumsy idiot who drops and break things all the time and when I build a PC it's always in haphazard conditions and I never managed to ever bend a single cpu pin even on amds

how the gently caress do you people manage that

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
caught up with the thread and I must say that this discussion about coolers and foreskin was illuminating

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Never
Twice the
Same
Colors

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Threadpuller

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
threadfrayer

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
sure, my motherboard and cpu are fried but for a sweet 10 seconds it owned the gently caress out of amd in a benchmark

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
"what is this, a cpu for ants???" - intel marketing circa 2022, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

Apple has made good processors, yes. But its still ARM, they just customized it.

I was under the impression that they designed their own CPU from the ground up based on the arm ISA, rather than "just customizing" some arm core.
In the same way that AMD didn't "just customize a x86".